Old 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default "Comment" action step

I'd really like some way of leaving myself comments/notes along the way in creating complex actions.

How do you guys currently do it?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I guess the closest thing is the "prompt to continue" action, but if you just want to test that it's working correctly, don't check the "consolidate actions" option. Then you can at least step back through each individual action from the undo history.

There's probably some function of script to print text; I see X-Raym has one to "display script infos in console." Maybe that will help.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I guess the closest thing is the "prompt to continue" action, but if you just want to test that it's working correctly, don't check the "consolidate actions" option. Then you can at least step back through each individual action from the undo history.

There's probably some function of script to print text; I see X-Raym has one to "display script infos in console." Maybe that will help.
Thats a good one - prompt to continue - I never knew that was there.

I still like to leave myself notes in scripts/actions to remind myself why I do certain things at certain places. But I don't see a way to do that with the current setup. I'd have to be able to insert a comment and change its name or add to its text name or something.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Yea that seems to be something more inherent to script language. I made an FR for generating OSD but it got no traction. I think it would be really nice to be able to make text appear onscreen when performing certain actions.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea that seems to be something more inherent to script language. I made an FR for generating OSD but it got no traction. I think it would be really nice to be able to make text appear onscreen when performing certain actions.
That would be cool, but I mean even more basic like any other coding or even Applescript or Filemaker comments:

(*just setting x to the universal number*)
set x to 42

-- or this kind of comment
set y to 43
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
foxAsteria

It really should be possible with script. Maybe I will make a script request for it. Somehow there is no generic script yet to print custom text on the screen, but given that this is very often the first element to learning any scripting language, I would think it would be the simplest thing...