Human being with feelings

Default v6.68+dev1003 - October 3 2022

v6.68+dev1003 - October 3 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: razor edits on master track envelopes
  • * Includes feature branch: selected media item appearance changes
  • * Includes feature branch: track grouping manager dialog
  • * Includes feature branch: CLAP plugin support
  • * Includes feature branch: track media/razor edit grouping
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • + Fades/crossfades: limit automatically created fade length to half the width of the arrange view
  • + Notation editor: by default, break beams on every 1/4 note in 4/4 time
  • + ReaScript: drag/drop from FX browser to gfx windows will send filenames of @fx:fx_ident to gfx.getdropfile() [t=271052]
  • + VST: activate/deactivate VST3 busses on the fly in response to pin mapper changes
  • # Notation: rename "whote note trill" ornament to "trill line"
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 10-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
[*]# Notation: rename "whote note trill" ornament to "trill line"
Hi Devs, you have probably misunderstood what the trill problem was.

It is not about the horizontal axis but about the vertical.

Both the half-tone and whole-tone trill creates a trill line for the whole duration of the note. That works as it should.

But the half-tone trill is an oscilaltion between the base note and another note which is a semitone higher. A whole-tone trill is similar oscillation but with the note that is a whole step higher instead.

So the current change in the name makes no sense. The request was, if I remember correctly, to specify that one is half-tone and the other one is whole-tone.

Here is a demonstration between the half-tone and whole-tone trill. The notation works fine, it is just the naming.

bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
Daodan

Enable "Ripple editing all tracks", create and drag razor area. Items removed.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
sockmonkey72

I had some questions/notes about the new child/parent/send routing options here, in case they were missed.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Fixing, thanks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #6
X-Raym

Click drag FX could also from TCP slots context and Mixer slots :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Notation editor: by default, break beams on every 1/4 note in 4/4 time
Thanks.

This works well for 8th notes, but there is a regression with syncopated rhythms:

current dev version: (not good)

latest release version: (good)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
mpl

Thanks Justin, works like a charm:

mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
mpl

Oh this also allow FX Rack script (and other FX-related scripts with GUI) to support such drop, which is awesome.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Fixing, thanks.
FWIW this works as expected here on macOS (10.14)
PhelixK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Thanks.

This works well for 8th notes, but there is a regression with syncopated rhythms:
Ah, well, hmm. This may be a situation where the existing (before this dev version) behavior is the least bad. The general rule is that beams will break on the primary beat as defined in the metronome pattern. The default pattern for 4/4 is ABBB, so beams only break on the 1 beat. This dev version has special handling for default 4/4 to instead break on all 4 beats, but as you observed that is not desired except in specific, basic situations. So I think we will revert the change as the previous behavior was preferable in more situations.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #12
PhelixK

Quote:

* Includes feature branch: razor edits on master track envelopes

# Razor edits: fix save/load and undo/redo when using razor edits on master track
– here the Razor edit envelope area isn't recalled on project save/reload.

Edit:
just to show what I'm referring to above, and also reported in v6.68+dev0927.
– it's recall of the RE selection area and ofc. not the editing itself. Here's what shows when project is reloaded and where I would expect the RE selection area to include the envelope lane.

Last edited by PhelixK; 10-03-2022 at 12:57 PM. Reason: example
PhelixK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
bFooz

Quote:
Ah, well, hmm. This may be a situation where the existing (before this dev version) behavior is the least bad. The general rule is that beams will break on the primary beat as defined in the metronome pattern. The default pattern for 4/4 is ABBB, so beams only break on the 1 beat. This dev version has special handling for default 4/4 to instead break on all 4 beats, but as you observed that is not desired except in specific, basic situations. So I think we will revert the change as the previous behavior was preferable in more situations.
I see. Now I don't know which one is better.

Considering that 4/4 is the most common time signature and these two cases are kind of opposite but common, it might be worth to put some worktime into it.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
ovnis

When we click on a sample inside the media explorer, It would be great to have the possibility to create a track with the mpl's instrument instead of reasampler.
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #15
tohubohu

Quote:
Thanks.

I didn't understand how you manage to write these notes. Could you please detail with a gif the process of inserting the notes in this example? thank you
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:12 PM   #16
tohubohu

Quote:
in the version before, in 3/4 and 2/4 there was no problem and it broke on the first, second, et third time for 3/4 and first and second time for 2/4 . I understand nothing.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
in the version before, in 3/4 and 2/4 there was no problem and it broke on the first second et third time for 3/4 and first and second time for 2/4 . I understand nothing.
2/4 and 3/4 have special handling that treats the default AB and ABB patterns as AA and AAA instead for the purpose of notation breaks. The change in dev1003 was to handle 4/4 similarly, but that creates the unwanted situation that bfooz describes above.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #18
tohubohu

Quote:
Thanks.

I can't reproduce this on Mac. by minimizing ties, one obtains the correct writing. I don't understand too.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #19
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
When we click on a sample inside the media explorer, It would be great to have the possibility to create a track with the mpl's instrument instead of reasampler.
With last version this does not make sense since rack does not take RS5k actual note as a mark for appending to specific note, but internal track data. There are couple internal of variables created inside track on drop sample, so implementing it from Reaper side seems impossible.

Btw drop from media explorer works as well as 'show sample in ME' buttons. And probably I can take if you do "export sample to new rs5k track' from media explorer, and the new created somewhere inside rack folder structure (but again, rack does not catch children by folder structure).

Last edited by mpl; 10-03-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:17 AM   #20
bFooz

Quote:
I can't reproduce this on Mac. by minimizing ties, one obtains the correct writing. I don't understand too.
Yes, this is actually true. I use Minimize ties for all notes at OFF. For reasons such as this:

(Minimize ties for all notes ON:
)

So the question is what should be the default behavior for syncopated rhythms:
  • On the one hand, in the current dev version, you can always manually minimize ties for the notes.
  • On the other hand, in the official release, the you can always manually break the beams either by settings AAAA pattern yourself or by the "Beam Together" command.

So probably the original behavior. You can have the current dev behaviour in it as well but the opposite is not true.

Ofcourse for me the ideal would be the best of both worlds: proper beaming automatically and proper tieing automatically.

The pattern is set either in the "Metronome and pre-roll settings" or for each individual tempo marker. This is actually a hidden feature, I have learned about this only a few days ago that this thing affects beaming.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:41 AM   #21
tohubohu

Quote:
(Minimize ties for all notes ON:
)
you write like that rather don't you? with the voices and the change of direction of the stems?

Quote:
The pattern is set either in the "Metronome and pre-roll settings" or for each individual tempo marker. This is actually a hidden feature, I have learned about this only a few days ago that this thing affects beaming.
you teach me. thank you
Old 10-04-2022, 03:09 AM   #22
tohubohu

Quote:
2/4 and 3/4 have special handling that treats the default AB and ABB patterns as AA and AAA instead for the purpose of notation breaks. The change in dev1003 was to handle 4/4 similarly, but that creates the unwanted situation that bfooz describes above.
and is it complicated to add in the code another default behavior of beams for syncopated rhythms? (if I understand everything correctly )
Old 10-04-2022, 03:35 AM   #23
operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Oh this also allow FX Rack script (and other FX-related scripts with GUI) to support such drop, which is awesome.
How is it with Keyboard-Shortcuts? Are they`re working there too? That would be sooo incredible... I have my Instruments/FX (ca.50) set on KB-shortcuts. This is one of my most favorite feature about/in Reaper --> which allows working at the speed of thought where other software is crippeling you mentally with "click-traps".
Being able to insert certain FX via Keyboard Shortcut is pure gold [economically and creativly].

Last edited by operator; 10-04-2022 at 04:08 AM.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:24 AM   #24
mccrabney

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: razor edits on master track envelopes
i noticed that this doesn't work on the tempo envelope. why is this? seems like it would be a prime candidate.

indeed, razor edit selections started in the track fields and ended in the master track should allow users to move entire blocks of their project with the tempo map intact, rather than requiring two separate edits.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:44 AM   #25
mccrabney

(first, tangential to the main point of this post: a crash occurs when you move a big RE spanning a project that includes a portion of the master track envelope space.)

in this gif, i am restructuring my project by creating and moving a large RE that intends to include the relevant tempo envelope.

normally, i'd use regions to do this, but as per my recent bug report, this badly warps untrimmed AI when your project contains tempo changes. moving by RE does not have this issue.

so instead, i use big RE selections to do it. however, since it doesn't pick up the tempo envelope, i would have to manually select, cut, and paste the points elsewhere.

tempo points are part of the project, tied in time to the objects being selected and move by RE. please allow them to follow RE movement, it's the most important envelope that the master track has.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:03 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
(first, tangential to the main point of this post: a crash occurs when you move a big RE spanning a project that includes a portion of the master track envelope space.)
Hm, I'm having trouble reproducing that crash. Is it possible for you to share a minimal project that shows the problem?
Old 10-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
The pattern is set either in the "Metronome and pre-roll settings" or for each individual tempo marker.
You can also edit the pattern from the notation editor, by right-clicking on the start of a measure and choosing "change tempo / time signature / rhythm pattern".
Old 10-04-2022, 05:16 AM   #28
mccrabney

project attached. it seems like this occurs more when you have more data onscreen, eg a near-complete project. with little/no data onscreen, it takes more dramatic shaking/moving to trigger the crash.

Attached Files
File Type: rpp crash.rpp (9.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-04-2022, 05:24 AM   #29
tohubohu

Quote:
YThis is actually a hidden feature, I have learned about this only a few days ago that this thing affects beaming.
Quote:
You can also edit the pattern from the notation editor, by right-clicking on the start of a measure and choosing "change tempo / time signature / rhythm pattern".
maybe it should be added in the window that the pattern affects the beams?!
because you can't guess
Old 10-04-2022, 05:59 AM   #30
bFooz

Quote:
maybe it should be added in the window that the pattern affects the beams?!
because you can't guess
+ 1
Old 10-04-2022, 08:04 AM   #31
MonkeyBars

Just a quick note that I'm working on a super secret (not really lol) script project offering a routing feature missing in Reaper natively with a complex workaround that would really benefit by being able to select parent channels. (For example, setting ch 5-6 to go out the master/parent send)

However, the current dev implementation doesn't really seem to work on my end. Would be great for 6.69!
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #32
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Just a quick note that I'm working on a super secret (not really lol) script project offering a routing feature missing in Reaper natively with a complex workaround..
Post-fader FX?!?!?
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #33
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Post-fader FX?!?!?
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote