Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-08-2023, 08:38 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default resolved: recording automation into AI: a few misc bugs

if you start recording into an AI while inside a time selection, a TS-wide AI is created at the moment of record start. this unexpectedly overwrites any pre-existing automation you may have inside the TS.

when "trim content behind automation items" is turned on, the expected behavior would be for the envelope content to create a new AI inside the old AI, like this:

however, this shows another bug: new AI are created to be a certain size, and this block unexpectedly overwrites a large piece of the underlying AI. here, i think that the new AI should be as small as it needs to be, even if this results in tiny AI. dealing with these tiny AI would be better than getting a large bite taken out of what was already there.

ideally, the content would get recorded into the existing AI, in the same manner that MIDI does, but i'm content with whatever is easier here.

along the lines of the "bite," here are some more related issues:

if you're close to an existing AI and you start recording a new AI, the new AI is again created in a way that overwrites a section of the old AI.

this also happens when playback is stopped and the fader is moved in a write mode. note that it's location dependent - if you're far enough away, the new AI is created and ends at the old AI's beginning, as expected. when you get close enough, the "bite" happens:

Last edited by mccrabney; 02-16-2023 at 04:36 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Thanks, some good things to look at here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
ideally, the content would get recorded into the existing AI, in the same manner that MIDI does, but i'm content with whatever is easier here.
at the moment it does, if the existing AI is selected. Which I guess is handy but I can see how that would be an extra requirement. Perhaps an option to always record into existing AIs would be useful?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:11 AM   #3
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
at the moment it does, if the existing AI is selected. Which I guess is handy but I can see how that would be an extra requirement.
ah, i thought i'd seen the behavior before.

Quote:
Perhaps an option to always record into existing AIs would be useful?
very useful, i'd use that.

thanks for the help with these. if you're interested in looking at another AI issue, here's one that is caused by having 2 envelope points that both exist at AI endpoint.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=253541

Old 02-09-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
mccrabney

if a new AI bisects a pre-existing AI, the pre-existing AI gets pooled unexpectedly. i pool very rarely, and only manually, so it's unexpected to see it happen automatically.

if you implement the option you discussed above, to write directly into any pre-existing AI, i won't see this behavior anymore -- but it might be worth investigating.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
if a new AI bisects a pre-existing AI, the pre-existing AI gets pooled unexpectedly. i pool very rarely, and only manually, so it's unexpected to see it happen automatically.

if you implement the option you discussed above, to write directly into any pre-existing AI, i won't see this behavior anymore -- but it might be worth investigating.
Ah, it should at least follow the preference for pooling AIs on split, will look at that!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote