Old 11-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #201
kaylec
Human being with feelings

Kenny’s videos are fantastic. I join with the others to add my heartfelt thanks for your work, good sir.

Also noticed that you’ve changed themes and added new intros and outros. nice touches.
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #202
Boogieshoes

Kenny the videos are a compelling library of information that is superbly set out.

Sadly I don’t use YouTube, or any of the corporate social media sites with a login so can’t subscribe through those routes to comment. If I did have a comment other than thank you, it would be to request an insight to some othe features you use. Like setting up the screen display that shows the output from a physical midi keyboard … eg. The 1 key becomes a 3 key chord output and some of the other things that flash past in a video… I sometime sit and wonder ‘just how did he do that?’ …

Anyway thank you again for your patience and time put into these tutorials.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #203
Jeffsounds

Hey, Kenny! Love your videos and can't thank you enough for all the help you have given those of us who love Reaper. Question: I just watched your video Recording and Processing Voiceover or Narration in REAPER. What determines exactly where you set the frequencies in ReaXcomp? I noticed that you are moving them around but what are you listening to/for that tells you where to set it?

Thank you, Sir!
Old 12-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #204
Flubotti

Default Reaper Tutorials

Anybody know how to organize Reaper tutorials alphabetically in their respective categories?
Flubotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 AM   #205
ivansc

@Flubotti:
Frankly, the order Kenny`s videos appear in is the ideal way to access them, rather than alphabetically.

Sorry it took a while for a response, by the way. Xmas eve was a tough time to put up a question when all the Xtians would be swapping presents or drinking booze, etc....
Old 02-12-2022, 12:53 AM   #206
gmgmgm

Is it just me, or are a couple of Kenny's recent videos marked private on YouTube?

Specifically, 'Playback Looped Takes as One Performance' and 'Quickly Rename Tracks or Items'.

I just noticed because I usually download them to a tablet so I can watch them while plodding along on the treadmill at the gym.
gmgmgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #207
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgmgm View Post
Is it just me, or are a couple of Kenny's recent videos marked private on YouTube?
They're scheduled to be released over the next few days. Sorry.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #208
Coachz

Is this thread the best place to find out about new Kenny vid releases?

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #209
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Either here or I guess subscribe to Kenny’s YouTube channel as that would, or so I think, ping you when he posts something else up. It’s a tough one if you aren’t somebody that has a google/YouTube or a Facebook account and not everybody does.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #210
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
Either here or I guess subscribe to Kenny’s YouTube channel as that would, or so I think, ping you when he posts something else up. It’s a tough one if you aren’t somebody that has a google/YouTube or a Facebook account and not everybody does.
As someone without a Facebook account or daily activity on ThemTube (I deleted the app off my phone last year and never looked back) I just have his main page bookmarked, go there once a week or so, and check to see if there’s a new video up. Not too much of a hassle considering the alternative of getting bothered by social media every hour or so on my phone
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #211
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I post them as I finish them on youtube and justin adds them to the main video page about once per month.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #212
sayar

Default Suggestion to Kenny

Kenny,
Thank you for the videos, they are excellent.
On thing, as new comer I sometimes struggle with is, you use keyboard shortcuts to do something simple, but don't explain what shortcut you used because it's not related to the video's topic. I guess you assume people know what you did. It will help beginners like me to know exactly what you did to make the change.
Thank you
sayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #213
tfmc

Default Any thoughts of a video using Scaler in Reaper?

Kenny,
I among all the rest on here love your videos and use them constantly when I am trying to figure out how to do something while recording.
I was wondering if there was any thought of doing a video setting up and using Scaler from plugin boutique in Reaper?
It is a great little program that is useful in coming up with ideas while writing music. It is also very affordable and I would love to see you set up several instances of it in reaper to create a track.
Just a thought.
Thank you again for all your help with this great program.
The Fishman
tfmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 AM   #214
arsvivendi

Default video idea

Kenny, loved your AMA. Hope that desk is still standing lol

I answered a question that has lots of views on here and reddit.
Don't think you've done a video on it recently.

My answer: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....13#post2603113
arsvivendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:16 PM   #215
Flabergasted

Default Request

Since the videos are awesome and since there are beginning to be a lot of them (which I love!), is there another way to search the videos with keywords like "stretching audio without changing pitch". Sometimes I know there's a video I've seen about a certain topic and it's hard to find quickly other than knowing the category and searching thorough all the videos that might be it.
Flabergasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #216
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Just wanted to add that many of the people who watch these videos do not speak English as their first language. So I also slow it down a bit for them. As they have reached out to me on many occasions to tell me just that.

Thanks
Seems to be really good tutorials for those who can follow this type of speaking and a lot of time is put into these videos. It is not the speed, it is all the breaks in the wrong places that makes it hard to follow, but then again, I am just one person.

I am beginner in reaper and I find these videos really hard to follow because of this.
Eg it is like reading a....book with several...dots between every....third word, it just....hard too...read this, or pause a movie every 10th second, you get out of focus quite fast.

I have tried several times to watch but I just can't keep watching after a minute or so...I am quite sure the subscriptions would be far more if it wasn't because of this, because the content seems to be really worth while besides that.

Please read this as constructive criticism, my native Language is Swedish and on the flip side of this, I choose to learn by trial and error, so in a sense, that is educating too.
Rockan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #217
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockan View Post
...it is all the breaks in the wrong places that makes it hard to follow...I am beginner in reaper and I find these videos really hard to follow...I have tried several times to watch but I just can't keep watching after a minute or so...
It's been a while since I've watched Kenny vids, but I'm pretty sure "the breaks" are not "in the wrong places." You as a beginner probably just need to stick it out a little longer, try harder, learn a little more, and pieces will start to fall together more easily, you'll find the videos easier to follow, etc. A lot of the procedures in Reaper (or any DAW software) can be pretty complicated, and there's a lot of them, so...

Pause the videos, work through the routines/the steps, re-start the video, repeat the processes, and then repeat them again and again in your work - it should all start to gel, eventually.

You might be a little like me. I'm not good, patient, with step-by-step instructions. I prefer more global, over-arching, conceptual explanations, and then me putting those concepts into practice, figuring out the steps myself. But, you often just can't convey the 'big picture' and/or the underlying logic in a few minutes. You have to start with the pieces, the steps, and just endure the tedium. You'll 'get it', eventually...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:23 PM   #218
karbomusic

Just an FYI... For speaking fast/slow, there's no need to record it any differently as there is a playback speed control for both the Reaper and YT versions of the videos.

That's what it's there for FYI.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #219
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
good tutorials for those who can follow this type of speaking and a lot of time is put into these videos. It is not the speed, it is all the breaks in the wrong places that makes it hard to follow, but then again, I am just one person.
I feel you; however, have you ever tried to make a tutorial video? It’s really hard to do things, think about what you’re doing, keep the right steps in mind, find the right words to describe what you’re doing, and talk all at the same time. Took me a couple videos to get used to his verbal rhythm but once I watched a couple videos it started making more sense and I got used to it

I suppose that theoretically, one could write a script to find all silence over say 1/2 seconds and then trim that silence with the video; but then you’d be cutting out potentially useful information from the video… unless you then also figured out how to automate insertion of time-stretching flags and time-stretch each section where the silence was cut out… that would probably be a pretty huge task though…
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #220
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
It's been a while since I've watched Kenny vids, but I'm pretty sure "the breaks" are not "in the wrong places." You as a beginner probably just need to stick it out a little longer, try harder, learn a little more, and pieces will start to fall together more easily, you'll find the videos easier to follow, etc. A lot of the procedures in Reaper (or any DAW software) can be pretty complicated, and there's a lot of them, so...

Pause the videos, work through the routines/the steps, re-start the video, repeat the processes, and then repeat them again and again in your work - it should all start to gel, eventually.

You might be a little like me. I'm not good, patient, with step-by-step instructions. I prefer more global, over-arching, conceptual explanations, and then me putting those concepts into practice, figuring out the steps myself. But, you often just can't convey the 'big picture' and/or the underlying logic in a few minutes. You have to start with the pieces, the steps, and just endure the tedium. You'll 'get it', eventually...
I am a beginner in reaper, but not in the English language, it is not the understanding of words that is the problem here. It IS the breaks and pauses, as many others stated. Now, I don't want to talk down Kennys effort, but his videos is not for me or the ones who has a hard time following the videos because of this, it has nothing to do with pausing the video to understand it is the flow of the talk, that is the issue.
The reaper blog and Lets talk about reaper, gets my attention thou
Old 01-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #221
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
I feel you; however, have you ever tried to make a tutorial video? It’s really hard to do things, think about what you’re doing, keep the right steps in mind, find the right words to describe what you’re doing, and talk all at the same time. Took me a couple videos to get used to his verbal rhythm but once I watched a couple videos it started making more sense and I got used to it

I suppose that theoretically, one could write a script to find all silence over say 1/2 seconds and then trim that silence with the video; but then you’d be cutting out potentially useful information from the video… unless you then also figured out how to automate insertion of time-stretching flags and time-stretch each section where the silence was cut out… that would probably be a pretty huge task though…
No, I have-not done any educational videos, but a bit of educational support in IT-systems, but not videos.

However, I´d really like to watch them, start to finish, but I just can't, so my attention goes to The ones I can follow (eg The reaper blog, Lets talk about reaper etc) without thinking about the stops and pauses in the middle of sentences.

Well, as said, the videos is not for everyone as our styles in taste and music differs, there's nothing more to it than that. And still this is only my own opinion (even though I am not alone), and far more people like the videos, even though I think the subscriptions could increase if these stops and pauses were to vanish somehow.

Kenny seems to have some impressive knowledge thou, and should keep up the good work for the many others who can follow.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #222
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Just an FYI... For speaking fast/slow, there's no need to record it any differently as there is a playback speed control for both the Reaper and YT versions of the videos.

That's what it's there for FYI.
It is not the speed of the speech that makes it hard to follow.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #223
juan_r

I think. Kenny's pauses are. Endearing.
I have no trouble. Following.
On the contrary. I keep checking. On YouTube.

EDIT I mean checking. For new content. By REAPER Mania. (That's Kenny Gioia.)

Last edited by juan_r; 01-22-2023 at 08:47 AM.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #224
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I think. Kenny's pauses are. Endearing.
I have no trouble. Following.
On the contrary. I keep checking. On YouTube.
You made my point, then a read a book like that, preferable in a language that is not your native language, let alone, listen to an audiobook, although I don't think there is one that reads like that.

And yes YouTube has other choices
Old 01-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #225
juan_r

I think that without the pauses, Kenny's fast paced NY hammer would be even harder to follow for a non-native speaker!
Old 01-22-2023, 01:05 AM   #226
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I think that without the pauses, Kenny's fast paced NY hammer would be even harder to follow for a non-native speaker!
Like almost every other YouTuber you mean?

Or maybe I need to take a breather in the pauses and stops, and meditate them away.

I will leave this as is for now, I´d just want to leave a constructive note on the matter.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:09 AM   #227
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
"the breaks" are not "in the wrong places."
IMHO, the breaks are perfectly emphasizing the correct places in the flow of the sentences.

I am not a native English speaker and I find Kennies videos are among the easiest to follow I know.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:06 AM   #228
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO, the breaks are perfectly emphasizing the correct places in the flow of the sentences.

I am not a native English speaker and I find Kennies videos are among the easiest to follow I know.

-Michael
I beg to differ, and more so when the videos is the only ones existing on the reaper site.
A purchase of the software, could make it or break it for those who really do think they're hard to follow.
Just an honest opinion and should be considered as constructive criticism since it is official tutorials on the Reaper site and the vids are a sticky topic on this forum.

And to all of those who has the need to defend the videos as is, please think outside the box, there are more than one views to a perspective, whats obvious to some could be really hard for others as in ordinary life.
And personally, I have no issues following every other information or instructional videos on the matter on the internet, so there is no lack in understanding words or the language, but I have never heard anyone give instructions with stops and pauses that takes makes me loose interest and focus.

It is all in the beholders perceptions right....
Old 01-22-2023, 06:19 AM   #229
Bassman002

HI

Thank you so much for these videos, I've learned a lot from it!

Don't know how much I have seen so far, but more than 200 in the last 6 months I think��

Since this week I'm fully working with Reaper (Cakewalk before from the beginning on, Vers. 0.98 Shareware)

Thumbs up

Awaiting the new Comp Features in a Video, which will hopefully come in the future

Greetz,
Bassman.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:21 AM   #230
gibi25

I understand that you don't like Kenny's videos.
And that's your basic right.
I don't think it's necessary for you to tell us any longer.
Seven messages were enough for us to understand.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #231
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibi25 View Post
I understand that you don't like Kenny's videos.
And that's your basic right.
I don't think it's necessary for you to tell us any longer.
Seven messages were enough for us to understand.
Just answering comments due to my opinion.
Nothing more, nothing less!
Old 01-23-2023, 12:37 AM   #232
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

And to all of those who has the need to defend the videos as is, please think outside the box, there are more than one views to a perspective, whats obvious to some could be really hard for others.
Did you read that after you typed it?

Yes. Your opinion is another opinion. Your perspective is another perspective.

I think it's great that we can all see things in different ways and appreciate our differences.

Enjoy your day.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:31 AM   #233
vitalker

Quote:
Just answering comments due to my opinion.
Nothing more, nothing less!
If you can't watch Kenny's videos, then there are other channels:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheREAPERBlog
https://www.youtube.com/@LetsTalkAboutReaper
https://www.youtube.com/@IDDQDSound
https://www.youtube.com/@vanhaze2000
https://www.youtube.com/@learningreaper
https://www.youtube.com/@ReapertvUk

and so many else. You just need to use search box on YT, so if you are looking for automation items tutorial, showcase etc., then just type in "automation items reaper" and boom, you got so many videos.

You can also read User guide: https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Or some articles:
https://www.reapertips.com/
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/tag...r=false#Reaper
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:35 AM   #234
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Did you read that after you typed it?

Yes. Your opinion is another opinion. Your perspective is another perspective.

I think it's great that we can all see things in different ways and appreciate our differences.

Enjoy your day.
Yes, I did!

And we should be thankful for that, without the nay-sayers, there would be no development.

Thank you, to you too, my good sir.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #235
Rockan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
If you can't watch Kenny's videos, then there are other channels:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheREAPERBlog
https://www.youtube.com/@LetsTalkAboutReaper
https://www.youtube.com/@IDDQDSound
https://www.youtube.com/@vanhaze2000
https://www.youtube.com/@learningreaper
https://www.youtube.com/@ReapertvUk

and so many else. You just need to use search box on YT, so if you are looking for automation items tutorial, showcase etc., then just type in "automation items reaper" and boom, you got so many videos.

You can also read User guide: https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Or some articles:
https://www.reapertips.com/
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/tag...r=false#Reaper
Thank you, for the suggestions and tips.

And on another constructive note, may I suggest a sticky thread for tips on other reaper content creators like mentioned in this comment above?
Besides this comment and the obvious, I can't find any threads on other Reaper-content creators on this forum. After all, it is Reaper content, and I just seems to be fingernails on a blackboard in this thread.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #236
Spookye

I too wish Kenny would make more videos maybe with blonde pigtails and big breasts. But I still follow the videos of him with soda and popcorn. I remain humble.
Ciao Kenny thnx always
Old 01-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #237
vitalker

Quote:
Thank you, for the suggestions and tips.

And on another constructive note, may I suggest a sticky thread for tips on other reaper content creators like mentioned in this comment above?
Besides this comment and the obvious, I can't find any threads on other Reaper-content creators on this forum. After all, it is Reaper content, and I just seems to be fingernails on a blackboard in this thread.
If I would be a moderator, I could create such a thread, but I am not.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #238
eq1

Quote:
I am a beginner in reaper, but not in the English language, it is not the understanding of words that is the problem here. It IS the breaks and pauses...
hmm, maybe the or a point I was trying to get at, something I'm not understanding here, is that, Kenny's been doing these videos for a long time, they're all similar style/presentation (i.e. he does them the way he thinks he should do them, the way he wants to), there's a lot of them, etc., he's doing a service here for reaper folks, and you're the beginner, looking for help:

Shouldn't you be the one who tries to adjust your brain to his style, not him adjusting his style to your brain?

I mean, you don't have to, and apparently you're not going to, but I think you'd be better off not adopting, settling on, such an inflexible position. Adapt...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #239
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookye View Post
I too wish Kenny would make more videos maybe with blonde pigtails and big breasts.
Now that would be some development.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #240
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
After all, it is Reaper content, and I just seems to be fingernails on a blackboard in this thread.
The purpose of my narration style is based on people following along and not getting lost and having to keep rewinding when they miss something. So you can ingest information in slow packets.

This won't work for everyone and that's understood but the feedback I've received is that it does work for most people.

My recommendation for you (and it's how I learned) is to use the User Guide.

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

It allows you to work at your pace and the only voice you'll be hearing is your own.

Unless you're a psychopath and you find your inner monologue to be someone elses.

Good luck.

Kenny