Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #1
dimbow
Human being with feelings

Default Plug in bounce test - Amplitube 3, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq

I posted about what I class as a problem yesterday, but this is possibly more conclusive.
Do any of you fancy trying recording with one or all of these plugs, bouncing the audio, and then comparing the two (the plug in vs the wet audio bounce) to see if they phase cancel?
If it matched my setup, they won’t.
A good alternative way to test is to simply render the same passage twice.
What will be left on a phase reverse side by side is elements of these plug ins.
So each time you bounce a song with these guys, remember, one bounce might sound slightly better or worse than the last! I guess due to Addictive Drums round robin samples, and pianoteq and amplitube having some degree of randomisation to the sound..
Try it! Share what you find?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
richie43

I just answered on your other thread. They will never cancel unless the plugins use absolutely zero modulation of any sort.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
azslow3

When some years ago I have noticed that (the effect can be drastic, f.e. with extremely slow LFO inside the plug-in), I have thought that is a bug in particular plug-in.

All scientific projects use a concept of reproducible random generators. That means even in case something is "random", if you start the program again it will generate exactly the same sequence of these "random" numbers, and so the result will be also exactly the same (till you change initial seed).

So, plug-ins COULD use project time + fixed seeds for random generators to make processed audio reproducible. But it seems like most plug-in developers was not aware about that concept... In fact I have failed to find a single plug-in which use it
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Drum samplers like AD use random round robin playback for most of their articulations, so you don't get the dreaded machine gun effect. It is entirely possible that this round robin playback is completely different on each and every bounce.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
dimbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Drum samplers like AD use random round robin playback for most of their articulations, so you don't get the dreaded machine gun effect. It is entirely possible that this round robin playback is completely different on each and every bounce.
Yes absolutely that. Add drums didn’t surprise me, nor did pianoteq. Amplitube and Kontakt did! Kontakt just had a basic reverb on, which also seems to have non-linear stuff happening

Last edited by dimbow; 08-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.
dimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Yeah since the default reverb is algorithmic, it's highly probably that it's in some places random a bit.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote