Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2022, 06:23 AM   #41
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South, UK
Posts: 14,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
When you are moving items from a track that does not have fixed lanes, you can't move them into the add-lane area of a different track in a single move.
Ah! yeah, it works if both tracks have fixed lanes active.

That seems a bit restrictive though but if there's a reason that it's that way and this came out of previous testing issues then it is what it is

My situation that I needed it for was quite unique (dragging multiple audio items from different tracks into lanes, sending each audio item to different channels then glueing into a multichannel wav) but in sound design we often move stuff around like this.

Could it be a preference?
__________________
subproject FRs click here
note: don't search for my pseudonym on the web. The "musicbynumbers" you find is not me or the name I use for my own music.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #42
theFRXST
Human being with feelings
 
theFRXST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 132
Default

i cant believe they are taking a break

edit: and theres now a new build lol there goes that joke
__________________
thefrxst.com

Last edited by theFRXST; 11-11-2022 at 03:09 PM.
theFRXST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #43
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South, UK
Posts: 14,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
When you are moving items from a track that does not have fixed lanes, you can't move them into the add-lane area of a different track in a single move.
Just had to do a lot of moving audio items from various tracks all on to the same fixed lane for some sound design work and would have been so much faster if I could drop straight on.

Please consider an option to not limit where we can create new fixed lanes from at some point please devs. Thanks!
__________________
subproject FRs click here
note: don't search for my pseudonym on the web. The "musicbynumbers" you find is not me or the name I use for my own music.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #44
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings
 
bolgwrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my arse in Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Just had to do a lot of moving audio items from various tracks all on to the same fixed lane for some sound design work and would have been so much faster if I could drop straight on.
Just to say if that was me I'd use a kbd shortcut to set the source tracks to fixed lane beforehand.
__________________
www.sachetsofrelish.com
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #45
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South, UK
Posts: 14,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Just to say if that was me I'd use a kbd shortcut to set the source tracks to fixed lane beforehand.
I did try that but ran into an issue whereby the item I was dragging would force the track I was dragging into to change amount of lanes or something like that. It was yesterday though so I forget the exact issue but it wasn't that smooth of a way to do it .

Also, I use this way a lot so not having to do that would be great.
__________________
subproject FRs click here
note: don't search for my pseudonym on the web. The "musicbynumbers" you find is not me or the name I use for my own music.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:41 AM   #46
warinhari
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
Default Items in lanes sort by length

Hi, I have noticed that when I record media in lanes, those new items are sorting differently than it has been in previous Reaper versions. They sort horizontally by length and not by the oldest how it has been. This makes orientation in Reaper session quite difficult and confusing.

I have discovered that this change has happened in update from Reaper v6.53 to v6.54 and is still in current version.


Sorry if I am just missing something and thank you for any reply
warinhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:48 AM   #47
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warinhari View Post
Hi, I have noticed that when I record media in lanes, those new items are sorting differently than it has been in previous Reaper versions. They sort horizontally by length and not by the oldest how it has been. This makes orientation in Reaper session quite difficult and confusing.

I have discovered that this change has happened in update from Reaper v6.53 to v6.54 and is still in current version.


Sorry if I am just missing something and thank you for any reply
Yes, this thing is really odd, but it was a way to fix something, I don't remember what. Anyway I agree it's not ideal.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:49 AM   #48
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 15,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warinhari View Post
Hi, I have noticed that when I record media in lanes, those new items are sorting differently than it has been in previous Reaper versions. They sort horizontally by length and not by the oldest how it has been. This makes orientation in Reaper session quite difficult and confusing.

I have discovered that this change has happened in update from Reaper v6.53 to v6.54 and is still in current version.


Sorry if I am just missing something and thank you for any reply
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing this, or not understanding the report. This is what I see:

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:48 AM   #49
warinhari
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing this, or not understanding the report. This is what I see:

That's weird. Do you think there may be some toggle function which is affecting this?

I have tried to install v6.53 and it works like this, but after updating to v6.69
even in the same project those items are sorted differently just after opening it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif version6.53.gif (213.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: gif version6.69a.gif (196.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by warinhari; 11-15-2022 at 05:51 AM. Reason: needed to add gif
warinhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:52 AM   #50
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warinhari View Post
That's weird. Do you think there may be some toggle function which is affecting this?

I have tried to install v6.53 and it works like this, but after updating to v6.69
even in the same project those items are sorted differently just after opening it.
Are you sure you are using fixed lanes mode? It would be good, if you show the behavior you are describing.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #51
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 15,696
Default

Ah, no, the report is not about fixed lane mode, it's about the behavior in the release builds (not the +dev builds) when Options/New recording that overlaps existing media items is set to "creates new media items", and "offset overlapping items vertically" is enabled. Looking into this.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.