Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-08-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
BlackArtMixing
Human being with feelings

Default The following effect plug-in could not be loaded

I'm running Reaper 5.40/x64 Windows 10 x64 pro. This error/issue happens on multiple different projects. Basically i can't instantiate some plugins even though they are working fine in other projects or even this project! i get an error saying "The following effect plug-in could not be loaded".
If i close Reaper and open a blank project i am able to load these plugins. there is no problem with Reaper detecting them. Sometimes i already have an instance of the plugin on another track but i can't instantiate it on said track but i can drag and drop it over.
It seems to me this starts to happen at a certain point when mixing a big projects. Firstly all plugins are available and then after some time when the project gets bigger i am no longer able to use certain plugins. its quite frustrating. Waves plugins mostly seem unaffected but my UAD and fabfilter and soundtoys have issue but not with all of their plugins, only some. Also happens with VSTi's
Its a very random issue but VERY frustrating but it might be hard to provide exact steps to achieve the same but i can provide sample projects where i have the issue
In the attachment example I can't instantiate the UAD VSM-3 plugin but i can instantiate the mono version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper_Issue.JPG (40.3 KB, 41 views)
BlackArtMixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
overbe

Getting same message after working for a long time in the same session, when I try loading plugin which wasn't used during that session's time. After restarting Reaper I can load whatever I want. It started happening half year ago, maybe earlier..
overbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
ericzang

any further insight to this? I have been having it also, on large projects with many plugins. Win7 x64. 12gb ram. Reaper 5.40
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
foxAsteria

In prefs > plugins > vst click the clear cache and rescan button. If that doesn't work try this: open Reaper Resources folder, open reaper-vstplugins.ini and reaper-vstplugins64.ini and delete any lines that reference the offending plugins, then rescan. Do the same thing in vstrenames if there's still a problem.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
BlackArtMixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
In prefs > plugins > vst click the clear cache and rescan button. If that doesn't work try this: open Reaper Resources folder, open reaper-vstplugins.ini and reaper-vstplugins64.ini and delete any lines that reference the offending plugins, then rescan. Do the same thing in vstrenames if there's still a problem.
Has this fixed this specific problem for you or is this just a generic vst fix?

@ericzang, are you having this issue with specific plugins or its random? do you also have UAD, Slate, soundtoys, fabfilter, waves etc installed?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArtMixing View Post
Has this fixed this specific problem for you or is this just a generic vst fix?
It has fixed for me the exact problem you described.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
BlackArtMixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
It has fixed for me the exact problem you described.
Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem for me. in fact, its now worse with more plugins now reported as missing. It's not that reaper cannot find them at all. if i open a blank project, i can add these "missing" plugins without any issues

Is it reasonable to think that a dev might actually look at this issue and attempt to help resolve it?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
ericzang

My situation is very similar to blackart's. Deleting lines in the .ini/rescaning plugins has no effect (thanks for your input though FoxAsteria). It is as if my project has reached its limit for adding new vst/vsti plugins. It is not specific to any certain plugins, any plugin that is not already loaded in the project will not load. This includes Reaper vst plugins such as Reagate. JS plugins are ok. I can load an unlimited amount.

My RAM is not full, I have 12gb. Win7 x64, Home Premium SP1. i7 960 3.2Ghz.

I usually have Heda's Track Inspector script running, but the behavior happens with it not running also. I have also experienced this problem over a year ago.

@Blackart: I have installed some plugins from all of those companies you listed, except UAD. Only fabfilter volcano is on this project though.

Tests:

If I delete many or all plugins, only 2 or 3 new plugins will load.

If I delete all plugins, save the project without plugins, close reaper, reopen the project, I can load any plugin.

If I close Reaper, start a new project, add many plugins that are not used in the problem project, open the problem project in a new tab or as the only project (new one is closed), some previously ok plugins of project cannot load, but the ones from the new project can load.

After closing the problem project, loading plugins on a new project is still limited. Closing Reaper and restarting a new project allows new plugins to be loaded.

Last edited by ericzang; 08-17-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
karbomusic

Instead of how much memory the computer has, it would be more helpful to know how much memory the projects are consuming. Apologies if this was already listed.

Secondly, based on the symptom it would be helpful to know how many VSTs are loaded when this occurs. Those can be counted up in the FX tab in the Project Bay window. There may be a better way but that's the first that comes to mind.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
BlackArtMixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Instead of how much memory the computer has, it would be more helpful to know how much memory the projects are consuming. Apologies if this was already listed.

Secondly, based on the symptom it would be helpful to know how many VSTs are loaded when this occurs. Those can be counted up in the FX tab in the Project Bay window. There may be a better way but that's the first that comes to mind.
I've attached a screenshot from my performance meter

RAM USED 4330MB
181 FX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper_Issue2.JPG (14.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArtMixing View Post
I've attached a screenshot from my performance meter

RAM USED 4330MB
181 FX
Excellent, I don't know what the limit is but that's certainly helpful to whomever does.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
ivansc

BAM - have you checked the UAD window to see how much dsp you are using with the projects that glakk with that UAD plug?

And of course the obvious one that always seems to cause issues - you arent using any plugins on the master bus in the faulting projects, by any chance?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
ericzang

Thanks for your input Karbo and Ivan.

RAM: 2437MB
FX: 143

After this screenshot, I removed all fx from master bus. This allowed me to insert 6 new plugins. Then the same failed to load issue occurs.

Last edited by ericzang; 08-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
ericzang

Attached here is a test that is reproduceable by me, and perhaps others? It is a blank project with only 1 track. This track is loaded with 109 fx (free/easy demo ones so others can try it).

The last two fx, ReaVerbate and ReaXcomp, have the "could not be loaded" problem on my system, consistently even after a reboot.

The attached project uses these fx packs:

GVST http://www.gvst.co.uk/packages.htm
mda http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
melda free pack https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/plugins
Toneboosters: http://www.toneboosters.com/download/
ReaFX of course

I was then able to load some additional fx: some from HOFA free 4U package, Blue Cat Gain and Freq Analyst (I suspect these are more simple/smaller fx?). After this, so far I have not been able to load more unique effects. Loading duplicate fx is ok (unlimited it seems).

So, if you try this project and if all fx load successfully, keep adding more fx to see if you have the same problem I have. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip fx load test.zip (24.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
ericzang

Or instead of loading the above project, just load lots (100+) of unique (no duplicates) plugins on a track or tracks. The number varies up to how many cause the problem for me, I think there is variance depending on how large a plugin is.

Another test to try is after creating a project of a hundred of so plugs, close it, load another project with many plugs, any problems?

Last edited by ericzang; 08-18-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Have you guys by any chance changed the names of your plugin dll's? This seems to be a problem of Reaper not recognizing them by name.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-18-2017 at 07:47 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #17
ericzang

I likely have renamed some dlls, but many fx that are not renamed can have this problem. For example, in my test above, if I had loaded any of the ReaFX first (not renamed), they would load successfully.

An unsuccessful loading of an fx seems to happen when I have breached some sort of capacity. This will happen to any fx.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #18
foxAsteria

I don't think there's any plugin count limit. I don't have a lot of the the plugs you mention besides Melda and some GVST, but I managed to load all the plugins on my computer into your test project, 1230 in all, and though it slowed the shit out of my computer, I could still add more.

Something weird's going on in your setup. Have you tried reproducing this in a fresh, portable installation?
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #19
ericzang

Thanks, that is a good idea to test on a clean portable install. I did that just now and unfortunately I still have the same result. Maybe something about my win7 setup. My computer was setup initially by ADK (audio computer builders) in 2010, but my setup is certainly modified since then. I experimented with some settings, but no improvement so far:
paging file, background services/programs, process priority.

Also did a vst clear/rescan and limited it to just a few folders, same result, but I'll try a few different combos of fx folders.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Well you might also try scanning for duplicates with something like Duplicate Cleaner Free. Sometimes having multiple dlls in different with the same name can cause problems. Re-installing those plugin bundles can't hurt either.