Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
ejacka
Human being with feelings

Default How Do I Setup a USB Microphone?

I am using Reaper 2.55 with WinXP Pro, I have an sE Electronics USB1000A USB microphone (plug & play, no driver). Does Reaper work with USB mics & if so how do I set up an audio track to record vocals?
ejacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
excitron

Like any other input. Your USB mic has it's own data processing hardware. Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for the mic (which may really only be to plug it in and let the OS automatically do the setup).

Once installed, and with the mic plugged in and active, start Reaper and under the OPTIONS tab, select PREFERENCES and then go to AUDIO/DEVICE. Click the arrow by the INPUT DEVICE setting and select your USB mic.

Create a track, arm it for recording, and have a go at it.

Have fun.
excitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
ejacka

That was the first thing I did, my M-Audio Delta Audio sound-card is the only thing that shows up under inputs. My Tapco Link USB interface shows up under AISO driver but no USB mic.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Maybe you have to select it as "preferred" or "default" device in Control Panel > Sounds first. Then it should be the active device when you set Reaper to "WDM" "Waveout" or "Directsound" (depending on the driver model the USB mic uses). It probably still won't show up as a selectable input then.

It won't work up when you have ASIO selected, USB mics generally don't come with ASIO drivers. Since they act like additional sound cards, it's a problem to use them in a DAW environment coexisting with other devices. Many DAWs can only use one device at a time and so does Reaper.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
ejacka

Yes it was the AISO driver, I changed Audio system to DirectSound or WaveOut & the USB mic appeared under Input Device. I thought that AISO was needed to avoid latency but no problems so far.