Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
TDI90
Human being with feelings

Default Take Related Feature Requests

Requests
1) Remove the ability to click a blank space on a lane which results in the deselection of an actual audio take which resides in the same spot. See https://ibb.co/nuNxYF clicking where the arrow will deselect the take below it from playing.

2) Allow for an option which will not auto split takes during the recording process.

3a) Have a Show Lanes button and have the ability to view the lanes, separate to the track being recorded. See https://ibb.co/kv51tF (credit to Sound on Sound).

3b) If this feature is adopted; show the current comp on the track (similar to if "Show takes as lanes" was unchecked. The lanes would instead be shown below, via a Show Lanes button.

4) Allow clips in individual lanes to be manipulated with respect to click-dragging start and end points, being able to move an individual clip from a lane to a new track.

Benefits
1) Stops mistaken clicks from unknowingly deselecting the desired take.

2) It will remove a few steps in the workflow which are required to tidy up the "mosaic"

3a) It allows for a more flexible way of showing and working with lanes. It allows for lanes to have a more comfortable space to operate in where they are not confined and squashed into the track in question. This is essentially a request to mirror the Cubase way of operation where you can hide the lanes with click of a button.

3b) With different lanes being colour coded, this would easily show the engineer which lane is being used for what part.

4) Allows for a quick recording of a different part by the same performer to be shifted to a new track very easily. Allows for individual takes to have their start and end points to be adjusted before they are clicked and selected to be a part of a comp.

Reason
1) Being able to see empty portions of lanes can often be useful when organising a session

2) I have been trying to find the logic for its inclusion as a feature, and I can't quite get it.

3a) The current method means that tracks constantly have to be resized to show and hide lanes. Lanes are currently squashed into the vertical height of a track.

3b) Organisational benefits.

Thanks

Last edited by TDI90; 06-09-2017 at 06:05 PM.
TDI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Fergler

The logic of the splits is to keep everything lined up horizontally and individual takes are not looped or have silence added to them.

It's fairly logical in my opinion. I would prefer the drag-select method popular in Logic and Studio One 3 however. I like that Reaper takes take up way less room and are less fiddly than that method but it can require some destructive clean up to calm the OCD mind.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI90 View Post
Requests
1) Remove the ability to click a blank space on a lane which results in the deselection of an actual audio take which resides in the same spot. See https://ibb.co/nuNxYF clicking where the arrow will deselect the take below it from playing.
Options -> Take lane behaviour -> disable "Allow selecting empty take lanes".

Quote:
2) Allow for an option which will not auto split takes during the recording process.
Options -> New recording that overlaps existing media items -> Create new media items in separate lanes (layers).

(doesn't create takes though but items, so maybe not completely what you want)

Last edited by nofish; 06-09-2017 at 07:45 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
TDI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Options -> Take lane behaviour -> disable "Allow selecting empty take lanes".

Options -> New recording that overlaps existing media items -> Create new media items in separate lanes (layers).

(doesn't create takes though but items, so maybe not completely what you want)
Thanks for the first point; my eyes managed to miss that option which was in plain sight.

As far as I am aware, visually, the layers looks like a nicer way to do it so the look of that with the feature (minus auto split) of the current system would be good.

To be able to have a show/hide button for lanes like Cubase has is essentially what I would suggest as there is a lot less faffing about with track sizing.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI90 View Post

To be able to have a show/hide button for lanes like Cubase has is essentially what I would suggest as there is a lot less faffing about with track sizing.
CTRL+L

Then use T and SHIFT+T to move to next/prev take. There are also options to auto color new takes as well as adding take 1 of 3 etc. to the item so you always know which take you are on even when collapsed.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
TDI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
CTRL+L

Then use T and SHIFT+T to move to next/prev take. There are also options to auto color new takes as well as adding take 1 of 3 etc. to the item so you always know which take you are on even when collapsed.
Thanks, but that is not what I mean.

Credit to Sound On Sound for the image; in Cubase, the show/hide lanes button shows the lanes as a separate container to the track itself. What I am trying to suggest is to not have lanes contained within the track itself, as this causes, frankly, a PITA when one is dealing with a lot of takes and has to manually resize the track to a large extent to make the lanes usable.

http://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/...&itok=x80U7QhK
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
karbomusic

Got it... similar to automation lanes. However, I'm not a good resource for that because I hate seeing multiple takes and I'm just too efficient at it with them collapsed these days or simply toggling between the two. Somewhat of a classic case of what one is used to (if memory serves cubendo didn't have this yet when I used it years ago).

There are some options to show them in different containers (see take options) but that doesn't address the show/hide ask - only CTRL+L actually collapses them and gets them out of the way.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-13-2017 at 11:11 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote