Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
lgs
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO Audio device as input, PC-speaker as output?

Hi

I am pretty new to reaper, and I havent figured this one out yet:

Is it possible to use my M-audio Fast Track Pro as my input device (ASIO), and my PC-speakers as my output-device, when the PC-speakers are connected to the computers' internal audio-card?

So far I can only either use the m-audio device as both input and output, or the directaudio as both input and output, but i cant combine the two.
lgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
socrates112

You can use what is called *ASIO4ALL* which can be found here.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Then in reaper, you would just use the asio4all driver for both sound devices.

you should be able to pull up the asio4all panel and select the cards ins/outs you wish to use, and they will become available in reaper.
socrates112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
cerendir

Reading the title of the thread, I thought you were talking about the built-in PC speaker
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates112 View Post
You can use what is called *ASIO4ALL* which can be found here.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Then in reaper, you would just use the asio4all driver for both sound devices.

you should be able to pull up the asio4all panel and select the cards ins/outs you wish to use, and they will become available in reaper.
You mean we can select "ASIO4ALL" in Reaper without it being the drivers for the sound cards?

I've tried useing "ASIO4ALL" on my sound card before and it didn't work.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

ASIO4ALL is not a driver, it is a "driver wrapper" for WDM drivers, it wraps these drivers into something that works in an ASIO environment. It can do this for all WDM audio drivers in a system, hence it can combine several devices. This may or may not work or cause problems though, using a (good) native ASIO driver is usually better and connecting speakers to the internal soundchip outputs when there are outputs on a dedicated interface with better converters is also not exactly brilliant, except for plastic PC speakers probably.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
mayhemkrew

Hate to bring up an old thread but I am trying to do exactly what the OP had a question about but I do not see what others have suggested. When I use my Alesis USB Mixer as the driver, I get all the inputs to map to indivdual tracks in Reaper as intended, but the audio output is routed back to the mixer via USB instead of my PC speakers.

If I use the ASIO4ALL driver, I do not get the 8 inputs listing from the mixer. What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.2 KB, 1309 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (44.9 KB, 922 views)
mayhemkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemkrew View Post
Hate to bring up an old thread but I am trying to do exactly what the OP had a question about but I do not see what others have suggested. When I use my Alesis USB Mixer as the driver, I get all the inputs to map to indivdual tracks in Reaper as intended, but the audio output is routed back to the mixer via USB instead of my PC speakers.

If I use the ASIO4ALL driver, I do not get the 8 inputs listing from the mixer. What am I doing wrong?
Select ASIO4ALL as ASIO Driver and click on the [ASIO Configuration] button in your screenshot to open the ASIO Control panel. Then make sure that all in/outputs (of both the internal soundcard + Alesis) are enabled.

More info in general can be found here: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 AM   #8
SiKo

I successfully use the WASAPI driver (Windows) supported and built in in reaper.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
mayhemkrew

So I got this working, thanks for the help! However one problem...while using this method, the audio output will start to go distorted/scratchy. I have to close Reaper, reopen, and its fine again. I haven't put a Rhyme or Reason to the issue yet. Any ideas?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #10
SiKo

Quote:
So I got this working, thanks for the help! However one problem...while using this method, the audio output will start to go distorted/scratchy. I have to close Reaper, reopen, and its fine again. I haven't put a Rhyme or Reason to the issue yet. Any ideas?

See audio config here:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ak9z0JGLl2AVh_9UKzrs59zpzk373g

Last edited by SiKo; 07-04-2016 at 12:30 AM.
SiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
mayhemkrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
So I am not using the WASAPI method, I am using ASIO. So the issue is when I use Reaper for a while, stop recording, start recording, playback, etc, the audio will start to go scratchy/distorted. I did look into using the WASAPI method and when I select my Alesis Audio Interface as the Input, Reaper doesn't show the individual line ins for each output from the audio interface; all it shows is ReaRoute 1-16

I also just found this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64217 which is similar to what I am experiencing, so I guess there is no real fix. I am going to try and lower the samples from 512 to 128 and see what happens. What does that actually affect?

Last edited by mayhemkrew; 07-05-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
... I am using ASIO.
I also just found this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64217 which is similar to what I am experiencing, so I guess there is no real fix. I am going to try and lower the samples from 512 to 128 and see what happens. What does that actually affect?
Have a look at these links in general:

(o) https://www.native-instruments.com/e...io-processing/
(o) https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/supp...-for-daws.html
(o) www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 AM   #13
SiKo

Quote:
So I am not using the WASAPI method, I am using ASIO. So the issue is when I use Reaper for a while, stop recording, start recording, playback, etc, the audio will start to go scratchy/distorted. I did look into using the WASAPI method and when I select my Alesis Audio Interface as the Input, Reaper doesn't show the individual line ins for each output from the audio interface; all it shows is ReaRoute 1-16

Oh sorry, I posted the WASAPI method, because I faced similar problems with ASIO and found that WASAPI and Reaper are very stable together on W10.

[edit] And shame to know your audio card does not show properly via WASAPI. However, I would uninstall ReaRouteASIO if I were you... it's for routing between apps, not cards
Anyway, good luck finding the solution!

Last edited by SiKo; 07-08-2016 at 03:36 AM.
SiKo is offline   Reply With Quote