Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-15-2023, 11:20 PM   #3241
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
hm, i'm trying to show an empty FX chain using
Type: "FX chains: Browse FX"
and Display: "FX Chain (limited feedback)"

but i get "Failed to hit target: FX not available"

am i doing something wrong, or is this setup not able to show an empty FX chain? after adding an arbitrary FX, this action works as expected.
This is not built for showing the FX chain but for showing (cycling through) FX which is on the FX chain. Maybe you can use "Project: Invoke REAPER action" plus the setting "With track" (which causes the chosen track to be selected upfront before executing the action). Then choose the action that shows the FX chain for the currently selected track, I think one exists
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:24 PM   #3242
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
Can realearn work with HUI? I have an older board with HUI control, just wondering if it's worth investigating realearn or if I'd be spinning my wheels needlessly. I tried searching this thread, but didn't come up with anything. The user guide mentions HUI with the Mackie Control preset, but that doesn't seem to work at all.
I'm not sure to be honest because I never had a HUI device to test with. I thought it's somehow a subset of MCU but maybe not.

However, I'm pretty sure HUI uses MIDI for communication. And ReaLearn supports all the essentials of the MIDI spec. That means it should be possible to make HUI work. MCU support is also possible just by building a preset! No code additions were necessary to support it. Guess it's the same for HUI. If you have time to dig into it, you could do other HUI users a favor here by building and publishing a preset.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:20 AM   #3243
Fleeesch

A user reverse engineered the HUI protocol

It's all MIDI AFAIK.
Fleeesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:33 AM   #3244
KennyG5000

Hi there,

Hope you can provide some assistance with this user case. I have successfully mapped a VST using Realearn but targeting a specific track (track <this>, FX <particular> and parameter <particular>) for each parameter. I want to avoid using the auto load on focus option you can set for dynamic mapping of focussed fx, as I want to use more than one mapping at a time (and don't want to be restricted to needing the fx focussed on screen whilst controlling it).

If I load the saved parameters mapping within a new instance of Realearn, and open a new instance of the same Fx (in this case the Arturia MiniFreak V), Realearn will understanderably not recognise the plugin and I need to manually point it at it again. The only workaround I have to this issue (which is not insurmountable by any means) is to export the entire json to clipboard, open the code in Visual Studio Code and manually replace all of the "fxGUID" instances with the 'new' fxGUID value. This works perfectly, but wondered if I am missing an easier step (such as an option to replace all of the fxGUID instances within Realearn itself). I don't know whether you can select all mappings and make this change globally (but couldn't see a way to do this). Any help greatly appreciated thanks!
KennyG5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:55 AM   #3245
Fleeesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG5000 View Post
Hi there,

Hope you can provide some assistance with this user case. I have successfully mapped a VST using Realearn but targeting a specific track (track <this>, FX <particular> and parameter <particular>) for each parameter. I want to avoid using the auto load on focus option you can set for dynamic mapping of focussed fx, as I want to use more than one mapping at a time (and don't want to be restricted to needing the fx focussed on screen whilst controlling it).

If I load the saved parameters mapping within a new instance of Realearn, and open a new instance of the same Fx (in this case the Arturia MiniFreak V), Realearn will understanderably not recognise the plugin and I need to manually point it at it again. The only workaround I have to this issue (which is not insurmountable by any means) is to export the entire json to clipboard, open the code in Visual Studio Code and manually replace all of the "fxGUID" instances with the 'new' fxGUID value. This works perfectly, but wondered if I am missing an easier step (such as an option to replace all of the fxGUID instances within Realearn itself). I don't know whether you can select all mappings and make this change globally (but couldn't see a way to do this). Any help greatly appreciated thanks!
Have you tried changing the Target Selector from "Particular" to "Named"? If you give your target FX a very specific name it should be targeted no matter where it is positioned in the FX chain.
Fleeesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:07 AM   #3246
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
This is not built for showing the FX chain but for showing (cycling through) FX which is on the FX chain. Maybe you can use "Project: Invoke REAPER action" plus the setting "With track" (which causes the chosen track to be selected upfront before executing the action). Then choose the action that shows the FX chain for the currently selected track, I think one exists
thank you! i missed the little "with track" checkbox.

the issue i have with this solution is that, if the specified track doesn't exist, the action will open the FX chain of whatever track is already selected.

i'm trying to set up conditions for buss subfolders (drum1, drum2, inst1, inst2 etc) that i create in a prj as i go -- so they don't exist in the default prj template.

i'm not quite up to speed on conditions, but is there a way to specify what to do if the track doesn't yet exist for the "with track" param ?
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #3247
Vladistone

Quote:
In order to display text feedback of any kind, you need to set source section to MIDI / Display / Mackie LCD. In the glue section, you need to switch to "Textual feedback: Text expression". Then you can enter text into the text field below and it should appear on the display. In the source section, you can select display "All" and line "2" in order to merge all channel strip LCD monitors into one, occupying the second line. If you do that, no other active mapping should interact with those portions of the displays. Doing so would cause display conflicts. Doing more fine-grained layout logic is currently not possible with the "Mackie LCD" source. If you need that, "MIDI script" source is the way to go ... but it forces you to write the complete display logic yourself, which can be overwhelming.
I followed your advice and ran {{ target.fx.name }} display on the entire MCU LCD line.
the only thing I didn't find is how the pre-installed list of controller's virtual elements is rewritten or supplemented? If there is a need to train the controller for such feedback, then you will have to create your own name / abbreviation for such a virtual destination ... This would not be a problem, but such a virtual source is not written into the list of controller compartment elements (therefore, you will have to keep this name somewhere in a note book? for example #Line_1) or is there another way to register the virtual element of the MCU? I would like to add it to the list of pre-installed ones, since it is such as a prefabricated / combined MCU display of 8 channels LCDs
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #3248
BaronStinky

Quote:
... If you have time to dig into it, you could do other HUI users a favor here by building and publishing a preset.
I'd like to try, and I'll post back here if I have any success. I've watched some tutorials and read the first few manual sections, but so far I'm at a brick wall. Trying to add a mapping results in very weird behavior.

Ex 1: Add One, learn source, touch first fader, learn target, move one reaper volume fader. Relearn adds the midi data just fine, but the reaper fader jumps to zero and the controller input doesn't do anything.

Ex 2: Add One, learn source, touch momentary button, learn target, insert marker. Now when button is pressed it inputs a marker on press AND release. Editing any option including On Press Only causes it to stop inserting a marker entirely

Certain other controls don't seem to be outputing midi at all, at least not that reaper sees. So I'll keep tinkering and reading, but for anyone else with a HUI who stumbled on this, the search goes on.
Controller is a Focusrite Control 2802.

This particular device aside, ReaLearn is very cool! Thanks for all your work on this, helgoboss.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #3249
mccrabney

i'm enjoying experimenting with "when target value met."

i understand that this (and conditional activation) is currently used to activate/deactivate mappings, but is there a way to use "when target value met" as a mapping Source?

for example, create a Target mapping with the condition: "If track is selected" ...

and then another mapping which would respond to that Target y > 0 with its own Target result, eg "invoke REAPER action" ?
Old 02-17-2023, 02:18 AM   #3250
KennyG5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
Have you tried changing the Target Selector from "Particular" to "Named"? If you give your target FX a very specific name it should be targeted no matter where it is positioned in the FX chain.
Thanks for this pointer, that is exactly what I was looking for (very cool that you can name FX instances in Reaper coming from Cubase where this wasn't possible!)
Old 02-17-2023, 04:57 AM   #3251
mccrabney

is there a more thorough writeup on how to use wildcard asterisks? or is there a way to use wildcards to do something like "contains characters: cat" which shows true for "catch," "scathing, and "fornicator," but not "orca taco" ?
Old 02-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #3252
Vladistone

Default Prepared a newest update with more screenshots for user-guide.adoc

Helgoboss and Realearn users - greetings!
Unfortunately I'm newcomer to Github and can't help with creating scripts or customizing them. But my own desire to help others (like me - noobs of the learning curve), made me reconsider the structure of the user guide in the hope that it will make it easier to get started with VSTi Realearn.
Support me or give useful critic,.. maybe are there offer or will appeal new ideas for usability of guide navigation?:
https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ussion-4865836

First of all, I'm interesting in procedure the change approval "pull-request". Namely:
- maybe I'm doing something wrong? Because I don't see activity of gighub community to my changes?
Hopefully, will this patch of the manual attract more new supporters to ease the Realearn learning curve?

PS:
I noticed in the description of the user guide a sentence that misleads me: (see the add screenshot)
- Is this a typo? Or an accidental unsuccessful deletion of text from the Help section?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Help confuse.jpeg (181.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Vladistone; 02-17-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #3253
helgoboss

Quote:
thank you! i missed the little "with track" checkbox.

the issue i have with this solution is that, if the specified track doesn't exist, the action will open the FX chain of whatever track is already selected.

i'm trying to set up conditions for buss subfolders (drum1, drum2, inst1, inst2 etc) that i create in a prj as i go -- so they don't exist in the default prj template.

i'm not quite up to speed on conditions, but is there a way to specify what to do if the track doesn't yet exist for the "with track" param ?
Oh right. What about I add a checkbox "Execute only if track exists"? If you think this is useful, please create an FR.

Ha, you could indeed do that now already with activation condition "When target value met" but it would be more effort because you would need another mapping with target "Track" that points to the same track.

Last edited by helgoboss; 02-18-2023 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:03 AM   #3254
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
I followed your advice and ran {{ target.fx.name }} display on the entire MCU LCD line.
the only thing I didn't find is how the pre-installed list of controller's virtual elements is rewritten or supplemented? If there is a need to train the controller for such feedback, then you will have to create your own name / abbreviation for such a virtual destination ... This would not be a problem, but such a virtual source is not written into the list of controller compartment elements (therefore, you will have to keep this name somewhere in a note book? for example #Line_1) or is there another way to register the virtual element of the MCU? I would like to add it to the list of pre-installed ones, since it is such as a prefabricated / combined MCU display of 8 channels LCDs
The names of the virtual control elements are defined in the controller preset. E.g. the name "e.g. "ch1/lcd/line1" is simply a name I chose for the "Mackie Control" controller preset. It's not hard-coded in ReaLearn. You could give it any other name or create completely different virtual control elements. You could also choose to not use virtual sources at all in the main compartment, e.g. you could directly use MIDI display source / Mackie LCD instead.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:26 AM   #3255
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
well, i spent some time on it but perhaps more important i watched all of your videos.
Great help but i think the process of defining the targets is a little shortcoming.
I thougt "learning" is by just clicking with the mouse on an action, but this does NOT work with a lot of targets. i.e. the recalling of a SWS snapshot or the click on the mute button of an additional hardware output. I understand that you are focused on some fancy features like transforming but i think you somehow lost the compass (i bet you know i am from germoney too now) on what and in wich order a newbie need the infos to get startet. Btw., i did not found anything comparable to the SWS snapshot system in realearn. My plan is to use realearn mostly for intergrating hardware outboard Fx, some AUX sends to them and recalling Mixerscenes (SWS snapshot cover that very well). I am used to dub classic reggae on a hardwaredesk and would love to keep it simple and straight forward.
Right now i am using quite a lot reaper custom actions and some realearn mapping mostly when i need an encoder button but wonderung if it would be possible just to use realearn alone.
In part 6 of the video tutorials I mentioned that many targets are not learnable and that you need to pick them manually in that case. That said, "Learn target" works with action "SWS: Recall snapshot ...", just tested it. Ah, but one thing that might happen (haven't tried that) is that it detects another target, depending on what the snapshot contains. In that case, simply pick the action manually.

If you have a specific gripe with the user guide, please make a specific suggestion for improvement and I might incorporate it. Keep in mind though that ReaLearn is a software that I wrote for myself mainly. I just happen to share it with the community and implement FRs. Making the perfect user guide that satisfies each and every newbie is not my goal. If you want to help with that, a good way could be to write your own blog article or make a video about it that's easier to understand.

Last edited by helgoboss; 02-18-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:38 AM   #3256
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronStinky View Post
I'd like to try, and I'll post back here if I have any success. I've watched some tutorials and read the first few manual sections, but so far I'm at a brick wall. Trying to add a mapping results in very weird behavior.

Ex 1: Add One, learn source, touch first fader, learn target, move one reaper volume fader. Relearn adds the midi data just fine, but the reaper fader jumps to zero and the controller input doesn't do anything.

Ex 2: Add One, learn source, touch momentary button, learn target, insert marker. Now when button is pressed it inputs a marker on press AND release. Editing any option including On Press Only causes it to stop inserting a marker entirely

Certain other controls don't seem to be outputing midi at all, at least not that reaper sees. So I'll keep tinkering and reading, but for anyone else with a HUI who stumbled on this, the search goes on.
Controller is a Focusrite Control 2802.

This particular device aside, ReaLearn is very cool! Thanks for all your work on this, helgoboss.
Ex 1: Does your device have touch-sensitive faders? They emit an "on" message on touch and an "off" message on release. Maybe you learned those instead of the actual fader movement? If yes, just touch the fader before pressing "Learn source".

Ex 2: Usually, "Press only" is the correct way to do this. Could you paste the mapping setup here (e.g. right click mapping row => Advanced => Copy as Lua)?
Old 02-18-2023, 02:58 AM   #3257
helgoboss

Quote:
i'm enjoying experimenting with "when target value met."

i understand that this (and conditional activation) is currently used to activate/deactivate mappings, but is there a way to use "when target value met" as a mapping Source?

for example, create a Target mapping with the condition: "If track is selected" ...

and then another mapping which would respond to that Target y > 0 with its own Target result, eg "invoke REAPER action" ?
Not yet. There's this FR: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/634

Haha, so many open FRs. But eventually I will implement many of them. Just a matter of time.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:03 AM   #3258
helgoboss

Quote:
is there a more thorough writeup on how to use wildcard asterisks? or is there a way to use wildcards to do something like "contains characters: cat" which shows true for "catch," "scathing, and "fornicator," but not "orca taco" ?
Your example would be achieved by writing:

Code:
*cat*
I just added this to the user guide:

Quote:
`*` stands for zero or more arbitrary characters and `?` stands for one arbitrary character.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:10 AM   #3259
helgoboss

Quote:
Helgoboss and Realearn users - greetings!
Unfortunately I'm newcomer to Github and can't help with creating scripts or customizing them. But my own desire to help others (like me - noobs of the learning curve), made me reconsider the structure of the user guide in the hope that it will make it easier to get started with VSTi Realearn.
Support me or give useful critic,.. maybe are there offer or will appeal new ideas for usability of guide navigation?:
https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ussion-4865836

First of all, I'm interesting in procedure the change approval "pull-request". Namely:
- maybe I'm doing something wrong? Because I don't see activity of gighub community to my changes?
Hopefully, will this patch of the manual attract more new supporters to ease the Realearn learning curve?

PS:
I noticed in the description of the user guide a sentence that misleads me: (see the add screenshot)
- Is this a typo? Or an accidental unsuccessful deletion of text from the Help section?
Hi Vladistone. Thanks a lot for your PR, I saw it already but didn't have time yet to look into it in yet. The updated screenshots are great, never came around to update them. Let's discuss there.

"If source is a:" is just the name of the label in front of the dropdown. The value in the dropdown provides the missing word.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:36 AM   #3260
mschnell

Quote:
just touch the fader before pressing "Learn source".
I do hate this error prone "Learn" stuff. IMHO a less "direct" way (and of course simply typing the numbers) could be helpful: showing the recent 10 events that might be "learnable" and manually select the one you want to use to trigger the action in question.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-19-2023 at 12:47 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:48 AM   #3261
tompad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I do hate this "Learn" stuff. IMHO a less "direct" way (and of course simply typing the numbers) could be helpful: showing the recent 10 events that might be "learnable" and manually select the one you want to use to trigger the action in question.

-Michael
Me I LOVE this "Learn"-stuff! More direct AND less buckle around with the mouse.
Me and my inflamed hand is very happy! :-) The coin always have two sides ;-)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:53 AM   #3262
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I do hate this "Learn" stuff. IMHO a less "direct" way (and of course simply typing the numbers) could be helpful: showing the recent 10 events that might be "learnable" and manually select the one you want to use to trigger the action in question.

-Michael
Mmh, interesting suggestion. This could actually help in some cases. Ah, but there are so many FRs in the pipeline already, I know this one would have to wait quite a bit. It would be a bit of effort as it's a UI-heavy FR.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:26 AM   #3263
doghouse

Quote:
In part 6 of the video tutorials I mentioned that many targets are not learnable and that you need to pick them manually in that case. That said, "Learn target" works with action "SWS: Recall snapshot ...", just tested it. Ah, but one thing that might happen (haven't tried that) is that it detects another target, depending on what the snapshot contains. In that case, simply pick the action manually.

If you have a specific gripe with the user guide, please make a specific suggestion for improvement and I might incorporate it. Keep in mind though that ReaLearn is a software that I wrote for myself mainly. I just happen to share it with the community and implement FRs. Making the perfect user guide that satisfies each and every newbie is not my goal. If you want to help with that, a good way could be to write your own blog article or make a video about it that's easier to understand.
Benjamin, thanks for your patience with me. I am just at the beginning of learning realearn.
Again, the learn process is the hardest thing to understand. Under Target "type" there are so many choices, but what the hell do they mean? i.e. "invoke Reaper action" do i have to choose this and then write the action in textform? when defining targets in textform, is it possible to copy and paste the action descripton in textform? One other thing, if working with SWS snapshots, the realean mappings are only in the particulary snapshot the mappings were createt in, that drives me crazy!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:48 AM   #3264
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Benjamin, thanks for your patience with me. I am just at the beginning of learning realearn.
Again, the learn process is the hardest thing to understand. Under Target "type" there are so many choices, but what the hell do they mean? i.e. "invoke Reaper action" do i have to choose this and then write the action in textform? when defining targets in textform, is it possible to copy and paste the action descripton in textform? One other thing, if working with SWS snapshots, the realean mappings are only in the particulary snapshot the mappings were createt in, that drives me crazy!
No, you don't have to write the action in text form. You click "Pick!" and then you can choose the REAPER action that you want to execute from the actions window that you know from REAPER itself. This window lets you copy the action description, but this is just normal REAPER functionality, doesn't have anything to do with ReaLearn.

Also, if you use ReaLearn to control SWS snapshots, then you probably want to exclude the ReaLearn track from the snapshot, otherwise the snapshot loading can obviously kill ReaLearn. If you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain, it doesn't matter though.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:08 AM   #3265
KennyG5000

Finding a lot of great information going through this forum! Can any of you clever people tell me is it possible for Realearn to send textual feedback of the preset name (via OSC), for either the actual FX's own presets or Reaper's dedicated preset system? That would be so amazing to have on control templates! Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2023, 05:51 AM   #3266
doghouse

Quote:
No, you don't have to write the action in text form. You click "Pick!" and then you can choose the REAPER action that you want to execute from the actions window that you know from REAPER itself. This window lets you copy the action description, but this is just normal REAPER functionality, doesn't have anything to do with ReaLearn.

Also, if you use ReaLearn to control SWS snapshots, then you probably want to exclude the ReaLearn track from the snapshot, otherwise the snapshot loading can obviously kill ReaLearn. If you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain, it doesn't matter though.
Wow that is great. I start to fall in love with realearn. As you mentioned earlier you suggested to exclusively use realearn for snapshot mixing. But thats a tough one. Ok, of course i could create endless mappings for the mute toggles alone, but obviously a snapshot is more than this. Is there a way to achieve a SWS-snapshot-workflow-style with realearn alone?
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:53 AM   #3267
mccrabney

Quote:
Oh right. What about I add a checkbox "Execute only if track exists"? If you think this is useful, please create an FR.
thanks! i'll just have ReaLearn trigger a script that checks for the track, creates it if it doesn't exist, and then adds the fx chain.

Quote:
this is where i'd rather spend my FR bucks. being able to set a target as a condition would be revolutionary IMO. it would be a much better/simpler way to achieve things than writing a ton of constantly-running defer scripts that would otherwise have to watch for different event/state changes.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:42 AM   #3268
Vladistone

Quote:
Finding a lot of great information going through this forum! Can any of you clever people tell me is it possible for Realearn to send textual feedback of the preset name (via OSC), for either the actual FX's own presets or Reaper's dedicated preset system? That would be so amazing to have on control templates! Thanks again!
if I understand you correctly,...
I display the list of presets on the controller screen in this way (see fig.). I don’t use the OSC-devices, but probably if you change the source from MIDI Mackie LCD to OSC with your own settings, it should work...
or may to learn here:
https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ent-1372737139
Attached Images
File Type: png Без названия.png (89.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Vladistone; 02-20-2023 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:02 AM   #3269
KennyG5000

Quote:
if I understand you correctly,...
I display the list of presets on the controller screen in this way (see fig.). I don’t use the OSC-devices, but probably if you change the source from MIDI Mackie LCD to OSC with your own settings, it should work...
or may to learn here:
https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...ent-1372737139
Thanks for taking the time to answer this Vladistone, and kindly posting the example of this set up in Realearn, really appreciate it. This works perfectly with OSC too! It would be fantastic if we could somehow transit the plugin's own preset names to Reaper, but I believe that would have to be built in/supported by the plugin itself, not sure there is any way that Realearn/Reaper itself could pull through this information. But using Reaper's internal preset system (and seeing the preset names displayed) is certainly amazing as is!
Old 02-20-2023, 08:20 AM   #3270
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer this Vladistone, and kindly posting the example of this set up in Realearn, really appreciate it. This works perfectly with OSC too! It would be fantastic if we could somehow transit the plugin's own preset names to Reaper, but I believe that would have to be built in/supported by the plugin itself, not sure there is any way that Realearn/Reaper itself could pull through this information. But using Reaper's internal preset system (and seeing the preset names displayed) is certainly amazing as is!
Unfortunately, there's no standard when it comes to accessing the plug-in's own preset system. The only other thing I can think of is using ReaLearn's (experimental) "Pot" targets. This makes it possible to browse NKS presets. So as long as your plug-in has NKS support, it could be an option for you.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:40 PM   #3271
X-Raym

@helgoboss
Hi! Just a small message to tell you that I have promote ReaLearn on a dedicated article on ReaLinks.net. Thanks again for your work! Cheers! 🙏
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:50 AM   #3272
KennyG5000

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's no standard when it comes to accessing the plug-in's own preset system. The only other thing I can think of is using ReaLearn's (experimental) "Pot" targets. This makes it possible to browse NKS presets. So as long as your plug-in has NKS support, it could be an option for you.
Thanks for pointing this out Helgoboss, this sounds like a very cool feature of Realearn (the nks support), and I will definitely check this out too (firing up my long forgotten Komplete Kontrol as we speak!). This would be ideal if I can set it up, as though the Reaper presets are really handy to have, they do lack folders/tags etc, the NI preset standard is ideal with all the metadata it can store. Some experimenting to do!
Old 02-21-2023, 01:08 AM   #3273
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@helgoboss
Hi! Just a small message to tell you that I have promote ReaLearn on a dedicated article on ReaLinks.net. Thanks again for your work! Cheers! 🙏
Wow, cool new site! This looks like an awesome compilation of REAPER stuff. Thanks for including ReaLearn.

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out Helgoboss, this sounds like a very cool feature of Realearn (the nks support), and I will definitely check this out too (firing up my long forgotten Komplete Kontrol as we speak!). This would be ideal if I can set it up, as though the Reaper presets are really handy to have, they do lack folders/tags etc, the NI preset standard is ideal with all the metadata it can store. Some experimenting to do!
Just a couple of hints:

- ReaLearn doesn't have specific support for Komplete Kontrol keyboards. Its NKS support is designed to "free" NKS, making it work with arbitrary keyboards/controllers/OSC and without having to use Komplete Kontrol plug-in (you need to fire up Komplete Kontrol plug-in only once at the beginning and whenever the list of presets could have changed).
- It has limitations, the most severe one being that it can't currently load presets of Native Instruments plug-ins.
- More about it in the user guide.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #3274
Puck

Quoting helgoboss but speaking to who he was talking to:

Quote:
Wow, cool new site! This looks like an awesome compilation of REAPER stuff. Thanks for including ReaLearn.
@X-Raym

agreed! Very cool site!

Quote:
Just a couple of hints:

- ReaLearn doesn't have specific support for Komplete Kontrol keyboards. Its NKS support is designed to "free" NKS, making it work with arbitrary keyboards/controllers/OSC and without having to use Komplete Kontrol plug-in (you need to fire up Komplete Kontrol plug-in only once at the beginning and whenever the list of presets could have changed).
- It has limitations, the most severe one being that it can't currently load presets of Native Instruments plug-ins.
- More about it in the user guide.
@KennyG5000

Just to add to this: It's pretty great so far! It hasn't gained a ton of traction (there's a separate thread with pretty much just me and Helgoboss talking about it) but it's very promising! If it's just a wav sample and not a plugin preset, it loads up RS5K with the sample, for example. Having recently gone through and tried to use Komplete Kontrol exclusively, I already had all of my libraries set how I wanted. I made a little controller in TouchOSC for this little section of Realearn and it's honestly been so nice to use.

Once Ben gets the time to come back to it and make the filtering a little better and refine things as he sees fit, it's going to be one hell of a tool.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:01 AM   #3275
KennyG5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Just to add to this: It's pretty great so far! It hasn't gained a ton of traction (there's a separate thread with pretty much just me and Helgoboss talking about it) but it's very promising! If it's just a wav sample and not a plugin preset, it loads up RS5K with the sample, for example. Having recently gone through and tried to use Komplete Kontrol exclusively, I already had all of my libraries set how I wanted. I made a little controller in TouchOSC for this little section of Realearn and it's honestly been so nice to use.

Once Ben gets the time to come back to it and make the filtering a little better and refine things as he sees fit, it's going to be one hell of a tool.
Thanks both Puck and Helgoboss for the pointers with nks and presets, I am very keen to explore this further (saw the other thread you mentioned Puck, a lot of helpful stuff there too!). I am old enough to remember getting Kore 1 way back and there was so much potential there with the ksd format; never really clicked with Komplete Kontrol as the software felt like a step backwards from Kore 2, but if you can access the presets natively (and have the controllers correctly mapped in Open Stage Control) then that is huge! Actually really excited to see if I can get this working (basically would be a long wanted replacement for Kore!). Great stuff! Quick question, does Reaper working alongside Realearn let you save new presets in the nks format without needing Komplete Kontrol, or is this not currently possible?
Old 02-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #3276
X-Raym

@helgoboss
Thx for your feedback!

BTW I realized something,
Did you know that REAPER API has Joystic support ?

If you want to add native Joystic support to Realearn source, here how to use it:
https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...API%20test.lua

(Usual way requires using a middleware for joystic to keyboard/MIDI - which may be more flexible anyway).

(note: I absolutely dont know any script which take care of this API. not sure there is any demand for such input support in realean ^^)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:38 PM   #3277
indigomirage

Quote:
I have no idea why it didn't work when I tried it last time but I looked into it again, and the following setup works ("Import from clipboard"). Moving the pitch bend up will scrub forward, releasing it will do nothing. Moving the pich bend down will scrub backward, releasing it will do nothing.

Code:
{
    kind = "MainCompartment",
    version = "2.14.3",
    value = {
        mappings = {
            {
                id = "OiV0Pm_L97uVnBBNdK-td",
                name = "PItch wheel: Scrub backward",
                source = {
                    kind = "MidiPitchBendChangeValue",
                    channel = 0,
                },
                glue = {
                    absolute_mode = "MakeRelative",
                    source_interval = {0, 0.5},
                    out_of_range_behavior = "Ignore",
                    step_size_interval = {0.01, 0.05},
                    encoder_filter = "DecrementOnly",
                },
                target = {
                    kind = "ReaperAction",
                    command = 992,
                    invocation = "Relative",
                },
            },
            {
                id = "mUuYGIEXEQ1oYLkt-uDvH",
                name = "PItch wheel: Scrub forward",
                source = {
                    kind = "MidiPitchBendChangeValue",
                    channel = 0,
                },
                glue = {
                    absolute_mode = "MakeRelative",
                    source_interval = {0.5, 1},
                    out_of_range_behavior = "Ignore",
                    step_size_interval = {0.01, 0.05},
                    encoder_filter = "IncrementOnly",
                },
                target = {
                    kind = "ReaperAction",
                    command = 992,
                    invocation = "Relative",
                },
            },
        },
    },
}
Thank you! I think the key was 'IncrementOnly'/'DecrementOnly'!
indigomirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #3278
indigomirage

Hi there -

I'm trying to create a conditional activation EEL2 script for a mapping group where the group should only be activated if there is an enabled FX on the track with a specific name. Ideally if the fx is in focus too, but I can handle that in the target config.

Basically, the mapping will translate a midi cc from once value to another, but I only want this to happen when that FX is in place. Since 'MIDI: Send Message' targets cannot be made contingent on a specific track, etc., I have to manually enable/disable the section.

Is this possible? I think I just need to see to sample EEL scripts to help get me started...

Thanks,

EDIT - I have come to the conclusion that the EEL2 scripts will not have the overall reaper API/project in scope, so this is probably a non-starter.

I think the best solution (and this is perhaps a feature request) would be to extend the 'Auto-Load' feature to i) apply to groups and ii) allow further specification of a name filter (with wildcard/asterisk). Since many of the mappings/parameter control I'm doing with Realearn applies to various Kontakt instances, simply filtering on FX-Type is not sufficient.

Also - Is there a way to have projection display the name of the FX parameter being controlled as a target, rather than just 'FX_Param'. Since the FX often changes the parameter name for a given parameter id, this could be extremely useful!

Cheers,

Last edited by indigomirage; 02-23-2023 at 08:43 AM. Reason: realized the non-solution...
indigomirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:16 AM   #3279
souk21

Hello @helgoboss, hope you're doing well.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create an action "Open first ReaLearn instance and filter by source".
The goal would be to wiggle a controller and quickly be able to see a list of bindings for this particular source.

Another use case is deleting or duplicating a binding, but "ReaLearn: Find first mapping by source" opens the edit window from which you can't do either

Thanks again for all the work you do for this amazing extension!
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:22 AM   #3280
KennyG5000

Hello again! Thanks to the excellent support on this forum I am now well on my way to figuring out how to implement the fantastic nks preset feature that Helgoboss has built into Realearn. Using the demo reaper file that Helgoboss helpfully posted over on the other forum on this, I have everything set up pretty much, but just have a quick question:

Is there a way to cycle through the different banks of parameters of each nks preset (the banks with each of the mapped 8 controllers in) or do you just need to sort that out at the controller side?

Also, I don't know whether it is currently possible (but would be awesome!) but is there a way to send the 'headings' of the parameters (eg where in the macro controls in Komplete Kontrol there are section headings such as 'filter', 'OSC 1/2' etc), I am guessing they must be stored in the nks data, but don't know if Realearn can currently access this.

Finally, wondered if Realearn currently has a way to filter to just the 'user' presets of Komplete Kontrol? (as that would be really useful too!)

As always, any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by KennyG5000; 02-26-2023 at 12:51 PM.