Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #41
Mordi
Human being with feelings

Re: Rounded notes. What if note images were themable? Would be nice, IMO.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #42
gofer
-blänk-

My 2ct:

I think this experiment was worth doing. In this version in modes other than track and item color we have a definable border color (row 130) plus a definable fill color (row 129) for selected CC and velocities. Unselected CC/ velocities use row 1 as border color and a fill I couldn't quite find in the colormap yet (somewherelow in the unselected area of the colormap, but doesn't seem to be a single row?)

That's great! I think the border+fill is already sufficient to satisfy my personal wishes, even without the shape change. In this version I can use a common border color to indicate selection without losing the information about which channel an event is on . Yay, mission accomplished.

I also don't like the shape change, now that I see it. But I am indifferent as to which shape I prefer for notes. For CC/velocities I like the square shape much more. On notes, the rounded edges do look kinda cool, but the rectangles are probably indeed better for judging event placement. Maybe use the work you put into it to make an option for either round or square, but without dependence on selection status?

Getting to see how much I like squared CC and how elegant rounded notes can look made your effort on this version worthwhile, methinks Plus, I really think the border + fill method in this version is pretty much nailing it.

Track/item colors don't seem to have changed. Maybe it's possible to get a similar outcome by adding a "selected note/CC border" color to the theme config tweaker and using the actual track/item color for note fills (maybe with a much less drastic, or even configurable change for selected notes). The actual track/item color could also be used for unselected CC/vel outline and selected CC fill.
Main thing has to be to have faithfull track/item colors on notes and CC, because that's what these modes are meant for.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
_Stevie_

A lot of truth in this post, thanks gofer!

(SCNR: Congrats to 11111 posts :P)

Last edited by _Stevie_; 05-17-2019 at 09:40 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Yeah gofer, happy 31st post!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #45
gofer
-blänk-

NotgonnareplyNotgonnareplyNotgonnareplyNotgonnarep

Dang!
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #46
a13xhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Depends on how rounded they are. FL Studio has no problems with that. But the notes are rounded both when selected and unselected. From the look of things it's about the same in Reaper as it is in FLS. Example. Reaper is actually less rounded.

I think this needs to be an option. I really dislike the shapes changing on selection.

Also there seems to be a visual discrepancy: for velocities, selected lollipop heads have a white fill, but for CCs they don't have the white fill. Feels inconsistent.

EDIT: Actually seems like a weird hue shift, as the color is different depending on coloring mode. Hmmm... intentional, or?
I am sorry for posting this here but What theme are you using EvilDragon? Thank you.
a13xhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #47
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I agree with ED. I have to say that the different square/rounded shapes for selected/unselected is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. It's not only a mess visually when using a lot CC points (which in my case is ALL the time) but it looks completely amateur. This one really needs a re-think.

Keep them the same shape. Filled = selected, not filled = unselected and highlight selected area as you are doing.

The highlight itself is already more than clear. Don't obfuscate it by doing something unnecessary. Highlighting the area, filling the point AND changing it to a square? Really??
Agreed
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
_Stevie_

@Justin: is it expected, that global hotkeys don't work at all, when script windows are focused? I thought it would only affect script windows, if a text box has focus. I know, tough one...
Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #49
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@Justin: is it expected, that global hotkeys don't work at all, when script windows are focused? I thought it would only affect script windows, if a text box has focus. I know, tough one...
There's no such thing as a text box in a Reascript GUI. Even if you think you see one - it's just a graphics mock up of one coded by the script author. Eg - all the one's in Stripper are just drawn the 'textbox' drawing routine. There's nothing to actually tell Reaper when one of these textboxes is displayed or not.

The only solution I can think of for this - is an API call that a scripter can use to signal whether the script receives global key assignments (ie. when it opens a textbox), or not - when no textbox is visible. Only the script coder can tell when this will be.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #50
_Stevie_

Thanks Leon for chiming in! I almost feared this would be the case.

@Justin, I'm so sorry to further getting on your nerves with this,
but an API call would be a tremendous solution to this and make us all
happy!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #51
Klangfarben

Quote:
but an API call would be a tremendous solution to this and make us all happy!
And would also be less work in the long run for Justin since he wouldn't have to change it every time we reported it as not working
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #52
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
MIDI editor: slightly different shape for selected vs unselected notes, velocity, CC events

I personally donīt like rounded notes and would also prefer it as an option. Regarding selected/unselected events, allow me to repeat myself once more, since I canīt explain it any better :

Remember, once more, velocities in dev0505. Selected ones, with any channel, were as clear to the eye as they could be. Notes, velocity lollipops and nodes had the same quite contrasting and consistent color when selected, and they could be clearly differentiated in any context. Even with 0 values and in the context of far zoom :

This, I think, could also be applied to any kind of events in the MIDI Editor. Also, it seems to be simpler than this latest approach and, as far as I could compare with the rest of dev versions, it is by far the most clear solution to selected events I could see up until now.

I have posted these images like three times now, excuse me, but I really donīt know why this approach canīt be applied again to notes and transferred to the other events, since it seems to be the most effective one in any zoom context (talking about Reaperīs default color map, of course, since customized ones are another case).

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 05-17-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #53
robgb

Quote:
v5.978+dev0517 - May 17 2019
[*]# MIDI editor: slightly different shape for selected vs unselected notes, velocity, CC events
Hmmm. Really not liking the look of the unselected midi notes.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #54
krahosk

Default Rounded optional in FL Studio

krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #55
schwa
Administrator

Oh, whoops .. we just posted a new build, but I forgot the previous build was from this morning, so the version number didn't change! The new build, also named 5.978+dev0517, is at landoleet.org.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #56
Klangfarben

New thread maybe? There's a lot of blood and gore in this one already
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #57
_Stevie_

@schwa, maybe rename it to 517a to reduce confusion?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #58
schwa
Administrator

I'm AFK, but it would be great if somebody would make a new thread!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #59
_Stevie_

done!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
xpander

Default Rounded optional in FL Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
This is not the latest dev-release anymore, but just an observation about those rounded note corners. Even the "not rounded" notes in FL Studio have a tiny rounding. It is created by the note frame, visible already in the gif but easily seen if you zoom in. Not necessarily a solution to anything, but at least to me the look is different than straight corners.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #61
Tod

Quote:
I don't know if it's related but I had problems today myself getting shortcut keys to work when toolbars were in focus. When I closed the toolbars or moved them to my other screen then the shortcut keys worked fine.

However this was on Reaper-v5.972/x64 so it might not be relevant.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote