Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
Jo K
Human being with feelings

Default Zebra 2- No Input

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying Zebra 2, and downloaded the demo to try before committing. Thing is, I can't get Zebra or Zebralette to receive an input when loaded in Reaper. I've tried loading them as VSTi and VST3i, played with various input/output settings, restarted the MIDI device, uninstalled/reinstalled the Zebra demo, and tried inputting using the virtual MIDI keyboard; still nothing.

Not really sure what's going on, as the Play plugin for East West is reading input fine, so it doesn't look like a setup problem. Zebra is also working perfectly in FL Studio (though obviously, that's not as good as it working perfectly in Reaper!)

Any thoughts would be really thankfully received. It seems like a fantastic synth, and I'd love to get it working.

Thanks.
Jo K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
ivansc

What are you using as a MIDI input device to reaper? Have you selected and enabled it in Options/preferences/MIDI devices?

Oh and welcome to the forums! You will find the free User Guide and free Video Tutorials mentioned at the top of this webpage an invaluable resource.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
Jo K

Thanks for getting back to me! Using a digital piano as input, as mentioned above it's enabled correctly as Play and other VSTs are receiving signal.

Thanks for the welcome, too! I've been using the forums as a resource for ages, but never had anything insightful to say compared to all the Reaper Wizards on here ^_^
Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Jo K

Ok, just fixed it- in case anyone else has the same problem, here's the solution!

I'd been creating a new track, then adding Zebra as a VST on said track. That way round, no input.

However: Insert/Virtual Instrument On New Track/Zebra, and suddenly, there's input and Zebra is working fine!

Strange bug but an easy fix in the end
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo K View Post

I'd been creating a new track, then adding Zebra as a VST on said track. That way round, no input.
^Should still work, were you record arming and enabling input monitoring when doing it this way?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
Jo K

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
^Should still work, were you record arming and enabling input monitoring when doing it this way?
Yep. Exactly the same.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Yep. Exactly the same.
I never used nor have had to use insert > VST for Zebra or any other VST (all it does is a couple manual steps for you such as record arming and setting the input to "All Midi Channels") so something is unknown here.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Gerry P

If I use the Insert Virtual Instrument, the Record Arm button is activated automatically.

If I create a new track and then insert a vst into it, I have to manually Arm Record the track to hear the input.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
ivansc

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me! Using a digital piano as input, as mentioned above it's enabled correctly as Play and other VSTs are receiving signal.
So much easier to right button and select "insert virtual instrument on new track" than doing it all manually... (grin) like I said, RTFM!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So much easier to right button and select "insert virtual instrument on new track" than doing it all manually... (grin) like I said, RTFM!

That clicking two whole buttons just eats away my day. I do agree though, I'm just so damn used to adding the VST and clicking record arm/choose input that undoing that to choose the insert options takes more time. It's even faster than reading through my list of track templates I took the time to create but never end up using.