Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
Ulf3000
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI notes seem to overlap in arrange view & remain visible after item split (SOLVED)

display of midi items draws midi notes wrong in arrange view (they seem to overlap even though they donīt )

in this pic (which i scaled up) they overlap STRONGLY, none of them overlaps in the midieditor though

this would not be a a huge problem BUT splitting items it leaves that "overlapping" (which in reality does NOT exist) as does moving edges and scaling items

like i this gif .. the notes are perfectly aligned and snapped yet see what happens if you split them

Last edited by juliansader; 08-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Ulf3000

midi vstīs have problems too , this is really bad !

i used "apply track fx as new take (midi)"

as you can see it should be all 16th notes yet look what reaper prints as midi output ... seriously ?

the first 3 nots are detected as one and all notes are completely off the grid

you can also hear that in playback of course ..

it gets worse and worse the higher your latency is ... so in a big project which needs to be set to high latency like 512 or 1024 you MUST bounce your midi to track as midi or audio or youll get a completely different output...

this is different for every vst though ..

js is also off a bit , blue arp is the worst

js

Last edited by Ulf3000; 07-24-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
this would not be a a huge problem BUT splitting items it leaves that "overlapping" (which in reality does NOT exist) as does moving edges and scaling items

like i this gif .. the notes are perfectly aligned and snapped yet see what happens if you split them
Perhaps check the setting Preferences -> Media -> MIDI -> Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting.

If this setting is OFF, splitting a MIDI item is non-destructive, so the note to the left of the split point is actually still there, just hidden behind the item start point. The tiny 'note' that you are seeing, is its butt sticking out.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #4
Ulf3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Perhaps check the setting Preferences -> Media -> MIDI -> Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting.

If this setting is OFF, splitting a MIDI item is non-destructive, so the note to the left of the split point is actually still there, just hidden behind the item start point. The tiny 'note' that you are seeing, is its butt sticking out.
i donīt want my midi items to be trimmed though .. (who would want that ? )

my point :
the notes were perfectly aligned to the grid so splitting them at the grid should not leave any butt
well i just delete stuff by hand now ... but since the notes are only 1/512 in length and hardly visible it should at least be known to every new reaper user this happens , hence this is a beAstiary thread

Last edited by Ulf3000; 07-24-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
i donīt want my midi items to be trimmed though .. (who would want that ? )

my point :
the notes were perfectly aligned to the grid so splitting them at the grid should not leave any butt
well i just delete stuff by hand now ... but since the notes are only 1/512 in length and hardly visible it should at least be known to every new reaper user this happens , hence this is a beastiary thread
Reaper tidies up the loose ends, NOT that it cuts anything off the stuff you actually want.
Are you going into the event list editor and making doubly certain that what you see in the MIDI editor is what is actually there in the data?
Depending on what ppqn value you are using, the visual aspects of the MIDI editor can be very misleading.
But if it says a note ends at 4.197 (or whatever) in the event list editor, you can be sure it does. If you just look at the MIDI editor window, who knows?

FWIW as and when I need to edit in this way I also use the trim option & it appears to work fine for what you are wanting.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
well i just delete stuff by hand now ... but since the notes are only 1/512 in length and hardly visible it should at least be known to every new reaper user this happens , hence this is a beAstiary thread
Could you please check that the lengths of the tiny notes are really 1/512? If we are talking about the same issue, the notes should still have their original lengths, just hidden behind the new edges of the item.

To illustrate what happens when item edges are moved, or equivalently, when items are split without trimming:
Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Ulf3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could you please check that the lengths of the tiny notes are really 1/512? If we are talking about the same issue, the notes should still have their original lengths, just hidden behind the new edges of the item.

To illustrate what happens when item edges are moved, or equivalently, when items are split without trimming:
yup this exactly , thanx for your helpman i can just do everything with my hands manually no prob this wasnīt actually a feat request or help request , just completing the beastiary so when devs focus on midi in the future they got more reference points
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #8
ivansc

FFS. I had assumed you had already checked that!!!

Reaper does NON destructive editing, folks, not destructive.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
juliansader

Quote:
display of midi items draws midi notes wrong in arrange view (they seem to overlap even though they donīt )

in this pic (which i scaled up) they overlap STRONGLY, none of them overlaps in the midieditor though
This seeming overlap is probably due to
Options -> Appearance -> Peaks/Waveforms -> Draw edges on MIDI events
which draws thick edges around the events.