Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Do it right at the woofer and use a really low frequency. All this you kind of have to do anyway, since you can only move the paper so fast. Has the added bonus of busting the myth that low frequencies need space to develop.
Yes exactly. I already have a suitable stepper motor in my lab that I haven't used yet. I'll likely use something like 1Hz and should have enough stuff lying around "in stock" to do it. My RME will pass that and even it it didn't I have several AWGs I can use, oscilloscope etc, aka the basic lab gear.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #42
pipelineaudio
Mortal

That would be the coolest video ever, or it would be a sonic tattoo gun...either way
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #43
karbomusic

I gig this weekend but I'll start getting some stuff together. I can probably print a few parts I need with my 3D printer as I need to build something to scroll the paper.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #44
ashcat_lt

I’d think something in the audible band would be more relevant. In context of this conversation, you’d maybe want to show what happens at the speaker when the signal itself is distorted.

I guess I kind of dig that we want to see if different gain settings affect the amount of overall distortion in some way that’s not the same as just pumping more signal in? Maybe I just caught on? That of course depends on the architecture of the circuit, and honestly would be pretty easy to predict from looking at the schematic.

There’s obviously no way in most preamps to have the software turn the gain knob for you. No matter what software you use, you’ll have to do iterative testing. Shoot it several times at different gain settings and somehow correlate the data. We (by which I mean somebody smarter than me) could do that analysis in JS also.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #45
karbomusic

Ah, yea I was off topic from this thread, I just wanted to show a sine wave doing it's thing sort of end-to-end to get the light bulb to go off for those it might help. AKA say a vibrating string slowed down or tone generator -> physical scope -> DAW Scope -> out the daw -> amp -> speaker -> pencil -> paper.

I know that's obvious to many of us but you'd be surprised how many don't quite grasp that basic simplicity. I've demonstrated it many times in the past in person, but in person I don't really need the pencil/paper since i just slow it way down and explain it by pointing and explaining. We have to slow it down so they can make that direct mental connection.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #46
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Owning a music school, i gotta say that stuff like that, where they actually get to physically see, what otherwise is just blah blah blah lecturing is awesome. It could be one of the most important videos they ever see.

I'm trying to imagine some sort of roller or something to move the paper around. I mean, seismographs and polygraphs have this figured out right? But that stuff is much slower
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Owning a music school, i gotta say that stuff like that, where they actually get to physically see, what otherwise is just blah blah blah lecturing is awesome. It could be one of the most important videos they ever see.
^1000% Correct, for some reason I've always been the "MacGyver" in my circles. The only reason I am is my dad allowed me to "fk with stuff" constantly starting around age 5 and many concepts I decently understand were from tearing things apart, touching, doing, trying, building, failing. Seeing things like this is monumental for those who care IMHO.

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine some sort of roller or something to move the paper around. I mean, seismographs and polygraphs have this figured out right? But that stuff is much slower
Basically exactly but much more primitive. IOW, this isn't going to be something you run for an hour, more like 10 seconds at a time. I think I have most of the stuff lying around to find away to move the paper. Like I said I already have gears/pulleys and some stepper motors like below:

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-13-2019 at 01:06 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote