Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default audio interface "shutting down" after several minutes (Scarlett 2i4)

Hi all! Weird behavior with one of my studio systems. It's running the latest Reaper-- Windows 7, 64-bit. This is the only time I have ever experienced anything like this.

Say I have a Reaper project open.. I let it sit to take a break, maybe grab some food, take a walk.

Come back, can't play the project. Interface is "shut down" or "locked up"... the USB light is still on, and everything is connected, so I then have to go into Preferences, the Audio Interface section, and just click "OK". Then the playhead moves when I press play.

I don't have the option checked, for "Close...." in the Audio section. I always remove all tickmarks, there.

Power settings-- I disabled (and always disable) "USB Selective Suspend".

I have no idea why this keeps happening. It's like clockwork. Any idea? Thank you!!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hi all! Weird behavior with one of my studio systems. It's running the latest Reaper-- Windows 7, 64-bit. This is the only time I have ever experienced anything like this.

Say I have a Reaper project open.. I let it sit to take a break, maybe grab some food, take a walk.

Come back, can't play the project. Interface is "shut down" or "locked up"... the USB light is still on, and everything is connected, so I then have to go into Preferences, the Audio Interface section, and just click "OK". Then the playhead moves when I press play.

I don't have the option checked, for "Close...." in the Audio section. I always remove all tickmarks, there.

I have no idea why this keeps happening. It's like clockwork. Any idea? Thank you!!
Ya know, I really love the Focusrite stuff. But my 18i20 will be the last Focusrite piece I buy because of their drivers. I have had problems like you in the past, and installing a older driver was usually the fix.

If you have already gone through the Focusrite setup guide for Windows 10. Then I would contact their online support. They always are super fast and will help you out. They will give you a different driver to try if they think that is the problem. Hit them up on online chat right now, they are currently live.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
serr

Quote:

A different audio using app is sending a sample rate request to the audio system for a different sample rate. Perhaps your OS audio is currently connected to the same output and set differently than your Reaper project?

That's what to look for.
That you can send a new request from Reaper (that's what you're accomplishing by selecting your interface again) strongly suggests this is what's happening.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Ya know, I really love the Focusrite stuff. But my 18i20 will be the last Focusrite piece I buy because of their drivers. I have had problems like you in the past, and installing a older driver was usually the fix.

If you have already gone through the Focusrite setup guide for Windows 10. Then I would contact their online support. They always are super fast and will help you out. They will give you a different driver to try if they think that is the problem. Hit them up on online chat right now, they are currently live.
Agree 100%. Newer drivers are trash. Always "robot effect" with newer drivers... speaking, streaming (Zoom, etc)... nope. Have a 1st Gen 18i20. Works great with Mixcontrol 1.8. Have no intention on installing ANYTHING new for them.

Driver 2.5.1 usually stable (for the Scarlett 2i4). But I cannot understand why it's just shutting down.

Old drivers are the way, with Focusrite. And you're right. It's trash. Once this 18i20 goes, I'm sticking with Motu. My M4 is the best audio interface I have ever owned. And their 8-channel stuff is legit as hell.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
A different audio using app is sending a sample rate request to the audio system for a different sample rate. Perhaps your OS audio is currently connected to the same output and set differently than your Reaper project?

That's what to look for.
That you can send a new request from Reaper (that's what you're accomplishing by selecting your interface again) strongly suggests this is what's happening.
Is that why? Weird. That's totally possible... I think the sample rate is the same, though... but that does make total sense. Hope having the sample rate match will be the fix. I always have everything set to 44.1 and 24-bit. Maybe there's a mismatch somewhere... hmm
Old 06-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Is that why? Weird. That's totally possible... I think the sample rate is the same, though... but that does make total sense. Hope having the sample rate match will be the fix. I always have everything set to 44.1 and 24-bit. Maybe there's a mismatch somewhere... hmm
The transport not responding is a telltale sign of the connected audio interface getting a different request or getting disconnected some way. Sometimes two or more audio using apps (eg. internet browser, media player, OS alert sounds, etc) lock up the connected audio system even if they are set to the same sample rate.

You can usually play with it and find patterns. Every now and then if I open Firefox with Reaper open, I'll lose audio on one of the other until I poke it. Hence the advice to turn everything else off before making important recordings or before having clients looking over your shoulder!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
Dr Bob

Really check the Windows audio settings. It sometimes reverts to 48kHz.

I know you are Win7, but over the last couple of years we have seen Windows 10 updates do this quite regularly.

If you have not disabled all your other audio devices, then this is possible.

Do check ALL your USB power settings via device manager, you may have missed one.

But, I agree with Serr, the symptoms smell of an audio device changing the audio rate.

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote