Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default [IID#1258] Edit cursor behavior on stop/pause

Link to FR. Please vote here.
Learn more about the Feature Request tracker here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
1)
Current behavior: Stopping playback leaves the edit cursor to the location the playback started.
Wanted behavior: On stop, move the edit cursor to the stopped location. Pressing stop again, moves the edit cursor to its previous location.

With this feature, you get the older behavior by hitting stop twice.

Playback-->Stop (edit cursor moves to current location)-->Stop again (edit cursor jumps to its previous location, which is where playback started from)

2)
Current behavior: Pause causes the edit cursor to move to the paused location.
Wanted behavior: Pause doesn't move the edit cursor. Only pauses the play cursor.

With the previous FR implemented, pressing stop when paused would move the edit cursor to the current location.

3)The edit cursor can have a memory of the last 2-3 locations, and cycle through them by pressing the stop button.

This 3rd point can stand on its own being universally useful in many scenarios. It also complements points 1 and 2 for the desired purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
No.3 is quite the new thing. Nice idea indeed.

This has profound use for tracing back to previous cue points. Nobody actually does that yet. Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelic
This is a GREAT feature superior to even the Cubase implementation and I know of no other DAW that has this novel and useful benefit.

Good job.

Not only that - what other great uses can the "double tap" key command model have?

Or the hold for 1 or 2 seconds model - both of which are used in hardware devices to give more flexibility and options when buttons are limited...and buttons are very limited on a QWERTY keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsup
i'm for the 2 last suggestions

but not to twice stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
Great idea. All for the change, though should be an option for those who like the current behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Why aren't there more votes on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelic
I often play to an edit point but with Reaper - the cursor always goes back to a starting point. That's a huge problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D
I was actually quite surprised when I tried out Reaper and couldn't find the preference to stop the cursor from jumping back when stopped. This is the first DAW, or recorder of any kind, I have ever seen where this happens without being able to change it. I and my associates are professional recording engineers rather than musician/midi sequencing guys and this is a must before we could completely change over. I am sure I am not alone on that because it is simply how we normally work and always have. I like your suggestions, at least the first two, and frankly am not sure I can fully implement Reaper, as much as I would love to, until a few odd characteristics like that are cleared up.(who would have thought that pressing stop doesn't just stop the cursor in position - pause is not the same unfortunately). I am going throught the suggestions now to find ones like yours that I agree with so I am not redundant when I post some of the other odd little things that are common most everywhere else but not Reaper, such as direct monitoring.
Chris D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
To me the space bar 'is' the stop button. It is also the play button, however. Which makes me inclined to say I don't want any double-tap features mapped to it that mess things up for me, since I am already using a double-tap implementation for start/stop. And I definitely do not want the *edit* cursor to move anywhere (as suggested at 1. above) while playing/pausing/stopping/rewinding/forwarding, only the *playback* cursor should be affected imho (which makes me agree completely with 2. above).

But not being able to click the play button again to stop playback (which is as it currently is) feels quite silly as well. So perhaps the current "stop & rewind to position where playback started" function should just be mapped onto the playback button (rather than the stop button), which should then become a toggle switch, and have the space bar mapped to it as default keyboard shortcut. Then you can make the stop button do something else, like - as suggested above - properly stop in place.

May I also remark here that the playback position / cursor behavior gets completely messed up whenever you change the tempo while playing. But that's probably just another symptom of the failing clock/beat syncing algorithms in Reaper that should probably be rewritten from the ground up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent
+1, the edit cursor definitely needs to stay where it is when pressing pause!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
May I just add that the option for request 1)On stop, move the edit cursor to the stopped location should also be implemented as a toggle action, so a user can quickly switch between behaviors depending on what is being edited.

It should also be in sync with MIDI Editor playback behavior by default (again optional/toggleable),
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Gelic
Human being with feelings

Default Just assign the Pause/Play action to any key you want

Don't know why no one ever suggested this to all the people driven crazy by the magic moving cursor - but if you want the play / pause cursor behavior that the space bar produces in every other DAW, just assign the Pause/Play action to the space bar.

You do this in Actions. I also assigned my P key to this behavior and also my number keypad enter key all the way on the right of the keyboard.

So now I have no shortage of ways to pause the cursor when playing.

In the end, I left the reaper behavior at default and am now just using the num pad enter key for play/pause.

Lastly - on a media keyboard - the pause/play button does just that - plays and pauses when toggled.

Hope this helps!!
Gelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
dranaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelic View Post
Don't know why no one ever suggested this to all the people driven crazy by the magic moving cursor - but if you want the play / pause cursor behavior that the space bar produces in every other DAW, just assign the Pause/Play action to the space bar.

You do this in Actions. I also assigned my P key to this behavior and also my number keypad enter key all the way on the right of the keyboard.

So now I have no shortage of ways to pause the cursor when playing.

In the end, I left the reaper behavior at default and am now just using the num pad enter key for play/pause.

Lastly - on a media keyboard - the pause/play button does just that - plays and pauses when toggled.

Hope this helps!!
Brilliant! makes my work flow 100% easier
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Reepicheep

Coming from Cubase most recently, I support the feature request. With the Cubase-style implementation, one press terminates playback and leaves the cursor where it is and two presses returns the cursor to the original position. You always have a choice after the first press to go back again by pressing a second time.

The issue for me with the current implementation in REAPER is that, once I press Play/Pause to terminate playback at the current position, then after the fact, there seems to be no way to easily return to the original pre-play cursor position. (Unless I am missing something.)

Having said that, and not speaking for anyone else of course, I could live with a new action such as "Return Cursor To Previous Position". This would allow all the options in Cubase, albeit with one more key involved.

EDIT: I found the Xenaikos/SWS actions "Store edit cursor" and "Recall edit cursor". I created a custom action consisting of (1) Store Edit Cursor followed by (2) Play/Pause. I have assigned an adjacent key to Recall Edit Cursor. The issue I mentioned is solved ... for me at least. Every time I think "Oh no, REAPER can't do this", I seem to find a way that REAPER has provided me with the tools to solve my own problems. I love it! I still support the feature request.

Last edited by Reepicheep; 09-16-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Found a solution to my issue
Reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Ziknab

Default very simple

Click on Ctrl+space or Enter because space = Play/ Stop, and Ctrl+Space or Enter = Play/Pause.
This is it!
Ziknab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziknab View Post
Click on Ctrl+space or Enter because space = Play/ Stop, and Ctrl+Space or Enter = Play/Pause.
This is it!
I don't think your solution does the trick. As much as I dislike Cubase, I have to admit that Steinberg have got their transport buttons right and Cockos haven't.

Last edited by Scoox; 08-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Eyes

+1 this gets confusing working between Cubase and Reaper.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I don't think your solution does the trick. As much as I dislike Cubase, I have to admit that Steinberg have got their transport buttons right and Cockos haven't.
And I'd dare to claim that this is just a force of habit...

I have assigned my Space key to this macro:
Code:
Xenakios/SWS: Store edit cursor position
Transport: Play/stop
and I have assigned the num-keypad Enter to this macro:

Code:
Xenakios/SWS: recall edit cursor position
Transport: Play/stop
My normal Enter key is assigned to the default
Code:
Transport: Play/pause
This gives me all the combinations of starting from the original pos, continuing from where I was, etc, that I need...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Scoox

While it may be possible to achieve Cubase-like transport buttons using keyboard shortcuts, my point remains valid because the clickable transport buttons' behaviour cannot be changed.

As an idea, it would be really cool if users could assign custom macros to each of the transport buttons. Not quite the same as custom toolbars because transport buttons have context menus.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Gelic

Quote:
While it may be possible to achieve Cubase-like transport buttons using keyboard shortcuts, my point remains valid because the clickable transport buttons' behaviour cannot be changed.

As an idea, it would be really cool if users could assign custom macros to each of the transport buttons. Not quite the same as custom toolbars because transport buttons have context menus.
Update: My solution of mapping the space key to the pause/play function is a failure because when one then hits record and uses the space bar to "stop" recording, recording stays on.

After a few years of listening to users - it's clear many would love for the cursor to simply locate to whatever point at which playback stops. Again, this is how it works, not only in every other DAW, but in film editing software as well: Sony Vegas, et. al.

But Reaper is still the most amazingly wonderful DAW ever created, all things considered :-)

After a drink or two, ever ask: What is Truth?
--------
-Gelic
Gelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Eyes

Is there any way just to pause the playhead and not move the edit cursor?
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Scoox

Bump. I wonder if this is on Cocko's to-do list.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Scoox

We need two completely independent cursors: Edit cursor and Playback cursor. At the moment we have these two, except that we have very little control over the behaviour of the playback cursor.

The Stop action should do this:

1. First press: Playback cursor stops at current location.
2. Second press: Playback cursor moves to position of Edit cursor.
3. Third press: Playback cursor moves to start of project.

Note that the Edit cursor does not move in any case.

This feature should be default behaviour for all stop buttons, including transport bar Stop button and any control surface stop button e.g. Frontier Tranzport, Mackie Control Universal, etc, as these cannot be assigned a custom action.

There should also be an action named "Transport: compound stop" to do this.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by Scoox; 05-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
bobbybovine

Quote:
We need two completely independent cursors: Edit cursor and Playback cursor. At the moment we have these two, except that we have very little control over the behaviour of the playback cursor.

Note that the Edit cursor does not move in any case.

This feature should be default behaviour for all stop buttons, including transport bar Stop button and any control surface stop button e.g. Frontier Tranzport, Mackie Control Universal, etc, as these cannot be assigned a custom action.

There should also be an action named "Transport: compound stop" to do this.

Thank you guys!
Bump. This would be a fantastic enhancement. More control over playback behavior is always a good thing.
bobbybovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Scoox

So is this in the pipeline?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
spandy

Hello. My first post here, simply to encourage the inclusion of this feature in future versions.

I purchased Reaper a few months ago, simply because I wanted to try out a new DAW and see what it would do to my workflow. Having gone through Gioa's Groove 3 vids I am definitely happy with Reaper, except for the lack of this very feature. It is absolutely a must for me to have an independent edit cursor and playback cursor - as soon as this is implemented in Reaper, I think I would be able to make it my primary DAW. Well, I thought I would just mention my support for this.
spandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
filtersweep

Default something so small

and yet it is the type of thing that will make me stop using the whole package it's default behaviour is deeply annoying
filtersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #18
MacG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelic View Post
...You do this in Actions. I also assigned my P key to this behavior and also my number keypad enter key all the way on the right of the keyboard.... Hope this helps!!
Sorry for posting to such an old thread, but I have looked and looked for a way to do this, and this is it. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

I have a keyboard that has multimedia keys. I assigned the play/pause action to the play/pause key on the keyboard. Absolute perfection.

- Mac
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #19
michail03

I still want this problem to be solved!
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=163892
michail03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 AM   #20
Scoox

me too...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #21
hanz

Default me too

I still want this problem to be solved!
hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #22
mpl

Lua:
PHP Code:
playstate reaper.GetPlayState()
play_pos reaper.GetPlayPosition()
valOut reaper.GetExtState("playBack_state""Pause")
if 
valOut ~= nil then 
  pause_pos 
tonumber(valOut)
end  

-- if stopped press play

if playstate == 0 then  
  reaper
.Main_OnCommandEx(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_SAVE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1"), 00

reaper.OnPlayButton()

reaper.DeleteExtState("playBack_state""Pause"true)     
end

-- if playing from start press pause

if playstate == and pause_pos == nil then
    reaper
.CSurf_OnPause()

play_pos2 reaper.GetPlayPosition()    

reaper.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"play_pos2true)
end

-- if playing from pause press stop
if playstate == and pause_pos ~= nil and play_pos pause_pos then
  reaper
.CSurf_OnStop()  

reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_RESTORE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1"), 00)

reaper.DeleteExtState("playBack""State"true)

end

-- if paused press play
if playstate == 2 then  
  pause_pos2 
reaper.GetCursorPositionEx(0)

reaper.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"pause_pos2true)

reaper.OnPlayButton()
end 
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #23
hanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Lua:
PHP Code:
if 
valOut ~= nil then 
  pause_pos 
tonumber(valOut)
end  

-- if stopped press play

if playstate == 0 then  
  reaper
.Main_OnCommandEx(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_SAVE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1"), 00

reaper.OnPlayButton()

end

reaper
.CSurf_OnPause()

play_pos2 reaper.GetPlayPosition()    

reaper.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"play_pos2true)
end

reaper
.CSurf_OnStop()  

reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_RESTORE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1"), 00)

end

-- if paused press play
if playstate == 2 then  
  pause_pos2 
reaper.GetCursorPositionEx(0)

reaper.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"pause_pos2true)

reaper.OnPlayButton()
end 
RU
Когда нажимаешь паузу, эдит курсор по прежнему меняет позицию. А хотелось бы, чтобы эдит курсор не перепрыгивал к плейбэк курсору. Он должен оставаться на прежней позиции.
ENG
When you press the pause, the edit cursor continues to change position. He must remain in the same position.

Last edited by hanz; 07-15-2015 at 10:40 PM.
hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
mpl

Only possible with additional marker, because play cursor always starts from edit cursor. Even if we already playing project, when we move edit cursor, play cursor also follows it and start playing from. In this case we need from cockos one setting - prefs / audio / seeking / seek playback on edit cursor adjustment, it also should affect to reascript, and of course add SetCursorPosition() / SetPlayPosition() or something like this.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 AM   #25
mpl

Like this,
PHP Code:
pause_pos1 reaper.GetCursorPositionEx(0)
marker_name "Start"
if 
valOut ~= nil then 
  pause_pos 
tonumber(valOut)
end  

-- if stopped press play

if playstate == 0 then  
  reaper
.AddProjectMarker(0falsepause_pos1pause_pos1marker_name1)  

reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_SAVE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1"), 00

reaper.OnPlayButton()

end

reaper
.CSurf_OnPause()       

reaper.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"play_postrue)
end

reaper
.CSurf_OnStop()  

pause_pos2 reaper.GetCursorPositionEx(0)

retvalnum_markersOutnum_regionsOut reaper.CountProjectMarkers(0)
  if 
num_markersOut ~= nil then

for 1num_markersOutdo

retvalisrgnOutposOutrgnendOutnameOutmarkrgnindexnumberOutcolorOut reaper.EnumProjectMarkers3(0i-1)
      if 
posOut == pause_pos2 and nameOut == marker_name then
        reaper
.DeleteProjectMarker(01false

end  
    end
  end

end

-- if paused press play
if playstate == 2 then    
  reaper
.SetExtState("playBack_state""Pause"pause_pos1true)

reaper.OnPlayButton()
end 
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #26
Monroy

Would be great to have the same cursor behavior like in Cubase.

Hit "Stop" once = cursor pause
Hit "Stop" twice = cursor stop (back to the start position)
Monroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #27
hermitcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroy View Post
Would be great to have the same cursor behavior like in Cubase.

Hit "Stop" once = cursor pause
Hit "Stop" twice = cursor stop (back to the start position)
Yes, i totally agree
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
Andywanders

Quote:

This Cycle Action will do it.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:20 AM   #29
Luster

+1 from my side

Although there are some nice workaround actions/scripts these all spam the undo list in a very annoying way. Unless we have option to exclude actions from undo history.

Luster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #30
MT_

Default Counterproductive default Space action

Indeed, the default Space-key behavior resetting playing position is really annoying and counterproductive. Even worse, keyboard shortcuts for stopping playback with maintaining cursor position (“Play/pause”) are different depending on context:

e.g. Enter works by default in track list, but doesn’t in MIDI editor.

Fortunately, it’s possible to change keyboard shortcuts via “Actions → Show action list”, but changing default keyboard shortcuts is undesirable since this affects workflow portability — once the user used to custom keyboard shortcuts, the user can’t comfortably work on a different computer anymore — including cases when the user is not allowed to change default settings.

It really makes sense to change the default keyboard shortcut for “Play/pause” to consistent Space key for better usability and parity with other DAWs.
MT_ is offline   Reply With Quote