Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
nofish
Human being with feelings

Default v6.28+dev0429 - April 29 2021

v6.28+dev0429 - April 29 2021

* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
* Includes feature branch: custom metadata columns in Media Explorer
* Includes feature branch: razor envelope editing
* Includes feature branch: EEL2 x86_64/SSE
* Includes feature branch: VST3 bridging
* Includes feature branch: ReaSurroundPan
* Includes feature branch: media item lanes
+ MIDI editor: add custom note order/visiblity mode (ctrl+drag note key in named notes view)
+ MIDI editor: import/export of note names includes custom-view ordering information if set
+ Media explorer: fix re-sorting randomized file list after running action to set file as favorite [p=2437642]
+ Notation editor: fix key snapping on first beat of local key signature change [t=221385]
+ Razor edit: fix media item display after pasting razor edit area and zooming [t=252759]
+ Razor edit: skip hidden envelope lanes when marquee-creating razor edit areas with "move envelope points with razor edits" disabled
+ Spectral edits: fix issue with playback starting after item loop [t=252747]
+ Spectral edits: improve performance with large numbers of spectral edits
# Razor edit: display tooltip when editing envelopes

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Nice, thank you!

First thoughts:
- could it maybe auto-scroll when dragging to upper/lower boundary?

- I can drag a note row below (0), intended?

- When having reordered note rows, switching to Piano roll view and back to named notes view, reordering seems lost, isn't that a bit dangerous perhaps (risk of losing the reordering when not being careful...)?
Old 04-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add custom note order/visiblity mode (ctrl+drag note key in named notes view)

+ MIDI editor: import/export of note names includes custom-view ordering information if set
Thanks for these! I'm not at the computer right now, but I'll take a close look at the custom note order thing...

And thanks, particularly, for the fix! I had noticed it but didn't get to report it...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Phazma

Quote:
EDIT:
Wow I have just found out that this does not only move names but actually allows to re-order the triggers themselves along with the names :O That's even way better than I thought! Of course my previously written suggestions don't apply in this case but I will leave them below to not cause confusion with disappearing posts.

----------------

Neat addition I usually don't use the drum map mode because I (and maybe others too) find it easier to play the right keys when I see the named keyboard on screen.

So would you consider supporting this also in piano roll mode?

And related to this maybe give an option to remove the "C2" "C3" "C4" etc markings so they don't interfere with note names?

(if feeling fancy maybe you also might want to add a mode which labels all keys instead of just the C octaves but that would be more of a separate FR than related to this pre-release).

Last edited by Phazma; 04-29-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
Trogdor

Quote:

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
This is exciting for me if this is implemented well. Would be so much nicer for mapping drums. Some drum software is such a pain in the ass to remap so that the order of the drums make sense for programming. When it comes to programming drums, I really don't care about the notes, It would be nice to change the out note to correspond to the map setup in the drum program.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:

- I can drag a note row below (0), intended?
Why not? You have same number of notes all the time, but the order is different. Makes sense?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
vitalker

Quote:
# Razor edit: display tooltip when editing envelopes
Looks like it works only for negative shifting.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Why not? You have same number of notes all the time, but the order is different. Makes sense?
Ah right, so we can have e.g. also this, makes sense, thanks.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Looks like it works only for negative shifting.
For a regular edit (not tilt), what gets displayed is the change in the middle of the razor edit area.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
For a regular edit (not tilt), what gets displayed is the change in the middle of the razor edit area.
Yes, sorry. For one selected envelope it works as expected.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
JamesPeters

Quote:
AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I just did a bunch of remapping for some drum VSTs because this feature didn't exist!!!!

Thanks for this.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Vagelis

+ Razor edit: skip hidden envelope lanes when marquee-creating razor edit areas with "move envelope points with razor edits" disabled

Thanks for considering,even though i don’t get any different results unless i’m doing something wrong, when i paste with or without the action on, i still see the hidden envelopes.

It would be very nice if we had an option to disable the hidden envelopes even with the action on , so we could move or paste envelopes on media too without moving the hidden envelopes. Also please consider to create selections separately on media and envelope lanes when the move points with re is on. This would allow us to work separately with envelopes on media and envelope lanes.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #13
Meo-Ada Mespotine

There are so many feature-branches currently in development, it can only mean, we are closing in to Reaper 7, right?

In regards of MIDI editor note reordering, what does this feature exactly?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
denmla

Theese 2 still not working for Shift modifier while (at the same time) working for Ctrl modifier:

Any hope?
denmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #15
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
There are so many feature-branches currently in development, it can only mean, we are closing in to Reaper 7, right?

not before we will have a dedicated per track routings in the "routing matrix" window
where you can quickly connect effects in parallel and see the whole picture of the effects routings + modulators and everything
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
bFooz

Quote:
+ Notation editor: fix key snapping on first beat of local key signature change [t=221385]
Works well so far. Thanks!
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #17
nofish

Quote:
What it does is seen in my gif in 2nd post, here one typical use case:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....321#post387321
Old 04-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #18
JamesPeters

Quote:
No, they're specifically adding a lot of new features as a slap in the face to people who said "why should I renew my license for Version 6 when you suddenly didn't add a bunch of new features from 5.99 to 6.00?"

Quote:
Consider what a MIDI drum map normally looks like. Look up GM MIDI drum mapping as one example, and compare that to what EZdrummer (etc.) use. If all a person uses is GM drums, "stock" MIDI note order might be ok. With anything additional: to add more kit piece articulations (hihat open variations, snare rim/edge/center, etc.) you don't have room in adjacent MIDI notes for those articulations; they need to be further away from the default "basic" articulations. When programming or editing the drums, to change articulations, you need to scroll up and down to see the various articulations for each kit piece. It's really messy.

As a workaround, a person can use a JS plugin that re-maps the MIDI notes, but this has its own limits/frustrations.

Re-ordering the notes in the MIDI editor is something that's been part of Cubase as long as I can remember, and something I missed in Reaper.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #19
mabian

This version totally hangs on loading my monitoring FX.

It's cool that now after shutting it down and restarting it there's a new dialog box with the option to load the monitoring fx chain offline.

Here's a dump saved after restarting with offline monitoring FX chain and while trying to bring RealPhones (1.6) back online:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mwt...ew?usp=sharing

Windows 10 Pro x64 version.

In the meanwhile, I'll update RealPhones to the brand new 1.7 and check what happens.

I hope that helps,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Consider what a MIDI drum map normally looks like. Look up GM MIDI drum mapping as one example, and compare that to what EZdrummer (etc.) use. If all a person uses is GM drums, "stock" MIDI note order might be ok. With anything additional: to add more kit piece articulations (hihat open variations, snare rim/edge/center, etc.) you don't have room in adjacent MIDI notes for those articulations; they need to be further away from the default "basic" articulations. When programming or editing the drums, to change articulations, you need to scroll up and down to see the various articulations for each kit piece. It's really messy.

As a workaround, a person can use a JS plugin that re-maps the MIDI notes, but this has its own limits/frustrations.

Re-ordering the notes in the MIDI editor is something that's been part of Cubase as long as I can remember, and something I missed in Reaper.
Tell me about it. I didn't want to go to Cubase just to do drum programming. I prefer to do it all on the grid. Having everything together by moving them in a drag/drop fashion and saving them is a godsend in workflow. Otherwise you are stuck using the sometimes crappy drum mapping alterations of other software which are not intuitive like BFD3 for instance. I had to cut and paste and move everything around.Then after all that is done have to rename everything in the Reaper drum map. Huge PITA.

At least with this (though I have not tried it yet)I should be able to just move the notes(drums) where I want them that make sense for me (snares together/hi-hats together/etc.) Then in theory I should have to change the drum map of BFD or any drum program at all and I can just rename them in Reaper.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #21
JamesPeters

It works ok for me so far. I had to find how to do it, and how to save it. But no problems at all. Re-ordering is so much faster than even creating custom mapping in a JS too.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
vitalker

Quote:

Maybe it is a step toward articulation maps? We lost it and now we'll discover it again.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #23
mccrabney

cool.

if i re-order notes, then hide unused/unnamed note rows, and finally run the action "View: Show all note rows," it resets the note order to default. i'd love to be able to recall the changed order.

----

i'm not sure how this new re-order feature should function with "open all MIDI in project" enabled. right now, re-ordered note rows persist across tracks. it doesn't feel right to have an RS5K track with a bunch of re-organized notes, close the editor, and then open a MIDI item on a bass vsti track to see the notes in non-chromatic order.

Last edited by mccrabney; 04-29-2021 at 02:17 PM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #24
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
This version totally hangs on loading my monitoring FX.

It's cool that now after shutting it down and restarting it there's a new dialog box with the option to load the monitoring fx chain offline.

Here's a dump saved after restarting with offline monitoring FX chain and while trying to bring RealPhones (1.6) back online:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mwt...ew?usp=sharing

Windows 10 Pro x64 version.

In the meanwhile, I'll update RealPhones to the brand new 1.7 and check what happens.

I hope that helps,
Mario
Same with RealPhones 1.7...

EDIT: the VST2 plugin loads ok. The issue only happens with the VST3 version.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #25
EvilDragon

Quote:
- could it maybe auto-scroll when dragging to upper/lower boundary?
This is an absolute must have for this sort of workflow, otherwise it is just painful. Don't include this feature if you don't want to make it auto-scroll...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #26
EvilDragon

Also, I would like to point out again that the Alt focuses menu bar while mousewheeling situation is not sorted out completely (or at all, apparently).

I have my mousewheel assigned to "View: Scroll vertically (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)", and Alt+mousewheel to "View: Zoom vertically (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)".

When using my Alt+mousewheel assignment, on Alt key up after I've done the wheelie, it still focuses the menu bar. It shouldn't, in this scenario.

Also, let's say I remove my Alt+mousewheel assignment, in this case if just doing regular mousewheel to scroll vertically, as soon as I press Alt, it doesn't continue to scroll vertically, just freezes in place. Why?

(For additional info, I have "Allow keyboard commands even when mouse-editing" enabled. But it makes zero difference if I disable it!)
Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #27
Trogdor

Yes, the scroll is important for sure.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #28
EvilDragon

Feature request regarding note hide/show: In the context menu when we Ctrl+click a note row, please add an option to show all hidden notes, too (bringing us back to default state). Also an option to reset note order would be nice. Add actions for both, too.

Brilliant feature, finally will be able to have proper drum maps!
Old 04-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #29
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i'm not sure how this new re-order feature should function with "open all MIDI in project" enabled. right now, re-ordered note rows persist across tracks. it doesn't feel right to have an RS5K track with a bunch of re-organized notes, close the editor, and then open a MIDI item on a bass vsti track to see the notes in non-chromatic order.
Good point.
Maybe it could be toggleable on a per track basis?
(I'm wondering if someone would (additionally) want it toggleableable on a per item basis. For me on per track basis would certainly do.)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #30
DeathByGuitar

Quote:

This is HUGE for drum programming!!!
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #31
EvilDragon

Quote:
Good point.
Maybe it could be toggleable on a per track basis?
(I'm wondering if someone would (additionally) want it toggleableable on a per item basis. For me on per track basis would certainly do.)
Indeed. This needs to be adjustable.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #32
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Indeed. This needs to be adjustable.
Agreed, but then what if showing items of multiple tracks (say from a drum track with reordered note rows and a bass track) at once in the same MIDI editor? :P (edit: should it show reordered or chromatic in this case? Maybe base it on the currently active item track's origin?)

Last edited by nofish; 04-29-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #33
Funkybot

There's already a setting called "Note Name Actions Apply to Selected Channel Only." Would it make sense to wrap up the note name order to that already existing setting? Or at least create a new "Note order applies to selected channel only" setting there?

Last edited by Funkybot; 04-29-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #34
Funkybot

I'd consider this a bug. Or at least, a very non-intuitive design. Deleting the MIDI item resets the MIDI note order.

Preferences: MIDI Editor One Per Project

1. Load up your favorite drum software
2. Create a single MIDI item
3. Double click the item to open in the editor
4. Reorder your MIDI notes your liking
5. Delete your MIDI item
6. Create a new MIDI item

Result: original note order is restored.

Expected Result: Note order should be per track. Or at least, not tied to the item.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #35
Funkybot

Quote:
Agreed, but then what if showing items of multiple tracks (say from a drum track with reordered note rows and a bass track) at once in the same MIDI editor? :P (edit: should it show reordered or chromatic in this case? Maybe base it on the currently active item track's origin?)
I think the only options would be: 1) origin track order, or 2) if you're viewing multiple items across tracks with different note orders, you get chromatic order only. If you want to see the custom order, only open that item/track.

I honestly think chromatic only makes the most sense if two channels have different note orders.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #36
n997

Quote:
As said by others, looks very promising for better workflows with drum mappings - thanks!

+1 to MIDI editor note reordering being per-track.

Quote:
what if showing items of multiple tracks (say from a drum track with reordered note rows and a bass track) at once in the same MIDI editor? :P (edit: should it show reordered or chromatic in this case? Maybe base it on the currently active item track's origin?)
In "One MIDI editor per project" view (which I always use) I'd expect notes to be shown in custom order, also when viewing multiple items across tracks.

Whether to show chromatic or reordered key rows on the left, would indeed depend on which track is target for MIDI note input (as shown in MIDI Editor's Track List via "arrow curving down" icon). Unless I'm forgetting something, that selector works one-track-at-a-time, so it would be appropriate for this.

Having the key order shown on the left change according to "target for MIDI note input" would also serve as useful extra indicator of which track is current target for MIDI input.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #37
JamesPeters

Quote:
This is an absolute must have for this sort of workflow, otherwise it is just painful. Don't include this feature if you don't want to make it auto-scroll...
I disagree. It's very valuable without autoscroll, and if that's what "makes or breaks" this, I vote +infinity over you.

But it would be nice if it also auto-scrolled.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #38
Joe90

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you so much for the razor edit envelope editing options. They are wonderfully intuitive. Great implementation.

Keep up the good work!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #39
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
As said by others, looks very promising for better workflows with drum mappings - thanks!

+1 to MIDI editor note reordering being per-track.

In "One MIDI editor per project" view (which I always use) I'd expect notes to be shown in custom order, also when viewing multiple items across tracks.

Whether to show chromatic or reordered key rows on the left, would indeed depend on which track is target for MIDI note input (as shown in MIDI Editor's Track List via "arrow curving down" icon). Unless I'm forgetting something, that selector works one-track-at-a-time, so it would be appropriate for this.

Having the key order shown on the left change according to "target for MIDI note input" would also serve as useful extra indicator of which track is current target for MIDI input.
I think I agree with what you are saying. I sometimes use 2 different drum programs so for example I may use the kick and snare from both programs but the rest of the stuff from only one. When I'm editing between the 2 I like to sometimes have a punchier snare and kick on some hits.

I'm curious how this would work with the 2 if the mappings are different from each other. It would be nice if both midi instruments could be on the same midi item where I could set which note is triggering which VST Drum programs instrument of choice.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #40
vitalker

Quote:
Also, I would like to point out again that the Alt focuses menu bar while mousewheeling situation is not sorted out completely (or at all, apparently).
Use Bug reports forum. (as you suggest to others)