Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #401
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

I added basic support for BWF metadata injection in Vordio 4.7.2 when it transcodes video.

Now what would be really nice is if REAPER supported iXML as well as BEXT as you could squeeze a lot more interesting free form info into an iXML.

I'd like to be able to search REAPER DBs from something in the iXML.

At the moment the DB only uses info from BEXT. This file definitely has iXML.

Code:
FILE "/Users/john/Development/bugs/BWF/12Y03M24-002.WAV" 368359004 0 1473590870
DATA "d:sTAKE=002  sSWVER=1.2  sFILENAME=12Y03M24-002.WAV  sTAPE=120324  sTRK1=Mix L  sTRK2=Mix R  sNOTE=TC is Time Of Day  "

__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio

Last edited by mrlimbic; 09-11-2016 at 04:44 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #402
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Have you ever tried Vordio against AATranslator?
sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #403
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Have you ever tried Vordio against AATranslator?
What do you mean? I also use AAT occasionally.

Vordio is more post production focused, hence features like reconform, showing scene/take on audio items. It is also about avoiding OMF/AAF because FCPX doesn't export OMF/AAF anyway. Those formats make no sense for a non track based NLE. XML makes more sense for FCPX exports. REAPER items also work very much like FCPX items with channel modes, so a really good mapping is possible between audio in FCPX and REAPER.
__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio

Last edited by mrlimbic; 09-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 AM   #404
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Thanks.
sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #405
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
FR: Spectral + Export Analysis | Export Items/Clips as File | Area Selection
BTW I just noticed the "Export Items" FR in your signature. I think a script I recently wrote to batch export items may be of interest to you. It basically converts grouped items into regions so you can batch render them with both track and take FX on.

Here's a demo video.

https://vimeo.com/album/3294077/video/178488665
__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #406
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
BTW I just noticed the "Export Items" FR in your signature. I think a script I recently wrote to batch export items may be of interest to you. It basically converts grouped items into regions so you can batch render them with both track and take FX on.

Here's a demo video.

https://vimeo.com/album/3294077/video/178488665
Just seen it. Not exactly what I want but very intersting.
sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #407
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 57
Default

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...


I'd love auto-crossfades to work in Takes mode when punching over items and creating new Takes.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #408
doudar41
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Default Normalize selected blocks in context menu

"Normalize" feature of few selected files(blocks) in context menu. Like "Mute" feature. Possibility to turn it off and on. It is useful when you manage files with very different volume levels. Or it helps manually adjust volume of file if you need to raise it more then 6 db fast. You just separate loud and quite moments by split, then select them all and click normalize.

Thanks
doudar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #409
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

Don't forget the LOUDNESS normalize actions and the Loudness window from the SWS extension. You can place those actions in the context menu of items or anywhere else. Then there's toolbars or shortcuts.

You can normalize to either -23 LUFS or your own selected LUFS value.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #410
doudar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Default sorry, found it already)

I found this feature, read user guide and found it. Thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudar41 View Post
"Normalize" feature of few selected files(blocks) in context menu. Like "Mute" feature. Possibility to turn it off and on. It is useful when you manage files with very different volume levels. Or it helps manually adjust volume of file if you need to raise it more then 6 db fast. You just separate loud and quite moments by split, then select them all and click normalize.

Thanks
doudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #411
mgrimm
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Default Drag and Drop into Source Media tab copies files into Project Directory

*Request
Drag and Drop or adding media items to the Source Media tab of the Project bay has an option to COPY media items to project directory automatically.

* Benefit
This would allow for self contained sets of media items to be utilized in a project when your media library lives on external drives/servers. Allows for additional workflow to copy multiple files into your project from a sfx database (such as soundminer) without worrying about the external drive/server being disconnected AND without the need to manually copy all files to the project's local directory.

* Reason
Often times my workflow for sound design consists of finding batches of useful source material in Soundminer. Our sfx library and databases live on a remote server. Being able to copy multiple files to a Reaper project and have them accessible in the Source Media tab allows for me to see/preview all useful/relevant sounds to my current project. I can then search for new/different files in Soundminer AND not worry about my server disconnecting, losing my reference to media not in my local project media directory.

* Implementation Suggestion
Create a preference bool in the preferences to allow media items dragged into the Source Media tab to automatically copy into the Projects local media directory. Very similar to how adding media items to a TRACK (but NOT the Source Media tab in the Project Bay) allows for now.
__________________
mgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #412
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimm View Post
*Request
Drag and Drop or adding media items to the Source Media tab of the Project bay has an option to COPY media items to project directory automatically.
Or a "consolidate project" function that ensures you have all external media copied locally. NLEs do this and is really handy.
__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #413
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
Or a "consolidate project" function that ensures you have all external media copied locally. NLEs do this and is really handy.
Yeah. Currently what you have is,

  • Sort source files in project bay by path
  • Select all non-project local files you want to copy
  • Right-click on them and pick "copy to project directory"

It takes a few steps.

You can move stuff too, but maybe nobody wants that. It can be useful if you recorded to a couple of directories and want to move everything to a single directory at once. It'll fix all references too.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #414
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yeah. Currently what you have is,

  • Sort source files in project bay by path
  • Select all non-project local files you want to copy
  • Right-click on them and pick "copy to project directory"

It takes a few steps.

You can move stuff too, but maybe nobody wants that. It can be useful if you recorded to a couple of directories and want to move everything to a single directory at once. It'll fix all references too.
OK. So that could be a custom action to make it a single step. Excellent.

And yes I never want to move something. Too prone to mistakes!
__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #415
Megagoth1702
Human being with feelings
 
Megagoth1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I use this every day.

Setup the editor like the document says.

I have two custom actions that open up a copy or the source file itself in the RX editor.

Here it is:
Item: Open items in primary external editor
Item: Set selected media offline

and for copies (I use 32-bit floatingpoint WAV which can never clip and RX can process btw)

Item: Open item copies in primary external editor
Item: Set selected media offline
This works just fine. I have one shortcut to online the media again. I sometimes decrackle a small piece and bring it back in within 5 seconds that way.
Hmm, I built that custom action for me as well but the "overwrite original file" is still greyed out. If I tab back into REAPER I see the medias going from offline to online, so REAPER was not accessing them.

Weird.
__________________
Thank you and have a nice day! :)
Megagoth1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #416
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

You might want to check the Preferences if Reaper offlines stuff when the program is not in focus. I have automatic stuff like that turned off. Also check the file format. I use 32-bit floating point WAV files for copies.

I rarely use RX with items whose source is shared with some other items in the session. If that happens you may need to offline all items that share the same source. That might be slightly more complicated, depending on available actions.

If I want to edit a source file, I manually offline it first, then call the RX editor on it.

I have shortcuts setup to offline and online stuff. I usually online stuff manually when I jump back to Reaper. The item is still selected so that's pretty quick.

My most used sequence of events is:

Custom action:
Item: Open item copies in primary external editor
This will create a new source file from the selected item(s) for a new item take.

Item: Set selected media offline
Since the item is still selected this will offline the item and its source file.

Then RX either pops in to the foreground or because it sometimes doesn't, I have to task-switch. When I'm done editing...

RX: Save over original file (CTRL+ALT+S)
RX: Close (CTRL+W)

Jump back to Reaper

Custom action:
Item: Set selected media online
Peaks: Rebuild peaks for selected items
because Reaper doesn't do this by itself.
That's it really. In all there are four shortcuts for this workflow in Reaper.
  • Calling the primary editor on the selected items source file
  • Calling the primary editor on a copy of the selected items and offlining the selected items
  • Offlining selected media
  • Onlining selected media and rebuilding peaks


Often I do a quick decrackling pass on a copy and it takes a few second in all.

The only feature I'm jealous of in Protools is processing selected items with extra handles or even the entire source files. That produces copies of the files and it's inefficient in some places but it's pretty neat.

Reaper in contrast is excellent at just replacing source media for items across the session. You could open a source file in RX, save a NEW version of the file and then select all items in Reaper that had the original source file(easy via the project bay) and replace it with the newly edited version.

Give and take. Reaper also makes it way easier to replace entire sets of media with new versions at when you load a project.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom

Last edited by airon; 01-20-2017 at 12:16 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #417
Megagoth1702
Human being with feelings
 
Megagoth1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
[...]Also check the file format. I use 32-bit floating point WAV files for copies.[...]
That was it. I was using FLAC for renders-in-place etc. Using WAV -> solved. Kind of embarassing, this is a beginner mistake, heh. Thank you for the tip!
__________________
Thank you and have a nice day! :)
Megagoth1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 AM   #418
Reynaud
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 55
Default

How many here use BlackMagic Decklink or AJA Kona cards in their Post workflow?

Is there any intention to support these cards in Reaper for video playout to a digital cinema projector or 4K television?
Reynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #419
ausbaxter
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
You might want to check the Preferences if Reaper offlines stuff when the program is not in focus. I have automatic stuff like that turned off. Also check the file format. I use 32-bit floating point WAV files for copies.

I rarely use RX with items whose source is shared with some other items in the session. If that happens you may need to offline all items that share the same source. That might be slightly more complicated, depending on available actions.

If I want to edit a source file, I manually offline it first, then call the RX editor on it.

I have shortcuts setup to offline and online stuff. I usually online stuff manually when I jump back to Reaper. The item is still selected so that's pretty quick.

My most used sequence of events is:

Custom action:
Item: Open item copies in primary external editor
This will create a new source file from the selected item(s) for a new item take.

Item: Set selected media offline
Since the item is still selected this will offline the item and its source file.

Then RX either pops in to the foreground or because it sometimes doesn't, I have to task-switch. When I'm done editing...

RX: Save over original file (CTRL+ALT+S)
RX: Close (CTRL+W)

Jump back to Reaper

Custom action:
Item: Set selected media online
Peaks: Rebuild peaks for selected items
because Reaper doesn't do this by itself.
That's it really. In all there are four shortcuts for this workflow in Reaper.
  • Calling the primary editor on the selected items source file
  • Calling the primary editor on a copy of the selected items and offlining the selected items
  • Offlining selected media
  • Onlining selected media and rebuilding peaks


Often I do a quick decrackling pass on a copy and it takes a few second in all.

The only feature I'm jealous of in Protools is processing selected items with extra handles or even the entire source files. That produces copies of the files and it's inefficient in some places but it's pretty neat.

Reaper in contrast is excellent at just replacing source media for items across the session. You could open a source file in RX, save a NEW version of the file and then select all items in Reaper that had the original source file(easy via the project bay) and replace it with the newly edited version.

Give and take. Reaper also makes it way easier to replace entire sets of media with new versions at when you load a project.
Not sure if this will help streamline your RX workflow, what I do is use Reroute ASIO as RX's audio device, (have outputs as Reroute 15-16 or w/e) and make a track template in Reaper with Reroute 15-16 as its input. Record enable that track and as long as Reaper's audio device is not auto disabling in preferences RX will be monitored through Reaper. Very similar to the RX monitoring workflow in protools, should save you from opening and closing RX a ton and having to set your items offline/online.

Hope that Helps?
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 AM   #420
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

That's ok actually. Thanks for that tip however. I hadn't thought of that. I'll help to monitor through some fx.

Working with custom actions that offline, then call RX on a copy(or the original) , processing and coming back is so fast sometimes, it takes a few seconds to decrackle a take, and my hand never left the keyboard.

Btw, I just wrote a small script to change the selected track with a midi knob, if that's useful to you. I use it with an X-Touch Mini knob and sometimes one of those nice Midi Fighter Twisters.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #421
andyp24
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 98
Default

Off topic, I suppose, but has anyone else seen the announcement of the major audio Post upgrades in Da Vinci Resolve 14?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/...davinciresolve

Looks like an interesting swipe at the Pro Tools domination of audio post, given Resolves rapidly growing use.

For me, I'm hoping all the same editing modes for video (rippling from edges etc) are usable on audio but down to sample, rather than frame, precision. That's the one major thing missing from Reaper for me at the moment that stops me ditching SADiE altogether for audio work.

Thoughts?

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #422
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

I'm checking that out too. Some very decent audio capabilities for folks to use.

If professionals can work fast in this, it's an alternative. I do suppose it'll take some time before anyone wants to use this for features.

It has to improve upon established workflows, and overcome "I'm used to this"-fatigue. That won't be easy, but at least they have the technical stuff covered, if it's stable. I'm interested in how well the automation is integrated.

If all they're doing is selling their own control surfaces, people might just not care. Everyone already has gear. We'll see.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #423
andyp24
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 98
Default

One of the interesting thing it sells itself on is the collaborative editing so that different processes (Edit, Grade/VFX, Sound) can be simultaneous.

Whilst this sounds like a great idea, it's going to be interesting to see how it works in practice if a Sound Designer/Dubbing Mixer is working on the project and the picture editor makes a load of changes in the same project.....! Reconforming in a different system can be enough of a nightmare, but at least no-one can delete or really mess up stuff you worked on...

I agree about the hardware aspect.... it must be useable in practice without the Fairlight console and accelerator cards to gain market traction.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 AM   #424
jaklagratt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Hi,

One of the main missing feature for me, as a former ProTools user is the multi mono plug in management when I am working with surround sources.

Currently, when I need to process a surround file with my favorite eq (Fabfilter ProQ), the only way I found is to duplicate instance of my plug in and modify the I/O routing of the plug in. So for a 5.1 audio file, I have 3 EQ on my track,routed for L/R, C/Lfe, Lsrs. It is really painfull , but it works.

It could be great if Reaper could handle this in a better way.

Cheers

Mathieu
jaklagratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #425
Reynaud
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaklagratt View Post
So for a 5.1 audio file, I have 3 EQ on my track,routed for L/R, C/Lfe, Lsrs. It is really painfull , but it works.
Flux's EPure plugin, for example, processes up to 8 channels per instance, as do all the other Flux plugins. Quick to add an instance of EPure to an 8 channel track, or a single instance instance per mono track, as required.

Seems your issue is due to the limitations of ProQ, rather than they way Reaper necessarily handles plugin management.

Perhaps I misunderstand your workflow here.
Reynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #426
jaklagratt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Hi Reynaud,

I agree with you and I love Flux's plug in. But I can't afford it for my personnal work, and I think it could be great if we can easily use all the native plug in from Cockos or any third party plug-in which doesn't support multichannel.

There is not a lot of true multichannel plug in like Flux on the market, that's why I think it could be a great feature to add.
jaklagratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #427
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

It's certainly an issue.

I'll also want to link the controls of those multiple instances. Quite a lot of work, as every user has to do this themselves too, for every plugin.

One way is to keep a ready-made set of such plugins in a track template, which can include parameter activation and arming states too.

Then Copy (with automation or without, pick the right command) the plugin set from the track template track to the target track.

I hope this works, because I have not tried it yet. I'm only worried about the linking of parameters. It is a workaround in any case of course.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #428
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings
 
mrlimbic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
One of the interesting thing it sells itself on is the collaborative editing so that different processes (Edit, Grade/VFX, Sound) can be simultaneous.

Whilst this sounds like a great idea, it's going to be interesting to see how it works in practice if a Sound Designer/Dubbing Mixer is working on the project and the picture editor makes a load of changes in the same project.....! Reconforming in a different system can be enough of a nightmare, but at least no-one can delete or really mess up stuff you worked on...
I am curious about the approach they have chosen. Reconforming doesn't have to be as painful and destructive as it traditionally is. To do it well and non destructively you need to track and apply changes to individual items, not just copy and paste block regions which just destroys edge work and overlaps.

My reconform tool for REAPER can be very non destructive because it can store tracking IDs in reaper item notes. This means it can move, stretch, mute items individually without ever cutting items or destroying work done on prelaps etc like the usual methods for other DAWs. It shouldn't matter if the changes overlap but most DAWs are too inflexible to use an item-based method. They don't have anywhere you can store tracking info per item in most DAWs.

Considering Black Magic have control over the internals they could implement tracking metadata for every item. I wonder if they have done that or they just stuck to using a traditional region based algorithm like most tools do (Usually a variation on Tichy's algorithm from the 80s).

My reconform algorithm doesn't care about overlapping items or regions but I can't apply that method to other DAWs as there are no item notes to dump arbitrary metadata in. Nuendo for instance stuck to the traditional method even though they did not have to and could have done something better.



__________________
Mac OS X 10.11.x, Motu Ultralite, Reaper, FCP X.
http://vordio.net
http://twitter.com/vordio
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #429
Ice
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
"Hi,

One of the main missing feature for me, as a former ProTools user is the multi mono plug in management when I am working with surround sources.

Currently, when I need to process a surround file with my favorite eq (Fabfilter ProQ), the only way I found is to duplicate instance of my plug in and modify the I/O routing of the plug in. So for a 5.1 audio file, I have 3 EQ on my track,routed for L/R, C/Lfe, Lsrs. It is really painfull , but it works.

It could be great if Reaper could handle this in a better way.

Cheers

Mathieu "

100% agree. I've been using Reaper for 3 years and there is still no good workaround for this. There are scripts I've seen that sort of help, but the way PT loads up multiple instances and automatically links EVERY parameter, means PT wins this battle.

Yes there are things about the way Reaper CAN link and control (inverse, etc.) that are superior, but the practicality of having every parameter linked across instances is really the issue. And its not just Pro-Q. So many plugins have MANY dozens of parameters. Its just not practical to set them up and save them as chains. For 7.1 thats 4 stereo instances.

I've resorted to using plugins for surround like the Meldaproduction bundles but I'd much prefer to be free to choose any plugin.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #430
plush2
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 1,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
100% agree. I've been using Reaper for 3 years and there is still no good workaround for this. There are scripts I've seen that sort of help, but the way PT loads up multiple instances and automatically links EVERY parameter, means PT wins this battle.

Yes there are things about the way Reaper CAN link and control (inverse, etc.) that are superior, but the practicality of having every parameter linked across instances is really the issue. And its not just Pro-Q. So many plugins have MANY dozens of parameters. Its just not practical to set them up and save them as chains. For 7.1 thats 4 stereo instances.

I've resorted to using plugins for surround like the Meldaproduction bundles but I'd much prefer to be free to choose any plugin.
Agreed. I also use Melda for this reason and like them as a comprehensive toolkit but there are always times something else might be preferable. I think the limitation is more to do with VST than with Reaper. Perhaps an internally 'linked' version could be instantiated that only shows one interface for 2 or more instances of the same plugin. Some efficiency is bound to be lost but it could work.
__________________
mymusic - http://music.darylpierce.com
mywork - http://production.darylpierce.com
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #431
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings
 
DaveKeehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,066
Default

Holy crap how did I not see this thread before??? I didn't know about Vordio, so cool!!!
__________________
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClI...NKp8d-lsUKRu2Q
REAPER Contest Administrator: https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #432
jfbsauve
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Default Synchonize Sound to Picture, Sync (snap) point

Hi, I'm very new to Reaper. I'm a post-production sound effect editor/ sound designer working on pro tools for too many years. I really would like to get rid of pro tools (which is not easy because I feel like I'll have to convince a whole industry to follow me) But I really Reaper could be next leader SAW for post-prod! Obviously, like any others software transition, there's always THE question that comes for almost every operation I'm trying to do;

How can I do that?

The first thing that comes to my mind is the basic operation that a sound editor does hundreds times a day: sync a sound to picture! So the best way i've found on protools to do it is to make a sync point to the sound, locate the frame on the picture where I want that sync point and paste the clip using a keyboard shortcut that will paste my sync point to that frame...

For now, the way I found to reproduce that same operation with Reaper is to change the snap offset of a clip...

It works, but maybe neither of those ways are the most effective.

Here's the way I really would like to do it;
Copy or cut sound at a certain point in the clip using a modifier key (under edit or mouse cursor)
and paste that same point over my picture...

Does it make sense? Would it be be possible in the Reaper concept?
Is there any other better way (that already exist or not) to do it?

Thank you!
jfbsauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #433
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

Sure that's possible.

Pasting will always respect the sync point. It's your "item start" you might say.

Setting a sync point on an item under the mouse cursor is easy, and thus you simply do that before copying(or cutting).

To paste to a specific location, I position the edit cursor by holding down a key that places the edit cursor where the mouse cursor is. The picture follows if you tell it to in the Video preferences. Then paste and you're there.

Explore the action list, and ask questions. Lots of us here do post in Reaper.

I even deliver Protools sessions made from Reaper sessions with AATranslator. You just need to be aware what can travel back to PT, which isn't much, but enough for sound edits.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #434
jfbsauve
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks Airon,

By "sync point", do you mean "snap offset"?

Another thing I'm looking for (and I'm sure there's an easy way) is to"nudge" frame by frame in the timeline.
Thanks for the infos about AAtranslator... I will look at it for sure! I guess it create an AAF that can be import in protools?
jfbsauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #435
plush2
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 1,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbsauve View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is the basic operation that a sound editor does hundreds times a day: sync a sound to picture! So the best way i've found on protools to do it is to make a sync point to the sound, locate the frame on the picture where I want that sync point and paste the clip using a keyboard shortcut that will paste my sync point to that frame...

For now, the way I found to reproduce that same operation with Reaper is to change the snap offset of a clip...

It works, but maybe neither of those ways are the most effective.

Here's the way I really would like to do it;
Copy or cut sound at a certain point in the clip using a modifier key (under edit or mouse cursor)
and paste that same point over my picture...

Does it make sense? Would it be be possible in the Reaper concept?
Is there any other better way (that already exist or not) to do it?

Thank you!
First of all welcome to the Reaper community!

It seems to me that you use command focus hotkeys and (un)link timeline and edit selection (shift + /) in PT to position to video frame. Either that or you use sync points and the playhead with no selection. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

The bad news, as you know is that Reaper does not do linked timeline and edit selections by default. The good news is that frees you up to use the playhead as a video frame target like one would using (un)link timeline and edit selection in PT without the extra step.

Find the frame you are placing the sound to using the playhead (I mapped < and > to "move cursor right/left to grid division") then select the sound from the timeline, media explorer or project browser and insert it somehow (I have H, J and K mapped to custom actions that Airon created actually to move the item under the mouse cursors start, snap offset and end to playhead).

The more mouse oriented options are actually better as well. Reaper can be configured to show the corresponding video frame for the selected item snap offset while dragging. Preferences - Media - Video/REX/Misc - check Video window follows edits and select what you want it to follow. Not to mention simple things like the item peak shows while dragging (I know they've added it in 12 but still...) and because the playhead does not get repositioned with the selection you can use that as a target to drag that snap offset or item edge to.

I think most of us PT familiar users have mapped most of that command focus hotkey set over and then modified from there. One of my favourite little differences is using A and S to trim items actually allows for lengthening as well as shortening (Xenakios/SWS: Trim/untrim item right/left edge to edit cursor).

Have fun configuring!
__________________
mymusic - http://music.darylpierce.com
mywork - http://production.darylpierce.com
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #436
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 9,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbsauve View Post
Thanks Airon,

By "sync point", do you mean "snap offset"?

Another thing I'm looking for (and I'm sure there's an easy way) is to"nudge" frame by frame in the timeline.
Thanks for the infos about AAtranslator... I will look at it for sure! I guess it create an AAF that can be import in protools?
Yeah that nudging is pretty easy too, though moving things and moving the edit cursor are two different things.

Reaper almost hides the goodies here. The Nudge window gets you the stuff you want to do, but you also have 8 slots to save a configuration in. You have two actions per slot, one to do the thing left and one to do the thing right, just like those two buttons on the Nudge window.

Saving a Nudge window setup to a slot requires triggering actions, so keep the action window open. You can also loads settings to see what they do in the Nudge window, but you don't have to do that to use the slot.

One thing Reaper does not have is nudging by SMPTE timecode. Frames, yes, complete SMPTE timecode no. It should not be a problem, though it might be if you can't use Vordio to conform to a new cut.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #437
jfbsauve
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
Reaper seems to really powerful and flexible!
I have so much to learn with it!
Thanks
jfbsauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #438
Kiddo
Human being with feelings
 
Kiddo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34
Default Task View compatibility in reaper request in win 10

Not sure if this is right place but here goes.
Would it be possible to have reaper to display vst's , docker,views eplorers etc in task views of win 10. this is possible with bridged vst's only. native and others don't do this sadly.
You could for example have your main reaper window on win 1
your vst;s on win 2 or more.
media explorer on win 3.
a different say mixer view on win 4
Undo states on win 5 etc
This would speed up the use of reaper a lot.
you could just switch to each task view when needed, i know this will probably impact on the processor a bit but would be worth it.
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #439
nicklear
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
How many here use BlackMagic Decklink or AJA Kona cards in their Post workflow?

Is there any intention to support these cards in Reaper for video playout to a digital cinema projector or 4K television?
+1 for Decklink mini support for the video window, would be fantastic.
nicklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #440
CarlCarlson
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Default Render to File Window

I've got a suggestion for a slight improvement

When rendering an album you can only see the output level for a certain amount of tracks. I believe it lists max 12 tracks. If track 13 is clipping you can't see it and the full track names are partially outside of the render window also.
I've got no clue of programming but I'd guess a more flexible window for "rendering" would make a minor improvement.
CarlCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.