Old 04-11-2024, 10:28 AM   #1
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Default v7.14+dev0411 - April 11 2024

v7.14+dev0411 - April 11 2024
  • * Include feature branch: improved time signature marker editing behavior
  • * Includes feature branch: support adding image metadata to mp3 files in Media Explorer
  • * Includes feature branch: optionally prompt to adjust tempo of empty project when importing media
  • * Includes feature branch: support preserving source media metadata when rendering master mix or stems
  • * Includes feature branch: more informational error messages when writing new files fails
  • * Includes feature branch: up-rank/down-rank takes and take markers
  • * Includes feature branch: additional localization options
  • * Includes feature branch: extended ASCII encoding for .wav file text metadata
  • + Takes: add actions to add up-ranked/down-ranked take markers at 1 second or 2 seconds before play position, if playing back
  • + Tempo map: support a mixed timebase which uses beats for time signature markers and time for tempo markers
  • # Accessilbity: allow -inf input for ReaDelay volume/feedback and ReaPitch volume
  • # Take markers: retain take markers in split items after running actions to split at take markers
  • # Virtual MIDI keyboard: more dynamic control arrangement
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 04-11-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
smandrap

Quote:
+ Takes: add actions to add up-ranked/down-ranked take markers at 1 second or 2 seconds before play position, if playing back
I love you
Old 04-11-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
  • # Take markers: retain take markers in split items after running actions to split at take markers
After some testing it seems to work correctly now. Thanks
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 PM   #4
akademie

Quote:
  • # Virtual MIDI keyboard: more dynamic control arrangement
I very appreciate the effort to work it out, but I really don't think that we've gone somewhere. It looks like we are going in circles (again - maybe less words (abbreviated) on GUI would suffice the problem).
And I'm giving up about this
Old 04-11-2024, 12:45 PM   #5
inthevoid

Quote:
v7.14+dev0411 - April 11 2024[*]+ Tempo map: support a mixed timebase which uses beats for time signature markers and time for tempo markers
[/url]
Wow - thanks. Looking forward to testing this out properly tomorrow.

Edit: small thing, but I misread the new option in the Project Settings dropdown as Tempo:Time Signature:Beats rather than Tempo:Time Signature:Beats on first glance and got a bit confused - my brain picked up on 'Time Signature' first!
Old 04-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #6
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
I very appreciate the effort to work it out, but I really don't think that we've gone somewhere. It looks like we are going in circles (again - maybe less words (abbreviated) on GUI would suffice the problem).
And I'm giving up about this
What's the issue with the current way in this dev?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:58 PM   #7
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
What's the issue with the current way in this dev?
with small width of the Virtual keyb. window, the checkboxes are still hidding too early, so we end up with no checkboxes while there is still some usable amount of space left
(and that was the issue which started all this VKB redesign (read this Bug Report), then second checkbox was added but previous fix was gone, and again...

I understand that spending too much time on this for devs is not good, there are more important things (bugs ar FR definitely).

But I think, when there is not enough space to display whole text, then keeping the checkboxes and just simple abbreviation to text, something like this (arrows>oct/ch) and (all keys>vbk), could be enough to keep all the controls visible and still informative.

Oh, and I for sure thank for reverting back to the one-row control lane, yes.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:18 PM   #8
mattn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
I love you
Me too.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:21 PM   #9
MonkeyBars

Quote:
[*]+ Takes: add actions to add up-ranked/down-ranked take markers at 1 second or 2 seconds before play position, if playing back
Love this direction very practical thank you!

Quote:
[*]+ Tempo map: support a mixed timebase which uses beats for time signature markers and time for tempo markers
Trying to wrap my head around this – it sounds awesome for film scoring but I'm not totally certain if I get it. Anyone here get it and can explain it to us for me?
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:53 PM   #10
srdmusic

Default Thank the maker!

You guys finally fix tempo mapping with the new meter/ tempo marker changes. It now works much better in terms of conforming for film composing where we use a lot of odd meters and tempo changes. This is also the closest to the way Cubase works.

I can see why some people would think that the old way was more "logical". For those of you that feel that way, please take some time with it. I promise you'll see that there are alot less steps needed when working in this new fashion. In other words, since you havne't worked this way before, you may not fully understand what you've been missing.

Thank you again Devs for listening to us composers.
Attached Images
File Type: gif star-wars-c3po.gif (27.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by srdmusic; 04-11-2024 at 05:00 PM.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:53 PM   #11
dangguidan

When changing the beat, there are still many strange misalignments. It is recommended to restore the method of changing the beat to the previous one, only separating the tempo. For the convenience of communication, I uploaded a project for testing.
The project is here:https://stash.reaper.fm/48473/beat%20test.zip
Old 04-11-2024, 07:49 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangguidan View Post
When changing the beat, there are still many strange misalignments. It is recommended to restore the method of changing the beat to the previous one, only separating the tempo. For the convenience of communication, I uploaded a project for testing.
The project is here:https://stash.reaper.fm/48473/beat%20test.zip

Thanks, fixing these!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:28 AM   #13
inthevoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Trying to wrap my head around this – it sounds awesome for film scoring but I'm not totally certain if I get it. Anyone here get it and can explain it to us for me?
Basically, when scoring to picture, it's often the case you'll have a project full of tempo changes to hit certain things in the picture. The tempo map is the most important thing as it is what makes the bpm of your music sync to the picture - time signatures on the other hand are mostly just a way to say 'here's where beat 1 is' which helps visually when writing and then later down the line when recording with real musicians.

When the picture gets re-edited (often), you'll need to 'conform' your cue to the new picture edit which often means a lot of adding/removing time, adjusting tempos, etc. to get the music to sync back up with the picture.

With the tempo map timebase locked to time and freed from the beats/time signatures, it means that one can say, edit time signatures in the middle of a cue (for example, a beat gets added to a 4/4 bar to hit the picture so you want a 5/4 bar there so that beat 1 of the following bar is in the right place) without also messing up the rest of the tempo map and having your music move about and get out of sync. Before this change it was quite a fiddly process in Reaper.

Last edited by inthevoid; 04-12-2024 at 12:36 AM.
inthevoid is online now   Reply With Quote