Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
jcjr
Human being with feelings

Default Are. there "deluxe audio display" scripts?

I did a half-fast search and didn't find anything, but maybe such already exists?

First, I'm not expert on reaper's features.

The reaper audio wave display is fine for sequencing. Last year when I was writing a couple of jsfx and testing some filters, the reaper audio wave display did not seem "detailed and anti-aliased enough" for close examination of audio at the sample level, especially at high frequencies. Maybe there are recent reaper updates or settings I didn't find to make it better.

It isn't a lot of trouble to process/render a file and open in cool edit pro, which has pretty good bandlimited graphic interpolation when zoomed in up to multiple pixels per sample, full screen wave display. But CEP is quite old, and though its display is quite good, it still has some display artifacts especially at high frequencies.

I would like a big graphic display sufficiently artifact-free so that it isn't a guessing game whether I'm seeing artifacts in my audio, or am I just seeing artifacts in the graphic rendering?

I'm fairly familiar with jsfx but only lightly read about scripting and never tried it. Maybe a "fancy full screen precision audio wave window" is too ambitious to do with a script? Or maybe it is quite feasible?

Would want to at least have these features--
_ As accurate possible bandlimited graphic interpolation even if it requires enough computation to verge on "too sluggish to use".

This is really the main feature that would make it worth writing for me. The rest of the features would only be tedious reinventing the wheel usability features to avoid going nuts using a kludgy window.

_ Or if really excellent interpolation is too dang slow for "always on", maybe a "fairly good but fast" normal grqphic interpolation, and a button which would fire a painfully slow but deadly accurate one shot rendering of the current window view.

_ Up to full screen window.

_ Zoom window time display from full track down to multiple pixels per sample.

_ Easy way to fairly accurately judge the level of a sample or region in dB and sample value. Both with vertical graph markings for eyeballing, and a "value follows cursor" textbox, and stats on a hilited region.

Maybe other things. Maybe too ambitious or inappropriate for a script needing too much interactivity? Dunno much about it.

I've writtin audio display windows in applications many times in the past, but never needed to make one really accurate. Speed was more important than accuracy.

I'm retired and too burned out to throw long hours writing even a simple standalone app with the above features, Though I could harvest and re-purpose old code for a lot of it.

Was just wondering if that sounds like a nightmare science project in a script?
jcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
bezusheist

Reaper has an interpolated waveform view now, but I don't think you can get exact sample values from the sample points.
It's not quite as good as iZotope, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
jcjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
Reaper has an interpolated waveform view now, but I don't think you can get exact sample values from the sample points.
It's not quite as good as iZotope, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was...
Thanks. Were enhancements made in the last year or so? Tis maybe been a year or maybe less since I closely looked at the audio drawing behavior. For ordinary music work a display doesn't need to be very fancy to get the job done fine.
jcjr is offline   Reply With Quote