Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #81
KingPancake
Human being with feelings

Lightbulb

I'll be explaining some things about Linux as seemingly the guy asking the questions should have some clarifications about this naturally! I'll go one by one though:

Regarding DEs/WMs and their CPU/RAM usage: When you pick a Linux distribution, you expect it to have some sort of DE already installed by default or networking tools that let you download, configure and sometimes even compile the DE or WM of your own choosing. The reason why many people go and ask "When I tried xfce after GNOME3, it was a revelation!" can be due to a number of reasons.

If they feel is lighter, well, they are right. The difference between DEs comes down to the taste of one's person in particular, but the reason why some DEs feel "heavier" than others is due to the resources they need in order for them to function properly. In the case of Xfce, the reason why it feels lighter is because it does not needs GPU rendering, Hardware accelerated graphics or 3D rendering like GNOME does and so xfce can work completely fine even with software rendering alone. Among xfce in the DE crowd you get the even lighter LXDE and LXQt (the latter being actively developed and the former still having the occasional update) and the teensy-bit-heavier than xfce MATE DE.

However, all of those do not require hardware acceleration and can work with software rendering, which is why when someone uses them on say, older computers, they won't feel the weight of something like GNOME3 does due to those aforementioned causes. The distro implementation of a DE may help you in getting it running faster than ever if that distro aims for desktop usage (like say, Manjaro with its GNOME3 variant, or Solus) but they won't reduce the functionality or the weight the DE itself has, only give you a little helping boost here and there when needed (Which is usually not significant because again, it depends on how well the DE itself is handled by its upstream developers)

WMs are not DEs. When you use a DE like Xfce or Mate, you expect it to come with a File Manager, an audio player integrated, some other desktop tools integrated, etc. WMs do not come with any of those, they can focus or help you giving some graphical interfaces but at their core they are much simpler to maintain and develop than DEs because they do not rely on giving you the full kitchen sink. WMs are extremely customizable and you can "rice" them however you like because they are meant for those who like to tinker, read scripts or modify them to their core. Some WMs however (IceWM or Fluxbox) do help the end-user a little bit with their windows, effects and graphical management but overall won't hold your hand with additional tools or anything else, you still have to do your homework when maintaining those.

Regarding Security: Security is a process, the reason why many people feel Linux is secure is because indeed it is! however, the user must still be aware of how to operate their computers well and make the administrations tasks needed to perform them. Use root when doing tasks that a regular user can't do and then go back, however, I shall tell people not to be afraid of root, only that they should understand the consequences of what that much power entails.

Many Linux distributions also come with a package manager, repositories, options to add more repositories and if the user is willing they can also compile the source of a program into their machine in case the software they desire is not available in their repos. This greatly lessens the risk of any user who installs a Linux distribution, add to that: Linux kernel and updates rolling in for all distributions constantly + Patches for every imaginable kernel that it would be impossible to affect something + Monolithic design that allows the OS to be separated from its UI elements (unlike Windows) + Separation of the root and regular user clearly + Designed to handle multiuser setups from the get-go.

All of those above make it extremely unlikely to get infected on a Linux machine, you really need to go out of your way to be infected or have even one virus on Linux (Most of the viruses are written for the servers anyway, which is where Linux absolutely dominates, but desktop or embedded users need not to worry). In opposition to Windows which is...a joke regarding security to put it lightly.

Well, I hope I clarified something with this much info!
KingPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 AM   #82
SmajjL

Hey! Thanks for explaining!

Linux (REAPER) & everything has in a relative short time gone to simply ALSA also, and KDE Plasma a year ago or so, along with Discovery was buggy, on Ubuntu at least, was not that familear with Manjaro then.
Gameing side along with Steam Play/Proton & Co is just so, fffffinally! still not over it that it works, on my stuff at least, not even tried the linVST stuff and all that yet if I need that

Beeing a Windows user 100% until now and just-like-that, *BAM! - going Linux (not only trying/testing/curious) actually decided! as we speak, my main SSD is now cleared formated (celebration is in order!) and Linux is going to live there now and Manjaro KDE will be The One since it works on everything I need, today.. and KDE is atm at 0.78 GiB of mem... and KDE's ways & looks modern, tweakable anyway and KDE's options is great enough for me and personal taste thing along with that I like the KDE widgets and found one I was missing and, I am on a power PC that is used to Windows..

I have now distrohopped like a crazy Tarzan and tried stuff enough so I know what I would miss if I choose this or that and all that, just that the Linux scene is a taaaad different and I need to ask stuff or Google, i'm ready now! let's do this! *clap!*

Thanks again! there are surely more people like me out there that is reading also but maby shy or summit.. I don't have that issue, I ask.
And also thanks for the help Glennbo!

--
Now listen here Firefox.. don't make me about:config your ass and go layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 1.5 on you... ok, fine! *slap!*
Old 08-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #83
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
And also thanks for the help Glennbo!
You're quite welcome!

Quote:
Now listen here Firefox.. don't make me about:config your ass and go layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 1.5 on you... ok, fine! *slap!*
HA! That's one of the first things I do on every machine I setup.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #84
s wave

Like SmajjL said - YOOO HOOO its nice when you finally come to land on your 'flavor' I saw the future of art and Linux back in the early Mint days of CLems vision. That's when I knew overbloated OSs with the hood welded shut and booby trapped anti-troubleshooting conundrums were not for me. AND I could see and KNEW there was a path via linux (for waht I wanted to do) - I boarded the happy train... and never regretted it. BUT it does take that finding of kernel-DE-repository etc. to actually embody this wonderment. I hope you keep looking and poking and saying 'what if' - people here will help you find it... gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #85
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
BUT it does take that finding of kernel-DE-repository etc. to actually embody this wonderment
No it absolutely doesn't - a recent Ubuntu LTS distro will be fine. If you *want* to spend time customising and tweaking (rather than making music...) then that's fine - you have the option - and you can probably convince yourself its better as a result - but please, we need to get away from repeating the idea that you *have* to do this in order to use Linux (for audio). A lot of potential converts from other OS are dissuaded from even trying, because of this misconception...
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #86
SmajjL

Found a Glennbo-compatible civilian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE4SwkJ0Fys
And Fedora now belongs to IBM or what?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #87
SmajjL

Eum, LöL..

https://conf.qtcon.org/system/attach...f%3F1473018986

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnam...op_environment)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #88
Glennbo

With any OS, be it Windows, Linux, or whatever.

Don't install a bunch of stuff you know nothing about like little 3rd party *helper* tools that someone in a forum might suggest, and you prolly won't pick up any undesirable modules that are hiding in the background.

I run Firefox with NoScript, with strict blocking, use the hosts file from, http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm have cookies disabled except for sites like this one that I trust, and have it throw everything away every time it closes. I also run UFW on every machine in the house, and have zero shares.

Yeah, web pages look pretty funky and are missing lots of things that come from other places, but javascript and a rogue ad square is all it takes to acquire stuff like keyloggers and bitcoin mining from your browser.

I never install 3rd party stuff unless it comes from a company or person that I know and trust, or if it is in the distro's repository. If it is packaged up in an installer and comes from someone I know nothing about, I'll simply skip it and never have to wonder what all was installed all over my drive.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #89
SmajjL

Why why-why am I so drawn to Linux.. dammit..

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #90
Freeman

Default Win 7 to Linux

I just want to point out that trying Linux gets easier all the time. Just make sure you are using up to date info about what ever distro you use. I went with Pop OS because they are friendly to new hardware and I have a new computer. I also liked the fact that they had a separate ISO for Nvidia drivers so I was all set. I have a Behringer umc 204 hd interface and it was immediately recognized.I did not have to fight and disable other choices. Also, I liked the fact that for the install, there was no need to change bios settings. The only requirement was to disable fast start. Not to be confused with fast boot, fast start is changed inside of windows. The other thing I like is the dual boot method.There is no grub boot loader. I just use the bios boot select. I am not so thrilled with their support options,but that's just my issue. For someone running older hardware, I would probably look elsewhere. This distro is Ubuntu based some negatives or positives of Ubuntu would apply.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote