Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #41
TrustNoPun
Human being with feelings

Hi, I’m attempting to use this on a Mac with the Faderport v2 and I’m having the same issue as RobinGShore. I noticed when I click on “Install Reasonus” the installation begins but there isn’t any dialogue saying the installation is finished, even after waiting 15 minutes or so. Is this normal or is something supposed to happen when the installation is complete?
TrustNoPun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #42
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Here's what my cdi.ini looks like
Code:
Page "Reasonus FaderPort" FollowMCP NoSynchPages UseScrollLink 
MidiSurface "Faderport v2" 25 25 "FP2.mst" "ReasonusFaderPort" 1 1 1 0
And Here's a screen shot showing everything in the CSI folder. Aside from the ini file it's just empty folders, looks like the mst file you mentioned did not get installed

Thanx Robin, Think I found the issue. Will try to fix it tonight. Keep you updated.
Navelpluisje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:48 AM   #43
Midifail

have the same issue I guess.. when I press the install button nothing happens and the csi folders stay empty.
windows 10 faderport v2
thank you for investigating!
Midifail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:46 AM   #44
Navelpluisje

Somehow it looks like the builds failed. There are 2 build for reasonus; One for the installer itself and one for the zone files, scripts etc. They both were build from an incorrect version.

Both builds should now be correct.

Download the latest ReaSonus version at ReaSonus Install
Check out the Documentation for all functionality.

Thanx all for helping me figuring this out.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #45
Midifail

thank you for the new build! the installer did install something now and prompted with "done" when finished.
but faderport does not work or show up in reaper. in preferences the contro/osc/web page is blank.
do i have to set this up manually in reaper?
thanks again!
Old 07-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #46
TrustNoPun

The new version worked for me, the installation completed and the Faderport is working. Only issue I see after initial testing is that Undo/Redo aren’t working when pressing Shift+Prev and Shift+Next. The other Shift functions all seem to be working. Thanks for working on this though, having full Faderport functionality is the only thing I’ve really been missing since switching to Reaper from Studio One, and the added functionality from CSI is really promising!

Last edited by TrustNoPun; 07-22-2022 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Didn’t proofread
Old 07-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #47
TrustNoPun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midifail View Post
I didn’t have to do anything extra with mine, just installed SWS/S&M extension, ran the Reasonus installer and it showed up in Control surfaces/OSC/web control automatically.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #48
Navelpluisje

Quote:
thank you for the new build! the installer did install something now and prompted with "done" when finished.
but faderport does not work or show up in reaper. in preferences the contro/osc/web page is blank.
thanks again!
Can you try, within the preferences > control/osc/web to add Control Surface Integrator? It should show up the correct settings then.

Please let me know if tthis works. If so I need to investigate this.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #49
RobinGShore

Seems to be working for me now with the newest build. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly test all the functionality, but at first glance everything seems good
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #50
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Seems to be working for me now with the newest build. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly test all the functionality, but at first glance everything seems good
That's good to hear. Also check the docs. Not all buttons have functions yet. If you have any idea for that, let me know.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #51
Midifail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelpluisje View Post
Can you try, within the preferences > control/osc/web to add Control Surface Integrator? It should show up the correct settings then.

Please let me know if tthis works. If so I need to investigate this.
there are two entries for Control Surface Integrator in my reaper preferences. both show up empty/blank when selected and faderport does nothing
Old 07-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #52
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
there are two entries for Control Surface Integrator in my reaper preferences. both show up empty/blank when selected and faderport does nothing
There should never be more than one instance of Control Surface Integrator.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #53
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Can you remove both of them and just add 1 csi instance? This should pick up the settings from the csi.ini file. If this does not work, can you send me the content of your csi.ini file?
You can get the file by going in the menu to Options > Show REAPER resource path.... . Then go to the CSI folder.

Once opened, you can also try the next content for this file:
Code:
This is also what the installer is adding to the file.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #54
Midifail

Quote:
Once opened, you can also try the next content for this file:
Code:
This is also what the installer is adding to the file.
this entry worked! the csi.ini was empty before. i also had to manually add the faderport midi in/out to the CSI Editor in Reaper Console Preferences.
everything seems to work now!
thank you!
Old 07-28-2022, 01:55 AM   #55
Navelpluisje

Quote:
this entry worked! the csi.ini was empty before. i also had to manually add the faderport midi in/out to the CSI Editor in Reaper Console Preferences.
everything seems to work now!
thank you!
That’s great to hear
Old 07-29-2022, 06:02 PM   #56
TrustNoPun

I noticed the Shift + Previous and Shift + Next buttons were listed as NoAction in the NavigatorChannel zone file, so I was able to get Undo/redo working by pasting the action IDs in there. All good now
Old 07-30-2022, 04:42 AM   #57
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNoPun View Post
I noticed the Shift + Previous and Shift + Next buttons were listed as NoAction in the NavigatorChannel zone file, so I was able to get Undo/redo working by pasting the action IDs in there. All good now
Ooh, will add these to the file also. Thanx
Old 08-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #58
perspectiveshifting

Thank you for all your work so far! I put in hours of customizing a CSI profile a couple years back and this immediately beats the functionality by a long shot for my FP8.

The one thing I am really missing from my previous profile is a function that used the Macro button to control whatever the last touched parameter was via the last fader (#8 for my FP8, but assumably #16 for a FP16). This was already built in to the CSI profile that I edited to make my own, so I'm not totally sure the difficulty in implementing something like this, but I found it to be an incredibly useful stopgap for having "analog" style control of a plugin when there was nothing mapped to MIDI controls.

Let me know if I can offer any other information here, as I would love to see a simple and robust way to interface with plugins like this implemented if it's not too difficult! Thank you again for all your hard work here, and I hope more people tip you at your buymeacoffee link!
perspectiveshifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #59
creal

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectiveshifting View Post
Thank you for all your work so far! I put in hours of customizing a CSI profile a couple years back and this immediately beats the functionality by a long shot for my FP8.

The one thing I am really missing from my previous profile is a function that used the Macro button to control whatever the last touched parameter was via the last fader (#8 for my FP8, but assumably #16 for a FP16). This was already built in to the CSI profile that I edited to make my own, so I'm not totally sure the difficulty in implementing something like this, but I found it to be an incredibly useful stopgap for having "analog" style control of a plugin when there was nothing mapped to MIDI controls.

Let me know if I can offer any other information here, as I would love to see a simple and robust way to interface with plugins like this implemented if it's not too difficult! Thank you again for all your hard work here, and I hope more people tip you at your buymeacoffee link!
This function is very interesting. I think it is essential to increase efficiency when working with plugins (as I always do) and automation. If it's possible to add this as an option, it would be very useful
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #60
Navelpluisje

Quote:

Muchos gracias for your donation.

I just checked the functionality and like it. I added it to the list. I found some zon files with this implemented, so think I will manage this. I only prefer using the Link button, because:
  • this is also how it is done for studio one
  • the naming makes more sense
  • this button is also on the FaderPort v2 (but unused there and Macro isn't)
Would it make more sense to use the fader or the pan knob? For me, not speaking out of experience, the pan knob makes sense because all the faders are still there for the volume of all the tracks. On the other hand (while typing this), a display will be used, so using the fader also makes sense, and maybe a fader is a bit nicer to adjust tha values with.

Will also add the fx/instrument name to the display.

First I will finish the improvements I'm working on right now, like;
  • Edit function key actions in REAPER
  • Make the mix management filters for the Audio button editable in REAPER
  • Encoder fixes
  • Undo, Redo buttons for the FP v2

Will be a pretty big release. Then will focus on the other improvements.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #61
Funkybot

Quote:
Muchos gracias for your donation.

I just checked the functionality and like it. I added it to the list. I found some zon files with this implemented, so think I will manage this. I only prefer using the Link button, because:
  • this is also how it is done for studio one
  • the naming makes more sense
  • this button is also on the FaderPort v2 (but unused there and Macro isn't)
Would it make more sense to use the fader or the pan knob? For me, not speaking out of experience, the pan knob makes sense because all the faders are still there for the volume of all the tracks. On the other hand (while typing this), a display will be used, so using the fader also makes sense, and maybe a fader is a bit nicer to adjust tha values with.

Will also add the fx/instrument name to the display.

First I will finish the improvements I'm working on right now, like;
  • Edit function key actions in REAPER
  • Make the mix management filters for the Audio button editable in REAPER
  • Encoder fixes
  • Undo, Redo buttons for the FP v2

Will be a pretty big release. Then will focus on the other improvements.
I don't have a Faderport but I use FocusedFXParam on my X-Touch One all the time. I recommend a fader. Good tactical experience, quick to dial in, and your get the displays for FXParamNameDisplay and FXParamValueDisplay. I'd say use Fader8/16.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #62
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I don't have a Faderport but I use FocusedFXParam on my X-Touch One all the time. I recommend a fader. Good tactical experience, quick to dial in, and your get the displays for FXParamNameDisplay and FXParamValueDisplay. I'd say use Fader8/16.
Yeah, was thinking the same. Got triggered by the pan encoder because of the FaderPort documentation.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:20 PM   #63
perspectiveshifting

Quote:
Yeah, was thinking the same. Got triggered by the pan encoder because of the FaderPort documentation.
Thanks for looking into my suggestion! I'm also a big fan of it being a fader instead of the pan knob here, at least for the FP8/16. The feel of the fader and the display reading out the effect level has always made this a favorite feature of mine.

Additionally, the sudden movement from the fader was a nice auditory/visual indicator that the active effect being controlled had changed. This was important because while it worked for about 95% of the last touched parameters, certain plugins (such as the Helix Native plugin in my experience) did not work with it. While the display not changing would also indicate this, the fader failing to "snap" to the new parameter was always my first indicator that I was still attached to the previous parameter.

As far as whether this function would be activated by the Link or Macro buttons, your argument for the Link button totally makes sense to me. As a FP8 user, either would work equally well from my perspective.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:44 AM   #64
creal

I also second the use of the fader instead of the pan knob. It's more precise and handy.
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #65
perspectiveshifting

One more small request - could you possibly put in an option to swap the function of the two shift buttons? I use my FP8 one-handed most of the time, so having the right shift be the shift that accesses the user functions is super useful.

I manually swapped them in the CSI file for myself, but this appears to have broken the Reasonus app's ability to update the user functions 😅
Old 08-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #66
Navelpluisje

Quote:
One more small request - could you possibly put in an option to swap the function of the two shift buttons? I use my FP8 one-handed most of the time, so having the right shift be the shift that accesses the user functions is super useful.

I manually swapped them in the CSI file for myself, but this appears to have broken the Reasonus app's ability to update the user functions 😅
I think the most save way to do this is changing it in the mst file. But also the mst files keep overwritten with an update. Will see what I can do. I'll add it to the list
Old 08-06-2022, 11:41 PM   #67
inertia

Quote:
I think the most save way to do this is changing it in the mst file. But also the mst files keep overwritten with an update. Will see what I can do. I'll add it to the list

Maybe add as a configurable item in the installer?
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:54 AM   #68
nlamont

Thanks very much for Reasonus. I just got a Faderport v2 yesterday and now have full functionality.

I have two Reaper installs, one a portable install. When I first installed Reasonus it detected my main install, the non-portable one, and set everything up there.

I'd now like to set it up for my portable install, but can't get back to the first Reasonus screen where it checks where your Reaper install is.

Is there a workaround for that?
nlamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 AM   #69
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlamont View Post
Thanks very much for Reasonus. I just got a Faderport v2 yesterday and now have full functionality.

I have two Reaper installs, one a portable install. When I first installed Reasonus it detected my main install, the non-portable one, and set everything up there.

I'd now like to set it up for my portable install, but can't get back to the first Reasonus screen where it checks where your Reaper install is.

Is there a workaround for that?
Easiest trick is to delete the installers settings file which will allow you to reinstall it again to a new directory. On Windows this is in the User app data folder under Roaming (from memory).

You don't say if you are on Mac or Windows though.

You can also just install it manually by copying over the files in the user plugins folder and configuring the CSI part yourself. However, the installer does edit some of Reaper's ini files and install the actions so this might not be easy as I make it out to be. You can also copy the user folder from your main install to the portable install unless you have reasons not to do that.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #70
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
You can also just install it manually by copying over the files in the user plugins folder and configuring the CSI part yourself. However, the installer does edit some of Reaper's ini files and install the actions so this might not be easy as I make it out to be. You can also copy the user folder from your main install to the portable install unless you have reasons not to do that.
This will not work well, because the installer is also registering the scripts. Unless you copy all the reasons entries from reaper-kb.

Removing the reasonus install folder as suggested would do the trick
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #71
Navelpluisje

Quote:

The next release will have an extra surface(mst) file with the shift keys swapped. Within the regular CSI settings in the preferences pane, you can select the other mst file then.
This way your swapped shift keys will not get overwritten with an update.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #72
nlamont

Hi. I'm still having some trouble with this. Frustrating as when it works it's brilliant!

I followed Inertia's suggestion of deleting the settings.json in the user folder Reasonus-install. I then ran the Reasonus install again and it gave me the chance to specify the Reaper install. So far so good. I went to Preferences/control surfaces and selected Control Surface Integrator with Surface as Faderport v2. I then went to MIDI devices and enabled it for input and output. Reaper still didn't recognised any of the Faderport controls. I closed it and re-opened it. Same.

I then went into my original install of Reaper and found it wasn't working there either.

I realised I hadn't run the PreSonus Universal Control app - I wasn't sure if you need to run that before Reaper. When I did that and went into the main Reaper install everything worked.

I closed it and went to the mobile install ensuring all the Preferences settings were the same and Universal Control was running. Still no action.

Closing that and going into the main install again, it's stopped working. I realise this is something you're already preparing a fix for. But I just wanted to clarify a few things:

1) is it necessary always to run Universal Control before opening Reaper?
2) if I select Control Surface Integrator in Preferences- Control/OSC/Web do I still have to select and enable Faderport v2 in MIDI Devices? Or should these be done in the opposite sequence?

3) If I have the issue of the Faderport not working the second time I open Reaper is the only fix a hard reboot or is there something else I can do?

I'm just asking these to rule out user error and not waste your time!
Old 08-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #73
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Hi. I'm still having some trouble with this. Frustrating as when it works it's brilliant!

I followed Inertia's suggestion of deleting the settings.json in the user folder Reasonus-install. I then ran the Reasonus install again and it gave me the chance to specify the Reaper install. So far so good. I went to Preferences/control surfaces and selected Control Surface Integrator with Surface as Faderport v2. I then went to MIDI devices and enabled it for input and output. Reaper still didn't recognised any of the Faderport controls. I closed it and re-opened it. Same.

I then went into my original install of Reaper and found it wasn't working there either.

I realised I hadn't run the PreSonus Universal Control app - I wasn't sure if you need to run that before Reaper. When I did that and went into the main Reaper install everything worked.

I closed it and went to the mobile install ensuring all the Preferences settings were the same and Universal Control was running. Still no action.

Closing that and going into the main install again, it's stopped working. I realise this is something you're already preparing a fix for. But I just wanted to clarify a few things:

1) is it necessary always to run Universal Control before opening Reaper?
2) if I select Control Surface Integrator in Preferences- Control/OSC/Web do I still have to select and enable Faderport v2 in MIDI Devices? Or should these be done in the opposite sequence?

3) If I have the issue of the Faderport not working the second time I open Reaper is the only fix a hard reboot or is there something else I can do?

I'm just asking these to rule out user error and not waste your time!
I'm sorry to hear it still is not going as expected.

1) There is no need to use the Presonus Universal Control app. The only requirement for the FaderPort is that it runs in Studio One mode. (You can check the Presonus documentation on page 5)

2) The FaderPort should not be enabled in the preferences > Midi Devices. It should be disabled, otherwise it will not work.

3) When the above is done, it should be ok and no hard reboot should be needed.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:23 AM   #74
nlamont

Thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate more suggestions if possible.

I've made sure the Faderport is in Studio One mode.

I've removed Universal Control from Windows Startup so it doesn't start automatically.

I've removed Faderport v2 from MIDI devices

I've rebooted and gone into my main Reaper install.

It now doesn't respond to anything from the Faderport. The Faderport slider doesn't move on opening Reaper as it did when the setup first worked. All the Faderport transport lights are on except Link, Pan, Channel and Scroll but nothing is working.

I've attached some screen shots in case I'm missing a setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi devices.JPG (103.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg control surfaces.JPG (35.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg control surfaces 2.JPG (69.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 02:51 AM   #75
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate more suggestions if possible.

I've made sure the Faderport is in Studio One mode.

I've removed Universal Control from Windows Startup so it doesn't start automatically.

I've removed Faderport v2 from MIDI devices

I've rebooted and gone into my main Reaper install.

It now doesn't respond to anything from the Faderport. The Faderport slider doesn't move on opening Reaper as it did when the setup first worked. All the Faderport transport lights are on except Link, Pan, Channel and Scroll but nothing is working.

I've attached some screen shots in case I'm missing a setting.
Hi Nolan, not sure if you’ve seen it, but I sent you a DM
Old 08-14-2022, 04:17 AM   #76
nlamont

Seen it now and replied. Thanks
Old 08-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #77
imloggedin

Not sure if I am missing something. I setup one plugin map (with limited documentation) and when I press the "Edit Plugins" button twice I can see the name of the plugin listed as mapped. I press the select button to select the plugin and instead it selects the tracks that was on that fader, as if I was in track mode. I have tried this pressing the "Edit Plugins" button once or twice.
imloggedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #78
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Not sure if I am missing something. I setup one plugin map (with limited documentation) and when I press the "Edit Plugins" button twice I can see the name of the plugin listed as mapped. I press the select button to select the plugin and instead it selects the tracks that was on that fader, as if I was in track mode. I have tried this pressing the "Edit Plugins" button once or twice.
Hmmmm, there seems to be something missing in the docs. Here's the list of buttons and what they do:
  • Select: Select the track (not the effect). This because when clicking the Edit Plugin once, you should be able to select the track to show the list of plugins for the selected track.
  • Mute: Toggle the effect Bypass
  • Solo: Select the effect

I will add this to the documentation as well.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #79
Navelpluisje

Default New release coming v1.0.0

New version coming v1.0.0
We're in the final stage before the next release.
This will (if all goes well) be released on Friday the 26th. But because of the Caution below, I notify about this release right now, so everyone who needs to prepare can prepare for the next release.
This release will have the next changes:

Features
  • [FP v2] Added undo and redo functionality to the next and previous buttons Check the documentation
  • [All] Added ReaSonus FaderPort Control to manage the function keys (All controllers) and the mix management filters (FP 8 & 16 only). The tool can be opened by clicking the Macro button Check the documentation
  • [All] SlotBank and TrackBank actions now also work with encoders
  • [All] Added option for increment and decrement action for encoders
  • [Installer] Added installer version number to the about-page
  • [All] Added functionality for editing the last touched plugin parameter with the last fader
  • [FP 8 & 16] Added option to swap the left and right Shift button Check the documentation

Improvements
  • [FP 8 & 16] State-handling of the navigator buttons
  • [FP 8 & 16] Default color of Bypass, Macro and Link are now white (is easier on the eye)
  • [All] Updates in the documentation Check the documentation
  • [All] Installer removes unused files

Bugfixes
  • [Installer] Resolved issue with not correct functioning of the encoder.
  • [Installer] Resolved issue of CSI not popping up due to too many csurf lines in reaper.ini
  • [FP 8 & 16] Fixed the orange buttons when no track color is available
  • [All] Fixed issue with weird responding Touch automation

Removed
  • [All] Editing function key functionality in the installer

Quote:
¡¡¡¡Caution!!!!
This release also removes files it will not use. This is to prevent duplicate zonenames and gives the ability to remove zones not used anymore. The installer does not know what an fx zone is.
In the documentation is a section on how to organise the plugins to prevent this for the next releases.
¡¡¡¡PLEASE SAFE YOUR ZONE FILES IF YOU HAVE CREATED YOUR OWN PLUGIN ZONES BEFORE UPDATING!!!!
Whats next
  • Porting everything to CSI v2

Documentation
Documentation is extended with all the new features and info on how to create a plugin zone file.
The new documentation is already available
If you see any spelling or grammar mistakes, please notify me and send me the correct spelling or grammar, so I can improve the documentation even further.

Thanx
Thanx to everyone helping me out making this release, reporting bugs, requesting changes and donating.
Special thanx to jtucker for testing the FaderPort v2 and inertia for testing the FaderPort 16 and building the windows version

Last edited by Navelpluisje; 08-24-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #80
imloggedin

Quote:
Hmmmm, there seems to be something missing in the docs. Here's the list of buttons and what they do:
  • Select: Select the track (not the effect). This because when clicking the Edit Plugin once, you should be able to select the track to show the list of plugins for the selected track.
  • Mute: Toggle the effect Bypass
  • Solo: Select the effect

I will add this to the documentation as well.
This doesn't make sense to me. If you click edit plugins and it shows you a list of plugins, how do you select one of them to edit?
imloggedin is offline   Reply With Quote