Old 07-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Default v6.81+dev0730 - July 30 2023

v6.81+dev0730 - July 30 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: support rendering raw PCM data
  • * Includes feature branch: Development_Theme theme
  • * Includes feature branch: JSFX plug-in defined compile-time configuration parameters
  • * Includes feature branch: LV2 non-automatable patch parameter support including atom:Path
  • * Includes feature branch: video YUV gamut selection
  • * Includes feature branch: visual track spacers
  • * Includes feature branch: 128 channels per track
  • * Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
  • * Includes feature branch: always running non-bypassed FX when the UI is visible
  • * Includes feature branch: crossfade new recording with existing media items if configured
  • * Includes feature branch: video from background projects
  • * Includes feature branch: FX containers
  • * Includes feature branch: improvements to aligning takes after recording
  • * Includes feature branch: arrange view override mouse modifier sections
  • * Includes feature branch: toolbar armed/special animations
  • * Includes feature branch: pooled and unpooled ARA edits
  • * Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Preferences: add specific automatic crossfade preferences for various contexts (splitting, reording, etc)
  • + Preferences: add support for automatic crossfades respecting the project auto-crossfade setting in various contexts
  • + Preferences: move media item fade and loop preferences to separate pages
  • + Preferences: remove project options to trim content behind media items/razor edits from global preferences page
  • + Project bay: support dragging media from project bay to add-track area
  • + Project bay: support dragging media from project bay to fixed lanes
  • # Media item lanes: fix deleting comp areas when clicking slightly outside the area [p=2696490]
  • # Media item lanes: fix edits in source lanes affecting comp areas [p=2696536]
  • # Media item lanes: when recording into a new lane with time selection auto-punch enabled and auto-comp disabled, add the whole recording to the lane [p=2696667]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

Some cool stuff there thanks!

Regarding project bay.

Please consider adding the media explorer button also to the media tab and not just source

So that we can quickly identify visually that piece of media in explorer, ideally also with it's start and end shown via a time selection.

This would also then allow us to easily grab small bits from it and drag to the timeline.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
akademie

^^^^^^ +1, good ideas!
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Vagelis

Some nice stuff!

Bug: Moving items with RE is trimming the comp areas. This behavior should happen only when we select a comp area with RE and move them together.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
Vagelis

Bug: Comp areas break by adjusting the fades in fixed lanes

Old 07-30-2023, 06:12 PM   #6
X-Raym

About track separator in anrrange vie, it may have been missed cause I posted a bit late on a previous release, but it would be nice if we could change their color cause they can be the same color as arrange view in dark theme, and so their 'separaring' power become null.

Here was my initial report
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=19

I guess it could simply be a theme preference, either color or blend mode, or something more fancy based on track color so we coule color them differently (but color should be reflected in arrange view).

Thx !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:30 PM   #7
Edison

Default v6.81+dev0730

Hello @devs,
Preferences-> Item Fade Defaults

Weird characters when translated. See pic.

Best regards,

Last edited by Edison; 10-22-2023 at 05:14 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:50 PM   #8
luiza177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
[*] * Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
I've been meaning to ask, what is this exactly? Or is this just something to set up for future updates/features?
luiza177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:56 AM   #9
AZpercussion

# Media item lanes: when recording into a new lane with time selection auto-punch enabled and auto-comp disabled, add the whole recording to the lane
Yessss! Thanks!)
But look, if recording incomplete, i.e. don't fully overlaps time selection, the time selection is ignored.
The same behavior is in normal recording mode.

It's inconvenient in case an actor missed in the middle, but started well, so I want to keep the start of the part we are trying to rewrite.

And also for the case where I set long time selection and I care about punch-in but don't care about punch-out.
I like this style of recording, as Reaper has no pre-rec audio buffer, but nonetheless, I get the benefit I can edit the punch-in point after the punch-in action, that impossible in other daws.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:13 AM   #10
AZpercussion

+ Preferences: add specific automatic crossfade preferences for various contexts (splitting, reording, etc)
+ Preferences: add support for automatic crossfades respecting the project auto-crossfade setting in various contexts

It's, great that we have now the crossfading while recording, but how these new options iteract with option: Toggle auto-crossfade on split [40912]?
It seems this option is ignored.

And users used to the behavior when auto-crossfading button has influence only on drugging items over each other.

I see that this new behavior will have a big impact on numerous scripts, that's dangerous.

Maybe it's possible to preserve the Toggle auto-crossfade on split [40912], add anologue for recording, and make two additional options, that will toggle these two in accordance to auto-crossfade button?
Old 07-31-2023, 05:26 AM   #11
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiza177 View Post
I've been meaning to ask, what is this exactly? Or is this just something to set up for future updates/features?
improve compatibility,
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...11&postcount=6
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:56 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
+ Preferences: add specific automatic crossfade preferences for various contexts (splitting, reording, etc)
+ Preferences: add support for automatic crossfades respecting the project auto-crossfade setting in various contexts

It's, great that we have now the crossfading while recording, but how these new options iteract with option: Toggle auto-crossfade on split [40912]?
It seems this option is ignored.

And users used to the behavior when auto-crossfading button has influence only on drugging items over each other.

I see that this new behavior will have a big impact on numerous scripts, that's dangerous.

Maybe it's possible to preserve the Toggle auto-crossfade on split [40912], add anologue for recording, and make two additional options, that will toggle these two in accordance to auto-crossfade button?

The actions "toggle auto-crossfade on split", "Enable auto-crossfade on split", "Disable auto-crossfade on split" will still work as they always have.

The new preferences have 3 settings for splitting media items: no crossfade, overlap and crossfade, respect toolbar auto-crossfade setting. The preference will be set to "respect toolbar auto-crossfade" only if the user specifically changes it; otherwise the default will be whatever it was previously.

The above actions will cause the preference to be set to either no crossfade or crossfade, regardless of what it was originally set to.

(One case doesn't work predictably in this build, if the user has set the preference to "respect toolbar auto-crossfade setting" and then runs an action to change the setting, but that will be fixed for the next build.)
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:04 AM   #13
FeedTheCat

Thanks for the new crossfade options.

Something is inconsistent here (sometimes it trims, sometimes it crossfades)

Trim content behind media edits is enabled, and on the fade page "No crossfade" is selected for this behavior.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:16 AM   #14
Vagelis

A visual bug I guess?

Old 07-31-2023, 06:18 AM   #15
FeedTheCat

The behavior of crossfades with "trim content behind media edits" still depends on the state of the auto-crossfade button (and the resulting fade size is wrong).

Old 07-31-2023, 06:27 AM   #16
Vagelis

I think found a bug that was driving me crazy for a long time since happened also in the past so might be related.
If the source has no splits at the edges of the comp area, then dragging the area in comp lane to crossfade it doesn't break the comp.
But if there are splits then the area breaks. There has to be some problem with staying in sync if we split a source and select it with comp area.

EDIT: Busted

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-31-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:49 AM   #17
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The above actions will cause the preference to be set to either no crossfade or crossfade, regardless of what it was originally set to.

(One case doesn't work predictably in this build, if the user has set the preference to "respect toolbar auto-crossfade setting" and then runs an action to change the setting, but that will be fixed for the next build.)
For now option "toggle autocrossfade on split" work independent of "respect toolbar auto-crossfade". So we get "toggle autocrossfade on split" is on, toolbar autocrossfade button is off and no crossfade as a result.

And many script have to check this new "respect toolbar auto-crossfade" option, while it's not necessary.

I suggest them to be hierarhically dependent. So if "respect toolbar auto-crossfade" is ON and the toolbar button is ON, the option "toggle autocrossfade on split" becomes ON automatically.

And there should be the similar option for recording in the action list.

Last edited by AZpercussion; 07-31-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:14 AM   #18
Vagelis

Something that I find missing to be consistent with the old system but also useful for the new, is to have actions to explode a lane to a new track and another to explode all lanes to tracks. Except if they exist and I missed them?
Also it would be nice if they were included in the lane header menu.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:16 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
About track separator in anrrange vie, it may have been missed cause I posted a bit late on a previous release, but it would be nice if we could change their color cause they can be the same color as arrange view in dark theme, and so their 'separaring' power become null.
The track spacer color is "empty track list area" in the TCP and "empty arrange view area" in the arrange view.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:25 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
For now option "toggle autocrossfade on split" work independent of "respect toolbar auto-crossfade". So we get "toggle autocrossfade on split" is on, toolbar autocrossfade button is off and no crossfade as a result.
This one case is a bug in +dev0730. The intended behavior is that the actions to toggle/enable/disable auto-crossfade on split will override the preference to respect toolbar auto-crossfade on split.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #21
AZpercussion

Quote:
This one case is a bug in +dev0730. The intended behavior is that the actions to toggle/enable/disable auto-crossfade on split will override the preference to respect toolbar auto-crossfade on split.
Ah, good to know!
Old 07-31-2023, 08:25 AM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Thanks for the new crossfade options.

Something is inconsistent here (sometimes it trims, sometimes it crossfades)

Trim content behind media edits is enabled, and on the fade page "No crossfade" is selected for this behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
The behavior of crossfades with "trim content behind media edits" still depends on the state of the auto-crossfade button (and the resulting fade size is wrong).
In general there is inconsistent interaction between the toolbar auto-crossfade button and the crossfade preferences when trimming content behind media items, fixing, thanks.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:33 AM   #23
joshxtra

Quote:
  • * Includes feature branch: video from background projects
Here, if I have videoclips in my main project and I have this enabled, the video from the background project will be disabled. So far so good, but if I go into the source properties of these clips and I disable the video (to leave just the audio), still the background-project-video will not be displayed. I feel like then it should be there?
joshxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
EDIT: Busted

I think that is the intended behavior? When you extend the item on the comp lane beyond the edge of the item on the source lane, it can no longer be in sync with the source lane. The item on the comp lane doesn't match the source lane any more.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #25
Vagelis

Quote:
I think that is the intended behavior? When you extend the item on the comp lane beyond the edge of the item on the source lane, it can no longer be in sync with the source lane. The item on the comp lane doesn't match the source lane any more.
Indeed my bad, I stumbled upon this a couple of times while moving comp areas where the items splits, and then moving the edge in the comp lane it unsynced the area.
I guess there's no way to prevent this so I'll live with it.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:25 AM   #26
AZpercussion

Quote:
No, it's not intended behavior, because there should the comp area edge moving.
It would much simple and predictable if we could just open the hidden part of lane and then decide what to do with items in it.
In collapsed mode i can't even know what hidden next the comp area border.

If I drag item edge that corresponds the comp area edge, I wait that the area edge will move.

It's like with fades Feed The Cat asked earlier in his list. It's just much easier to operate with item edges instead of edge of thin comp area header.

Old 08-01-2023, 03:56 AM   #27
Vagelis

Quote:
If I drag item edge that corresponds the comp area edge, I wait that the area edge will move.
Yeah I also thought about that, even if there's nothing next to it, or a split and next some other source, maybe it could continue adding it by moving the edge of the comp area.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:06 AM   #28
schwa
Administrator

There is no situation where editing an item in the comp lane changes the items in the source lane. I don't think that would be correct to do, especially if the source lane isn't even visible.

What might make more sense is an option to restrict comp area edge edits to existing media item edges in source lanes, or perhaps a separate mouse modifier to edit the comp area edge respecting source media bounds.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:31 AM   #29
AZpercussion

Quote:
There is no situation where editing an item in the comp lane changes the items in the source lane. I don't think that would be correct to do, especially if the source lane isn't even visible.
But we can edit something, resync, record and edit something hovering these first edits, then we can go to something else, close project, open it after a week or month, or send it to another person. And finally need to make recomping in that location.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:31 AM   #30
mschnell

Quote:
I don't think that would be correct to do, especially if the source lane isn't even visible.
At least a question if that's intentional would be appropriate.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #31
FeedTheCat

Quote:
What might make more sense is an option to restrict comp area edge edits to existing media item edges in source lanes, or perhaps a separate mouse modifier to edit the comp area edge respecting source media bounds.
If I understand the second one correctly, the first one would definitely be preferable as it would work with edited source lane items (no option necessary imo).

Here's another case where one wouldn't expect the area to unsync.

Maybe (in addition to that restriction) it would be possible to "fool" reaper and forward item edge edits to comp area edge edits when certain conditions are met?

E.g. the adjacent comp area doesn't have an item edge (like in the GIF) -> grab the comp area edge instead.

If both areas have items on edges -> grabbing the crossfade will grab the comp area edge instead.

Basically, forward all item edge edits to comp area edges, except the ones that can create/change a crossfade. Sounds like trouble, but if possible, that would really bring the UX to the next level.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:43 AM   #32
Vagelis

Quote:
What might make more sense is an option to restrict comp area edge edits to existing media item edges in source lanes
So with an item in the comp lane, dragging the edge of the item would move the item edge but the comp area edge would stay in place?

EDIT: If we can't move the edge of the item beyond comp areas then I think the existing behavior to unsync is much more preferable and makes more sense.

Last edited by Vagelis; 08-01-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #33
OLSHALOM

Quote:

And then a warning pops up, if someone is modifying an item which is already used in another comp?
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #34
AZpercussion

Quote:
EDIT: If we can't move the edge of the item beyond comp areas then I think the existing behavior to unsync is much more preferable and makes more sense.
At least in my suggestion there will no hard restrictions, only nature ones.
Think about comp area as a window to a lane with source.
So you can extend this window or edit items inside the window and save this image in another lane.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #35
Vagelis

Quote:
So you can extend this window or edit items inside the window and save this image in another lane.
Yes I also thought about this as mentioned earlier, just thinking that if there's some other sound or edits next to the initial source, then the comp area would include also those, which could be different than the initial source so the crossfade could be weird.

But yeah, let's wait and see with what solution Schwa will come up in the next build.