Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
fabrizio benedetti
Human being with feelings

Default "Apply track FX to item as new take": doesn't work with ReaInsert?

Hi all,

I am having a good time using an external multi-fx processor on my tracks and ReaInsert generally works quite good for me. I frequently need to freeze the items and move the external unit to other tracks, and I didn't find a way to do this comfortably. I currently use the rendering command: after selecting the track and the time region of the item, I render a stem in real-time then insert the rendering output and implode to takes. This because the "Apply track FX to item as new take" command seems not to work when one of the track FX is ReaInsert... I tried to check the "Limit apply FX/render stems to realtime" option but it doesn't help. Is it a known bug? Are there better (and faster) workarounds than the stem render?

Ciao,
Fabrizio
fabrizio benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
DBMusic

I don't think this is a bug...more just a limitation of design. Personally, if I want to render a track routed OTB I just create a new audio track, set it to Record, select the appropriate external input as my source, and record the track in real time.

Regards,

DB
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
JonnyGinese

Here is a little video.

What I'm doing:

1. Setting Record mode to OUTPUT, Stereo or Mono(might need to play with latency compensation or not since its Out booard Equipment)
2. Setting Monitoring to Monitor Media while recording(this is for the rendering process only.. switch it back/off when you are done.
3. Record Arm and Record on the track...
4. You will have the recording onto a new Take.

** the Record out function will record ALL FX on the track that are enabled. So after this is recorded you will want to bypass the FX Chain while listening to the "rendered" track.
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
fabrizio benedetti

I understand: even if I'm talking about a single track, using an external processor should be regarded as OTB, and recording should take place in some way. Jonny's solution looks great: it involves recording, it's fast, and leaves you with a new take... I am going to apply it the next time I need to freeze an external processor to am item! Thanks!

Ciao
Fabrizio
fabrizio benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
JonnyGinese

No Prob.. Have fun!
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote