Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Sarasir
Human being with feelings

Default Right click drag items move & Lock Items in Time

Hi Cockos developers,

I would like to put a request for two to my workflow absolutely crucial options:
That is first to be able to move items in all direction with right mouse click and drag.
Second, the ability to lock items in time with two clicks (right click and sub menue 'lock in time' or select and click on a toolbar button named 'Lock in time' or so).

As some of you might guess I'm coming from Cool Edit / Audition which I've been using for many years. Unfortunately Adobe's been killing the original concept more and more and Audition 1.5 which is still my favorite work horse does not support ASIO and from Windows 7 on (or possibly Vista which I never used) the WDM drivers showed to be multi track wise not in perfect sync anymore.

So through a colleaque I came to Reaper which promised to be fully configurable and so being able to keep up with every bodies workflow.

I think Reaper is an incredible software and was surprised that these options are not available yet. Also have read a bit through this forum and know that above requests have already been posted but for what ever reason where denied or even ignored.

So, please would you developers be so kind and I also dare to say professional to take these requests into serious consideration.

(I'm an well educated Musician and also Technician - worked with Tektronix for about 10 years but also produced quite some LPs/CDs that are still selling, some since 45 years.)

I have also briefly read through you scripting pages and could dive into that but as my programming times - structured BASIC and then C - are quite some years past I do not feel really that it would be quite sane especially if considering my age together with the sheer number of musical and technical projects waiting on my table at the moment.

To be honest I'm in the shit right now. Eventually I have to switch to another software and I thought Reaper could do the job...

So please HELP!

(Doing DAW work for more than 20 years on a daily basis - mostly wav, very little MIDI - I know exactly what I'm doing and also how to do it fast and efficient. Perhaps I can give you some further ideas in return for your effort.)

Respect, greets and best wishes,

Sarasir
Sarasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
nofish

Lock items in time:

There's also a mouse modifier to move items (only) vertically.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Sarasir

Default Thanks so far, will check that...

I'm pretty new to Reaper and hopefully that will do.
Will post my findings later.

Appreciate any help.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Sarasir

Default Strange philosophy

Sorry, just checked it out but it's hard for me to get the idea.

This mode of Locking is all items or nothing.
Imagine you have a project of hundred items over 30 tracks or so and you need to work on some detail, aligning some samples or whatever....

That means for to be able to do that you have to unlock ALL items.

I can see, of course as long as you do not touch anything it won't move.
But still it would give me a terrible feeling, locking and unlocking on a global basis.

To be able to lock one or more items individually in time is indispensable in my view.

Last edited by Sarasir; 06-26-2017 at 01:16 AM.