Human being with feelings

Hi!

Unfortunately i get the same error in 6.11

This time with no stretched midi item and Multitool version = 5.51
reapero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #602
juliansader

Could you please upload a minimal project so that I can try to replicate the bug? (If you upload a project file, it doesn't need to contain any confidential info -- it only needs the problematic item and enough MIDI events to replicate the problem.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #603
reapero

I cant reproduce it on a minimal project. Anyway, i had to move on. Doesnt happen on an empty project with 1 instance of Kontakt, for example.

Anyway, if i can replicate it again i´ll post it here.

Thanks Julian!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #604
Crumbfort

Hi there!

I'm experiencing some strange behavior with "js_Mouse editing - Stretch and Compress" lately. Was working perfectly on High Sierra but I recently updated to Mojave and now the midi editor turns black (from ruler to bottom of CC lanes) when I use the script. The blue line and green line are the only things that show up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

(Love your scripts, by the way! Use them all the time)
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #605
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbfort View Post
I'm experiencing some strange behavior with "js_Mouse editing - Stretch and Compress" lately. Was working perfectly on High Sierra but I recently updated to Mojave and now the midi editor turns black (from ruler to bottom of CC lanes) when I use the script. The blue line and green line are the only things that show up.
This is a known bug in REAPER that has already been fixed in the pre-releases. It only happens when Apple's new Metal graphics is enabled, so to work around it temporarily, go to REAPER's Preferences -> General -> Advanced UI/system tweaks and disable Metal.

(BTW, the Stretch/Compress, Warp, Arch/Tilt scripts have all been combined into the new, much fancier Multi Tool script, so I will soon delete or deprecate the older scripts.)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #606
Crumbfort

Oh awesome, thanks so much!

Really looking forward to trying out the new Multi Tool script!
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #607
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
(BTW, the Stretch/Compress, Warp, Arch/Tilt scripts have all been combined into the new, much fancier Multi Tool script, so I will soon delete or deprecate the older scripts.)
I mainly use the multi tool but there are situations the single scripts are faster for a certain task. It would be a pity to see them go!
Old 06-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #608
swiiscompos

Thank you so much for those scripts, I realize there are some I hadn't used yet (for some reason they were not appearing in the action list even though Reapack said they were installed.)

I have a problem with your Draw Ramp script: it starts well, but whatever I do with the mouse seems to affect Reaper directly rather than going through the script. So for example if I move the mousewheel it zooms in and out, if I right click it opens the contextual menu, etc. Do you know what could be causing that?

EDIT: For some reason it works well in the inline Editor. The problem only happens in the full MIDI editor.

Last edited by swiiscompos; 06-17-2020 at 05:02 AM.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #609
juliansader

This is strange... Could you please check the following and let me know:

* Which OS and which versions of REAPER and the ReaScriptAPI extension are you using?

* Do my other MIDI scripts such as the Multi Tool have the same behavior?

* In the Action lists of the inline editor and MIDI editor, open the file in the IDE and check their versions and whether they are the same.

* Are any other scripts running that may be interfering? (Area(51)'s alpha versions did interfere with my MIDI scripts, if Area(51) wasn't terminated before running my scripts.)

* Is the problematic MIDI editor docked?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #610
swiiscompos

Quote:
* In the Action lists of the inline editor and MIDI editor, open the file in the IDE and check their versions and whether they are the same.
It's fixed! You put me on the right track: actually I had set the shortcut for the new script in the "Main" section of the Action List, while same shortcut was used for the old script in the MIDI Editor section.

It also looks like the Inline Editor can get the shortcuts from the Main section, which got me more confused.

Anyway, it works and it's absolutely fantastic, a small thank you should be coming your way

Last edited by swiiscompos; 06-17-2020 at 01:49 PM.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #611
daniellumertz

woah didn't know it was possible to use multitools in inline mode!!!

Made this scripts to use more easily the trick I described some posts back, ( to apply multitool to a envelope )

I'm new in this thing of scripts so possible this may need some future fixes.

1) execute this action to create a MIDI and to convert the envelopes points in time selection to midi (need to have an envelope and a track selected)
Code:
function CreateMIDIandSelect()

time_sel_start, time_sel_end = reaper.GetSet_LoopTimeRange2( 0, false, false, 0, 0, false ) --get info about time sel
      if time_sel_start ~= time_sel_end then --if there is time sel do

-- select envelope under mouse?

--envunder = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_SEL_ENV_MOUSE")
      --reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(envunder, 0 , 0)

sel_track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack( 0, 0 ) -- get selected track
      new_item = reaper.CreateNewMIDIItemInProj( sel_track, time_sel_start, time_sel_end, false ) -- create a MIDI item
      reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40289, 0 , 0)
      reaper.SetMediaItemSelected(new_item,true)
      reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40847, 0 , 0)-- inline editor
      reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40109, 0 , 0) -- MIDI editor
      reaper.UpdateArrange()

----Env to cc
      local midi_editor = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive()
      local command_id = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_ME_ENV_CURVE_TO_CC_CLEAR")
      reaper.MIDIEditor_OnCommand(midi_editor, command_id)
      --

end 
end

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
CreateMIDIandSelect()
reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Script: Envelopes to CC", -1)
2) Use multitool or whatever modifications you want to do in the CC envelope.

3) Execute this action to convert the cc envelope back to Envelope ( execute this action with focus on the main section, also be sure to have an envelope selected)

Code:
function CCtoEnvelopes()

-- select envelope under mouse?

reaper.Main_OnCommand( 40089, 0 )
    --reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40109, 0 , 0) -- MIDI editor   -- it doesnt seems to need
    local midi_editor = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive()
    local command_id = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_ME_CC_TO_ENV_LINEAR")
    reaper.MIDIEditor_OnCommand(midi_editor, command_id)
end

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
CCtoEnvelopes()
reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Script: CC to Envelope", -1)
PS: If you select a big amount of time the first action can take a while, dont recommend....
Edit: If u want to the script select the envelope under mouse to make it easier just remove the "-- " in the two lines after -- select envelope under mouse? Needs the SWS beta.
Code:

Last edited by daniellumertz; 06-17-2020 at 06:30 PM.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #612
reapero

Great! So...how long until this becomes native, like AS?
Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 AM   #613
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
Great! So...how long until this becomes native, like AS?
This would be ideal for me. :-) Having to run a script it time is an extra step.

Still very impressive work though!
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #614
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
This would be ideal for me. :-) Having to run a script it time is an extra step.

Still very impressive work though!
I wouldn't expect that anytime, soon. Plus, having it implemented natively wouldn't necessarily mean an extra step isn't needed anymore.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #615
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
What is the extra step? Perhaps I can remove or improve it.

A major advantage of scripts is that bugs can easily be fixed and features can easily be customized, whereas in native actions, you are dependent on the devs.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:22 AM   #616
mozart999uk

Quote:
What is the extra step? Perhaps I can remove or improve it.

A major advantage of scripts is that bugs can easily be fixed and features can easily be customized, whereas in native actions, you are dependent on the devs.
Hi Julian. So in Cubase, you just highlight a selection of notes and then the handles to modify slope / compression etc automatically appear. You don't have to start a script running or anything like that.....
Old 06-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #617
juliansader

If these editing functions are ever added natively, it will most likely be as mouse modifier functions -- in which case they will require at least one keystroke, similar to the scripts.

Making handles appear automatically is actually straightforward to script: a Multi-tool-like script simply needs to run in the background. Unfortunately, however, there is one snag: Figuring out the layout of the MIDI editor is a lengthy task that requires loading and parsing the entire "state chunk" of the MIDI editor's active take. This cannot feasibly be done in each defer cycle if the take contains a large number of MIDI events.

In order to implement your wish, this FR has to be implemented first: ReaScript API: Get MIDI editor on-screen layout via MIDIEditor_GetSetting_Int().
Old 06-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #618
mozart999uk

Thanks for explaining. :-) Sound like it's going to be a bit of a challenge

Still I'll add my voice to the FR. :-)
Old 06-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #619
_Stevie_

There's one method I could think of how this could work:

monitoring the undo history for the term "selected" and then automatically trigger the multi tool.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #620
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
There's one method I could think of how this could work:

monitoring the undo history for the term "selected" and then automatically trigger the multi tool.
Checking the "selected" part is doable -- the MIDI Inspector does that already -- but checking changes in CC lane layout/visibility and zoom/scroll is slow.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #621
_Stevie_

Yeah true, due to the MIDI chunk.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #622
juliansader

Hmmm... I've just managed to write a function that determines the CC lane layout by
1) checking the position of each lane's CC name child window to find the bottom of each lane;
2) to find the top lane divider, reading pixel colors upwards from the topmost CC name till it finds the piano keyboard.

Quite an ugly hack, but it works in less than a 1/1000 of a second, so promises to be usable.

That still leaves scroll and zoom, unfortunately. EDIT: And timebase.

EDIT 2: And scripts can check very fast if the mouse cursor is over a lane divider by checking whether the cursor is an "I-beam".
Old 06-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #623
_Stevie_

Wow that sounds promissing and was very unexpected. Keep us posted!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #624
reapero

Just came here to say having the multitool enabled by default when selecting stuff would be awesome! I am worried though..would we miss any of the existing options when selecting data without multitool? Like simple drag up/down (also available with shift control + mousewheel) for example.

Another dream feature ( its really hard to think on how to improve this!) would be to have the handles colors picked up from the available colors Reaper is using on the current theme. Thinking about cubase, I think the visual integration is a bit more tidy there (although you can do half of the stuff than with the .multitool).

Keeping an eye on the auto enable progress Julian! I voted on the FR already
Old 06-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #625
mozart999uk

I have to say, that this side of the reaper community really impresses me. The speed that people reply and the willingness to find solutions.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #626
juliansader

Quote:
Just came here to say having the multitool enabled by default when selecting stuff would be awesome! I am worried though..would we miss any of the existing options when selecting data without multitool? Like simple drag up/down (also available with shift control + mousewheel) for example.
If it is enabled by default, the zone interface will need to be different, so that REAPER's native editing functions are still available. For example, handles will only appear on the lane divider, and only when the mouse crosses the divider.

Quote:
Another dream feature ( its really hard to think on how to improve this!) would be to have the handles colors picked up from the available colors Reaper is using on the current theme. Thinking about cubase, I think the visual integration is a bit more tidy there (although you can do half of the stuff than with the .multitool).
It would be difficult for a script to decide by itself what the most appropriate color scheme would be for every theme, so instead, it allows the user to customize the colors: If you right-click on a zone, you get an option to customize the zone color and zone size.

Last edited by juliansader; 06-23-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #627
reapero

Understood! Thanks for your time Julian
Old 06-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #628
metronomme

Hi, I love these tools, thanks Julian for the hard work and for sharing!

I found what I think it might be a bug, or maybe just something I'm not getting right...
The "js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua" is the only one in the tools from this thread that appears in the main window, and as such I was excited to think that I could use it to easily create envelope ramps.. However, it seems not to be working in the main window at all!

Regardless of where I click, the script keeps complaining. This is the text that shows in the error message:

Code:
MainOK: false
MainRetval: ...eam Scripts\MIDI Editor\js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp.lua: 1473: attempt to perform a bitwise operation on a nil value (local 'automationItemsOptions')
Because of the error message, I assumed that it would be of use in automation items only, but it keeps complaining with the same error.

Is this intended to be use in the main window at all?

Thanks for clarifying!
metronomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #629
juliansader

Thank you for the bug report. The script is indeed supposed to work in the main window -- in automation items, take envelopes, as well as old-school track automation. Please try the new version 4.52 that I just uploaded, and let me know if anything else isn't working perfectly.

Last edited by juliansader; 06-30-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #630
metronomme

Amazing!! Fixed! You are a genius
Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #631
_Stevie_

@Julian, are there plans to adopt the arrange mode for the Multi-Tool?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #632
juliansader

There are indeed -- please check out the new v6.00 of the Multi Tool.

EDIT: v6.02 has some bug fixes.

Last edited by juliansader; 07-02-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #633
Vagelis

Quote:
You are the best! Finally we have multi tool for arrange!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #634
_Stevie_

Quote:

EDIT: v6.02 has some bug fixes.
DUDE, THIS IS INANE. I wouldn't have expected that in such a short time.
Donation incoming...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #635
reapero

Juliansander, making Reaper great again.

Works on take envelopes as well...wicked! i hope this is not a dream and it will be there tomorrow morning when i turn on the computer.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #636
daniellumertz

wooooow juliansanders this is greatttt thank you so much for that

Last edited by daniellumertz; 07-02-2020 at 02:07 PM.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #637
Vagelis

Quote:
Works on take envelopes as well...wicked!
And with AIs, wicked x2!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:29 AM   #638
metronomme

@Julian, I added a little UI feedback to the Draw Ramp script so the user would see that some input is expected.
It could be also applied to all the other scripts, but since most of them change the mouse (or even the Multi Tool provides a great visual cue of where to click!!), then I thought it wouldn't be that necessary.

I am new at scripting in Reaper and didn't make any of the code, I actually copied from a post by Lokasenna helping someone else in another thread, and adapted to my needs... Anyway, I created a helper script called showUIMessage.lua and imported it into your Draw Ramp.lua file, and then called into the main() just before the line reaper.atexit(AtExit) like this:

Code:
showUIMessage("Hoover the mouse over an envelope \nsegment in order to draw a ramp", "Draw Ramp", 300, 50)
reaper.atexit(AtExit)

showUIMessage.lua is below:

Code:
function showUIMessage(sMessage, sTitle, iWidth, iHeight)

local msg_title = sTitle
local msg_str = sMessage
local wnd_w, wnd_h = iWidth, iHeight

-- Get the screen size
local __, __, scr_w, scr_h = reaper.my_getViewport(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1)

-- Window background
gfx.clear = reaper.ColorToNative(255,255,255)

-- Open the window
--          Name    w       h   dock    x                   y
gfx.init(msg_title, wnd_w, wnd_h, 0, (scr_w - wnd_w) *2 /3,100)

gfx.setfont(1, "Arial", 16)

-- Black
gfx.set(0, 0, 0, 1)

-- Center the text
local str_w, str_h = gfx.measurestr(msg_str)
local txt_x, txt_y = (gfx.w - str_w) / 2, (gfx.h - str_h) / 2

local function Main()
    -- Center the text
    gfx.x, gfx.y = txt_x, txt_y
    gfx.drawstr(msg_str)
end

Main()

end
The script was imported using a strange and a bit convoluted way which apparently is the accepted solution:

Code:
local info = debug.getinfo(1,'S');
script_path = info.source:match[[^@?(.*[\/])[^\/]-$]]
dofile(script_path .. "metro_showUIMessage.lua")
But maybe there is a better way of doing this? I don't know. Anyway, I'm happy to make a pull request, or feel free to add this to your main code if you want!

And as always, thanks for your amazing work.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #639
AJYoung

OH MY GOD. This is it. This is exactly what I've wanted for an automation tool. You're insane.

Thank you
AJYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #640
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronomme View Post
But maybe there is a better way of doing this? I don't know. Anyway, I'm happy to make a pull request, or feel free to add this to your main code if you want!
Thanks for the suggestion. This is the great advantage of scripts over native functions: any user can customize scripts.

I can implement the message as a little tooltip that moves along with the mouse, and that pops up if the mouse is outside an envelope lane when the script starts.