Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Hard8
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo mapping: dragging marker doesn't work

Currently I'm busy with tempo mapping a Foo Fighters song (Rope) to create a backing track (with click) for a coverband. The timing of the original is not so tight, so I am inserting tempo change markers and want to drag them in a way the grid is accurate with the timing. I have followed the explanation in one of Kenny's videos. All went well for the first three or so markers, but after this I can't drag the next marker anymore. AFAIK I didn't accidentally hit a short cut because the first markers are still "drag-able". Has anyone experienced this behaviour in Reaper before? Is it a bug of a feature? Or am I doing something wrong. Please help me out.
Hard8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
hopi

you should be able to drag them... I can do so fine win7 64 bit
Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
Hard8

Indeed, it should work, but it doesn't. I'm working with Windows 10. I doubt this will have a dependacy.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Hard8

Would somebody help me if I provide a screencast showing this behaviour?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
mschnell

I seem to remember that I once tried but was not able to find out how it should work. Seemingly it had not been done for my shallow mind.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-17-2017 at 11:11 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
hopi

well a good test might be instead of dragging the T marker, rt clk on it and edit the values and see if that moves it....
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
Omni

Default Did you ever find a solution?

Trying to edit markers and Ctrl drag them per Kenny's instruction in v5.76, and finding the same issue. The first few tempo markers can be adjusted to the grid.. After that you can't drag the grid around them anymore.

NM. I was setting up a screen capture and for some reason it started to work.

Running into an interesting problem where my MIDI item isn't long enough after tempo mapping, and when I extend it, the item wants to loop instead of showing the missing notes though....

Last edited by Omni; 03-04-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
Running into an interesting problem where my MIDI item isn't long enough after tempo mapping, and when I extend it, the item wants to loop instead of showing the missing notes though....
Item properties - uncheck "Loop source"?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
Indeed, it should work, but it doesn't. I'm working with Windows 10. I doubt this will have a dependacy.
Did anyone solve this? I am also having the same problem on the latest OSX.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
dug dog

Just taking a bit of a shot in the dark here but do you, by chance, have snapping enabled?
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
Would somebody help me if I provide a screencast showing this behaviour?
Please do upload a screencast.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
RobertWebb

Same issue here I believe. The "T" that appears to the left of tempo markers in Kenny's video don't appear for me, and that appears to be what he's grabbing. Is this the problem? If so, how do I get them back?

If I hold Ctrl and drag the marker with the mouse, nothing happens. It doesn't move.

The correct action still appears to be set in the mouse modifier preferences (I've only had Reaper for a couple of weeks and haven't changed anything like that).

I can drag them without Ctrl, but then the behaviour is different (moved is on the grid rather than taking the grid with it).

Makes no difference whether snapping is enabled or not.

RobertWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
RobertWebb

The answer seems to be that both the tempo marker and the previous tempo marker MUST be on bar lines for it to work.

That's pretty restrictive and I can't think why that restriction would be necessary. I'll report it in the bug forum too.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Currently I'm busy with tempo mapping a Foo Fighters song (Rope) to create a backing track (with click) for a coverband. The timing of the original is not so tight, so I am inserting tempo change markers and want to drag them in a way the grid is accurate with the timing...
A task like this should be pretty easily accomplished by using this mapping method instead of Kenny's:

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-16-2018 at 04:36 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
juliansader

AFAIK, Ctrl+drag and Ctrl+Alt+drag only work on square tempos, not linear ones.

The SWS action "Move closest grid line to mouse cursor" -- which is very similar to REAPER's Ctrl+Alt+leftdrag action -- does work on linear tempo changes, and can be linked to Ctrl+Alt+leftclick (or any other mouse modifier) in the Ruler context.

However, as you will see if you use the SWS action on linear tempos, any change will necessarily propagate through all preceding points until the start of the project, or until a square tempo is reached, causing far-reaching tempo changes. I assume this is the reason why REAPER's native action doesn't work on linear tempos.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
RobertWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
AFAIK, Ctrl+drag and Ctrl+Alt+drag only work on square tempos, not linear ones.

The SWS action "Move closest grid line to mouse cursor" -- which is very similar to REAPER's Ctrl+Alt+leftdrag action -- does work on linear tempo changes, and can be linked to Ctrl+Alt+leftclick (or any other mouse modifier) in the Ruler context.

However, as you will see if you use the SWS action on linear tempos, any change will necessarily propagate through all preceding points until the start of the project, or until a square tempo is reached, causing far-reaching tempo changes. I assume this is the reason why REAPER's native action doesn't work on linear tempos.
Yeah after a bit more playing I figured out exactly when it doesn't work. See my post in the bug forum here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211141

I was wrong about being on bar lines. See my other post for more details, but quickly, if you have tempo markers A, B & C, then you can only change C if the A-B section is linear.

Sounds like SWS doesn't do it right either. If the B-C section is linear, just change the tempo at C not B to get the required time length. No propagating back. This is almost always preferable anyway, eg if A-B is square and the tempo was continuous through B, then changing B breaks this and makes it discontinuous. And for no reason, just change C.

Makes sense to change the tempo of the marker being moved, not the previous one. The only time you should change the previous one is if the segment is square, so its tempo is only affected by B.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
hopi

seem to have no prob moving tempo markers either by dragging to point itself or by dragging the marker in the ruler... regardless of shape being square or linear... I can just drag them as I'd expect to
Old 09-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #18
RobertWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
seem to have no prob moving tempo markers either by dragging to point itself or by dragging the marker in the ruler... regardless of shape being square or linear... I can just drag them as I'd expect to
Are you holding down Ctrl? Yes they can be dragged without a modifier. This moves them to another beat. With Ctrl down as well, it drags the grid with it by changing the previous tempo.

With our A, B, C tempo markers, Ctrl-dragging C works if B-C is linear, but it won't function if A-B is linear.

And when B-C is linear, it should change the tempo at C not B.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #19
hopi

I was not holding control... just simple dragging of points and markers

I now see what you have been saying and yes... you are correct... perhaps a bug?