Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #3321
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Precisely
Not possible. Needs FR.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #3322
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
What's XT? Mackie Extender? Anyway, it never make sense to save mappings with "Particular" FX targets as presets. So ReaLearn provides no way to disable that question.
I understood you. but could you please explain how to replace this mapping for similar purposes (MCU to Mackie XT transfer of MIDI-events) without warning about automatic mapping conversion)?
Cause this had destroy my setting some times, if push the that confirm accidentally, avery time after tuning next mapping steps.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:02 PM   #3323
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
I understood you. but could you please explain how to replace this mapping for similar purposes (MCU to Mackie XT transfer of MIDI-events) without warning about automatic mapping conversion)?
Cause this had destroy my setting some times, if push the that confirm accidentally, avery time after tuning next mapping steps.
So what I understand, or rather guess: You don't want to use presets in order to be able to load them in multiple projects. You just need a way to copy all mappings etc. to create a very similar configuration with slightly different mapping sources. Is that so?

If yes, you don't need presets at all. You should copy and paste mappings instead or use export/import. These functions don't care about dependencies to particular FX/tracks in projects. They just copy things exactly as they are.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:08 PM   #3324
Vladistone

Quote:
So what I understand, or rather guess: You don't want to use presets in order to be able to load them in multiple projects. You just need a way to copy all mappings etc. to create a very similar configuration with slightly different mapping sources. Is that so?

If yes, you don't need presets at all. You should copy and paste mappings instead or use export/import. These functions don't care about dependencies to particular FX/tracks in projects. They just copy things exactly as they are.
I'm afraid we don't understand each other. My idea is easy to organize one Project template of the FX monitoring for interaction between the MCU + XT1 + XT2 instances and so on, building control of up to 24-48 channels of DAW mixing or channel strip tune simultaneously;
And since the bank change buttons are only on the master console, it is necessary to transmit this signal to the rest of the slave XTs.
for example, as I created a SSL nucleus2 controller projection as similar shown in PR#823:
https://github.com/Vladistone/realea...ucleus_Mk2.svg

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-05-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #3325
helgoboss

Quote:
I'm afraid we don't understand each other. My idea is easy to organize one Project template of the FX monitoring for interaction between the MCU + XT1 + XT2 instances and so on, building control of up to 24-48 channels of mixing DAW; and since the bank change buttons are only on the master console, it is necessary to transmit this signal to the rest of the slave XTs.
for example, as I created a SSL nucleus2 controller projection as similar showed in PR#823:
https://github.com/Vladistone/realea...ucleus_Mk2.svg
Ah, so each instance is on the monitoring FX chain? Then you have two options:

a) Use "Named" to address the FX, not "Particular". Then saving a preset won't ask you the question about making mappings project independent.

b) Don't save your ReaLearn stuff as a preset. From what I understand, you don't need presets at all. Presets are just for quickly loading an often used list of mappings in different projects. But you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain, so those instances are always active anyway, no matter the project. Use copy/paste or export/import instead.

I think you are overrating presets / want to use them in a context that doesn't make sense.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #3326
Vladistone

Quote:
Ah, so each instance is on the monitoring FX chain? Then you have two options:

a) Use "Named" to address the FX, not "Particular". Then saving a preset won't ask you the question about making mappings project independent.

b) Don't save your ReaLearn stuff as a preset. From what I understand, you don't need presets at all. Presets are just for quickly loading an often used list of mappings in different projects. But you have ReaLearn on the monitoring FX chain, so those instances are always active anyway, no matter the project. Use copy/paste or export/import instead.
Perfect! but what is principal differ of logic verification "Particular" VS "Named" in a sense of mappings project independent?
Quote:
I think you are overrating presets / want to use them in a context that doesn't make sense.
Hm... Pardone, what do you mean? if that combination precisely (MCU+XT extansion) using in any DAW control pirposes.

in FX-monitoring I`m going to use combination MCU+XT MIDI-preset of controller.
But SSL nucleus have few adjustable emulations and 3 modes of buttons or they combination state, or keystroke sequencing whose switched momentary by state-mode buttons:
first mode, called as "DAW#1" (included any types of DAW Mackie control emulation per preset, or CC#-control, or ACSII keystroke emulation with any mode buttons combinations too)
- for example using as MIDI Mackie standard control with PC-key emulation.
#2 - second mode, (as external devices controller or alternative DAW-host controler)
#3 - and so on (CC#-controller foa any pirposes and influence)

Probably Realearns presets necessary to use in track-FXs setting with individualy FX for track... but for this option i have device MP controller as a host FX provider... so - if I confuse&combine this two devices - it will monster combi-controler by Realearn VSTi.
Will try to make it step by step...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPwqCZzpBE

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-05-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #3327
helgoboss

Quote:
Perfect! but what is principal differ of logic verification "Particular" VS "Named" in a sense of mappings project independent?

Hm... Pardone, what do you mean? if that combination precisely (MCU+XT extansion) using in any DAW control pirposes.

in FX-monitoring I`m going to use combination MCU+XT MIDI-preset of controller.
But SSL nucleus have few adjustable emulations and 3 modes of buttons or they combination state, or keystroke sequencing whose switched momentary by state-mode buttons:
first mode, called as "DAW#1" (included any types of DAW Mackie control emulation per preset, or CC#-control, or ACSII keystroke emulation with any mode buttons combinations too)
- for example using as MIDI Mackie standard control with PC-key emulation.
#2 - second mode, (as external devices controller or alternative DAW-host controler)
#3 - and so on (CC#-controller foa any pirposes and influence)

Probably Realearns presets necessary to use in track-FXs setting with individualy FX for track... but for this option i have device MP controller as a host FX provider... so - if I confuse&combine this two devices - it will monster combi-controler by Realearn VSTi.
Will try to make it step by step...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPwqCZzpBE
Ah, I assumed you know the difference between "Named" and "Particular".

"Named" matches the track name (in case of FX, the FX name).

"Particular" matches the track ID ... so you can give multiple tracks the same name but ReaLearn still knows exactly which track you picked initially. IDs are unique across projects. The natural consequence is that a target which refers to a track with "Particular" can only work in exactly one project. So this setting doesn't make sense at all for presets that are going to be reused in multiple projects.

But hey, all of this is in the user guide

Anyway, I was probably wrong saying you don't need presets. Now I think: You don't need "Particular". You want "Named".
Old 03-06-2023, 03:01 AM   #3328
Vladistone

Quote:
Ah, I assumed you know the difference between "Named" and "Particular".

"Named" matches the track name (in case of FX, the FX name).

"Particular" matches the track ID ... so you can give multiple tracks the same name but ReaLearn still knows exactly which track you picked initially. IDs are unique across projects. The natural consequence is that a target which refers to a track with "Particular" can only work in exactly one project. So this setting doesn't make sense at all for presets that are going to be reused in multiple projects.

But hey, all of this is in the user guide

Anyway, I was probably wrong saying you don't need presets. Now I think: You don't need "Particular". You want "Named".
Thanks for the detailed explanation. But my question was meaning a little bit differently ... I'll try to ask it again but to anoter words:
- What is the fundamental difference between the logic of checking compliance "Particular" VS "Named"? if in "named"-case the emergence of warning about automatic mapping conversion does not appear;
But in "Particular" emergence-case of warning and besides then automatic mapping conversion would can cancelled/or ignore by user!
Probably - "named"-element does not subject to verification for this procedure... doesn`t it?
I thought that the "Named" category is just as unique in its specific properties of "composing names" of FX-instances (even in combining of instances into FX-monitoring case), that are different from each other, or at least have semantic features upon appointment and for recognition by the user. But if they combined into FX-monitoring - it environment make they the common/or through for all projects...

Sorry for my lengthy question, but this is all as a result of that fusion in my head when studying the manual. and a lack of understanding of the data management logic used in Realearn and Reaper in general...

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-06-2023 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #3329
Fleeesch

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. But my question was meaning a little bit differently ... I'll try to ask it again but to anoter words:
- What is the fundamental difference between the logic of checking compliance "Particular" VS "Named"? if in "named"-case the emergence of warning about automatic mapping conversion does not appear;
But in "Particular" emergence-case of warning and besides then automatic mapping conversion would can cancelled/or ignore by user!
Probably - "named"-element does not subject to verification for this procedure... doesn`t it?
I thought that the "Named" category is just as unique in its specific properties of "composing names" of FX-instances (even in combining of instances into FX-monitoring case), that are different from each other, or at least have semantic features upon appointment and for recognition by the user. But if they combined into FX-monitoring - it environment make they the common/or through for all projects...

Sorry for my lengthy question, but this is all as a result of that fusion in my head when studying the manual. and a lack of understanding of the data management logic used in Realearn and Reaper in general...
Particular
Stores the unique ID of the target as a reference. Target gets deleted means the reference is lost forever and needs to be manually recreated within ReaLearn by selecting a new target.

I've attached a picture of an ID, comes up whenever the reference is missing.

Named
Looks for the first target matching the naming pattern. Applies mapping if something matches, if not the mapping just gets ignored.
Attached Images
File Type: png unique_id.png (3.7 KB, 74 views)
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #3330
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
Particular
Stores the unique ID of the target as a reference. Target gets deleted means the reference is lost forever and needs to be manually recreated within ReaLearn by selecting a new target.

I've attached a picture of an ID, comes up whenever the reference is missing.

Named
Looks for the first target matching the naming pattern. Applies mapping if something matches, if not the mapping just gets ignored.
You are trying to explain to me the difference in the properties of the "particular" and "named" variables themselves. And it makes perfect clear to me! These are different variables according to the data generation principle (automatic unique ID or user-named/or order). But I was waiting for an answer as a key difference of the CONFORMITY PROCEDURE! Which is likely is that (IMHO, would you correct me if I mistaked):
----
1. with the first option ("particular"-PROCEDURE):
- a dialog box appears https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....8&d=1677843638
that warns about this and offers to automatically correct the matching conditions to "system preset" but which natively incomprehensible to the user. And this is annoying, because it offers a choice between "NO" and "YES" what you can "agree" or "ignore" with such a choice. In the meantime, you are working with a single pilot project, then the "refusal" of automatic correction does not affect the further work of the user (and creating the illusion of a successful job)! But when you further creating and configure the main compartment mappings, you are constantly haunted by this warning every time you configured other mappings - so then this introduces misleading:
- what does this warning refer to?
And if the user at some point in time agrees to the auto-correct (or maybe accidentally clicks into the dialog box buttom "YES"), then it becomes more difficult to determine and find - where it has affected - it becomes more difficult! Since it is possible that you made these settings a week ago and forgot ... and now your brains/thoughts are filled with other ideas for deeper introducing realearn into the project ....

2. And in the second case ("named"-PROCEDURE):
- the system simply "ignores" the matching conditions - if the coincidence does not find a suitable target value;
- or it does not work correctly - if it finds several identical names in the list of targets of FX parameters (no one even will know about this)
----

IMHO - if the dialog box fundamentally couldn`t allow saving "particular" in the target settings - then the task of finding other options would solve by the user immediately - "here and now", and was not postponed indefinitely like a "time bomb"

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-07-2023 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #3331
Fleeesch

Quote:
You are trying to explain to me the difference in the properties of the "particular" and "named" variables themselves. And it makes perfect clear to me! These are different variables according to the data generation principle (automatic ID or user-named/or order). But I was waiting for an answer as a key difference of the CONFORMITY PROCEDURE! Which is likely IMHO is that:
- with the first option ("particular"-PROCEDURE) - a dialog box appears https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....8&d=1677843638
that warns about this and offers to automatically correct the matching conditions for "preset system incomprehensible to the user". And this is annoying, because it offers a "choice" between "NO" and "YES" what you can "agree" or "ignore" with such a choice. In the meantime, you are working with a single pilot project, then the "refusal" of automatic correction does not affect the further work of the user, and when you further creating and configure the main compartment mappings, you are constantly haunted by this warning every time you configured other mappings - so then this introduces misleading:
- what does this warning refer to?
And if the user at some point in time agrees to the auto-correct (or maybe accidentally clicks into the dialog box buttom "YES"), then it becomes more difficult to determine and find - where it has affected - it becomes more difficult! Since it is possible that you made these settings a week ago and forgot ... and your brains are filled with other ideas for introducing realear into the project ....
and in the second case "named"-PROCEDURE - the system simply "ignores" the matching conditions; in a word - it stops working as planned" if the match does not find a suitable target value ... or it does not work correctly - if it finds several identical names in the list of targets of FX parameters (no one even knows about this)
Ah, I get it! Sorry if I misunderstood you, this is indeed quite interesting. The fact that you can simply ignore the warning every time - yet it always pops up - gives you the idea that you're doing something wrong, even if you are aware of the consequences of your actions on a techical level and just want to 'go with it'. Makes a lot of sense to me, in my case I was just lazy and went with 'Nah, if I shouldn't use Particular targeting for auto-maps according to the pop up then I guess that's how things are supposed to be'.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:50 PM   #3332
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
Ah, I get it! Sorry if I misunderstood you, this is indeed quite interesting. The fact that you can simply ignore the warning every time - yet it always pops up - gives you the idea that you're doing something wrong, even if you are aware of the consequences of your actions on a techical level and just want to 'go with it'. Makes a lot of sense to me, in my case I was just lazy and went with 'Nah, if I shouldn't use Particular targeting for auto-maps according to the pop up then I guess that's how things are supposed to be'.
finally we are starting to understand each other!
I can only add: I truly apologies for the complicated presentation of questions! my excuses - I'm a musician, not a coder
- in such cases of testing and setting up software, it is difficult to find the reason for oun failures, when there is no extensive base for solving problems by users, and studying the forum - does not give an accurate clue to your questions, since everyone here is in a similar state of "a humble user" of the new VSTi with an individual "localization" of equipments and its own purposes in discussion...
I bow to the patience of Helgoboss and his tireless suppurt work. but it would be great if he had support-helpers (any-keyer) who would forming and structuring with combine the accumulated experience of "operation and maintenance" into a knowledge base...

and by the way, to the last question about the "named" procedure for checking whether matches the target - are my assumptions really justified?:
Quote:
2. And in the second case ("named"-PROCEDURE):
- the system simply "ignores" the matching conditions - if the coincidence does not find a suitable target value;
- or it does not work correctly - if it finds several identical names in the list of targets of FX parameters (no one even will know about this)
----

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-07-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:41 AM   #3333
KennyG5000

Hello again! I wonder if anyone can help with this user case: I want to use the control transformation using EEL to convert an incoming OSC message (0-1) to output 1 (at 0), 0 (at 0.5) and again 1 (at 1), if that makes any sense! The purpose is a virtual 'key' on a keyboard that will emit no control change when pressed in the centre (at the 0.5 position), but moving left and right to either 'edge' will increase the controlled target (eg vibrato etc).

I have looked at some of the very helpful examples in the control transformation section, and it looks like an amazing feature, but not sure where to begin to achieve the result I am looking for. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated thanks!
KennyG5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:55 PM   #3334
theFRXST

Quote:
See below.

Quick answer to both of you: Use the latest pre-release 2.15.0-pre.1. see the fixes (disappearing target value numbers) and new features (configurable target types for last touched target) above.

The target value number 1000 not working, this must be something plug-in specific. Nothing I can do without more details and an example project.
This worked, thanks
Old 03-09-2023, 04:58 AM   #3335
Bassman002

HI

Long Time that I have made new FXs in ReaLearn, but:

Instead of FX Plugs, can I make a ReaLearn Preset only for the Midi Editor?

I'm asking before I do a lot of work and then it's not possible

Thanks
Heinz.

EDIT: Done now with a Modifier, but perhaps there's another way!

Last edited by Bassman002; 03-09-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:46 AM   #3336
Sound asleep

Anyone know if realearn will work with behringer x32 setup as a controller? Or do they interface some other way?
Old 03-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #3337
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Anyone know if realearn will work with behringer x32 setup as a controller? Or do they interface some other way?
You have to learn the user manual, start from 71 pages: MIDI implementation. There All described about your request...
Old 03-17-2023, 07:29 AM   #3338
Sound asleep

Quote:
You have to learn the user manual, start from 71 pages: MIDI implementation. There All described about your request...
Are you familiar with it? The user manual is a little confusing, because there is a USB remote plug, but also there is a usb on the card, and the card appears to send midi. And that's what I ended up using.

I did get it working, but only on a bank of 8 faders. The buss Faders. This appears to be the way the x32 was designed. But I have seen people making other pieces of software and connecting the x32 and using more faders, but I think those might have to be assigned to numbered tracks, rather than to midi CC, so I can use realearn.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #3339
foxAsteria

I would like to disable some tagged mappings only during playback/recording, and I want to enable them when Reaper's stopped/paused.

What's a good way to go about that?
Old 03-18-2023, 01:51 AM   #3340
Vladistone

Quote:
Are you familiar with it? The user manual is a little confusing, because there is a USB remote plug, but also there is a usb on the card, and the card appears to send midi. And that's what I ended up using.

I did get it working, but only on a bank of 8 faders. The buss Faders. This appears to be the way the x32 was designed. But I have seen people making other pieces of software and connecting the x32 and using more faders, but I think those might have to be assigned to numbered tracks, rather than to midi CC, so I can use realearn.
No, I use SSL nucleus2 and tascam US-2400
but historically: any problem is solved by MIDI implementation learning
and other software fitches:
Realearn
Hammerspoon
keyboard maestro
Bome MIDI translator
choose what you like and according to your abilities
Old 03-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #3341
alexgameaudio

Okay! I need some help setting up my Platform M+. I have a specific use case in mind, and I believe ReaLearn is flexible enough for me to use it in this way.

I work with SFX and not music, and I specifically want to use the Platform M+ to control FX parameters, not any traditional track volume controls.

-- Goal --
Have a Parent track with a ReaLearn instance on it
Child tracks are the layers for the SFX I am making
Use ReaLearn Learn feature to map a fader to an FX parameter on any of the children tracks
Other channel controls automatically follow the fader assignment... LCD shows name/value of mapped parameter, Select button opens/closes the FX window for the mapped parameter, etc

-- Specific Question 1 --
Can other buttons reference the Fader's target parameter? Like... can Ch1 LCD always show the name of what I've mapped to Ch1 Fader?

-- Specific Question 2 --
Whenever I use the Learn Source feature, fader touch gets assigned before ReaLearn registers fader movement. Can I exclude Fader Touch from being a learnable source?

-- Specific Question 3 --
Is there a way to set this up so I can Learn track control values, and not just FX values? For instance, can I set up some faders to control FX parameters across several different tracks, and set up some faders to control volume or pan, while using the Learn feature and having the LCD display follow the fader targets?
Old 03-18-2023, 06:11 PM   #3342
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
Can other buttons reference the Fader's target parameter? Like... can Ch1 LCD always show the name of what I've mapped to Ch1 Fader?
Really low tech solution may be to use non-conductive material to move the fader so you're skins electrical signal doesn't trigger the capacitive sensor.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:25 PM   #3343
Fergler

Quote:
Set the board to General CC instead of the other stuff and you will get all the channels available on the left side.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:52 PM   #3344
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Really low tech solution may be to use non-conductive material to move the fader so you're skins electrical signal doesn't trigger the capacitive sensor.
is this some kind of joke?
Old 03-18-2023, 10:06 PM   #3345
Vladistone

Quote:
-- Goal --
Have a Parent track with a ReaLearn instance on it
Child tracks are the layers for the SFX I am making
Use ReaLearn Learn feature to map a fader to an FX parameter on any of the children tracks
Other channel controls automatically follow the fader assignment... LCD shows name/value of mapped parameter, Select button opens/closes the FX window for the mapped parameter, etc

-- Specific Question 1 --
yes it is possible if you tuned/or filter other impacts on the target (feedbacks) ... LCD feedbacking is work independent controler knobs
otherwise, the original Ch1 LCD feedback may be overwritten by the new event. in this case - You should organize periodic LCD recovery or duplicate Target feedback - on additional buttons that will participate in the "fader 1" mapping group.
other cases, as if you set various settings / mapping effects (conditional activation by parameters, enabling or disabling mappings, filtering by #tags and the like) for Ch1 fader1 with the -mode buttons - then there is no need to change the settings for displaying the track's scribble strip .. . I hope you got what I meant,..
Quote:
-- Specific Question 2 --
Whenever I use the Learn Source feature, fader touch gets assigned before ReaLearn registers fader movement. Can I exclude Fader Touch from being a learnable source?
you can press&hold the fader first and then turn on the learning function... it will work...
Quote:
-- Specific Question 3 --
Is there a way to set this up so I can Learn track control values, and not just FX values? For instance, can I set up some faders to control FX parameters across several different tracks, and set up some faders to control volume or pan, while using the Learn feature and having the LCD display follow the fader targets?
I didn’t quite understand you ... so I can’t answer this question

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-18-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:27 AM   #3346
tompad

Quote:
:-)
Old 03-19-2023, 06:30 AM   #3347
Sound asleep

Quote:
Set the board to General CC instead of the other stuff and you will get all the channels available on the left side.
Did you plug the usb in the remote port for that? Or the card port? I feel like I tried the remote port, but I don't see the x32 when I do that, and the card port I'm sure I tried as well, and saw it, but I forget why that didn't work. I'll try again.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #3348
alexgameaudio

Quote:
yes it is possible if you tuned/or filter other impacts on the target (feedbacks) ... LCD feedbacking is work independent controler knobs
otherwise, the original Ch1 LCD feedback may be overwritten by the new event. in this case - You should organize periodic LCD recovery or duplicate Target feedback - on additional buttons that will participate in the "fader 1" mapping group.
other cases, as if you set various settings / mapping effects (conditional activation by parameters, enabling or disabling mappings, filtering by #tags and the like) for Ch1 fader1 with the -mode buttons - then there is no need to change the settings for displaying the track's scribble strip .. . I hope you got what I meant,..

you can press&hold the fader first and then turn on the learning function... it will work...

I didn’t quite understand you ... so I can’t answer this question
Thanks for the help! the touch issue was an easy one... yep, touch the fader before pressing "learn"

I don't think I perfectly understand the suggestions with tags and groups - but it seems like these are methods for filtering so i can more quickly assign the targets.

I seem to have gotten closer to what I want to do, I updated to 2.15.0-pre, and it has a "Modify Mapping" function. I set up the Ch1 "rec" button to map everything else in the Ch1 group! So if I move a control, and then press the rec button, everything in the channel gets the correct parameter.

HOWEVER - The touch control changes to the wrong type. Is there a way I can set the touch control to ALWAYS be automation touch for whatever the Ch1 fader is assigned to? Can I do that in the "Advanced Settings" with YAML? Just like... get the target for Fader 1, and perform as automation touch for whatever that is. Whether it be a volume knob, an FX parameter, a send value, etc.

Similarly, I want to set the "Select" button to show/hide the FX window for that parameter. I also want to be able to set my physical pan knob to be the volume for the channel, etc.

Maybe a FR for @Helgoboss, I love the "Modify Mapping" feature!

1. Can we select more than one mapping to modify? Currently, I am duplicating this function for each control. I'm using a single button to map 8 things to the same target.

2. Can we lock the "Type" on the target mapping? So the "Modify Mapping" feature would direct it to the correct track, FX, Parameter, but it could still be a "Solo" button for the track it just learned? If this wont work, maybe I'm using the wrong feature.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #3349
Veins

Default Digits in Realearn

Hey people,

I am new to Realearn but I'm thrilled by this project as it offers endless possibilities.
I've recently purcheased a M-Audio ProjectMix and it really allows me to make this old gear a tremendous controller.

However, I'm having a few technical issues.

The one worth mentioning here concerns display. Is there anyway to control the number of digits in the decimals? My FX plugins are sending back overdetailed numbers that are not really practical to use. I looked into the documentation but could not find anything detailed.

Also, I am currently using two instances of ReaLearn for the same controller (the ProjectMix). I have a total of nearly 200 items and I want to use the auto-load for adapted configuration for my favourite FX plugins.
The idea is to have a stable ReaLearn for general controls that do not change and a ReaLearn for my knobs that are loaded while clicking on some specific plugins. This way, only necessary items are reloaded by Realearn and not the general ones.

However, since I started doing this, Reaper has been crashing pretty badly (unable to kill the process afterwards, I need to restart the computer) but I still have not managed to identify the actions responsible for this.
Would you say my strategy is inappropriate and I should proceed otherwise?

Anyway Benjamin, if you're reading this, thanks for that amazing piece of software!
Veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:05 PM   #3350
cjunekim

Default ReaLearn Crashes

Hi

As soon as I add ReaLearn to an empty track in an empty project in reaper, it crashes. It used to crash reaper as well but after updating realearn to the most recent one, it no longer crashes reaper but only realearn itself.

Following is the error report:

Code:
--- cut ---
REAPER version:      6.78+dev0320/x64
Module name:         ReaLearn
Module version:      v2.14.3/x86_64 rev 68c524 (2023-01-13 17:18:04 UTC)
Module base address: 0x7ffa4ed80000
Module size:         0x1b63000

0:     0x7ffa4fe8f135 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   1:     0x7ffa4fe8d989 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   2:     0x7ffa4fd9b7ff - DllMain
   3:     0x7ffa4feb3032 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   4:     0x7ffa4feb2dbd - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   5:     0x7ffa4feb082f - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   6:     0x7ffa4feb2a80 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   7:     0x7ffa500db825 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
   8:     0x7ffa4fdc459c - DllMain
   9:     0x7ffa4f48e3fd - VSTPluginMain
  10:     0x7ffa4f240cf5 - VSTPluginMain
  11:     0x7ffa4f5c9fea - VSTPluginMain
  12:     0x7ffa4f434cb6 - VSTPluginMain
  13:     0x7ffa500dab45 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
  14:     0x7ffa4f4b2d80 - VSTPluginMain
  15:     0x7ffa4f01866f - NSEEL_HOSTSTUB_LeaveMutex
  16:     0x7ffa4f1299b7 - NSEEL_HOSTSTUB_LeaveMutex
  17:     0x7ffa4fe987dd - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
  18:        0x1409b0950 - <unknown>
  19:        0x1403fe42b - <unknown>
  20:        0x1404215e3 - <unknown>
  21:        0x1403c4a35 - <unknown>
  22:        0x1403c416a - <unknown>
  23:        0x1403c58f0 - <unknown>
  24:        0x1403b7b1e - <unknown>
  25:     0x7ffad5f02920 - ScreenToClient
  26:     0x7ffad5f020c2 - ScreenToClient
  27:     0x7ffad5f4a359 - UnpackDDElParam
  28:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  29:     0x7ffad5f3f8e4 - LoadMenuA
  30:     0x7ffad5f3ff2b - CallWindowProcA
  31:        0x1409d4efd - <unknown>
  32:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  33:     0x7ffad5f3f8e4 - LoadMenuA
  34:     0x7ffad5f3ff2b - CallWindowProcA
  35:        0x1409d2805 - <unknown>
  36:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  37:     0x7ffad5efde1b - SendMessageW
  38:     0x7ffad5ef9785 - SendMessageA
  39:        0x1403b57ea - <unknown>
  40:     0x7ffad5f02920 - ScreenToClient
  41:     0x7ffad5f020c2 - ScreenToClient
  42:     0x7ffad5f4a359 - UnpackDDElParam
  43:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  44:     0x7ffad5f3f8e4 - LoadMenuA
  45:     0x7ffad5f3ff2b - CallWindowProcA
  46:        0x1409d4efd - <unknown>
  47:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  48:     0x7ffad5f3f8e4 - LoadMenuA
  49:     0x7ffad5f3ff2b - CallWindowProcA
  50:        0x1409d2805 - <unknown>
  51:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  52:     0x7ffad5efde1b - SendMessageW
  53:     0x7ffad5efd68a - SendMessageW
  54:     0x7ffac18a3266 - CCSetScrollInfo
  55:     0x7ffac1a0d9dc - Ordinal234
  56:     0x7ffac1a0e212 - Ordinal234
  57:     0x7ffac18df4c7 - Ordinal20
  58:     0x7ffac18990ff - Ordinal395
  59:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  60:     0x7ffad5efe4ee - CallWindowProcW
  61:     0x7ffac18b9aba - DefSubclassProc
  62:     0x7ffac18b9799 - DSA_Create
  63:     0x7ffac18b9aba - DefSubclassProc
  64:     0x7ffac18b98b7 - DSA_Create
  65:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  66:     0x7ffad5f3f8e4 - LoadMenuA
  67:     0x7ffad5f3ff2b - CallWindowProcA
  68:        0x1401aa6f1 - <unknown>
  69:     0x7ffad5efe858 - CallWindowProcW
  70:     0x7ffad5efe299 - DispatchMessageW
  71:        0x1404691e5 - <unknown>
  72:        0x140a01c51 - <unknown>
  73:     0x7ffad5e47604 - BaseThreadInitThunk
  74:     0x7ffad79026a1 - RtlUserThreadStart
--- cut ---
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:10 AM   #3351
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veins View Post
Hey people,

I am new to Realearn but I'm thrilled by this project as it offers endless possibilities.
I've recently purcheased a M-Audio ProjectMix and it really allows me to make this old gear a tremendous controller.

However, I'm having a few technical issues.

The one worth mentioning here concerns display. Is there anyway to control the number of digits in the decimals? My FX plugins are sending back overdetailed numbers that are not really practical to use. I looked into the documentation but could not find anything detailed.

Also, I am currently using two instances of ReaLearn for the same controller (the ProjectMix). I have a total of nearly 200 items and I want to use the auto-load for adapted configuration for my favourite FX plugins.
The idea is to have a stable ReaLearn for general controls that do not change and a ReaLearn for my knobs that are loaded while clicking on some specific plugins. This way, only necessary items are reloaded by Realearn and not the general ones.

However, since I started doing this, Reaper has been crashing pretty badly (unable to kill the process afterwards, I need to restart the computer) but I still have not managed to identify the actions responsible for this.
Would you say my strategy is inappropriate and I should proceed otherwise?

Anyway Benjamin, if you're reading this, thanks for that amazing piece of software!
you can always backtrack to a more stable release via reapack...
especially if things are crashing..
likewise with the Realease of newer versions of Reaper.

i tend to stay with a version of reaper&realearn that works with minimal crashing episodes.. until there is something in another release which is useful.
theres always the possibility of bugs or changes being made on oneside sometimes causing unwanted results across the otherside with regard to Reaper&realearn.

theres that old saying "if it aint broke dont try to fix it"
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:49 AM   #3352
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
yeah this is as of the most recent pres, it's been reported, Helgoboss is probably up to his ears in this message.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #3353
doghouse

Default Donation Link

Hi, your link for single onetime donation via paypal does not work.

One question: i am using realearn quite project exclusive and would like to save a dedicatet file into my project folder as i am workin in different workspaces. Is this possible only with LUA? Do i need to copy the mappings to the clipboard and paste it into a text editor?
Why cant we export a mapping preset as a realearn exclusive file and choose the directory freely?
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:30 PM   #3354
Vladistone

Default interception of hidden DAW events

Hi there!
Tell me, are there any ways of realearn or tools for intercepting hidden DAW events that the reaper receives/sends to the MCU controller?
but are not captured by normal tools such as the MIDI monitor app?

for group buttons MCU w/functions feedback such as:
- Shift, Option, Control, Alt (not to be confused with ASCII-keystroke)
- Escape, Enter, Undo
- Global, User, Groupe e t.c.

the first example that I paid attention to is the UNDO button, which receives a signal for any change in the FX parameter

My idea is that there are GUI events ( such for "Compare" button) that don't send messages to external controllers, but it's possible to track them! but costly because:
Changing of state cannot be used as a trigger unless the state generates an event. But to continuously poll and application's state would be prohibitively expensive in CPU and battery.

So, If by receiving events for the UNDO button - then it is possible to use it as a trigger to record initiator of the another event (for example: "Compare" button)!

NOTE:

I immediately dissect the arguments on the account of the fact that:
"there are the UNDO / REDO or ⌘ + Z / ⇧ + ⌘ + Z keystroke - have to use for these purposes!"

the answer is obvious:
there can be many manipulations in the change chain when adjusting the FX parameters, and the "compare" button manipulates all of them at one click.
"bypass" has other restrictions on starting or turning off FX in real time.

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-22-2023 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:53 PM   #3355
7enz

@Helgoboss

just reporting a small bug i picked up on...
may already have been sorted

if there is a value (value sequence) inside of incremental/normal on the glue section

this disables the toggle Target min/max from showing up, when you choose to change the mode selection(toggle/inc/norm)
whatever the previous value was in the value sequence(normal/incremental)
it seems to remain the same target Min/Max in the toggle(even though you cannot see it)

so effectively you need to remove the value inside of the Value sequence and then change to toggle at which point the min/max become available again, but with the previous value on the min/max that was previously set
instead of the default (min=0 max=100)
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:46 AM   #3356
beingmf

Error in latest 678+ dev0325_x64:

REAPER version: 6.78+dev0325/x64
Module name: ReaLearn
Module version: v2.15.0-pre.1/x86_64 rev 9d4a38 (2023-02-28 02:50:54 UTC)
Module base address: 0x7ffbf2a30000
Module size: 0x1ba4000

Message: called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: "session not available"

0: 0x7ffbf3b75ea5 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
1: 0x7ffbf3b746f9 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
2: 0x7ffbf3a8290f - DllMain
3: 0x7ffbf3b99da2 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
4: 0x7ffbf3b99b2d - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
5: 0x7ffbf3b9759f - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
6: 0x7ffbf3b997f0 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
7: 0x7ffbf3dc3115 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
8: 0x7ffbf3dc3293 - cpp_to_rust_ProjectStateContext_SetTempFlag
9: 0x7ffbf363c202 - DllMain
10: 0x7ffbf38976ef - DllMain
11: 0x7ffbf38956c7 - DllMain
12: 0x7ffc421e28b0 - ScreenToClient
13: 0x7ffc421e2052 - ScreenToClient
14: 0x7ffc421e1f66 - ScreenToClient
15: 0x7ffc421de7e8 - CallWindowProcW
16: 0x7ffc421dddab - SendMessageW
17: 0x7ffc421dd61a - SendMessageW
18: 0x7ffc2cff2467 - ImageList_LoadImageW
19: 0x7ffc2d0020f0 - ImageList_WriteEx
20: 0x7ffc421de7e8 - CallWindowProcW
21: 0x7ffc421de229 - DispatchMessageW
22: 0x140469685 - <unknown>
23: 0x140a03ec1 - <unknown>
24: 0x7ffc42987614 - BaseThreadInitThunk
25: 0x7ffc430226a1 - RtlUserThreadStart
Old 03-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #3357
EpicSounds

also reporting complete breakage when using 6.78+ dev builds

REAPER version: 6.78+dev0325/macOS-arm64
Module name: ReaLearn
Module version: v2.15.0-pre.1/aarch64 rev 9d4a38 (2023-02-28 02:49:15 UTC)
Module base address: -
Module size: -

0: 0x1638edf84 - <unknown>
1: 0x1638edef4 - <unknown>
2: 0x1637f330c - <unknown>
3: 0x16391c02c - <unknown>
4: 0x16391bed8 - <unknown>
5: 0x16391a674 - <unknown>
6: 0x16391bc2c - <unknown>
7: 0x163993e1c - <unknown>
8: 0x163993f08 - <unknown>
9: 0x1632c6244 - <unknown>
10: 0x163651e4c - <unknown>
11: 0x163650af8 - <unknown>
12: 0x105388db0 - __ZL28SwellDialogDefaultWindowProcP6HWND__jml
13: 0x1a86eec38 - <unknown>
14: 0x1a86eea50 - <unknown>
15: 0x1a86ee994 - <unknown>
16: 0x1a86ee8bc - <unknown>
17: 0x1a86ee7e0 - <unknown>
18: 0x1a86ebda4 - <unknown>
19: 0x1a86eb7b0 - <unknown>
20: 0x1a86eb668 - <unknown>
21: 0x1a86eab34 - <unknown>
22: 0x1a86e9628 - <unknown>
23: 0x1a8673844 - <unknown>
24: 0x1a8672eb0 - <unknown>
25: 0x1a8671fe8 - <unknown>
26: 0x105204b08 - -[REAPERapp sendEvent:]
27: 0x1a88c4098 - <unknown>
28: 0x1a8538e30 - <unknown>
29: 0x1a8510250 - <unknown>
Old 03-26-2023, 01:59 PM   #3358
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Nice Rust error message
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #3359
helgoboss

Just quickly glancing over the last messages in this thread, I see quite some stuff related to very recent REAPER versions or even just pre-releases. There's nothing I can do about that right now because I'm AFK until next week. So the only solution in the meantime is to downgrade to the last REAPER version that works!
Old 03-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #3360
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG5000 View Post
Hello again! I wonder if anyone can help with this user case: I want to use the control transformation using EEL to convert an incoming OSC message (0-1) to output 1 (at 0), 0 (at 0.5) and again 1 (at 1), if that makes any sense! The purpose is a virtual 'key' on a keyboard that will emit no control change when pressed in the centre (at the 0.5 position), but moving left and right to either 'edge' will increase the controlled target (eg vibrato etc).

I have looked at some of the very helpful examples in the control transformation section, and it looks like an amazing feature, but not sure where to begin to achieve the result I am looking for. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated thanks!
Code:
x < 0.5 ? (
  y = 1 - 2*x;
) : (
  y = 2*x - 1;
);
This should result in a V shape.