Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
thetriguy
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for MAC Crashing - Help!!

OK, well I finally took the advice from all the guys who say "get a mac" when I have a problem. I bought a new MB Pro, 8 GB of Ram. I installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Reaper on it, and have only used the 32 bit version. I'm not even sure if I need the other one or not???

Anyway, I've been going in registering my plugins. I use Amplitube 3, Sampletank, ARC, Classik Reverb, T-Racks, and tons of stuff from Toontrack. I've got a lot invested in hardware and software, and got tired of intermittent windows problems and the answer of GET A MAC. I got one and now Reaper is crashing like crazy. Wierd thing is Reaper itself has never crashed for me on the PC.

What is happening is when I am in the plugin window, if I take a plugin off the window, most of the time Reaper instantly crashes. I don't know much about MAC, but I've heard how stable it is. It's not lasting 5 minutes without crashing.

I am attaching pdf file of what the mac is spitting out. All of the crashes are in Reaper. All these plugins work fine on the PC. I am REALLY hoping someone can assist me with this!

Thanks a lot! I'm really counting you Mac guys that talked me into getting this to now help me! :-) BTW, this is the latest version of Snow Leopard. Best Buy didn't have Lion on the computer when I got it, Lion had just come out.

Mark

ps... nevermind on me sending the .pdf. The forum wouldn't let me attach it because it was 115 K and supposedly too large to upload. The upload limit for .pdf was only around 16K. Thanks again everyone!
thetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

First off, if you're new on the Mac, maybe installing both the 32 and 64 bit versions went wrong? Remove everything REAPER from Applications, then move or delete the resource folder in ~Users/<your account>/Library/Application Support/REAPER, then install the 32-bit version only.

Please see this thread about crash logs: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 - you only need to copy+paste the small relevant bit into your post, no need to attach anything, but if you export the crash reporter log as a simple .txt file or zip it, it should fit as an attachment.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
amsonx

I'm new on Reaper but not on mac, i assume that you have lion installed if you have got a brand new mac so look at this list to see if your plugin work well on mac osx Lion

http://soundstud.io/lion-audio-compatibility-chart/

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
amsonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
thetriguy

I posted the crash log here... It may have been the wrong place but the only other place I saw to post to was for errors in the user guide.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...621#post807621

I am going to take your advice and remove the 64 bit version. Does that mean that my additional 4 gig of ram (I have 8 now) are going to be wasted? I know Windows can only use 4 gig if running a 32 bit app, at least that's what I understand anyway.

Amsonx, I am not running the Lion version. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

I downloaded the trial of Philharmonik and reproduced this crash on unloading the plugin.

The crash occurs entirely within the plugin code. Technical details: REAPER calls effClose, and the plugin crashes within the destructor. These VSTs seem to be based on the VSTGUI library, so it may be a bug or incompatibility in the VSTGUI code.

Either way, I'm afraid IK support will need to take it from here. Please let them know they can contact us directly if they need any more information, or if they think REAPER is doing something wrong.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

... I note that the crash only occurs in the VST version. The AU version of the same plugin seems fine. (The plugin installer contains both the VST and AU versions.)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
thetriguy

Default Hmmmm

Schwa,

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me. I've never used a .AU plugin before, is there any disadvantage to running it over running VST (other than in my case VST doesn't work of course).

Ollie recommended uninstalling the 32 and 64 bit versions and reinstalling just the 32. I will be doing that tonight.

I have used these plugins before with windows, and they work fine. They don't crash when unloading them. I guess it's a MAC thing.

This sucks... to believe I just sank all that money on a MB Pro because supposedly it makes all my dreams come true when recording... Appearantly not. I will still pop IK Multimedia an email and see what they can do for me... I have a feeling not much.

Thanks again Schwa.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

In theory, there should be no functional difference between the AU and VST versions of a plugin. In practice, either one could have bugs (caused by either the host or the plugin) that the other doesn't have.

For what it's worth, OSX VST plugins are not as well supported by hosts as AU plugins -- there are just not as many hosts that load VST plugins on OSX. On the other hand, REAPER has supported VST longer than AU, so there may be more small glitches (typically graphics or UI problems) than with VST.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
bluefonia

Another thing to observe: If you discover a certain plugin that is crashing Reaper - that be Au or VST - rightclick the plugin name in the plugin window and choose "Buggy plugin compatibility mode" from the menu. This helps some of the plugins to run without any issues.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
zmey

Default MIDI event crashing reaper

When I touch a note event in MIDI editor (but this event is inside of copy of .mid file reference item) it crashes Reaper

mac os x 10.5.8 reaper 4.02

Last edited by zmey; 09-09-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: additional data
zmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
bigtwenty

Default OSX Missing tracks while using busses

(Re-posting this to this thread as recommended)

I am running OSX 10.6.8. I created a project and have been recording audio into it. Ever since the new version 4, If I create a Bus track (or folder) and group say all the guitars in it so I can apply one Fx to all tracks in that group, then I choose to do a render of the master mix be it wav, mp3 or whatever, the render will exclude any track that is in a group. Then when I go back to the project, anything in groups will not have audio. I can see the meters on the mixer are lighting up on the screen, but no audio. If I close the project and reopen it, I now have audio. I can render everything fine when they are not in groups (or folders). This was not an issue in version 3.

Thanks!
bigtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote