Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default Surge 1.6.2 VST in Linux

Hey everyone

I've been doing Wiki entries, bug testing and preset design for Surge the formerly commercial now open-source wavetable synth!

It's a really wonderful project, lots of great stuff coming up in the upcoming release. Some linux programmers JUST added an LV2 build yesterday. I think Surge is a very versatile synth and good companion to REAPER on any platform, but the linux version needs some work

We don't have many users doing bug reports in Linux, if anyone has time to check out the "nightly" builds and post some bug reports in the github, it would be very appreciated!
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/#downloads

We want to make the 1.6.2 release at the end of the month as awesome and stable as possible on all platforms. This is an overview of all the bugs I've noticed in REAPER and VST in general:
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1105
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 412
Default

Thanks for helping bring a better Surge into the future.
An LV2 version would be a great option.

Some basic utility to change the panel and text colors,
ala ichiro Toda's Synth1, would be excellent.
Thanks for creating .deb versions, very cool to get
up and running quickly!
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

nice, well I haven't done any of programming so none of those things aren't because of me, but yes! Lots of cool things happening. My understanding is, GUI code of Surge is spread out throughout lots of different sections of the code, so it's gonna be a while until the theme stuff can be customized.

The LV2 version is already up and running as of yesterday! It's already as stable as the VST versions as far as I have experienced.
You have to download the beta or (nightly build) there is a link on the website just under the main downloads. The nightly build has a crap ton of new improvements, such as ability to load Serum format Wavetables, alternate tunings and much much more:
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

The plan is to have all this stuff in the main build for the end of the month, so if you have a chance to check the nightly build for bugs please let me know here, or even better let everyone know on the github.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Funny you started this thread, I just started using it the other day. It's in the aur on Manjaro but there's a problem with gui scaling in Reaper. I found out on the github that scaling works with the vst3 version so I got it from the nightly builds & indeed it does scale/zoom correctly now.


It is a great synth with some very decent patches. I'm going to spend a bit of time learning it over the weekend, so I'll see what I can do about reporting bugs when I get a chance to spend a bit more time with it.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Just created my first patch in Surge & found it pretty intuitive to use so far. It's a very powerful & very fully featured synth utilizing subtractive, fm & wavetable synthesis. I'm a big fan of wavetable synthesis so of course my first patch had to include some heavy wavetable morphing.


I'm going to have a lot of fun with this synth & cant wait to try out some serum wavetables. I have Serum but it's a bit unstable gui-wise when running in reaper via linvst.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Awesome!
If you like wavetables...
I've made a pretty big collection of wavetables based on the VSCO open-source orchestral library for the new update, so that will be included soon as well!
You can try it out in it's current form by putting it in your user preset folder (surge will automatically figure out they are tables and put them in the wavetable menu)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjn1e6eh3t...-VSCO.zip?dl=0
I'll only have this link briefly as it's gonna be included in the new versions, but try them out!

Something to try:
wavetable oscillator in Surge can now open "one-shots" if the wav file is not tagged with loops, I have a couple included in that library, gonna add a couple more before I release it.

If you get a chance couple bugs I'm experiencing on Linux that I'm trying to see if anyone can reproduce on other systems:
- preset menu is very slow (when you open it and try and move around it's super laggy)
- sliders are a tad slow in VST version ESPECIALLY sliders which change graphical stuff (like morph in the wavetable) LV2 is better, but still slow on sliders which change oscillator or LFO graphics.
- there was a weird bug with storing/naming presets where you couldn't type unless you clicked in a certain area of the textbox. It only effected "openbox" window manager (which I was using through LXDE desktop envirtonment)

If you have a way to test these things on your system and let me know would really appreciate it!
thanks
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
Hey everyone

I've been doing Wiki entries, bug testing and preset design for Surge the formerly commercial now open-source wavetable synth!

It's a really wonderful project, lots of great stuff coming up in the upcoming release. Some linux programmers JUST added an LV2 build yesterday. I think Surge is a very versatile synth and good companion to REAPER on any platform, but the linux version needs some work

We don't have many users doing bug reports in Linux, if anyone has time to check out the "nightly" builds and post some bug reports in the github, it would be very appreciated!
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/#downloads

We want to make the 1.6.2 release at the end of the month as awesome and stable as possible on all platforms. This is an overview of all the bugs I've noticed in REAPER and VST in general:
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1105
Should I not be able to extract the VST .so file and drop it into my .vst folder?

I'm not a fan of installers that didn't come from my distro, and have done this before with other plugins that had .deb installers and it worked fine. REAPER doesn't see any new plugins when I do it with Surge.

Doing a clear cache and rescan in REAPER blows toward the end when I'm guessing it's trying to probe the .so file for Surge.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,728
Default

Since this has LV2, VST2, VST3, plus a bunch of presets (which need to go in the right location) I can understand the Deb package approach. There are also a couple dependencies it needs to resolve if they're not on the system. I forget what they were but they didn't look like they'd mess with anything. It's a relatively innocent Deb package.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Using REAPER for Linux
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Since this has LV2, VST2, VST3, plus a bunch of presets (which need to go in the right location) I can understand the Deb package approach. There are also a couple dependencies it needs to resolve if they're not on the system. I forget what they were but they didn't look like they'd mess with anything. It's a relatively innocent Deb package.
I saw the support files and it looks like they would have needed to go in /usr/lib and /usr/share. Not a big deal coz I have tons of other synths and almost never use any of them. Dexed is about the only one I do use because I can load my old hardware DX7 banks into it. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Default

Just gonna find an Ubuntu w KDE that is healthy and then I must/shall try this, wave support, huh?
I saw the news about this but somehow I did not think that this means anyone can continue on it and actually would, who-ho!
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Yea the community around it right now super exciting. It's mostly been one person doing coding and handful of other people doing little things.
Some linux people swooped in and made an LV2 this week! They have also been doing bug fixes for the linux version. So if you notice any bugs definitely post on the github...
or post here and I'll make an issue if you don't have time.

Re: the deb installer:
So you'd prefer having a download just for the vst/lv2/vst3 and then a download for the content?
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
Re: the deb installer:
So you'd prefer having a download just for the vst/lv2/vst3 and then a download for the content?
I'd try it out if it installed like that.

I prefer to be in control of things that are being copied to my SSD.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Just gonna find an Ubuntu w KDE that is healthy and then I must/shall try this, wave support, huh?
I saw the news about this but somehow I did not think that this means anyone can continue on it and actually would, who-ho!
If youíre using manjaro itís in the aur. Although Iíd advice using the vst3 version from the nightly build because the vst 2 version gui doesnít scale properly in reaper. So after installing from the aur just extract the vst3 .so to your .vst3 folder & it should work.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
Awesome!
If you like wavetables...
I've made a pretty big collection of wavetables based on the VSCO open-source orchestral library for the new update, so that will be included soon as well!
You can try it out in it's current form by putting it in your user preset folder (surge will automatically figure out they are tables and put them in the wavetable menu)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjn1e6eh3t...-VSCO.zip?dl=0
I'll only have this link briefly as it's gonna be included in the new versions, but try them out!

Something to try:
wavetable oscillator in Surge can now open "one-shots" if the wav file is not tagged with loops, I have a couple included in that library, gonna add a couple more before I release it.

If you get a chance couple bugs I'm experiencing on Linux that I'm trying to see if anyone can reproduce on other systems:
- preset menu is very slow (when you open it and try and move around it's super laggy)
- sliders are a tad slow in VST version ESPECIALLY sliders which change graphical stuff (like morph in the wavetable) LV2 is better, but still slow on sliders which change oscillator or LFO graphics.
- there was a weird bug with storing/naming presets where you couldn't type unless you clicked in a certain area of the textbox. It only effected "openbox" window manager (which I was using through LXDE desktop envirtonment)

If you have a way to test these things on your system and let me know would really appreciate it!
thanks
Iíll definitely try some of those wavetables ASAP thanks! I do find the fx menu a bit clunky to use, with sub menus appearing over the top of the main menu making it difficult to go past it to the next effect. Iíll see if I can reproduce those other bugs as soon as I get a chance.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
If you’re using manjaro it’s in the aur. Although I’d advice using the vst3 version from the nightly build because the vst 2 version gui doesn’t scale properly in reaper. So after installing from the aur just extract the vst3 .so to your .vst3 folder & it should work.
Hey Peevy

My first impression was actually about that because 100% is a tad small on 1440p
So i set it to run as native and then I tried the grow by 25% instead, seem to have kicked it/woke it up in the right direction, because after that 150% worked all of a sudden, hmm.

I'm giving Ubuntu a go now since I kinda agree that there should be no need to convert files, or the AUR thingie, KDE is staying though!

Thanks for the tip/report!
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Awesome!
Just an FYI if you are downloading nightlies

For the bugs I mentioned:
The folks working on the Linux bugs are killing it right now there has been like 3 new builds with fixes in the last 24 hours, so keep that in mind! Still getting some bugs but things are already looking much better than 2 days ago.

If you do notice anything (especially if it's not something that been reported), now is a good time to post bug reports since there is lots of interest and people are already digging into the code to get the linux VST/LV2 stable for the 1.6.2 release.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

For the manual installation thing.
Surge isn't really portable yet on any platform (there is a request issue for that so it might happen down the line) So it would be kinda messy to support that for the developers.

Portability is definitely not in the pipeline for the next stable release, and it would be the kinda thing that would have to be added in a stable release I think. If you want more control over the install I would suggest building from source or unpacking the .deb file.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Default

I will try the unpacking thing next time so i don't have permission issues with my own VST folder, somthing like that, and glennbo is more sensitive than me on this, thats all.
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Default

Gotcha!

Terminal on Lib, sudo chown SmajjL vst

__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,728
Default

There were a couple additional packages (dependencies) that were required when I installed the deb package. I doubt the .so plugin extracted from the deb package will work without those. If you want to extract the plugin from the deb, look at this info to figure out what dependencies it requires and check if you have them on your system. (Other than the VST2 SDK, which you won't require since you're not building the plugin.)

I'd originally tried to run the .so from the deb and reaper wouldn't recognize it. So it'll probably happen to you too if you don't have the dependencies.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Using REAPER for Linux
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Default

Roger that! thank for doing that! learning Linux stuff every day here
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
biopsin
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: oslo
Posts: 40
Default master/installer_linux/make_deb.sh

Depends: libcairo2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libx11-6, libxcb-cursor0, libxcb-util1, libxcb-xkb1, libxcb1, libxkbcommon-x11-0, libxkbcommon0, fonts-lato, xdg-utils, zenity
__________________
Voidlinux_glibc / gcc_9.2 / libSwell_GDK2 / Reaper_5.9.8.7 / RME_Hammerfall
biopsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #23
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

Looks interesting Wasn't there a Surge some months ago? Is this another one or just a new version?
I remember that the old one was not working with Debian 9, this version seems to work, at least I didn't read that it's not working with Debian 9.

So in Debian 9 I have to ...

Code:
su
and with super user rights:

Code:
dpkg -i Surge-linux-x64-1.6.1.1.deb
?
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE

Last edited by lilith93; 09-07-2019 at 03:49 PM.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

yeah it's been out for a while!
Some contributors on the project have been really whipping the Linux version into shape lately!
1.6.2 should be released by the end of the month... I've been doing lots of bug reports for Linux because I want the Linux version to be as good as the other platforms if possible, and there just isn't very many users reporting on Linux so far.

Just wanna reiterate: things have been getting fixed every single day lately so now is a REALLY good time to post bug reports if you notice stuff. Some people are really getting into the Linux code so its fresh on their minds.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #25
Tobbe
Human being with feelings
 
Tobbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Backe, Jšmtland, Sweden
Posts: 381
Default

Hi,

I tried to resize but it doesn't work. For me the default size is to small. Very hard to see everything clearly.



Haven't played around much but it seems to be really good.

If I found more bugs, I report here.

Linux distro in my signature
__________________
OS: Ubuntu Studio, Reaper For Linux (64Bit) and native linux-vst plugins (16GB RAM) LSP-Suite, Drumgizmo, TpL-Plugins, LinuxSampler/Fantasia, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #26
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Hi,

I tried to resize but it doesn't work. For me the default size is to small. Very hard to see everything clearly.

Haven't played around much but it seems to be really good.

If I found more bugs, I report here.

Linux distro in my signature

Is that the vst2 version? There have been problems reported with the vst2 version & zooming/scaling in Reaper. The vst3 version works though, you can get it from the nightly builds. Surge-website
, the link is at the bottom of the page.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #27
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

I installed it with gdebi in Debian 9. When I look in the /usr/lib/vst folder all plugins are installed under "root" except of surge, which is installed under 1001



Did something went wrong here?

It's also not found with e.g. Reaper.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #28
Tobbe
Human being with feelings
 
Tobbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Backe, Jšmtland, Sweden
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Is that the vst2 version? There have been problems reported with the vst2 version & zooming/scaling in Reaper. The vst3 version works though, you can get it from the nightly builds. Surge-website
, the link is at the bottom of the page.
It' vst version. I dont use lv2...yet.

Didn't know about vst3 version. Added path in Reaper and now zooming is working ok, but with some graphic issues just when you resize.
__________________
OS: Ubuntu Studio, Reaper For Linux (64Bit) and native linux-vst plugins (16GB RAM) LSP-Suite, Drumgizmo, TpL-Plugins, LinuxSampler/Fantasia, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22.

Last edited by Tobbe; 09-08-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #29
Tobbe
Human being with feelings
 
Tobbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Backe, Jšmtland, Sweden
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I installed it with gdebi in Debian 9. When I look in the /usr/lib/vst folder all plugins are installed under "root" except of surge, which is installed under 1001



Did something went wrong here?

It's also not found with e.g. Reaper.
Same here, but I got both vst and vst3 working. Have you done a rescan in Reaper? My path looks like this:

/home/tobbe/.vst;/home/tobbe/.vst3;/usr/lib/vst/;/usr/lib/vst3/
__________________
OS: Ubuntu Studio, Reaper For Linux (64Bit) and native linux-vst plugins (16GB RAM) LSP-Suite, Drumgizmo, TpL-Plugins, LinuxSampler/Fantasia, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #30
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Same here, but I got both vst and vst3 working. Have you done a rescan in Reaper? My path looks like this:

/home/tobbe/.vst;/home/tobbe/.vst3;/usr/lib/vst/;/usr/lib/vst3/
Yes, rescan didn't work. I deinstalled it again as the 1001 looked strange to me. If there's any solution I'll give it another try.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #31
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Yes, rescan didn't work. I deinstalled it again as the 1001 looked strange to me. If there's any solution I'll give it another try.

If you install the vst to /home/your-home-folder/.vst/ folder, make sure it's added to the list in reapers plugin path & rescan it should work & also pickup the patches destination folder that was installed previously.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
If you install the vst to /home/your-home-folder/.vst/ folder, make sure it's added to the list in reapers plugin path & rescan it should work & also pickup the patches destination folder that was installed previously.
I used the gdebi installer and couldn't decide where to install the VST.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I used the gdebi installer and couldn't decide where to install the VST.

You can just use an archive manager & extract whatever is in there to wherever you want. I'd suggest extracting to surge.so to your .vst folder.


Although even after all that you may have problems zooming/scaling the gui. If that's the case just use the vst3 version from the nightly builds, I explain how to do this in a previous post.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #34
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
You can just use an archive manager & extract whatever is in there to wherever you want. I'd suggest extracting to surge.so to your .vst folder.


Although even after all that you may have problems zooming/scaling the gui. If that's the case just use the vst3 version from the nightly builds, I explain how to do this in a previous post.
In fact I tried this first, but it didn't work. Is only the so file needed? I'll try it again.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #35
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
It' vst version. I dont use lv2...yet.

Didn't know about vst3 version. Added path in Reaper and now zooming is working ok, but with some graphic issues just when you resize.
If you just set the larger size you'd like as the as a default and use it from then on as the new size (from the bottom of the zoom menu) does it load ok, and seem graphically stable?
If you think there is a bug in there that should be investigated, just post a lil more detail here and I'll bring it to the github:
- DAW (obviously thats REAPER in this case, but if you use any other DAWS and notice differences of behaviour that is definitely notable!)
- flavour of linux & desktop environment/window manager (I've noticed some bugs with graphics so far that change drastically from different window managers)
- the version of the plugin that is specifically giving problems. (is it vst2 only or both?)
- can you get it working correctly with a workaround? Can the exact stage of operation the bug is occurring be isolated?
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #36
Tobbe
Human being with feelings
 
Tobbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Backe, Jšmtland, Sweden
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
If you just set the larger size you'd like as the as a default and use it from then on as the new size (from the bottom of the zoom menu) does it load ok, and seem graphically stable?
If you think there is a bug in there that should be investigated, just post a lil more detail here and I'll bring it to the github:
- DAW (obviously thats REAPER in this case, but if you use any other DAWS and notice differences of behaviour that is definitely notable!)
- flavour of linux & desktop environment/window manager (I've noticed some bugs with graphics so far that change drastically from different window managers)
- the version of the plugin that is specifically giving problems. (is it vst2 only or both?)
- can you get it working correctly with a workaround? Can the exact stage of operation the bug is occurring be isolated?



Track 1 is VST3 and it almost hides Menu buttom and chops of the yellow/orange section (I'm colorblind so I don't see if it is yellow or orange).

Track 2 is VST2 and I can't resize it, but it doesn't hide Menu or the other thing in yellow section.

Both is on default size.

I loaded up Ardour and VST2 is working perfect as LV2 version. Can resize without any problems. VST3 doesn't popup, maybe it doesn't support VST3 yet.

I had this version two days ago: Surge-linux-x64-NIGHTLY-2019-09-07-3df2128
And installed this one yesterday: Surge-linux-x64-NIGHTLY-2019-09-08-15701c8 and that is the current installed version

Here's some info on my computer (inxi -Fxz):
Code:
System:    Host: homestudio Kernel: 5.0.0-27-lowlatency x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: LENOVO product: AIO-520S-23IKU v: Lenovo Product serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: SKYBAY v: 31900006 WIN 1801936976310 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: O34KT23A 
           date: 03/14/2019 
Battery:   Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 charge: 100% status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-7200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 21696 
           Speed: 708 MHz min/max: 400/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 692 2: 700 3: 686 4: 700 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Device-2: Texas Instruments PCM2902 Audio Codec type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 1-1:2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.0.0-27-lowlatency 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 769.45 GiB used: 24.58 GiB (3.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SD8SB8U256G1001 size: 238.47 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: ST9250410AS size: 232.89 GiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Hitachi model: HTS723232A7A364 size: 298.09 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 40.27 GiB used: 9.19 GiB (22.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: /boot size: 1.91 GiB used: 155.9 MiB (8.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-3: /home size: 191.25 GiB used: 15.24 GiB (8.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 212 Uptime: 5m Memory: 15.58 GiB used: 857.5 MiB (5.4%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 
           Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.27
Linux Mint XFCE 19.01 with Compositor disabled. Had some issues about ghost lines when I scroll pages with white background, looks almost as the screen has a crack. James Peters adviced me to disable Compositor and it worked. No more screen line ghosts.

Haven't found a workaround. I try to use it anyway. I can zoom in, that works great.
__________________
OS: Ubuntu Studio, Reaper For Linux (64Bit) and native linux-vst plugins (16GB RAM) LSP-Suite, Drumgizmo, TpL-Plugins, LinuxSampler/Fantasia, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #37
lilith93
Human being with feelings
 
lilith93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Karlsruhe
Posts: 245
Default

Not working for me. I downloaded the nightly builds, extracted the files and copied surge.so (VST) into my /home/.../.vst folder. Rescan -> nothing. ?
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93

Debian - Stretch / XFCE
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #38
Tobbe
Human being with feelings
 
Tobbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Backe, Jšmtland, Sweden
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Not working for me. I downloaded the nightly builds, extracted the files and copied surge.so (VST) into my /home/.../.vst folder. Rescan -> nothing. ?
I tried to install deb file but was missing some libraries. Dont remember what they was called but I install them and installed deb file again, and it worked.

Double click on deb and see what your missing and do a search for it via terminal. Hope this help.
__________________
OS: Ubuntu Studio, Reaper For Linux (64Bit) and native linux-vst plugins (16GB RAM) LSP-Suite, Drumgizmo, TpL-Plugins, LinuxSampler/Fantasia, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #39
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Ok @tobbe I'll post that bug report in Github!
I have actually noticed a clipping issue like that with graphics as well.

Yeah VST3 is only really working in REAPER so far, it's unclear why is my understanding. That one has been hard to diagnose. My understanding from what all the developers have been saying is that supporting VST3 is a huge pain in Linux (and to develop in general)

It's telling that LV2 is already more stable than VST2 or VST3 and it's only existed for like 5 days. ��

EDIT:
VST2 resizing is an issue with VST standard on linux, not really fixable unfortunately.
Fix for VST3 bug you described is coming soon!

Last edited by J Riley Hill; 09-09-2019 at 05:34 PM.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #40
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings
 
J Riley Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Not working for me. I downloaded the nightly builds, extracted the files and copied surge.so (VST) into my /home/.../.vst folder. Rescan -> nothing. ?
The deb does install some dependencies (can't think what they are of hand), and the deb also puts a user folder with presets and a config file for Surge in "~/Documents/" (which MIGHT be required)
Sorry I can't be more help for this one. If you'd like to install it I'm sure someone on the Github could help, people are very responsive with this project.

Is the deb file not an option for you?
Am I right in saying that a fair number of people here would prefer a bash installer script that could be edited and customized instead of a deb file? I can bring that to the team as a request.

EDIT:
Ok I made feature request for a bash installer script for Surge, one of the developers gave some insight into why it hasn't been done yet: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1143

Its not something that would be included in the next release but definitely a possibility for the future.
This IS an open-source project so keep in mind two things:
- a lot of what gets done is either because it's what the people doing it want to do, or it seems like what is the easiest best way for a thing to get done OR it seems obvious that lots of people want it so it's important.
- the project is always open to new contributors so if writing a bash install script / script to compile the necessary files in a tar.gz OR if doing something like what Paul is suggesting (giving people tools and info to make the deb extraction and installing process simpler) is something you'd be interested in doing please talk a look.
I'd add that the community of this project is really good, it's a fun open-source project to be involved with

Last edited by J Riley Hill; 09-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.