Old 10-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
smandrap
Human being with feelings

Default v7.01+dev1020 - October 20 2023

v7.01+dev1020 - October 20 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: ReaSurround support for 128 inputs
  • + API/Accessibility: fix issues with MIDI editor last_clicked_cc_lane
  • + Comp areas: fix behavior when deleting edge between two adjacent comp areas [p=2723290]
  • + Comp areas: fix left-click mouse modifiers to set loop points to comp area [p=2723284]
  • + JSFX: fix bug with top channel in channel_mapper [t=283773]
  • + Lanes: add track setting to show/hide lane buttons (right-click or alt-click lane collapse button)
  • + Lanes: improve lane area size calculations with non-100% layouts
  • + MIDI editor: fix inconsistent text colors of CC lane description
  • + Media items: actions to set custom item colors also clear any custom per-take colors [p=2723344]
  • + Preferences: support setting track lane buttons hidden by default
  • + Project: show indicator on ruler if project maximum length has been enabled
  • + Razor edit: support relative snap [t=283820]
  • + Razor edits: if snapping to grid at any distance, also snap to the original, unsnapped position
  • + ReaComp: fix reset of RMS size via doubleclick [p=2723224]
  • + Virtual MIDI Keyboard: show all available keyboard assignments [t=283801]
  • # Lanes: remove empty lanes immediately after changing lane autoremove setting via action
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 10-20-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
[*]+ Project: show indicator on ruler if project maximum length has been enabled
Thanks a lot for this. Can we also have some interaction with that indicator? Something like drag to resize project limit.

Quote:
[*] Lanes: add track setting to show/hide lane buttons (right-click or alt-click lane collapse button)
Very nice, but at the current state of things it's a little too "aggressive", requiring to use an action (which btw is not marked as toggle) to see the buttons again. Maybe just hide the lane buttons and show the lane collapse button as a compromise?
Old 10-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #3
akademie

Quote:
v7.01+dev1020 - October 20 2023
[*]+ Project: show indicator on ruler if project maximum length has been enabled
Thanks for this nice informative addition

(will check it later today)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
requiring to use an action (which btw is not marked as toggle) to see the buttons again. Maybe just hide the lane buttons and show the lane collapse button as a compromise?
The lane collapse button should still be shown when the lane buttons are hidden, so you can interact with it to show the lane buttons again. If you are not seeing the lane collapse button, can you share how you get into that state?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
can you share how you get into that state?

MacOS 12.6.8
Old 10-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Ah thanks, the cause is faulty interaction with Preferences / Appearance / Track Control Panels / Align TCP controls when track icons or fixed item lanes are used. You must have that option disabled; it's enabled by default. We'll fix it, thanks for the report.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
smandrap

Quote:
Also related: the project limit is ignored in the midi editor, allowing us to see our projects from neptune

Can we get the zoom out limit and the indicator also there?

Old 10-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Can we also have some interaction with that indicator? Something like drag to resize project limit.
+1 drag project end icon, really miss this from Logic
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
smandrap

Quote:
Ah thanks, the cause is faulty interaction with Preferences / Appearance / Track Control Panels / Align TCP controls when track icons or fixed item lanes are used. You must have that option disabled; it's enabled by default. We'll fix it, thanks for the report.
Yeah i had the option disabled, and it works when enabled! Thanks
Old 10-20-2023, 09:41 AM   #10
Vagelis

Missing an option to restore the playable lanes after collapsing them. Today it happened a couple of times with layering/arranging where I had to set them to play each time after collapsing.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:53 AM   #11
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Missing an option to restore the playable lanes after collapsing them. Today it happened a couple of times with layering/arranging where I had to set them to play each time after collapsing.
it feels too easy to undo the Lane Solo state (through Collapse/single-lane actions), which often is set up a very specific way to facilitate some use case. ie : bottom track is MUTED but contains original unchopped breakbeat. lanes above are always active and are where things get rearranged creatively, with the muted source lane easy to Razor from and place.

Had to go back and re-set the play states that were selected in an intentional way, like above

Last edited by ferropop; 10-20-2023 at 10:33 AM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Also related: the project limit is ignored in the midi editor, allowing us to see our projects from neptune

Can we get the zoom out limit and the indicator also there?

Hell yeah. Zoom Out limit is near. Please, finally!
Old 10-20-2023, 10:36 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
If you have multiple lanes playing, it seems like you'd be better off taking the track out of fixed lane mode, rather than collapsing to one playing lane. The playback won't change, and the lane play state will be restored (because it never changed) if you put the track back in fixed lane mode.

(note, while experimenting with this I notice that the option to offset overlapping media items vertically doesn't always work as expected when taking a track out of fixed lanes, so we'll fix that.)
Old 10-20-2023, 10:56 AM   #14
Vagelis

Ok Though, as from the very start, I still wish if we had a TCP button to set fixed lanes on/off. I think going through the menu many times just to restore the play state is not so instant as it would be with a button somewhere.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #15
ferropop

Quote:
If you have multiple lanes playing, it seems like you'd be better off taking the track out of fixed lane mode, rather than collapsing to one playing lane. The playback won't change, and the lane play state will be restored (because it never changed) if you put the track back in fixed lane mode.

(note, while experimenting with this I notice that the option to offset overlapping media items vertically doesn't always work as expected when taking a track out of fixed lanes, so we'll fix that.)
Schwa just curious, in a track previously fixed-lane (as you describe), what happens when touching those items? Will this reliably turn back into its previous fixed-lane state? It's almost impossible to know what's happening to hidden items when they're all invisibly overlapping.

I just wouldn't have the confidence to use that as my "show only one lane" action (to simplify the screen en-masse) if there's risk of not being able to return to the original state.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #16
ferropop

Just weird corner cases emerge always with common things like Razor Edits, I just imagine there'd be unintended consequences if you start flying things around with REs in a track with the described state. I just have the feeling Something unexpected would happen, but I hope I'm wrong
Old 10-20-2023, 11:20 AM   #17
gofer
-blänk-

Would be nice to have a modifier click on the lane collapse button do the show/hide thing.
The related action should probably be renamed to „Toggle show/hide fixed lane buttons“ or similar.

Another nitpick: This button seems to ignore mouse hover state. Verified with a really obvious middle part in the fixed_lanes_***.png images. Not outrageous, but I‘d be happier with the button confirming that I am at the right hitpoint.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #18
Edgemeal

Could you please have a look at these actions, neither work as expected here,

Code:
View: Toggle track zoom to maximum height (even if over 100% of arrange view)
View: Toggle track zoom to maximum height (limit to 100% of arrange view)
Repro:
Using clean +dev1020_x64 install on Win10.
Add ~5 tracks.
Select track 3.
Run action.
Some other track is shown instead of the selected track.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Would be nice to have a modifier click on the lane collapse button do the show/hide thing.
Alt+click does that, right?
Old 10-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #20
PhelixK

Quote:
Another nitpick: This button seems to ignore mouse hover state. Verified with a really obvious middle part in the fixed_lanes_***.png images. Not outrageous, but I‘d be happier with the button confirming that I am at the right hitpoint.
Yeah, if the tool-tip is shown, I would also expect the image slice to change, if it's available ofc.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #21
PhelixK

One small thing, when fixed lane child-tracks are super collapsed, the little unsynced media item boxes stick out, I don't think they are useful in this view and can be a bit distracting. Perhaps it's best that they are hidden:

– I don't know when it happened, but now the big/small buttons and the hidden indicator can be shown, even at very narrow track heights. And it looks like the minimum width of the lane header area has been reduced quite a bit. That's absolutely great!

I wonder if the vertical placement of media items can be further fine-tuned. There is a small (but significant) difference in the height of the media items when comparing a regular track with a fixed lane track. With play only one lane, there are the black separator lines that take up some space, which is probably not necessary, plus some extra empty pixels.

But hey, maybe there's a good reason for this. It's just something I've noticed and tried to point out in the past.

Regardless, I think it's important to clean up as much as possible, as every pixel counts in terms of when labels are hidden, so the more free space there is on the media item, the greater the chance that labels will not be hidden.

Here it is slightly enlarged to better see the difference:

Old 10-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #22
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Alt+click does that, right?
Ooh, it does! Noice! I didn‘t even try… the context menu is missing this hint then.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #23
mlprod

Quote:
v7.01+dev1020 - October 20 2023[*]+ Comp areas: fix behavior when deleting edge between two adjacent comp areas [p=2723290][*]+ Comp areas: fix left-click mouse modifiers to set loop points to comp area [p=2723284]
Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Confirmed fix, thanks Schwa!

Now I had some occasional undo glitches with editing comp areas, like the undo not working. For now I can't give steps to reproduce but just something to be aware of maybe. Sorry for the vague report.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:55 PM   #24
YuriOl

In Reaper 6, it was possible to see aitems in the arrangement window when folders were minimized in any theme.
Now in Reaper 7 you can't see the aitems at all, and in themes created for Reaper 6 and 5 they are barely recognizable. Even the color of the elements is indistinguishable.

Reaper 7

Reaper 6

When editing a line in the theme configuration to 8 pixels, the tracks and aitems look like this

YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:36 AM   #25
gofer
-blänk-

There has been a regression regarding "Selecting a single note sets channel for new notes". Since the official release it's gone back to not working when the midi filter is set to a specific channel.
Last version it worked was 70rc13
Old 10-21-2023, 02:08 AM   #26
PhelixK

Not sure where to post this, but there have been some changes to the Loudness Meter regarding column flow in the default theme, and how it is determined for the fxlist.

What happens now if the LM is embedded, it can no longer shrink, which was a really nice and useful feature (it still works for ReaLimit).
I hope to get it back:

Last edited by PhelixK; 10-21-2023 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:24 AM   #27
Loulou92

After project end, can we get an option to have the grid disappear ? Visually, cosmetically, it would be nice to have just the BG colour for example, after project end. I also see situations where people would want to put stray audio after project end. So an option would be nice I think, if possible at all.

Interaction with the end point via mouse drag would be nice for sure !
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 03:27 AM   #28
mlprod

I can't seem to get the action "Fixed lane comp area: Add comp area between previous and next comp areas for lane at mouse" to work.

Edit: apologies, this seems to be the default left click behaviour.
Old 10-21-2023, 03:29 AM   #29
benmiller

Quote:
maybe related to this: i often use "offset overlapping media items" and it often occurs that when dragging an item it's vertical position will jump around, which can get quite confusing/irritating.
I considered this was maybe jsut a live with it and the new fixed lane feature solves this in a way. but now that you mention switching back and forth between both views i'm thinking this is maybe something which can get infact fixed?
When "offset overlapping media items" is on, if items could conserve there vertical offset when beeing dragged arround through other items it would be great.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 06:28 AM   #30
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
There has been a regression regarding "Selecting a single note sets channel for new notes". Since the official release it's gone back to not working when the midi filter is set to a specific channel.
Last version it worked was 70rc13
It works unless the note channel is not included in the filter channels, right? This was unfortunately necessary. There is a lot of existing logic in the MIDI editor that requires the channel for new events to be included in the filter.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:36 AM   #31
Gass n Klang

Quote:
v7.01+dev1020 - October 20 2023[*]+ Lanes: add track setting to show/hide lane buttons (right-click or alt-click lane collapse button)
can we have that affecting all tracks?
Old 10-21-2023, 06:40 AM   #32
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
What happens now if the LM is embedded, it can no longer shrink
Ah, this actually affects any embedded FX after the first one. Looking into it, thanks for the report.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #33
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
can we have that affecting all tracks?
+1 for a set of lane display actions which affects all tracks
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #34
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
It works unless the note channel is not included in the filter channels, right? This was unfortunately necessary. There is a lot of existing logic in the MIDI editor that requires the channel for new events to be included in the filter.
Whouldn't simply including the new channel in the filter (if it isn't already) meet that requirement?
And
if only a single channel is included when a change of "channel for new events" is triggered by the function,
then
swap the previously included channel with the new one instead of just adding the new channel.

That way the channel for new events is automatically always included in the filter and it stays a single one if it was single in the first place.
That's how Juliansadders script does it.

For a reasonable workflow with MPE data it is sometimes necessary to have the filter set to exclusively the same channel as the channel for new events. The idea is to have all channels visible ("show only events that pass filter" disabled) and nevertheless keep CC data from other channels from being selected by a marquee selection.
The only way at the moment would be to filter all other channels from view, but then we'd need to constantly switch the filter on and off each time we want to select another note to edit the controller data for. Which is not a good solution at all.

Btw, Julians script also works when selecting a single CC, which is really useful as well, because we can keep the mouse in the CC lane.

here's a licecap of Julian's script plus the midi filter (done with an older Reaper version on my almost abandoned PC, because Licecap seems to be acting up on my MacBook, so please excuse the janky mouse movement)

Again, the swapping is only done when a single channel is set in the filter. If there are multiple channels, the previous channel just stays included.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #35
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Whouldn't simply including the new channel in the filter (if it isn't already) meet that requirement?
Well, yeah, that would be fine. That's not what the 7.0 behavior was though, which is why it was reverted for 7.001.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #36
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, I just assumed it was doing it in rc13, but never verified, because it just worked in the bit of testing I did.

If you do this, please don‘t forget about the special case for single included channels. That‘s the important part, because just adding channels would break the purpose of the whole idea.
Also, if possible, please reintroduce the select single CC part of the function. It is really speeding things up a lot when working in the CC lane area (if the mouse is not as rubbish as the one I used on the licecap ).