Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
digniddy
Human being with feelings

Default mono to stereo?

This is my first attempt at recording anything. I seemed to have recorded most tracks in mono and need them to be in stereo. is there a way this can be done?

"I'm a first time repeat offender"
digniddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Xenakios

There are ways to fake it but it's not going to sound like real stereo recordings. Be more careful next to time to record from a stereo input of your audio interface.

edit : That is, if you actually tried to record from a stereo microphone or microphone pair. Getting sounds recorded with mono microphones to sound like stereo is a different matter, as explained by the replies below.

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Lokasenna

What exactly do you mean by "I need the tracks to be in stereo"?

If you want a stereo picture of, say, the drum kit, then you're stuck having to re-record it.

If you just want a mono instrument (guitar or vocal) to be wider there are all sorts of tricks with chorus, a short delay on one side, or panning the instrument left and a 100% wet reverb right.

Stereo literally just means "one side is different from the other" - anything you do to one side without doing to the other, or doing the opposite, will create width. However, some methods of doing so will screw up the way the two sides mix together and make the instrument disappear.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
RDBOIS
Banned

Most people record most tracks in mono. This is normal.

The need calls for stereo recording when, say for example, the song is going to feature a lead piano part or the acoustic guitar.

There is the illusion of stereo -- and I fell for that a while back when using Audacity -- and all my tracks were displayed as L-R (stereo tracks). But it was an illusion because the audio was really just mono with the same thing on the L and R.

Many times the stereo of a song comes from PANNING mono tracks left and right. The final result is a stereo image.

You can transform a mono track with some plugins is a few ways (delaying a signal to the L or R - with or without pitch change - pingping, using reverb, etc.) but need to be careful not to wash out the mix.

Some also retrack an instrument with a few minor changes and then put one on the L and one on the R to create a subtle stereo effect (electric guitars for example).

What do you seek? One instrument featured in stereo or a the final stereo image of a song - or both?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
digniddy

When I uploaded my songs for cd production, they messaged me back telling me most of the songs were in mono while parts of others were in stereo. Then asking if I could reload the stereo versions. Would duplicating the tracks and panning them separately work? Or would a bus track need to be assigned? When rendered they are in stereo mode as well. I haven't been able to hear a difference playing it back in my headphones or home stereo.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by digniddy View Post
Would duplicating the tracks and panning them separately work?
Mere duplication and panning isn't going to do anything useful. You could try duplication, delaying the other track a bit and then panning the tracks, but that technique has its own problems.

Note that just having 2 channels in the audio files you sent to the CD plant does not mean the mixes are actually stereo. It sounds like you have mostly left everything panned in the middle (which is really just mono) and the CD duplication facility noticed that. If the material sounds fine to you, then just tell the CD duplication facility it sounds as intended. Otherwise you will need to start mixing again.

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-14-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
citizenkeith

Quote:
When I uploaded my songs for cd production, they messaged me back telling me most of the songs were in mono while parts of others were in stereo. Then asking if I could reload the stereo versions. Would duplicating the tracks and panning them separately work? Or would a bus track need to be assigned? When rendered they are in stereo mode as well. I haven't been able to hear a difference playing it back in my headphones or home stereo.

Let’s take a step back. How were these songs recorded? What instruments did you record, what kind of microphones.... what was tracked? Did you pan instruments in mixdown, or did you leave everything centered?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
digniddy

All songs were recorded through a 16channel Mackie onyx 1640.
Instruments used and mics associated are:
Bass: direct in from amp
acoustic guitar: sm57
keys: direct in from amp
electric guitars: sm57
lead vocals: beta58
backing vocals: condenser and beta58 depending on the song
drums: a few different types of instrument mics, kick mic, and snare/tom mic (borrowed ones)
hand percussion: condenser and sm57

left everything centered in the mix down. the master track is set to stereo as is when I render the files.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
left everything centered in the mix down. the master track is set to stereo as is when I render the files.
So what you have ended up with is a mono mix. (The "stereo" setting in the master track and in the render dialog really means the material is handled through 2 channels, it doesn't automatically stereo'ify things for you.)
Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
G-Sun

Quote:
If your mix is mono, then you send them a stereo-file with with equal audio Left and Right.
And if you get asked about stereo, you tell them your mix is mono.

A lot of good songs are made in mono -but, that's a long time ago

Tips: Load a couple of favorite songs by your favorite artists into Reaper, then flip mono on masterbus on/off, and hear the difference.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
digniddy

thanks for all the info dudes and or dudettes. the cd production company engineer asked that I just pan certain tracks to a personal preference percentage to the left and right to give it the stereo sound he was used to hearing from recordings now a days. I have a lot to learn and willing to try. peace
Old 06-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
citizenkeith

Quote:

Well there you go. As others have noted, it's a mono mix (each channel exactly the same).

Quote:
thanks for all the info dudes and or dudettes. the cd production company engineer asked that I just pan certain tracks to a personal preference percentage to the left and right to give it the stereo sound he was used to hearing from recordings now a days. I have a lot to learn and willing to try. peace
That's totally up to you. It's rare these days, but there's nothing wrong with mono. If you like it, tell the production engineer to deal with it.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
serr

It sounds like "stereo" is a mystery...
This isn't something that tags alone in the background that you 'enable' with a switch. You literally move the pan knob to pan the mono sources to one or the other speakers. Or put it in the middle for both.

Then there can be mix elements like ambience (reverb and reflections) that can be panned independently of the source instruments for 3D effect. Movement, depth, endless things you can do.

Now, you may have been unaware of that and made a simple mono mix, but there isn't anything wrong with that if it sounds good to you. What might be wrong though is making a quick reaction and trying some things that are new to you in reaction to some CD pressing shop commenting that your mix is mono!

So pause and be careful!
You would need to remix your songs with purpose. There's no 'switch' that turns tracks into stereo. It's all how you mix them.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote