Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
alex zonder
Human being with feelings

Default Must have free piano vsti

This one beats all the free ones so far imo:

http://yannleo.spaces.live.com/blog/...B45E!413.entry

Especially the Grand close, dark (first one in list).

See this thread as well: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
eepyikes

Word. I just gave it a spin. Best free one that I've heard/played and it tops some of the expensive ones. Not perfect, of course, but you're gonna pay some $$ to do better.
eepyikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
eepyikes

More thoughts:

The attack is a little bit muffled sometimes. But the sustain is clear and doesn't have that tinny fakiness that many sampled pianos have.

*addendum* it did manage to give me 2 BSOD's, citing my RME Fireface as the issue.

Last edited by eepyikes; 09-07-2007 at 07:35 PM.
eepyikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Good one! My feeling is that each downloadable piano, paid for or not, has its own particular qualities and that, once you eliminate the rubbish ones (which might actually have their place for particular purposes) then you're left with the kind of range of differences that you'd get when comparing real instruments. It's just very nice to be spoiled for choice!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Diogenes

Thanks Alex.

Always on the lookout for a piano here... even though I can't play one for crap. I downloaded Balthor's Grand a while back on a recommendation elsewhere. I didn't like it very well. Any of you guys tried it? Maybe it's just me.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
RokkD

Well, thanks, but I'm having a hell of a time downloading this thing...

...can't seem to concentrate for some reason while trying to type in the scrambled letters..

but I'll keep trying......yeah that's it, I'll just keep trying..

--
Old 09-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
alex zonder

The second link posted by the dev in that KVR thread is a direct download.

Strange thing is, he calls it a soundfont, but what I have is a complete VSTi with GUI etc. You guys got the same? I had it perform Chopin's first Ballade yesterday, quite impressive except for the fact that it wasn't me playing, but some chap called Midi. The low keys are stunning.

[img]http://img394.**************/img394/4264/yannleokx1.png[/img]

btw the same Yannleo released an electric pianos VSTi that might interest some as well:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190332

Electric pianos however give me the quivers.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
funkster1

It seems that the legal status of these VSTi's is quite questionable.
Not only had he used a warez'ed copy of SynthEit to create them, but also the samples from the Pianos seem to come from dubious sources.
If you're only using these for your personal pleasure, it may be OK to use them, but I wouldn't take the risk for anything commercial, or even put on sites like 'Soundclick' and others.

Just my .02 unqualified cents of course.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

That KvR thread starts with a discussion of a soundfont (which I've downloaded) that's quite unrelated to the standalone instruments (well, perhaps they come from the same stable).
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
It seems that the legal status of these VSTi's is quite questionable.
Not only had he used a warez'ed copy of SynthEit to create them, but also the samples from the Pianos seem to come from dubious sources.
If you're only using these for your personal pleasure, it may be OK to use them, but I wouldn't take the risk for anything commercial, or even put on sites like 'Soundclick' and others.

Just my .02 unqualified cents of course.

Cheers
Raphael

Is this a rumour or is there some evidence around to support the non-legal status as fact? Of course we would like to know.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

That was discussed on the KvR thread though I confess I kind of skimmed past it.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
alex zonder

Now I read the threads about the Yannleo stuff, still confusing. Weird thing, it is someone from TruePianos who writes:

"The Yannleo soundfont is quite nice yes. The perspective and tone/timbre of this soundfont is really interesting. I tried and analyzed the sound since I considered licensing the samples so that their sound could be used as a reference for a new TruePianos module. The bad thing is that the legal status of the samples turned out to be questionable after contacting the author.

So it's a bad idea to use the soundfont for any commercial recording. "

The source of the info would benefit from its truth, so much is clear. But what is 'questionable'? Why wouldn't he write 'illegal' if that's what he found out or concluded? So far it's pretty understandable that Truepianos is very unhappy with Yannleo's one, cause it sounds a lot better than their commercial VSTi (I tried the demo recently). So... I don't know what to make of this.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
funkster1

Regarding the Piano Soundfont, I can not tell more then what has been mentioned in the kvr thread.
However the Memo 06 synth, when loaded into Chainer largely displays the !!!!!Team Air!!!!! logo/reg.name/whatever.

Cheers
Raphael
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Samsung // 1 TB HDD/7200 RPM (plus a couple of ext. drives), Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, ROLAND JX-305, BEHRINGER BCR2000, ZeRO SL Mk II, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
alex zonder

anyway - I now understand I downloaded the vsti above (again, a really great virtual piano compared to MANY others) from this rapidshare link provided by koolkeys in one of those KVR threads:

http://rapidshare.com/files/52866793...-1GP1.rar.html

It contains only the "Grand Piano 1 (Close, dark)".
Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
J Kennedy

Alex,

Thanks for finding these pianos. Still tearing up SampleTank on your recommendation.

John K
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #16
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
The bad thing is that the legal status of the samples turned out to be questionable after contacting the author.
Didn't he say that the source of the piano samples was an instrument at his college (or whatever) and maybe he "stole" the sound of it without proper permission? Once can have a very complex discussion about "ownership" in this context - and one could extend it to the rights and wrongs of taking unauthorised impulses from concert halls - but maybe that's for another forum!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
alex zonder

here's the (chinese) dev Yannleo commenting on the situation:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192134
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
user1

This post appears to clear everything up, nice and legal:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...piano&start=15

?
user1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1 View Post
This post appears to clear everything up, nice and legal:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...piano&start=15

?
I was happy to read that (the Steinway story), and today I read this:

"Yann himself did not sample the piano nor he does know the exact source of the samples."
(by Roel de Witt from Truepianos)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...92134&start=30

?!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #20
steadyrev

Default soundfont piano!

Muchos gracias sp
Merci beacoup fr
Thank you en
Boonoonoonoos! ja

Great Sound thx for sharing
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
xackley

I download something called Yannleo_S111(Close).sfArk.exe which created Yannleo_S110(Close).sf2

But Alex Zonder is talking about a VSTi?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #22
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley View Post
I download something called Yannleo_S111(Close).sfArk.exe which created Yannleo_S110(Close).sf2

But Alex Zonder is talking about a VSTi?
yea that's what he did

The VSTi version (well made btw) can be downloaded by using the rapidshare link in one my posts above.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #23
koolkeys

Just to make it a bit clearer, I have spoken to the creator of the samples and also to Joel De Witt, and it does seem that the REAL source isn't that clear. I was under the impression that the original soundfont was sampled by him. But I don't even know that now. Yannleo himself doesn't even know the source of many of the things used.

As for SynthEdit being illegal, only one of his plugins was made in SynthEdit. The other one, the one pictured in this thread with the Dark Piano preset, was made with the free version of the Maize Sampler and exported as a VSTi. It has a great sound, but doesn't sound to me like the original soundfont. So he either changed it or it's different.

Don't know if that clears anything up, but it's the information I have.

On the other hand, there is a nice upright piano that will be available for free soon for free through my site, if anyone is interested. Five velocity layers, IIRC, as it wasn't sampled by me. If people want, I'll post the link soon. If not, I won't.

Cheers!

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
user1

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
As for SynthEdit being illegal, only one of his plugins was made in SynthEdit. The other one, the one pictured in this thread with the Dark Piano preset, was made with the free version of the Maize Sampler and exported as a VSTi. It has a great sound, but doesn't sound to me like the original soundfont. So he either changed it or it's different.
I thought Sythedit was free provided you didn't sell the VST? But I admit I checked the SE site and couldn't find instructions on use of unregistered versions.

Quote:
On the other hand, there is a nice upright piano that will be available for free soon for free through my site, if anyone is interested. Five velocity layers, IIRC, as it wasn't sampled by me. If people want, I'll post the link soon. If not, I won't.
I'll always say yes to that, although I'll be incommunicado for a month - hope the link works when I get back ...
user1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #25
koolkeys

Yeah, it will be a permanent sample set at the site. It's a Yamaha Upright piano with 5 velocity layers.

As for SynthEdit, you are correct. But I think he was using a cracked copy of the unlocked version where it doesn't require you to keep the SE stuff in the about box, and other things. I may be wrong though.

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Tim my

Hi Guys

I am a having a bit of trouble with this Plugin, i downloaded it but did not find any install file or anything so i just put the whole contents of the download into my Plugin Folder that reaper scans, I bypassed my previous Piano VST and inserted opened this one as a new FX on the Midi track, but all i am getting is an oscillating digital sound even if i havent pressed play?

Any Help, i would love to try this one out cos my previous Piano VST (Overture) sucks ass lol
Tim my is offline   Reply With Quote