Old 06-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
BrianC
Human being with feelings

Default Record Audio only from Kontakt

If I open Kontakt as a standalone instance, all my StudioLive channels are available as separate outputs in Kontakt depending on outputs/Midi settings. Can I record each channel if I open a Reaper session without adding a Virtual instrument track ? I already went through the steps to set up Midi and Audio from Kontakt in Reaper before but did not work as I wanted in StudioLive 24.4.2

Thank you
BrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
mschnell

It does not make much sense to use Kontakt stand alone with in combination with a DAW such as Reaper. You should use Kontakt as a plugin within Reaper. With close to all projects there are ways to do this (while rewiring "DAW-external audio sources within a computer is possible bus seems like a kind of emergency exit for very few instances).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
If I open Kontakt as a standalone instance, all my StudioLive channels are available as separate outputs in Kontakt depending on outputs/Midi settings. Can I record each channel if I open a Reaper session without adding a Virtual instrument track ? I already went through the steps to set up Midi and Audio from Kontakt in Reaper before but did not work as I wanted in StudioLive 24.4.2
Hi Brian, and welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused about what you're asking, could you explain what you mean when you say, "all my StudioLive channels are available as separate outputs in Kontakt depending on outputs/Midi settings"?

I assume StudioLive is an outboard mixer of some kind?

If you've successfully got midi going from Reaper to Kontakt, and also have Kontakt's outputs going to separate inputs in StudioLive, then you should be able to set up to record the outputs from studio live, which you would need to do to get the outputs of StudioLive into Reaper.

Could you explain in more detail what you're trying to do?

Michael"s right about using Kontakt as a VSTi in Reaper, but it appears you don't want to do that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
BrianC

Default More Details

Yes Studio Live is the Presonus mixer which has FW returns on each channel.

Want to route each input from Kontakt to separate channels on the mixer, which I have done using Kontakt as a Virtual Instrument track(s) in Reaper however could not get them to be on separate audio as well, midi was fine. When I did it with Kontakt as a standalone, each channel routed to the mixer separately and I could choose via the Firewire returns on the mixer per channel, so I thought if I could record each of these in Reaper.....
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
BrianC

Default Got this to work via Sonar

In my Sonar DAW, got this to work as expected, separate Midi and Audio with each routed to stereo pairs on Firewire mixer, now if only Reaper worked.....
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
In my Sonar DAW, got this to work as expected, separate Midi and Audio with each routed to stereo pairs on Firewire mixer, now if only Reaper worked.....
Hi again Brian, I'm still not sure of your setup? Do you have totally separate midi tracks, as well as separate audio tracks for Kontakt?

If you do it should be simple unless you can't see your interface in Reaper. Are you using ASIO for your interface?

If you don't have separate Kontakt outputs, check out "Kontakt Outputs Vid" below in my signature.

Also, keep in mind you can access all your interface "Hardware Outputs" on each track with Reaper's Routing.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote