Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
czarnekci
Human being with feelings

Default Tape Auto style with Record OUTPUT / folder bussing

Hello,

For me it's a bug: when arming an FX bus with the option "record output" enabled, you listen to the input even if the tape is playing.

That's a shame for the folder tracks, too. If I want to record a drums premix in the track folder "drums", I'm not sure about what I'm listening: outs of tracks that are ine the folder? or the real input of the Folder track.

It's a little bit confusing, the "master/parent" enabled for folder tracks AND also "foldered" tracks.

And even If I record in a bus FX way, or a Folder track, I have to unassign all foldered tracks to Parent/Master, to keep my level/phase correct when I want to listen to the recorded media in the bus track.

Maybe, it's more a feature request, but generally, it would be cool to expand the monitoring and routing capabilities in a more familiar way. I have sends for effects, and I have busses for recording.
With a bus, I can choose if I listen all the tracks coming into the bus, or what have been recorded in the bus. That's the bus/tape listening key. And only this bus have to be connected to master for listening.

I hope I'm clear...I can draw something if i'm not.

Thanks

Last edited by czarnekci; 06-12-2009 at 03:50 AM.
czarnekci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
czarnekci

please...am I the only one who cares about what I'm listening when I'm recording stem?

I will post some pictures with real monitoring matrix.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnekci View Post
please...am I the only one who cares about what I'm listening when I'm recording stem?

I will post some pictures with real monitoring matrix.
Hi,

Maybe you just need to adopt the Reaper filosophy: there are no buses, there are no track types. Everything is possible with sends , folders and by pressing or not pressing the monitor button.

As far as i know you will always hear what has been recorded if you dont 'monitor' the track. But perhaps i am missing something, I dont know.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
czarnekci

Quote:
Maybe you just need to adopt the Reaper filosophy: there are no buses, there are no track types. Everything is possible with sends , folders and by pressing or not pressing the monitor button.

As far as i know you will always hear what has been recorded if you dont 'monitor' the track. But perhaps i am missing something, I dont know.
Yes, but if I "monitor" the track in "tape style mode", I wish listen what I'm recording when I press record, and what is recorded when I just press play. Even If I choose "output" for the input of the track.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
czarnekci

The real bug is here, too:
when I'm recording something in the folder, and press play, I will listen both foldered-tracks and folder's items!! very strange...because if I mute the folder track, I mute the output of the foldered track...

In my opinion, the folder is after the track and before the MASTER.
In fact, the folder would be "output" monitored by default. It's logical, we need to understand where the signal goes and come...and I think I'm totally join the reaper routing's philosophy!

I've posted other features in this topic, in relation between this bug: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...275#post333275
Old 06-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnekci View Post
Yes, but if I "monitor" the track in "tape style mode", I wish listen what I'm recording when I press record, and what is recorded when I just press play. Even If I choose "output" for the input of the track.
OK, i think i hear what you are saying. The way you describe works ok when recording input right ? Have you tried selecting 'monitor track media when recording' to see if that changes anything ?

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote