Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default Volume take envelope work on midi?

Adding a volume envelope to a midi item doesn't seem to affect the midi level. Could we add this ability(else, why have it for midi items?)?

e.g., new_vel = takeval[x]*midi_vel
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
Masi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Default

Why velocity? Other possibilities are CC7 volume and CC11 expression.

Anyway, I guess the volume envelope will work if the any item FX has MIDI playback capability.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

... and/or high-res CC7 or CC11 and/or high Res velocity (CC88), ...

You can find or do a (rather simple) JSFX that features a slider that is remote controlled by an envelope and manipulates the midi stream in the way you find appropriate.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Guys, Your realize you can create an envelope on the midi item itself? Goto properties->take envelopes->enable volume...

But notice that adjusting the envelope doesn't affect the midi velocity. It is a bug in my opinion.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
It is a bug in my opinion.
Why do you think so ?
I would expect the (normal) Volume envelope to move the volume fader and same is located after the FX chain and hence does what it is called: modify the audio output volume.

That does not mean that an envelope modifying the Velocity (be it normal or high resolution coded) would not make sense. But as said this can be done by a simple plugin. IMHO this is the "Reaper Way" do do such stuff. Reaper is not a (pure) Midi Sequencer...

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

I don't think you understand. I am talking about an ITEM's volume envelope. Not an envelope on a track.

Why do I think that?

1. If the ITEM is an AUDIO item, it effects the level of that AUDIO item

BUT

2. If the ITEM is a MIDI item, it does *NOT* effect ANYTHING.

So, to make it A) consistent and B) useful, why not have the volume envelope for a midi ITEM(not a track) be the "velocity" envelope instead?
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
ITEM's volume envelope.
No idea about such a thing.
-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
Gianfini
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post

2. If the ITEM is a MIDI item, it does *NOT* effect ANYTHING.
Yes it does. An item can have an FX attached to it (to the item not the track). And it can be a VSTi able to play midi. In that case ITEM VOLUME ENVELOP affects the output volume of the item playing

Still I agree there should be MIDI specific envelopes either in the item or on track (affecting midi items in the track)

so +1

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #9
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Yes it does. An item can have an FX attached to it (to the item not the track). And it can be a VSTi able to play midi. In that case ITEM VOLUME ENVELOP affects the output volume of the item playing

Still I agree there should be MIDI specific envelopes either in the item or on track (affecting midi items in the track)

so +1

g
You're right. I never use VSTi's on midi items so didn't think of that. But yeah, so still, it should work for midi items when the output is midi or we should have a velocity envelope for the midi output also.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #10
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Happily the item volume envelope seems to be consistent with the track volume envelope.

If there are dedicated item envelops, they should be able to control FX-parameters and hence the slider of a JSFX that would be able to modify the Midi stream.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #11
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 6,960
Default

Since the item volume handle / knob and item fades on MIDI items already do affect velocity it seems it makes sense that the volume take envelope also has effect on the MIDI.

(On the other hand, that would loose the option to control VSTi as item FX output volume as Gianfini said, hm...maybe seperate item velocity / volume envelope would indeed be best).

Quote:
Still I agree there should be MIDI specific envelopes either in the item or on track (affecting midi items in the track)
That already does pre-FX volume envelope and as said above vol. handle and fades.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...51&postcount=2

Last edited by nofish; 06-09-2017 at 07:44 AM.
nofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Still I agree there should be MIDI specific envelopes either in the item or on track (affecting midi items in the track)
In what way exactly ?

factor or addition to velocity ? key on ? key off ? high resolution velocity via CC88 ?,
"Volume" CC7 ?, "Expression" CC11, high resolution CCs ? set or add or multiply ?

An extremely moving target !!! Hence better done in a plugin than in the main software.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Um velocity! Velocity in midi is the equivalent to volume in audio, so it is natural that it should correlate... to think otherwise is just confusing things.

Sure, some things use CC's instead of velocities, so! Two wrongs don't make a right.

It would be nice to have CC envelopes though.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

As said, there is a whole lot of options that might or might not be useful in certain projects.

(e.g. I am using some VST instruments that use velocity for portamento speed and expression for something that might be called "volume".)

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #15
Masi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Um velocity! Velocity in midi is the equivalent to volume
Not really. It stems from the fact that the faster (ie harder) you hit a key on a keyboard, the louder the sound will be.

But the catch is that hitting harder will also change the sound. That's why sample based synths will pick different samples based on the velocity and oscillator based synths allow you to modulate the synthesis with the velocity.

So perhaps in your setup it might be nice to map the volume envelope to velocity, but for others this might not be desired. IMHO this mapping should therefore be not hardwired to Reaper. If it's going to be optional it should be off by default.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

I do not think you know what you are talking about, sorry.

1. We are taking about a midi item envelop. There is no off by default.. it already is, as all envelops are.

2. Velocity is the standard representation of loudness, not timbre, changes. Just because some instruments use other things is irrelevant. It is defined that way in the midi standard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(music)



What I see is a lot of people getting scared because they fear such a change will change their existence(causing them to have to modify their own behavior) and not understanding the problem.

Such a feature will not effect anyone! Why? Very simple, no one has to use it. For those that understand it and will use it, it falls naturally in line with how it is used with everything.

I'm not asking reaper to add a feature that, when you run it on the 3rd day of the month, pigeons fly out of your butt.

I'm asking for something that should have been implement already(and other daws that have similar features do this) and was simply an oversight. If you don't get that, then it means you do not understand the problem(may be my fault for not explaining it well, or yours for not knowing enough about it to understand).

I simply want to control the MIDI item's velocity using an envelope on the item itself. That's it! Why? Because it is much more convenient then splitting the item and adjusting the item's volume, which only allows for constant changes. The method works great for audio... but midi, which is effectively the same, does not. (although if one has a VSTi connected to the item itself, it works for the audio output... one still can't apply the technique to the velocity of the midi).

Example, Using Superior Drummer, one can have midi items that cause the VSTi to play drums. But sometimes you want to reduce the dynamics of the drums... this changes the timbre too... You can either do it manually by opening the editor and adjust the velocities or split the items and lower the item's volume... both of these are not effective as having an velocity envelope.

I just find it amazing out people react when they fear their some insignificant thing might be changed in their life. Hopefully the human race will get beyond that at some point.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As said, there is a whole lot of options that might or might not be useful in certain projects.

(e.g. I am using some VST instruments that use velocity for portamento speed and expression for something that might be called "volume".)

-Michael
So? What is your point? Are you saying because you use something that goes against the midi standard that we should not implement an OPTIONAL feature that works with the standard and is useful in 95% of the cases?

What do you get out of denying such a feature? You don't have to use it, it doesn't effect your workflow in any way and many many more than you will use it, so what do you get out of stopping progress?
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 AM   #18
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

I just wanted to point out that things are not as clear and easy as they seem. (And of course I do have other VSTis that - like most - use as well Velocity as CC7 as a kind of "volume".)

IMHO things that are not totally evident should better be done as plugins (if possible) than bloating the main program by yet more features. This is a lot more flexible.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 06-11-2017 at 02:43 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

see -> http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=19
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #20
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

I'm sorry, you are simply wrong

1. You claim that it will bloat the program. You do not know that and in fact it won't. It is a few lines of code out of the hundreds of thousands of lines that already exist.

2. You apply a generic answer the shoot down all the specifics. If your logic were to hold then EVERY feature reaper has should be handed by plugins. Reaper would be useless by then.

You do not argue on the merits or faults of the specific feature but just paint a very broad argument that is ultimately irrelevant and ignorant(has no basis in fact since it is a hypothetical and goes against known facts).

3. You are argue from the fear based reactions to change rather than analyzing the change for what it is and what it does. You are simply one of those people(one of almost all) that have gut reactions to change and then put up any barrier to prevent it. This is an innate evolutionary trait that you haven't learned to accept or control.

4. Let's suppose that the feature I suggested ALONE causes reaper to bloat by 100%. So! Whipty do, what is your point? Is "bloated" software in and of itself bad? Only if the bloat has no purpose or usefulness. If all the boat is actually useful features then is it really bloat? After all, 640kb is enough for anyone! With your logic, every thing since is just bloat. We should be typing on typewriters because that is probably the leanest form of "computing". But why stop there? what ist he point of typewriters they are "bloated"(heavy). We should use smoke signals to communicate because smoke is very light and hence, not bloated?!?!

5. You claim that it should be done in a library/plugin. WELL, it can't. So, again, what is your point? If you are going to take this stance, then you should be pushing for reaper to have a well defined and systematic way for users to implement any feature they want in any way directly. e.g., if I wanted feature X all I have to do is write some code and insert it in to reaper. Sure, reaper kinda has this, but it doesn't really. It just has it more so than most DAWs.

Please, if you are going to resist change, at least have a good reason for it instead of just trying to be a hurdle for the sake of having someone jump over you. At least that way, the problem can actually get solved.

BTW, I'm not trying to be an ass. Just trying to get you to see the error of your ways I could go and try to explain it all but I think if you think about how humans progress(and assuming you think that is a good thing), you'll see that it always starts with "bloat"... so don't fear the "bloat".

Last edited by Airal; 06-12-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 AM   #21
heda
Human being with feelings
 
heda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spain
Posts: 4,099
Default

@Airal, don't waste more time. It's already possible with ReaControlMIDI in the item.

@mschnell you can also add any MIDI velocity JSFX like JS:MIDI Velocity Control, to the MIDI item and make any parameter available as item take envelope.
__________________
HeDaScripts for REAPER | VIP Donations
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #22
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
@Airal, don't waste more time. It's already possible with ReaControlMIDI in the item.
Um, how is that possible? So, you are saying that if I create a volume envelope on a midi item and add ReaControlMIDI to that item that the volume envelope will then function as a velocity envelope too?

So, can you give a very precise step by step outline on how to achieve that? I don't want to waste any more time, do you?
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #23
Masi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I do not think you know what you are talking about, sorry.

1. We are taking about a midi item envelop. There is no off by default.. it already is, as all envelops are.
But it's not a MIDI envelope. AFAIK there are no MIDI envelopes at all in Reaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
2. Velocity is the standard representation of loudness, not timbre, changes.
Please reread my post. I only said that any decent sample based instrument has velocity layers. Ie it has different samples for diffent volumes because in real life the timbre of an instrument changes with the volume.

Maybe that you are aware of. But in your original post you only wrote about affecting the volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I simply want to control the MIDI item's velocity using an envelope on the item itself.
And I don't want it. That is, I don't want the volume enevelope to modify the MIDI velocity. I'm fine with a dedicated velocity envelope as a new feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I just find it amazing out people react when they fear their some insignificant thing might be changed in their life. Hopefully the human race will get beyond that at some point.
Ad I find it surprsing that you call everyone ignorant who doesn't share your views.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #24
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
ope. AFAIK there are no MIDI envelopes at all in Reaper.
Of course not. Envelopes just move controls. Ans there are no Midi controls at all in Reaper (as Reaper is not in the first place a Midi Sequencer, but it does feature a Midi editor in three manifestations).

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #25
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
But it's not a MIDI envelope. AFAIK there are no MIDI envelopes at all in Reaper.


Please reread my post. I only said that any decent sample based instrument has velocity layers. Ie it has different samples for diffent volumes because in real life the timbre of an instrument changes with the volume.

Maybe that you are aware of. But in your original post you only wrote about affecting the volume.



And I don't want it. That is, I don't want the volume enevelope to modify the MIDI velocity. I'm fine with a dedicated velocity envelope as a new feature.


Ad I find it surprsing that you call everyone ignorant who doesn't share your views.

Masi
Actually I wasn't talking to you but mschenll... Way to get offended though!


But basically what you are saying is that you are ok with creating a new velocity envelope but not reuse the volume envelope to accomplish the same thing. Do you realize that is a pointless argument? It doesn't matter what the hell it is called, I'm sorry you are easily confused. Although, if there is a technical problem such as suppose we have a vst on the item and need to automate both the velocity and volume, then YES we still need way to control the velocity(which was my original point)... of course, no one brought up that argument. The arguments made against having the ability to control velocity on a midi item(and I don't give a shit how, I just want to do it easily... you can all it whatever name you want) have all been nonsensical.

1. Should we have some way to control the velocity of a midi item through an item envelope? Answer: YES. Anyone that disagrees is really an idiot or just being an ass. Sorry, it is fact and you can get offended all you want, that is your problem. All reaper is, is a glorified controller so if you disagree with the answer the why the hell are you using reaper in the first place?You might as well go twiddle pots with your fingers to control audio... of course, that is still a controller of some form so you might as well just go live in a cave.

2. Everything else is just noise/technical. If people argue against 1 they better have a damn good reason and not confuse 1 with 2.

I simply pointed out that there is no way to control the velocity of a midi item through an item envelope, unlike an audio item. Do you agree with that issue or not? If you do, see 1. I suggested a solution to use the volume envelope because that makes it consistent. That does produce a flaw, as I pointed out, but we could solve that too:

a. If the midi item has no audio output FX on it's item FX then the volume envelope acts as velocity envelope. No harm no foul. One can't muck that up except by being confused from ignorance.

b. Better to have both a velocity(pre FX) and volume envelope(post FX) for optimal controllability.

c. You might not like facts and facts might not like you but it is irrelevant to this discussion.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #26
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
any decent sample based instrument has velocity layers. Ie it has different samples for diffent volumes because in real life the timbre of an instrument changes with the volume.
When turning the knob called "volume" on a usual device this only changes the volume, not the sound. So Midi velocity definitively is not "Volume" but "playing force". For same Midi additionally features CC11 "expression". Vut for "Volume" Midi features CC7 that is called exactly so.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #27
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I simply pointed out that there is no way to control the velocity of a midi item through an item envelope, unlike an audio item.
I am rather sure that there is (using an appropriate plugin).

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #28
heda
Human being with feelings
 
heda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spain
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Um, how is that possible? So, you are saying that if I create a volume envelope on a midi item and add ReaControlMIDI to that item that the volume envelope will then function as a velocity envelope too?

So, can you give a very precise step by step outline on how to achieve that? I don't want to waste any more time, do you?
I don't have time to give you a precise tutorial.
Leave the volume envelope for what it is which is audio output volume. As mentioned, you can have VSTis that produce sound from the MIDI, and then you may want volume envelope to act as volume for this audio output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I am rather sure that there is (using an appropriate plugin).

-Michael
yes indeed, the JS:MIDI Velocity Control has different ways to affect the velocity.
__________________
HeDaScripts for REAPER | VIP Donations
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I am rather sure that there is (using an appropriate plugin).

-Michael
NO! Sheesh. How the hell would the plugin see the envelope ON the midi item. You are confusing apples with oranges.

SURE, one can accomplish this. i.e., stick a midi velocity plugin on the FX THEN automate that using an automation lane BUT that is not the same as having the automation lane ON the midi item!

I don't know how to explain it, I'd do a liecap but it wouldn't help if you can't understand the above and what has been said all along. Just because you *think* it can be done doesn't mean it can. Similarly, Just because I think it *can't* be done doesn't mean it can't... but I have causality on my side. For something to be done it has to be implemented... and if you knew it was then you wouldn't *think* but *know*.

So, since you *think* can be done *prove* it.

Take a midi item, create a "velocity" envelope ON the item(not an automation lane) then have that control the velocity(not the volume of some VSTi). If you can accomplish this then you are right, if you can't then you are wrong. It's not my burden to prove the negative. I have stated that it can't(or I haven't found a way to do so) and you are stating that you *think* it can be done. I have more proof and therefor more likely to be right, sorry.

You keep harping on the same old tired answer. You can *think* that it exists all day long but it doesn't do squat for me or anyone else. If you know it can be done then you could have proved it quite easily from the get go. Basically it is impossible for me to prove that it can't be done. I'd have to try every single possible solution and do rigorous mathematical analysis to do that, which isn't going to happen. What I have proved is that there is no easy and direct parallel way that one works with audio items.

BUT you can prove it quite simply by demonstrating it. It's quite simple: I say: "It can't be done"; you say: "You are wrong, here is proof of it being done". But all you have actually done is say you *think* there is proof.

Since this is such a trivial problem, just prove it and we can go about our business. If you can't then you need rethink your thinking because you might just be wrong.

(sure, I could hack/reverse engineer reaper and implement the feature but that isn't the kinda of solution in the domain of reason)
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #30
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
NO! Sheesh. How the hell would the plugin see the envelope ON the midi item.
There is an item- ("take-") effects chain (additional to the track effect chain). It would be stringent that same accepts the item envelops (that you brought up and I did not yet tested) as input for any VST-parameters / JSFX-sliders.

In fact I did not check yet, because you did not once ask "how", but claimed to already know.

Now I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Take a midi item, create a "velocity" envelope ON the item(not an automation lane)...
Instead:
Take a midi item, create a "take FX" chain, place some plugin (e.g. a JSFX), right click "Param", -> show Item Take envelope, choose a parameter (slider) by name.

Now you have an envelope that can do whatever you might choose to.

If you can specify exactly what you want, I could do an appropriate JSFX:
- I understand you don't want the plugin to be able to be used with other plugins than the ones you use, and hence should not provide parameters to control the behavior described below.
- I understand you don't want CC7 (Midi volume, as seemed obvious from the thread title), nor CC11 (less obvious) but Velocity (still less obvious)
- I suppose you don't want high resolution velocity (including CC88), even though this would be very appropriate. But in fact there are only a few VSTis that are able to handle this.
- I suppose you want just note-on velocity, not note-off velocity (even though this would be very appropriate), as most VSTis don't use note-off velocity.
- I suppose you want Velocity=0 to be unchanged in any case, as some - but not all - VSTis use Note-On Velocity = 0 as Note-Off.
- do you want the envelope (->Slider) value as a factor or as an offset to the velocity input value (offset would be more likely, as with most VSTIs the velocity->"Volume" function is exponential).



-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 06-12-2017 at 01:18 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #31
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

You're right! thanks! Sorry for being an ass. I didn't know that the FX system was essentially duplicated for midi items. I thought only the standard vol, pan, etc were available. It's quite amazing what reaper could do! Now I know and I'm less ignorant than before You've proved your case and won!

My only "complaint"(and it is minimal now, because at least there is a way) is that we still need a velocity like parameter because having to load the a plugin seems like an extra hoop to use. I use velocity/volume automation extensively(mainly on auto as I don't do midi much and when I do I never use item FX) so having a quick and seamless way to do it would be nice, but the alternate way isn't too much trouble.


What I originally said was

"Adding a volume envelope to a midi item doesn't seem to affect the midi level. Could we add this ability(else, why have it for midi items?)?

e.g., new_vel = takeval[x]*midi_vel"

Because I assumed there was no way to control the velocity. I figured having the volume envelope would be the best, but that has some problems.. the optimal solution would also to be to have a velocity envelope too. In which you said we don't need it and we can do everything with a plugin... which it's the wrong mentality(because then why do we even need volume, pan, width, etc? All those can be done with a plugin/vst too. So, from your logic, they are just bloat).

To test:

I put a velocity plugin on the track - the "MIDI Velocity Control", automated the take's plugin's velocity multiplier and adder. It does work.

Anyways, I'm a happy camper for the most part(I'm happy because it can be done, but slightly unhappy that it can't be done as easy as it should)!

Thanks again.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #32
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Sorry for being ...
Apology accepted.

So please continue testing "JS:MIDI Velocity Control" (Heda's suggestion) on that behalf and come back if it does not fill your needs. In that case I will try to do a JSFX that does. (BTW. IMHO adding seems more appropriate than multiplying, as with most VSTIs the velocity->"Volume" function is exponential.)

Of course you are right that certain tasks can be (usually slightly) easier (or "nicer") accomplished in certain other DAWs than in Reaper (especially some Midi specialties in CuBase, that had been born as a pure Midi Sequencer), but there are lot's of tasks that can't be accomplished in most or any other DAW but can be done in Reaper. And as I pointed out the task you brought up is by far not as simple/obvious as it seems on the first sight.

-Michael
--- Reaper Rocks --- especially by it's versatility e.g. via extensions, plugins, scripts, themes, ...
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 06-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #33
Masi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
1. Should we have some way to control the velocity of a midi item through an item envelope? Answer: YES. Anyone that disagrees is really an idiot or just being an ass.
I agree, but not because of your insults. But I reckon you're hot-blooded so I don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I simply pointed out that there is no way to control the velocity of a midi item through an item envelope, unlike an audio item. Do you agree with that issue or not?
Again, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
b. Better to have both a velocity(pre FX) and volume envelope(post FX) for optimal controllability.
I like that one. Actually it's what I have asked for

BTW, IIRC folks have already asked a few times to get CC envelopes for MIDI items. So adding a MIDI velocity enevelope is in line with current requests.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #34
Masi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Technical specifications / Messages
"[...] a velocity value that indicates how forcefully the note was played"

http://oktopus.hu/uploaded/Tudastar/...cification.pdf
page 10 (page 16 in the PDF)
"Interpretation of the Velocity byte is up to the receiving instrument."

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a pedantic asshole, you know

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #35
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Technical specifications / Messages
"[...] a velocity value that indicates how forcefully the note was played"

http://oktopus.hu/uploaded/Tudastar/...cification.pdf
page 10 (page 16 in the PDF)
"Interpretation of the Velocity byte is up to the receiving instrument."

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a pedantic asshole, you know

Masi
Yeah, even if you are, you are still wrong!

That point is, not what the velocity does, so much, but that it is a "thing" that has name. The fact is, that we can't control it easily like we can some other things. The Midi standard says "Hey, we have this thing we call velocity and it does X" and yet there is no take envelope in reaper that can modify it directly.

(in fact, I don't really care what it controls, as long as I can control it, because I'm a control freak!)
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #36
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 6,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Yeah, even if you are, you are still wrong!
No, you are wrong claiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Um velocity! Velocity in midi is the equivalent to volume in audio,
Velocity is just a control source which can be used for various things.

But this whole discussion is indeed not relevant for this request.
nofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Airal
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
No, you are wrong claiming



Velocity is just a control source which can be used for various things.

But this whole discussion is indeed not relevant for this request.
I know, but everything is just "controls" at the end of the day. It's all just bit manipulation... So it always comes down to who wants to give up the argument. What we do know is that velocity(in terms of the midi standard, which is just another form of control), in 99% of usage, represents the "volume/dynamics" of whatever it is apart of. To try to parse that and make it in to a big deal is more than pedantic, it is ignorant. I realize that in some cases velocity might represent "sustain", but that's just renaming things... doesn't change much of anything. We are not talking about names here but the ability to do things with the names. I was under the impression that I could not do anything to the "velocity"(or whatever you want to redefine the name as) for a midi item. I was wrong. But one still can't do it very easily, which I was right. I'd still like to do it easily because I'm lazy. I imagine a lot of other people would also be happy with a "velocity" envelope.

In fact, I'd rather have some programmatic way to do it. Say, input a function transformation that maps midi messages and envelope source to midi messages... of course, we basically have that in JS(although, I'm not sure if it can take an arbitrary envelope source and use that nor if one can even create arbitrary envelopes easily).
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #38
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
it is a "thing" that has name.
Yep. Obviously the name is "Velocity", and same is derived from the action done to the controller (keyboard) and does not indicate anything regarding the sound that in "instrument" is supposed to derive from that action.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.