Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
flmason
Human being with feelings

Default "Commercial Sheen"

Ok, these pics should illustrate the difference between pro and not mixes but in a visual way.

http://egotvonline.com/2011/06/01/blake-lively-pics/

"EGO TV Online", now what does that tell ya, LOL!
flmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
chrisharbin

Um, I don't get it

But here is a sheen that is a commercial success

time to bang some 7 gram rocks.

Please tell us how that post is not spam.....I honestly do not know
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
flmason

LOL!

Down in the WDYRSLA thread I've been in discussions about where "commercial sheen" comes from and how to achieve it sonically.

Of course this often leads to the "you can't polish a turd" line of reasoning.

However, in a visual parallel, using Liv Blakely on the cited page... you can see that it's the same girl in all the pictures... but in some she looks like "the chunky blonde down the street" and in others she looks like "Miss Super Hottie of the Universe"...

All the same girl... the difference? Studio Techniques.

The parallel to music is... seems a lot of it is *nothing but* turd polishing... heck guitar amp distortion is technically a turd from the engineering perspective, or at least it used to be, until amp manufacturers found out players wanted distortion and started building it in.

So's point is, you can take the same gal, and apply different treatments and get two totally different outcomes. Markedly so...

What made the difference? Tools and techniques.

Same should be possible with sound.

Granted, you'd have had to been following posts in other threads to piece all this together.

And yes, it was intended as humor to lighten things up a bit.

But not spam. I have no association with whatever web page that is. I just Googled Liv Blakely, found the page and said, "OK that illustrates my point".
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

I'd say they didn't polish a turd there, but took a fine looking girl and processed her into a plastic puppet

To me that girl looks a lot more attractive in the "chunky blonde down the street" pics than in the pics where the producers apparently used all available tools and techniques to fabricate what they think looks like "Miss Super Hottie of the Universe" but in fact has lost all personality the original had.

So if I am to draw parallels, I'd say it's "recognize when you have a good song and don't edit it to death".
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
JonnyGinese

Oh I though the purpose of this was to show that not all "Commercial professionals" do their job well...
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
chrisharbin

*approved as not spam*

chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
flmason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I'd say they didn't polish a turd there, but took a fine looking girl and processed her into a plastic puppet

To me that girl looks a lot more attractive in the "chunky blonde down the street" pics than in the pics where the producers apparently used all available tools and techniques to fabricate what they think looks like "Miss Super Hottie of the Universe" but in fact has lost all personality the original had.

So if I am to draw parallels, I'd say it's "recognize when you have a good song and don't edit it to death".
LOL! Good points, for sure. No doubt Photoshop has warped everyone's idea of "beauty" all to heck and back.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
optical

There may be more to this post than meets the eye

Some musical performances are at their best in the most natural form and processing only masks or filters the overwhelming effect of the unadulturated whole.. (don't even think about it!)

Still beautiful or still powerful, definitely more trendy, but maybe not having the same visceral effect as the original just left as it is ??????
optical is offline   Reply With Quote