Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
kurt1111
Human being with feelings

Anyone have an idea how to turn the claims of post 27 and 36 into a usable arranged track?
kurt1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #42
poehmsen

Could the Region Manager be augmented to add the ability to rearrange or repeat sections? I just saw a cool way of building songs with "blocks" in Reason 6. http://line6.com/propellerhead/movies.html

For writing songs, it would be great to record one verse, one chorus, one bridge, and have Region manager sequence the parts. It would be a cool scratchpad for writing lyrics or deciding whether to do a guitar solo over the verse progression or chorus progression, etc.
poehmsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
kurt1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehmsen View Post
Could the Region Manager be augmented to add the ability to rearrange or repeat sections? I just saw a cool way of building songs with "blocks" in Reason 6. http://line6.com/propellerhead/movies.html

For writing songs, it would be great to record one verse, one chorus, one bridge, and have Region manager sequence the parts. It would be a cool scratchpad for writing lyrics or deciding whether to do a guitar solo over the verse progression or chorus progression, etc.
Yes region manager could easily be used for that. Justin would just need to add a few actions, it would be an easy temporary fix until we either get an arranger track editor or the region manager gets expanded to handle the task on par or better than competing DAWs.

Yes, the video explains the concept well, it got me thinking, a list of what this feature is called in competing DAWs would be handy.

Cubase: arranger track
Reason: blocks

Feel free to add to the list.
kurt1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #44
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt1111 View Post
Yes region manager could easily be used for that. Justin would just need to add a few actions, it would be an easy temporary fix until we either get an arranger track editor or the region manager gets expanded to handle the task on par or better than competing DAWs.

Yes, the video explains the concept well, it got me thinking, a list of what this feature is called in competing DAWs would be handy.

Cubase: arranger track
Reason: blocks

Feel free to add to the list.
Is there any development regarding this feature?
I know we have playtime and region playlist. But do we have something yet that can actually function as a track that can maybe control the playback of another project?
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #45
ivansc

I gave up on this whole thing years ago.

I think the things that have been suggested here are like many other failed FRs.
Unless the *folks reading about them REALLY get how it works, they are not going to see the true significance of what is being requested,

For my specific needs, it would cut down track authoring time to a tiny fraction of the plodding thing that it is currently, but convincing the *devs to actually look seriously at it seems to be more than I am able to do...

EDIT: Just went and watched a video or two on the Cubase arranger track and even that is a pale imitation of how Bars n Pipes Pro does it!
Maybe I am asking too much.

In BPP you have a row along the top of the tcp where you can select a certain area and call it, for instance, into, then another and call it verse, another as chorus.
When you open the arranger, it shows every track you have as a single square block for every bar. To create an arrangement, you simply select (lasso) the "intro" area and paste it into the arranger. The intro now shows up as a vertical line of blocks, one for each instrument track, and of course its width is however many bars your intro covers. Do the same with verses chorus etc and then it is a case of copy and paste IN THE ARRANGER to build your whole composition. Once I have ONE verse and ONE chorus I can usually build a whole song in under thirty seconds using this method. Plus of course you can duck in and out any instruments you don't need in one particular iteration of a section.
Why cant we have something like that? Takes seconds to change your mind and//or try different running order of the clips, too.

Last edited by ivansc; 11-29-2016 at 01:40 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #46
Xorcist

Default Song Mode (Arranger Track)

So +1 for me too and late to the party BUT this functionality was first debuted in Dr. T's OMEGA of which I was a beta tester and it was revolutionary. CUBASE then copied this idea followed last by MOTU's Digital Performer. Going back to OMEGA can answer some of the questions here as to "What IF?" like, "What IF I have drum tracks?", "What IF I don't want to transpose something, OR DO?", etc....

While I admittedly never used Cubase, I have used DP and Omega was better. It actually had a moving time line in it's "Song Mode" (DP doesn't) and treated your "sequences" as "blocks" you could place anywhere on a master page which had it's own tempo/time signature or like DP, you could inject a new one.

The "Song Mode" also had a set of rules like which items to never transpose, etc. but then you could take a sequence, drop it in song mode WHEREVER, and then transpose it however you wanted, etc. -

Another cool thing about OMEGA was you could get a groove going in SONG MODE with a stack of sequences, select the range and "Render to a new sequence" to clean things up, etc.

So Reaper is ALMOST there... would be great if this got implemented!
Xorcist is offline   Reply With Quote