Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 02-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
JamesO512
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won't render my video -- it just hangs

I just started using the video aspects of Reaper to try to combine some video from my phone of me playing an instrument with audio I record directly with my audio interface. But for some reason, when I try to render it, Reaper just hangs with the spinning circle thing, until I click on something, and then Windows says Reaper isn't responding.

Here's what I am doing. I create a new project, drag out a midi loop to play a drum sample library. I record some chords from my guitar on another track, adding some effects. I add maybe a synth track. Then I record myself playing bass, also recording video from my phone. Then I drag that video file into Reaper, creating a new track. I align that. I then add the video processor to the fx on the video track, setting it for "item fades affect video". Then I set some simple fades in and out. At this point, I try to render using the format "video (ffmpeg/labav encoder)" also selecting "QT/MOV/MP4" in the next 'format' drop-down. I leave everything else alone and try to render and it just hangs.

Once, when it did this, I rendered just the audio and put that into a new project and then added the video to that new project and rendered and it worked! It seems that something I am putting in my project is causing a problem. In the original project, I even tried just bouncing all the audio tracks and disabling the FX, and that didn't help.

I would appreciate any help! Thank you!
JamesO512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
georgemickel

Hi James0512,

I am not a wiz at the video side of Reaper but recently changed my video playback to VLC. And it works.

I hope this helps you.

G
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
JamesO512

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemickel View Post
Hi James0512,

I am not a wiz at the video side of Reaper but recently changed my video playback to VLC. And it works.

I hope this helps you.

G
Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I actually just narrowed down the problem. On one of my tracks, I had D16's Godfazer in the FX, but disabled, with the box unchecked. I've found that if I remove Godfazer, and change nothing else, the project renders fine. Even if that plugin is a problem, why would it even matter if it is disabled? Also, if I leave it in and just bounce that track and disable FX entirely for that track, it still won't render. Just hangs. Weird. I guess I'll check to see if there is an update for Godfazer or something, or if I want to use it, just bounce the track and then completely remove it.

Last edited by JamesO512; 02-13-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
JamesO512

Yep, I confirmed in another project that it won't render the video if Godfazer is present in the project somewhere, even if it is disabled. Weird.

Last edited by JamesO512; 02-13-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
georgemickel

Great, as in I'm glad you found the issue..maybe someone with experience can help.
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote