Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
Ricciardo
Human being with feelings

Default WHY THE F#$# you hidden the theme editor in the menu???

Seriously...

WHY????

ITS STUPID... why the f%$>%!!!!!!

PUT IT BACK AGAIN IN REAPER DEFAULT MENU... if people want to remove it, then make people remove it, but let it be there by default ffs
Ricciardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Don't expect this to change. Theming is now separate from Reaper preferences, and for good reason too.

You'll get used to it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #3
DarkStar

Meanwhile:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169454
Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
Pet

The reason is afaik that theming is s.th. an average user doesn't use normally or cares about. Therefore it was removed.

I read this somewhere here in the forums, but can't remember where. Found it, added post #19
Just follow DarkStar's link.

Last edited by Pet; 06-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
lowellben

Theming and theme editing in Reaper moving forward seems to favor the power user and not the casual user. So, hopefully you won't ever want to change much about the theme. Just say thank you and and be grateful
[jk]
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
esosotericmetal

Just make a 'theme development' toolbar.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
sightlessness

I fkcing hate the change too. It's not intuitive at all to search something within the action list window... at least theme editing NOT AT ALL. I know it won't be changed back, still.... I FCKING HATE THIS CHANGE WTF... lol
Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #8
EvilDragon

So add it in a menu. Or toolbar. Job done.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #9
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
i think it's good , that it's hidden, theming is not needed to common user. if i was a developer i would minimize it even more, i would created most necessary tools to average user and leaved only them, everything else in actions.
And what's a problem with it, just add shortcuts and bussiness is done!)
for example i use this:
Num5: Refresh theme (custom action)
Ctrl+Num5: Next theme
Alt+Num5: Theme tweak window
Alt+Ctrl+Num5: Theme element finder
Don't see a problem
But you need editor to even change basic background and increase contrast a bit. I found that medium gray text on darker gray was just a bit hard to read - like for markers and ruler etc.

I also want markers to come through clearly.

This was 2010 with first Reaper I had hands on. And still is and I had to find it to make MyDefaultReaper5 theme.

But once you found in manual how to reach it - there is no problem really.

But I think it could be as a button in Screensets/Layouts. There you can set a Theme and a EDIT-button could edit theme - right beside the now chosen theme.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricciardo View Post
Seriously.... why the f%$>%!!!!!! are people so STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
action list, key command, toolbar icon... what more does anyone need?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Tomm

Some basic options exposed to normal users would be nice though, like contrast, line thickness/color, color saturation, etc... there's a reason these sorts of options are available in other DAWs. Downloading and installing new themes is a bit of a mess and rather overkill when you only really need some slight adjustments.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Some basic options exposed to normal users would be nice though, like contrast, line thickness/color, color saturation, etc... there's a reason these sorts of options are available in other DAWs. Downloading and installing new themes is a bit of a mess and rather overkill when you only really need some slight adjustments.
Been barking up that tree a long while. Pretty much nobody else feels that way. Sad.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So add it in a menu. Or toolbar. Job done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
action list, key command, toolbar icon... what more does anyone need?
Totally agree.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
Tomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
for good reason
What was the reason, and why not bury the other features that 90% of users don't use or care about?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
dub tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
What was the reason
Probably so that you could call it with an action/toolbar/hotkey instead of digging it up in the preferences window This also sort of fits Reaper's semi-modular paradigm which appeals to quite a bit of users.

Also, I dunno about you, but opening preferences here on my end closes audio/midi devices entirely, which seems a bit unnecessary if I'm just changing a color or something, and also means I have to stop playback, so I can't see how my theme is behaving in action while tweaking it.

Last edited by dub tree; 06-20-2017 at 02:07 PM.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
Tomm

^ that wasn't my question... adding the opening of the window as an action doesn't mean it can't also exist in the original place

it's not a big deal either way, just a little strange what they chose to clutter the ui with
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #17
dub tree

ED said "Theming is now separate from Reaper preferences, and for good reason too."

You said "What was the reason"

So I ventured a few guesses based on my own experiences. As for the second part of your question, the answer is in the flexibility. What's there in the menus by default is somewhat arbitrary. Luckily, you can change it, as many have already pointed out in this thread. They've given you the tools and instructions to address the issue... isn't that enough? For some users, this level of customization is a boon rather than an annoyance. And even if it is an annoyance, just a little bit of legwork up front can take care of it, once and for all.

I don't expect my software to know what I'm thinking without me even having to spend a few hours telling it what I want it to do. If I didn't want a little bit of DIY in my DAW, I wouldn't use Reaper. Luckily, we are spoiled with choices. But the flexibility of it was one of the biggest selling points for me, even if it meant having to spend a bit of time learning the inner workings.

Considering they already found a new place for the theme editor, I'd say that also leaving it in its old place would be considered unnecessary clutter.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Pet

From thread "Why is the Theme Editor not in Preferences anymore?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Because it was causing confusion. Theme settings aren't an ini-style preference like the others, some users had the understandable expectation that changes they made there would persist when they changed theme. Moreover, that editor is no longer as transparent in its operation as other preferences, since its settings can be (and often are) overridden by WALTER.

An argument could be made for a persistent preference set that would present itself there, where the user would set things like 'I always want my transport centered, on any theme' or 'I have a colour blindness' or 'I always want to see this custom colour set'. That's not something that we have, but more importantly if it did exist it would be clearly be unrelated to the current theme editor.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
Tomm

Thanks Pet, that makes a little more sense. As for persistence of settings, that is another topic but it's not very consistent throughout the program. Setting grid spacing, for example, is per-project it seems, which seems like it should either be preferences so it persists, or defined in a theme.

Yes, there are options to get around almost any annoyance in REAPER (I've spent days worth of time customizing/scripting), that doesn't mean it's the best solution. Many things feel like layers of band-aids over layers of old still-open wounds. Like White Tie said though, some of those basic theme-ing features that once were but now buried in with all the other advanced-user settings would probably just exist in a separate place now in preferences, which I guess is a fine thought, but probably not something anyone should expect because of the "it's good enough, move on" attitude...

Last edited by Tomm; 06-21-2017 at 07:50 AM.