Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default how to trigger reaper playstart on beat with external source?

certain VSTs make my REAPER projects take longer to play after triggering the play action. however, in live use, i have to beatmatch REAPER projects with media from other sources.

does anyone have any suggestions for handling play latency while beatmatching REAPER playback to external source media?
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Don't use plugs with latency!

Else, learn to "play ahead of the beat".
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
mccrabney

1- that may not be an option.

2- different projects have different latency so it's not a predictable delay.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
mccrabney

no suggestions?
must every live REAPER project start and end with ambient noise so that smoother transitions can be made?

i would be content with a looped section before the project media starts which could be played and then somehow start-synced manually via taps (ala tap tempo) w/ external media

Last edited by mccrabney; 06-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
mschnell

The plugins dictates the DAW the latency they need to introduce. You can set reaper to ignore this, but with that the tracks will be out of sync.

With certain plugs - such as ReaVerb - you can set a low and/or zero latency mode (which will eat more CPU).

Of course you need an appropriately powerful PC to allow for low latency without bad effects in a live situation.

-Michael
Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
mccrabney

my laptop is about as powerful as one could buy.

i fully anticipate that the playstart itself will not be as realtime as "hit the PLAY button on the downbeat and reaper starts immediately" even though software like Ableton Live purports to do that. that's not a problem

what i'd like is something that would at least start playing inside a short looped time selection before the project content starts that i could silently and manually sync to the external content ala tap tempo, and then remove the loop selection to begin the project.

ie:

[______]~~~~~~~~~

meanwhile dropping in a REAPER project to an external beat is not an option unless i'm not using my typical FX set. instead i'm leading/concluding these multisong live projects with filtering ins/outs, ambient noise rises and falls, and straight up cold start/ends that rely on quick switches to external sampler trigger noises in order to maintain the flow.

i've long since accepted that i'm going to have to bully REAPER into being a live electronic music performance tool, so workarounds are just fine.