Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
aledosim
Human being with feelings

Default What about tile window manager?

Hello all,
I'm wondering about Reaper and tile window manager. Is it behave well? Anyone have tried? I'm looking for less system resources as possible, good layout and some learning.
Thanks.
aledosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aledosim View Post
Hello all,
I'm wondering about Reaper and tile window manager. Is it behave well? Anyone have tried? I'm looking for less system resources as possible, good layout and some learning.
Thanks.

I'm using i3-gaps right now & love it. I find it so much faster to use & no messing about with multiple windows stacking on top of each other. It can take a while to get it set up because it's totally key commands driven but once you do it's lightening fast. I have all my most used apps mapped to commands & specific workspaces & mostly use ranger (a terminal based file browser) & terminals for updates & other system management.

It can take a bit of tweaking to get Reaper working well 100% OOTB. For instance while using Uh-e Ace the patch saving window came up as a tiled window rather than floating but getting the window name with the xprop command & setting that to always floating in the i3 config file sorted it. Also get used to moving plugin windows with mod key & drag (clicking anywhere on the plugin gui while holding the mod key) & closing them with a command (no title bars for closing).

If your using screensets with multiple monitors you have to make sure Reaper is in floating mode first (there's a command for that), although I suppose you could set something up in the config file to fix that. This may all be a bit of a pain to some but I love using i3 so much I'm willing to put up with it.

I tried qtile & thought it was great too but Reaper didn't work well at all with it.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
Tobbe

Looks very interesting. Been watching a bunch of videos.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
lilith93

I tried i3 some weeks ago, but went back to xfce. I never have more than 1-3/4 windows open at the same time and xfce offers a lot that has to be configured separately in i3 (mounting drives, etc.). xfce also has some tiling functionality which I rarely use, so for me it just makes no sense to go for a tiling manager.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I tried i3 some weeks ago, but went back to xfce. I never have more than 1-3/4 windows open at the same time and xfce offers a lot that has to be configured separately in i3 (mounting drives, etc.). xfce also has some tiling functionality which I rarely use, so for me it just makes no sense to go for a tiling manager.
XFCE's tiling is great for basic needs - I've got all of my Win + Numpad keys mapped to throw windows around the various corners. Currently trying to write a Bash script that will let me tile in thirds though, and boy is it complicated. :/
Old 06-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
XFCE's tiling is great for basic needs - I've got all of my Win + Numpad keys mapped to throw windows around the various corners. Currently trying to write a Bash script that will let me tile in thirds though, and boy is it complicated. :/
Could you post an example of the code that can manipulate window positions? I miss the way Windows programs remember their positions, and had to use margins to achieve a similar desktop to what I used in Windows.

During the week I run a stock ticker that I wrote in Windows and a calc on the left edge of my screen, so I used the Window Manager Tweaks in xfce to set a margin on the left to accommodate the ticker and calc. Almost everything else opens maximized but walled off from the ticker and calc.

In Windows I was able to just size things, close them and next time I opened them, they filled the same space as when closed. Very few apps in Linux seem to have that capability so having some shortcuts to slam windows to different corners could help.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Could you post an example of the code that can manipulate window positions? I miss the way Windows programs remember their positions, and had to use margins to achieve a similar desktop to what I used in Windows.
XFCE's Window Manager app has built-in shortcuts for "Tile window to the top", "Tile window to the bottom-right", etc. I've got my number pad (will never buy a laptop without one ) mapped so Win + 7 puts a window in the top left, etc.

It also has a bunch for moving windows to other workspaces, switching workspaces, etc.

The two things it DOESN'T have that I need are:
- Move window to the next monitor.
- Tile window to the right third of screen, the left two-thirds of the screen etc. On a 1920 screen I can comfortably fit two columns of code with the right third free for a terminal or my browser's dev tools, but I have to manually drag them there.

There are a couple of CLI tools that are really handy here - xdotool and wmctrl. I found this script earlier that solves the first of my issues, and I've been working on a script for the second but it gets really tricky trying to account for taskbars - mostly just because I'm godawful at Bash.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Lokasenna

As far as remembering positions, for the most part I haven't had any issues. Switching between one and two monitors jumbles them up, but the positions and sizes remain, and they mostly remember where they were when I reopen them.

I have it save my session whenever I reboot, too, and when the system comes back up pretty much everything is right where I left it, aside from having to move one or two to a different workspace.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
Glennbo

Thanks. I'll have to look more into these shortcuts. I've emulated some Windows keystrokes in the keyboard shortcuts area, like Ctrl-Shift-Esc brings up the task manager now.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:37 AM   #10
X2theL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aledosim View Post
Hello all,
Thanks.
I run i3 (no gaps!) on my Thinkpad X220 because it uses the little available screen space as efficiently as possible. I used to have this line in my config:

#for_window [class="REAPER"] floating enable

I don't know anymore why I commented it out but it seems Reaper now runs well even when not floated.

There's a lot to learn when you start out with i3 but if you don't mind that I think it's worth a try.

Recently, I tried Plasma 5 on my desktop but I aborted this experiment quickly because I found too many inconsistencies and stuff that just did not work as advertised.

XFCE is ok but i3 has been much more fun and it forces you to learn about Linux which can be frustrating at times but also very rewarding once you understand something new.
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
brainwreck

i3 is pretty nifty, but I ultimately didn't commit to using it longterm and went back to XFCE. I could see it being very useful for development, system admin, type stuff. But for a desktop, I like having individual windows.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2theL View Post
I run i3 (no gaps!) on my Thinkpad X220 because it uses the little available screen space as efficiently as possible. I used to have this line in my config:

#for_window [class="REAPER"] floating enable

I don't know anymore why I commented it out but it seems Reaper now runs well even when not floated.

There's a lot to learn when you start out with i3 but if you don't mind that I think it's worth a try.

Recently, I tried Plasma 5 on my desktop but I aborted this experiment quickly because I found too many inconsistencies and stuff that just did not work as advertised.

XFCE is ok but i3 has been much more fun and it forces you to learn about Linux which can be frustrating at times but also very rewarding once you understand something new.

I like the gaps for no other reason than I find them aesthetically pleasing.

You've actually listed a lot if reasons why I like i3, it does indeed make you learn linux more than just running a standard DE. I use the terminal a lot more than I would have.

Plus IMO it just looks great (especially with the gaps lol)

Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
s wave

i-3 is the bomb, but a little over my head... I wish I had the time for it. I use it on other things tho.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
zoso2

I'm using i3 with Reaper just fine without tweaking anything. Just run Reaper in its own workspace. Reaper will tile full screen and all the FX windows will float.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote