Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #41
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Unfortunately, this didn't help a bit, in fact, as I raised the value it worsened. The ranges became much more varied and unmanageable. Maybe scaling will help.
Bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Somehow we missed that connection... I have mine set so the play button is "Play/Pause" and the stop button is "stop". (Just as I like it) my files have those changes along with removing the master pan knob.
I'm slightly confused now... because they still seem to be switched around in the files you last posted. Easy enough to change, though. And I now do see where this comes from, in that "StudioMix Jitter Eater.rtf" document:
Quote:
Play 6003 <--|
Stop 6002 <--| Notice this transposition! This doesn't match the layout on StudioMix.
So, do *we* agree to disagree with this design, and simply use play for play, and stop for stop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Is it possible to assign a keyboard key to change banks so as to not lose a knob or pair of buttons? Assigning knobs without feedback could get very confusing, that's why I thought maybe upon selecting a track and touching a knob could also trigger the FX GUI.
Well, imho, without feedback, things will get somewhat annoying and/or confusing in any case. (the 'value jumping' problem would not be fixed by seeing such parameter value 'jumps' on a GUI - it's just less confusing.)

For opening/closing effect GUI windows, there's this OSC 'action description':
Code:
FX_OPEN_UI b/fx/openui b/fx/@/openui b/track/@/fx/@/openui
This can be used to 'automate' some behavior. And there are a few actions related to the 'last touched' effect or track, which are also useful to create something like you suggest. For example, assigning a button to open/close the GUI of the last touched effect is quite easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
I like the idea of having all 10 knobs assigned to specific FX parameters that are switchable with track banking.
example:
Track 1-8 have EQ (4 knobs), COMP (2 knobs), REVERB (2 knobs)
by selecting track 1 and touching knob 1 opens the EQ GUI, or selecting track 1 and pressing a keyboard hot key brings up the EQ GUI so when the knob is turned you can see exactly what's going on. This would be amazing instead of doing it blind or clicking around to bring the GUI.
I don't know if OSCII-bot can catch computer keyboard keys at all, but I guess it can't (but you can set up keyboard shortcuts in REAPER to open/close the UI for FX#1-8 on the last touched track). MIDI notes from a MIDI keyboard would be quite simple, though. (We'd need to add another MIDI input, of course.)

Also, note that track banking and effect parameter banking are two related but analytically separate things. If you have e.g. a bank of 8 parameters, they are for 8 adjacent parameter numbers in one effect.

If you want to use a fixed set of specific effect parameters, you'll have to ensure that all tracks in every project have these effects, and that they are in the same effect slot. In other words, this would not "just work", but require some additional configuration of your REAPER project(s).

The exception here is EQ, though: for ReaEQ, there is a set of dedicated 'action descriptions', and you can have REAPER insert an instance of ReaEQ on automatically if you try to target its parameters on a track that doesn't yet have one. Imho, these effect-specific 'action descriptions' are less than ideal, but we may be able to do something useful enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
I hope there's something that can be done regarding fader jitter/creep... it's kind of a deal breaker. I am totally impressed with the concepts and am ready to continue plugging away. I am going to have a swing at the Jog and shuttle wheels.
I look forward to your responses.

I found this, not sure if the info might shed some light on jitter correction.
http://www.n2nproductions.com/studio...er%20Eater.rtf
If this is known to work, perhaps we can do something similar. I'll have a look...
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #42
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

New version (v0.3) of the StudioMix+REAPER.txt script is up (same URL as before).

Start/stop switched back to normal. And it now should have forward/rewind on the Jog Wheel. This version sends OSC messages for the 'freely assignable' knobs, please test this a bit with the 'learn' feature in REAPER.

Also, re: the Shuttle Wheel => Scrub: the way this works can be configured in REAPER's Preferences > Audio > Playback > Scrub/jog settings. I don't use these features much myself, though. Please experiment a bit with these and see if that improves the behavior.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ

Last edited by Banned; 04-05-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: fixed URL
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #43
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Yes, i did. I've just re-downloaded it, just to be sure. But i have no better results. This time I noticed a
"unknown action "DEVICE_MARKER_COUNT"on line 19" error message as i selected the OSCII-Bot+StudioMix pattern in the CS parameter window.
Maybe i didn't pay attention or didn't see it this morning.
I apologize about that. I suppose it may be the cause of the misfunctioning...(?)
What version of REAPER are you using? I think the marker stuff has been added quite recently. And if the config fails to load, that would explain things not working as expected. Try installing the latest version of REAPER, if you haven't yet?
I edited the OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC file a bit, commenting out those lines. That should also work for older versions of REAPER.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #44
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
New version (v0.3) of the StudioMix+REAPER.txt script is up (same URL as before).
This is the same osc file not the new StudioMix+REAPER.txt
unless I missed something.
Please advise. TIA

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #45
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Banned,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I'm slightly confused now... because they still seem to be switched around in the files you last posted. Easy enough to change, though. And I now do see where this comes from, in that "StudioMix Jitter Eater.rtf" document:
Quote:
Play 6003 <--|
Stop 6002 <--| Notice this transposition! This doesn't match the layout on StudioMix.
So, do *we* agree to disagree with this design, and simply use play for play, and stop for stop?
The NRPN numbers from the Doc's are incorrect.
Play/Pause is 6003
Stop is 6002
This is how I have it set up and it works perfectly.
Now we are on the same page

I am thinking/pondering the ideas for the FX GUI opening...

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Banned,

This is the same osc file not the new StudioMix+REAPER.txt
unless I missed something.
Please advise. TIA

N2N
I just double-checked, and re-uploaded to Dropbox just to be sure. Please check again.

You can confirm this is the same v0.3 file as what I have by searching for "rotary_assignable_step_size = 1/512;" (without quotes) - which wasn't in previous versions.

That's also the line where you tweak the sensitivity of the assignable knobs. I thought it would be convenient that you can configure it with a step size that is different from the pan controls. For example, set it to 1/128 to get the same resolution as you'd get from plain vanilla 7-bit CC#s. Or 1/16384 to get the same as with 14-bit CC# pairs. Etc.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #47
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Banned,

New version (v0.3) of the StudioMix+REAPER.txt
Link goes here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....ReaperOSC.zip

does not contain the StudioMix+REAPER.txt

Unless I am completely missing something.

N2N
Oh, oops - indeed, I pasted the wrong URL there. Fixed now, thanks.

Just to be clear: (apart from the IOTest.txt test script, that we can now discard), there are only two links, to only two files:

- A configuration file for an OSC Control Surface in REAPER: OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC;

- A script for OSCII-bot (v0.2): StudioMix+REAPER.txt.

I may replace the files with new versions but keep the same names/URLs.
The files are compressed to .zip format, so unpack after download.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #48
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Wink

ok.
I understand what happened. I should have kept in memory i have been working for quite a long time with a special config of reaper done by another user of this forum.
Of course this setup works with a standard config.
So i started all again with a standard config and i can confirm that everything is working properly now!
No more error message when i select your osc pattern...
Sorry about that too.
Thanks for your patience and attention.
I've found all your posts very informative and instructive.
Proud to be part of your flock (as says N2N)
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #49
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
ok.
I understand what happened. I should have kept in memory i have been working for quite a long time with a special config of reaper done by another user of this forum.
Of course this setup works with a standard config.
So i started all again with a standard config and i can confirm that everything is working properly now!
No more error message when i select your osc pattern...
Sorry about that too.
Thanks for your patience and attention.
I've found all your posts very informative and instructive.
Proud to be part of your flock (as says N2N)
Awesome. Proud to have a flock.

If you happen to find out which preferences/settings affect the performance or functionality of this setup, please note them here. That may help future users with their initial setup.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #50
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Hmm... I may have thought of a quick & dirty approach to avoid the 'fighting faders' issue altogether. As you noted yourself, as long as you don't select multiple tracks, things are fine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Bi-direction faders works smoothly until multiple tracks are selected at which point the faders start to jitter and change volume (usually up).
The same seems to go for jico27: track selection simply didn't work for him yet, and as a result, he didn't experience the issue.

Bottom line: the (multiple) track selection complicates things.

But, if you can give up the functionality of adjusting volume and pan settings for all selected using only one volume/pan control, then we're only using (multiple) track selection for the Mute and Solo buttons. (You don't need to select an individual track to control its volume or pan: you just move the dedicated controls for that track.)

In turn, these Solo and Mute functions currently depend on having one or more tracks selected. This means that you always need to press two buttons to (un)mute or (un)solo a track. We seem to be doing this only because there's 'only one button per track', in terms of the StudioMix panel layout, right? (If we would have had two buttons per track, we'd just have used one for toggling solo, another for mute.)

So, how about just avoiding track selection entirely, switching things around to a system of 'function selection' first, then point to tracks (rather than 'track selection' first, then pointing to functions)> You would then have to *hold down* the Mute OR Solo button, and then press the 'per track button' to toggle mute OR solo on that track.

The only other main downside I can see, so far, is ergonomical: it's more inconvenient to have to hold down one button while pushing another then to push two buttons in succession; I imagine you'd typically use two hands instead of one.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #51
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,
Thank you for the new v.03.
The top knobs for assignable work great. I haven't messed with the resolution yet as it seems to function as I like so far. Great to have options!
I have tried hot keying open/close FX UI #1 on last touched track... It kind of works... You have to continue touching the track to use the hot key. Too bad there's no action for "open/close FX UI #1 selected track" instead of "last touched". Not very useful as is.
The Jog wheel now works the way I like.
I am playing with different FX assignments atm.

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #52
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
[...] Too bad there's no action for "open/close FX UI #1 selected track" instead of "last touched". Not very useful as is. [...]
Not in REAPER's action list, perhaps, but using the OSC Control Surface, you'd just send a message like:
Code:
/fx/1/openui 1
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #53
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,
I have experimented with the knob resolution. So far the most usable is 1/200.

Not sure if I can give up track selection for jitter/creep. I may have to give up on feedback. It doesn't matter if I track select via StudioMix or mouse the same jitter/creep exists. Just clicking anywhere in the mcp or tcp will cause the faders to jitter/creep whether a track is selected or not. I can shoot a small video of the issue if you like so you can see the behavior.
Did the Jitter Eater code give you any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Not in REAPER's action list, perhaps, but using the OSC Control Surface, you'd just send a message like:
Code:
/fx/1/openui 1
I not sure how to add/experiment with this code.
Never the less, the FX GUI wasn't really the goal... I can live with it as it is now.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #54
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Banned,
I have experimented with the knob resolution. So far the most usable is 1/200.
Then I'd suggest trying 1/256 - which should not differ very much from 1/200. Note that quite often, effect/instrument parameters are calibrated for use with the most commonly used controller resolution, being 7-bit MIDI. The benefit of using a division of that resolution (such as 1/256, 1/384, 1/512, etc.), is that you can reach exactly the same values as with 7-bit CC#, but also have some additional steps between them for finer control.

But of course, use whatever works best for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Not sure if I can give up track selection for jitter/creep. I may have to give up on feedback. It doesn't matter if I track select via StudioMix or mouse the same jitter/creep exists. Just clicking anywhere in the mcp or tcp will cause the faders to jitter/creep whether a track is selected or not. I can shoot a small video of the issue if you like so you can see the behavior.
Did the Jitter Eater code give you any ideas?
Yeah, I can try to do exactly the same as described in that document you posted. Seems easy enough to implement.

I'm still curious, though: have you ever used that StudioMixMap product, and did it provide an adequate solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
I not sure how to add/experiment with this code.
Never the less, the FX GUI wasn't really the goal... I can live with it as it is now.
I'll try to make a demonstration of something like that. I definitely need to do some more experimenting... as I'm new to using OSCII-bot myself.

Note that what makes this sort of stuff complicated, is having to handle lots of corner cases and tedious bookkeeping - so you really need to think about the entire design, instead of mereley converting data back and forth.

For an example: when you would tweak parameter 1 of the effect in slot 1 of the last selected track (for example, track 1, with the current track bank being track 1 to 8), and the GUI of that effect would open automatically, then what should be done when you switch to the next bank of tracks? Should the window close? Should a window open for the effect in slot 1 of track 9 (i.e. track 1 in a track bank of tracks 9-16) - even if you haven't yet tweaked any parameter in that effect on that track? Etc.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #55
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I'm still curious, though: have you ever used that StudioMixMap product, and did it provide an adequate solution?
I have never used it. I used Cakewalk for years and the jitter and creep are minimal in my experience. The Jitter/creep now are unusable. In Sonar the creep would be about .08db, Reaper is all over the place at sometimes a 3db difference. I know the unit is working fine as I have a dual boot with Sonar running and StudioMix works perfectly (with little jitter and creep).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
For an example: when you would tweak parameter 1 of the effect in slot 1 of the last selected track (for example, track 1, with the current track bank being track 1 to 8), and the GUI of that effect would open automatically, then what should be done when you switch to the next bank of tracks? Should the window close? Should a window open for the effect in slot 1 of track 9 (i.e. track 1 in a track bank of tracks 9-16) - even if you haven't yet tweaked any parameter in that effect on that track? Etc.
I liked the keyboard shortcut the best, only thing is the hot key doesn't close the FX GUI until I touch the track again. IE. 1. touch track (via mouse), 2. hit hot key (FX GUI opens), 3. tweak param, 4. touch track (via mouse), 5. hit hot key (FX GUI closes). Now it seems it should work but anything touched after the track, the track needs to be touched again (silly). I was hoping that "track select" would be as if touched, but no luck.
Ideally:
1. Select track, 2. hit hot key to open FX GUI slot #1 (FX learn is set only when focused upon), 3. tweak param, 4. hit hot key to close FX GUI. (or just leave it opened. I have 3x monitors so I have plenty of screen real estate to span FX across. Only the hot key selected FX would be "on top" visible and ready to tweak.

The same knob can be used for multiple FX (as long as "Enable only when effect config is focused" is selected). Meaning, a MeldaEQ on every track can be selected separately via hot key and controlled by the same knob. I have experimented with this and it works but the hot key doesn't close the FX GUI until the track has been touched again. Kind of a bummer.

Again, this functionality is the least important. Bi-directional faders are the main focus for me. This will enable me to continue with my old faithful StudioMix. I use a Behringer BCF200 on my portable rig which works pretty good but I still favor the SM.

Cheers! and again your efforts are very kindly appreciated. I'm sorry if you feel like my gratitude is overkill but you overwhelm me with your diligence, kindness, patience and generosity!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #56
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

You were right about the version of reaper. The one i had worked with was 4.51
No more problems about markers stuff with the last version installed (4.61)
Thanks for having tweaked something for older versions, but i can't test this.
The misfunctioning was also due to the fact that this setup doesn't work well for me with customized configs of reaper like the one(s) i used (2). This is probably why only the chan sel, solo & mute sel buttons wouldn't work.
There are still some misfunctionings with these configs and the last version of reaper.

From now on, with the new standard config and version 4.61 installed, i can notice that :

- The behaviour of the cursor moved clockwise / counterclockwise has been bettered. Thanks for this.
one full action clockwise will move the cursor of let's say 2 measures and a half to the right, then releasing the knob adds about one more measure. Same thing happens when moved counterclockwise on the left side. Both ways now move with the same amount of measures on the timeline.

- The play button still doesn't work and the stop button can be used for play or stop alternatively.

- Erratic behaviour: If i select the tracks in reaper, the mute sel & solo sel buttons of the StudioMix will work ok and modify the right track.
At the contrary, if i select the tracks with the buttons of the StudioMix, the mute sel & solo sel buttons of the StudioMix will sometimes modify the wrong track - i.e. the previously selected track with the studioMix buttons.

Hope this helps.

I stay tuned. Please advise when you add new mods to your download link. TIA
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #57
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

A new version (0.4) of the StudioMix+REAPER.txt script is now up.

I have attempted to emulate the 'Magical Jitter Processor' code as explained in that StudioMix Jitter Eater.rtf document N2NPro posted. You should experiment by tweaking this value:
Code:
jitterDelta = 3;
I have no idea what values to try... On the (theoretical) scale of values from 0 to 16383, of course 3 is *very* small. In fact, I don't think the device *can* even make such small steps. At least try some different orders of magnitude, like 30, 300, 3000. Curious to hear if this helps!
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #58
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi jico27,
If you would like to share your OSCII text file with me, I will change the stop and play buttons to your satisfaction. I am happy to help you get it sorted.

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #59
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
- The play button still doesn't work and the stop button can be used for play or stop alternatively.
This is really weird - as they seem to work for N2NPro. Perhaps your button is broken (or really dirty...)? Can you test if it actually sends MIDI data, and if so, what exactly? (The raw MIDI bytes display in the left bottom corner of OSCII-bot should do fine for this.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
- Erratic behaviour: If i select the tracks in reaper, the mute sel & solo sel buttons of the StudioMix will work ok and modify the right track.
At the contrary, if i select the tracks with the buttons of the StudioMix, the mute sel & solo sel buttons of the StudioMix will sometimes modify the wrong track - i.e. the previously selected track with the studioMix buttons.
I will try to test this stuff a bit more extensively myself later. Just to be sure: the selection buttons are *toggles* - so they can also de-select tracks. This is not what you see happening, is it?
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #60
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi jico27,
If you would like to share your OSCII text file with me, I will change the stop and play buttons to your satisfaction. I am happy to help you get it sorted.

N2N
^^ New script kiddie on the block, getting the hang of The REAPER Way® already.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #61
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Played around with the FX assignments too.
They're quite efficient, but i think i agree with N2N's approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Banned,
...
Ideally:
1. Select track, 2. hit hot key to open FX GUI slot #1 (FX learn is set only when focused upon), 3. tweak param, 4. hit hot key to close FX GUI. (or just leave it opened. I have 3x monitors so I have plenty of screen real estate to span FX across. Only the hot key selected FX would be "on top" visible and ready to tweak.

The same knob can be used for multiple FX (as long as "Enable only when effect config is focused" is selected). Meaning, a MeldaEQ on every track can be selected separately via hot key and controlled by the same knob. I have experimented with this and it works but the hot key doesn't close the FX GUI until the track has been touched again. Kind of a bummer.
...
N2N
Thanks for your efforts and the experiments you'll certainly make for us and the reaper community.

See you soon

jico27
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #62
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
^^ New script kiddie on the block, getting the hang of The REAPER Way® already.
Just trying to give back and take some weight off your shoulders. As I was able to accomplish that one on my own (after standing on your shoulders of course), I thought I could help a fellow SM'er out

I have tested the new 0.4 out:
The jitter correction relates to amount of fader volume, ie.
0= inf->+11.1db
8000= approx 50%->+11.1db
16383= no fader movement at all (no jitter either hahhaa)
increments in between 0-16383 changed the amount of fader volume range and jitter/creep but the trade off is less control over the full range of volume.
I am now wondering if scaling from inf->0db plus the jitter correction might improve it still??
Another note...
If the jitter eater changes the bottom range and leaves the top range unchanged (ie. +11.1db), is it possible to lower the top range using the Jitter Eater coding?? I don't need anything over 0db on any fader. Also the jitter/creeping seems to only go upward (ie. if I dbl clk a fader in Reaper, the creep goes above 0db, not below.
I looked the the code but it is beyond me... I only ask because you implemented into the OSCII-bot.text file seemingly effortless. I know, I know, everything is simple when you know how... Unfortunately I know very little

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.
Ever impressed!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #63
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
This is really weird - as they seem to work for N2NPro. Perhaps your button is broken (or really dirty...)? Can you test if it actually sends MIDI data, and if so, what exactly? (The raw MIDI bytes display in the left bottom corner of OSCII-bot should do fine for this.)
This is roughly what midiox is displaying when i press & release the play button :
DATA1 DATA2 EVENT
99 46 CC: NRPN MSB
98 115 CC: NRPN LSB
6 0 CC: Data entry MSB
38 1 CC: Data entry LSB
99 46 CC: NRPN MSB
98 115 CC: NRPN LSB
6 127 CC: Data entry MSB
38 127 CC: Data Entry LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I will try to test this stuff a bit more extensively myself later. Just to be sure: the selection buttons are *toggles* - so they can also de-select tracks. This is not what you see happening, is it?
No, it's not.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #64
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
This is roughly what midiox is displaying when i press & release the play button :
DATA1 DATA2 EVENT
99 46 CC: NRPN MSB
98 115 CC: NRPN LSB
6 0 CC: Data entry MSB
38 1 CC: Data entry LSB
99 46 CC: NRPN MSB
98 115 CC: NRPN LSB
6 127 CC: Data entry MSB
38 127 CC: Data Entry LSB
Hmm, that looks just fine indeed. As expected, that's NRPN 6003: MSB+LSB = (46 * 128) + 115 = 6003;
sending value 1 when depressed: MSB+LSB = (0 * 128) + 1 = ;
sending value 16383 when released: MSB+LSB = (127 * 128) + 127 = 16383.

Ok, next diagnostic test then: in REAPER's OSC Control Surface Settings window, click 'Listen...', then press the button again. Does REAPER see OSC messages coming in? You *should* see this every time you click the button:
Code:
/play []
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #65
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hmm, that looks just fine indeed. As expected, that's NRPN 6003: MSB+LSB = (46 * 128) + 115 = 6003;
sending value 1 when depressed: MSB+LSB = (0 * 128) + 1 = ;
sending value 16383 when released: MSB+LSB = (127 * 128) + 127 = 16383.

Ok, next diagnostic test then: in REAPER's OSC Control Surface Settings window, click 'Listen...', then press the button again. Does REAPER see OSC messages coming in? You *should* see this every time you click the button:
Code:
/play []
Obviously there is something wrong with this.
The code is /stop

N2N was talking of a wrong code assignment in the StudioMix doc.
The error is certainly related to that.
Can you correct the OSCII-Bot txt file consequently?
Or maybe i can share my txt file with N2N so that he can correct it as he offered it to me?
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #66
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Just trying to give back and take some weight off your shoulders. As I was able to accomplish that one on my own (after standing on your shoulders of course), I thought I could help a fellow SM'er out
Exactly. Learning by doing, sharing and giving back == The REAPER Way.® Good to see you like it, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
I have tested the new 0.4 out:
The jitter correction relates to amount of fader volume, ie.
0= inf->+11.1db
8000= approx 50%->+11.1db
16383= no fader movement at all (no jitter either hahhaa)
increments in between 0-16383 changed the amount of fader volume range and jitter/creep but the trade off is less control over the full range of volume.
I am now wondering if scaling from inf->0db plus the jitter correction might improve it still??
Another note...
If the jitter eater changes the bottom range and leaves the top range unchanged (ie. +11.1db), is it possible to lower the top range using the Jitter Eater coding?? I don't need anything over 0db on any fader. Also the jitter/creeping seems to only go upward (ie. if I dbl clk a fader in Reaper, the creep goes above 0db, not below.
I looked the the code but it is beyond me... I only ask because you implemented into the OSCII-bot.text file seemingly effortless. I know, I know, everything is simple when you know how... Unfortunately I know very little

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.
Ever impressed!

N2N
Hmm, yeah, obviously 8000 is way too high, as the entire range only goes from 0-16383. I would think something between 100 and 500 would give best results, but I still don't have a good idea about the amount of jitter. Maybe try to disable feedback to the device for a while, and record a log of 'spontaneous' fader movements, so we can see how large such movements typically are.

This 'jitter eater' shouldn't change the bottom range though! It should only filter out tiny fader movements (i.e. steps smaller than the jitterDelta value), allowing bigger movements to pass through.

I'll implement fader scaling to 0dB at the top end later - I just need to look up some 'magic values' inside a Pure data patch, but need to update some stuff (Xquartz) to get Pd to work again after the latest OS update.

Btw, that is an interesting observation, that your faders only seems to creep up, not down. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, though. It may be a clue pointing to a rounding error rather than a jitter issue...
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #67
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Obviously there is something wrong with this.
The code is /stop

N2N was talking of a wrong code assignment in the StudioMix doc.
The error is certainly related to that.
Can you correct the OSCII-Bot txt file consequently?
Or maybe i can share my txt file with N2N so that he can correct it as he offered it to me?
Sure, that would be easy to fix. But maybe just download the most recent version (v0.4), and try again, as that one should be correct now (NRPN 6002 => Stop; NRPN 6003 => Play/Pause.

To double-check for yourself, this is the relevant part of the code for those two buttons:
Code:
// NRPN 6002 => [Transport] Stop
fmt2==6002 ? (
	bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
	// 'Stop' (transport) message to OSC Control Surface
	oscsend(destdevice, "t/stop", 1);
	);
);
						
// NRPN 6003 => [Transport] Play
fmt2==6003 ? (
	bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
	// 'Play' (transport) message to OSC Control Surface (toggles play/pause)
	oscsend(destdevice, "t/play", 1);
	);
);
Oh, and just to be sure: don't forget to click 'Reload scripts' in OSCII-bot after putting a new version in its scripts folder!
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #68
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Sure, that would be easy to fix. But maybe just download the most recent version (v0.4), and try again, as that one should be correct now (NRPN 6002 => Stop; NRPN 6003 => Play/Pause.

To double-check for yourself, this is the relevant part of the code for those two buttons:
Code:
// NRPN 6002 => [Transport] Stop
fmt2==6002 ? (
	bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
	// 'Stop' (transport) message to OSC Control Surface
	oscsend(destdevice, "t/stop", 1);
	);
);
						
// NRPN 6003 => [Transport] Play
fmt2==6003 ? (
	bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
	// 'Play' (transport) message to OSC Control Surface (toggles play/pause)
	oscsend(destdevice, "t/play", 1);
	);
);
Oh, and just to be sure: don't forget to click 'Reload scripts' in OSCII-bot after putting a new version in its scripts folder!
ok i immediately give this a try.

@N2N

BTW thanks for your offer N2N. That was much appreciated.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #69
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Oh, and also remember to copy/paste your @input and @output lines into the new version, of course!
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #70
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Guys,
The most recent v.4 has a problem with panning now. v.3 is fine.
v4 goes 100% R upon movement. I tried swapping the code but failed. I guess this will take the master.

Good news is...
After testing the jitter correction with real projects and making a hot key "unselect all tracks", I can select a bunch of tracks move either the mouse or phys fader on the SM and immediately hit my hot key to unselect all and the jitter stops as soon as I hit the hot key. This is an ugly work around but with Jitter eater at 1000, I can get down to -65db which is fine for any project less muting.

Anyway, I look forward to the next incarnations!!!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #71
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Oh, and also remember to copy/paste your @input and @output lines into the new version, of course!
Yeah, it's already done. The play & stop buttons are fixed for me now.

i also look forward to your unexpected investigations. Both of you.

See you very soon.

I stay tuned.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #72
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Guys,
The most recent v.4 has a problem with panning now. v.3 is fine.
v4 goes 100% R upon movement. I tried swapping the code but failed. I guess this will take the master.
I cleaned up the code a bit, and renamed some variables - and probably was a bit careless there. Will look into it, don't worry, should be easy to fix.

Btw, I seriously consider myself quite a noob at scripting/programming, too. To learn this sort of stuff, I always find it useful to stare at code that I'm actually using myself, trying to understand what it's doing exactly, changing bits here and there until it breaks, then going back one step. Much better than any random textbook code example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Good news is...
After testing the jitter correction with real projects and making a hot key "unselect all tracks", I can select a bunch of tracks move either the mouse or phys fader on the SM and immediately hit my hot key to unselect all and the jitter stops as soon as I hit the hot key. This is an ugly work around but with Jitter eater at 1000, I can get down to -65db which is fine for any project less muting.

Anyway, I look forward to the next incarnations!!!

N2N
Interesting approach - if you can live with that approach (this sort of thing heavily depends on workflow and personal preferences, what's perfect for you may be worthless to me, and vice versa), maybe we can hack some automatic timer system for such an approach to make it a bit less ugly.

But 1000 still seems like a pretty large value for catching jitter... so I'm not quite sure it is working as it's supposed to.

PS: good news here, too: I found the 'magic numbers'. Fwiw, they're 1.39665 and 0.716. (But knowing that still doesn't help much, does it? ) The rescaling seems to work well in a quick test. Will probably upload new version tomorrow, after looking into fixing the pan controls on a fresh cup of coffee.

Btw, I also remembered that these 'magic numbers' depend on your settings: for this set of 'magic numbers', REAPER > Preferences > Appearance > VU Meters/Faders > "Volume fader range" must be set (from -72) to +12 dB. (If you'd be using a different setting, you'd have to use a different set of numbers.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #73
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Awesome. Proud to have a flock.

If you happen to find out which preferences/settings affect the performance or functionality of this setup, please note them here. That may help future users with their initial setup.
You're right, unfortunately, this config having been customized by someone else, i would certainly be unable to tell what belongs to a standard one and what belongs to the customized part of it.
I even have no idea how to proceed to identify these two parts...
sorry
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #74
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Question

Hello, have a good day!

Last examples of erratic behaviours when select buttons are pressed on the StudioMix.

- Like i said before: if a track has been selected & deselected, then another track has been selected, mute sel & solo sel may affect the track that has been deselected instead of the one selected. This behaviour may remain even after several selection/deselection of other tracks and they still affect the same track.
OR
- They may affect the Master track, even if a track(s) is(are) selected and the master is not.

If i press again the select buttons in reaper, everything goes back to normal.

I also noticed some erratic behaviours with the faders.

- Let's say i have 24 tracks in my project. if i press FW BNK once or twice and PRV BNK twice to go back on the first bank of 8, some faders may have changed their position, sometimes drastically.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #75
jico27
Human being with feelings
 
jico27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 373
Default

@Banned
Quote:
Btw, I seriously consider myself quite a noob at scripting/programming, too. To learn this sort of stuff, I always find it useful to stare at code that I'm actually using myself, trying to understand what it's doing exactly, changing bits here and there until it breaks, then going back one step. Much better than any random textbook code example.
I didn't clearly get if you're the author of the script or if you're tweaking Jeffos' one, but in both cases, this is obviously a tough job and i can only express my admiration in front of such skills in which you tend to become a master, just by practising.
But more than that, i want to strees the fact that since i am on this thread, i feel as if i am 'nursed' by a teacher in programmation. Great feeling! This is precisely what people of my generation need, to try to get in touch with some rudiments of this craftmanship that programming is.
Again, i want to thank you for these particular qualities and your kindness.

@N2N
Your experience with sonar, your precise knowledge of technical things, the simple way you talk about them and your very good english have been a great contribution to this thread, as well as your kindness, too.

Many thanks to both of you for this interesting moment and the expected happy ending for the Peavey StudioMix.
Once more, reaper's conception has proved to be the best i know, with its large community, its numerous tools and the fact that nearly anybody (with solid skills & knowledge) can realize great things with it.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #76
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Hello, have a good day!

Last examples of erratic behaviours when select buttons are pressed on the StudioMix.

- Like i said before: if a track has been selected & deselected, then another track has been selected, mute sel & solo sel may affect the track that has been deselected instead of the one selected. This behaviour may remain even after several selection/deselection of other tracks and they still affect the same track.
OR
- They may affect the Master track, even if a track(s) is(are) selected and the master is not.

If i press again the select buttons in reaper, everything goes back to normal.
Yeah, I've also seen this thing happening a few times myself, and I think I know where this comes from: since the selection buttons are toggle switches, OSCII-bot nor the StudioMix know/remember the current state of tracks; to prevent these issues, we need to listen to OSC messages coming from REAPER telling us which tracks are in fact selected or not.

Of course I'll try to fix this. I probably won't have much time for that today, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
I also noticed some erratic behaviours with the faders.

- Let's say i have 24 tracks in my project. if i press FW BNK once or twice and PRV BNK twice to go back on the first bank of 8, some faders may have changed their position, sometimes drastically.
Will keep an eye out for that one too.

Are you also experiencing the 'fighting faders' issue when multiple tracks are selected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
I didn't clearly get if you're the author of the script or if you're tweaking Jeffos' one, but in both cases, this is obviously a tough job and i can only express my admiration in front of such skills in which you tend to become a master, just by practising.
But more than that, i want to strees the fact that since i am on this thread, i feel as if i am 'nursed' by a teacher in programmation. Great feeling! This is precisely what people of my generation need, to try to get in touch with some rudiments of this craftmanship that programming is.
Again, i want to thank you for these particular qualities and your kindness.
You're very welcome.

If you're enjoying this, perhaps you should also consider hacking a bit with Jesusonic effects in REAPER (and/or ReaScript), which is a great way to learn yourself some more programming (/ scripting). We have lots of very skilled 'masters' and very helpful 'nurses' on this forum who are happy to help you learn some more programming tricks and skills that you can directly apply to improve your workflow. Indeed, REAPER's user community rocks!

The original MIDI2OSC script by Jeffos does a straightforward MIDI to OSC conversion: all MIDI coming in is converted to generic OSC messages (not for REAPER's OSC Control Surface specifically). Correctly parsing all incoming MIDI can be quite a headache, and that goes especially for complicated multi-part MIDI messages like NRPNs. So that is a very essential part of this script. In fact, if I wouldn't have had his script as a starting point, I wouldn't even have tried to use OSCII-bot for this purpose - I probably would have made you guys a Pure data patch. So I guess you guys owe him a beer - or rather, wine, as the French seem to prefer.

With Jeffos' script as a basis, I first disabled its OSC output, then started picking specific MIDI messages out (selecting messages by NRPN number and/or parameter value) for conversion to OSC messages, specifically intended for use with an OSC Control Surface in REAPER, thus following the patterns in its default configuration (rather than a 'generic' pattern).

Furthermore, to complete the feedback loop, I also added some functionality where OSCII-bot listens to specific OSC messages coming from REAPER, converts those to specific MIDI messages, and then sends them back to the StudioMix device.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #77
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Good Morning all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Btw, I seriously consider myself quite a noob at scripting/programming, too.
Very typical for masters to say this We are all standing on the shoulders of those that came before us... Some just happen to be taller and have a further view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
To learn this sort of stuff, I always find it useful to stare at code that I'm actually using myself, trying to understand what it's doing exactly, changing bits here and there until it breaks, then going back one step.
This is my approach too... I am still plugging away, but I must say this is out of my comfort zone. Being dyslexic, it is extremely challenging at times. I much appreciate your guidance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27
Your experience with sonar, your precise knowledge of technical things, the simple way you talk about them and your very good english have been a great contribution to this thread, as well as your kindness, too.
I am flattered by your kind words. It is truly a wonderful community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Interesting approach - if you can live with that approach (this sort of thing heavily depends on workflow and personal preferences, what's perfect for you may be worthless to me, and vice versa), maybe we can hack some automatic timer system for such an approach to make it a bit less ugly.
Well, not a good solution but I'm experimenting with workarounds as you perfect the code. The hot key to "unselect all tracks" helps the issue of selection weirdness and fader jitter/creep. I'm confident it will be resolved in a manner to where we are all satisfied with functionality and application.

The jog wheel now works as expected. It would be nice if we could get the shuttle functioning as it should as well. It's not broken but behaves differently than it's designed. Still usable as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
But 1000 still seems like a pretty large value for catching jitter... so I'm not quite sure it is working as it's supposed to.
I would have to agree. As I stated previously, Jitter Eater seems to affect the fader range more than actual jitter/creep correction. Also, the faders do move downward at times, but not as much as the upward movement. If the ceiling is set to 0db the fader won't be able to creep past leading into the red, right? I am very excited/interested to try the next round of code.

Again thank you!
BTW, more than happy to buy a round of drinks for you and Jeffo!!!!!

N2N

Last edited by N2NPro; 03-30-2014 at 09:10 AM.
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #78
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
[Last examples of erratic behaviours when select buttons are pressed on the StudioMix.

- Like i said before: if a track has been selected & deselected, then another track has been selected, mute sel & solo sel may affect the track that has been deselected instead of the one selected. This behaviour may remain even after several selection/deselection of other tracks and they still affect the same track.
OR
- They may affect the Master track, even if a track(s) is(are) selected and the master is not.

If i press again the select buttons in reaper, everything goes back to normal.[...]
Ok, I think there's something else that is getting in our way here... In the lest version of the OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC file I posted, there's this line:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
This means, that the last track you touched in REAPER (regardless of whether it is selected or not) also becomes a selected track, as far as the remote device (i.e. OSCII-bot) is concerned.

Try changing this to:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
I think that should eliminate some of the quirks.

Cf. the comments in the .ReaperOSC file:
Quote:
# DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track in the device changes
# only when the device changes it, or if it follows the last touched track in the
# REAPER window.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, LAST_TOUCHED
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #79
N2NPro
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SD Cali
Posts: 112
Default

Hi Banned,
I have tried repeatedly to get the panning and assigned knobs back into the latest vers.
I have copied and pasted the 1500 and 500 nrpn codes from the V3 that worked into the latest V4, copying over the other 1500 and 500 nrpn section with no luck. Is there another area of code that needs to be replaced also? None of the knobs work after my mod.

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to L click a track fader in either the MCP or TCP and have StudioMix follow it. It works with banking IE. StudioMix follows when mouse scrolling through the mixer channels. If I show only 8 tracks in the mixer pane it's awesome but as I have the screen real estate, I typically display as many as possible. Would be nice to have both as I believe my BCF2000 exhibits this behavior.

TIA,

N2N

Last edited by N2NPro; 03-30-2014 at 05:58 PM.
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #80
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Hi Banned,
I have tried repeatedly to get the panning and assigned knobs back into the latest vers.
I have copied and pasted the 1500 and 500 nrpn codes from the V3 that worked into the latest V4, copying over the other 1500 and 500 nrpn section with no luck. Is there another area of code that needs to be replaced also? None of the knobs work after my mod.
If you want to fix it - even if only as an exercise - I think you have to look at the variable "track_pan" in v0.4, that was called something like "track_bank_pan" before, iirc. If you do a search for it, you should also find it defined in the @init section; it's an array to store the current pan values, which happens in the @oscmsg section. So try to make sure the exact same name is used in all those places. I guess that pasting some lines of code between versions has changed some, but not all instances of that variable name. And that probably causes your problem. Good luck!

Btw, the pan knobs seem to work just fine for me; I haven't noticed anything weird.

Also, perhaps more importantly: I just uploaded a new version v0.5 of the script for you guys to play with (and also a new version of the .ReaperOSC file with minor changes).
- It has the fader rescaling discussed earlier, where the top end of the faders on the device equates 0dB on the tracks in REAPER's mixer;
- Hopefully, a slightly improved 'jitter eater', where you *are* able to reach -inf. dB on the volume faders. I used a 'dead zone' at both extremes of the value range, where the jitter eater doesn't bite. You can tweak the size of it in the script - search for "deadzone" in the script:
Code:
deadzone = 500;
You can also easily switch these on an off now, see these lines:

Code:
fader_rescaling = 1; // (off = 0; on = 1)
and
Code:
eat_jitter = 1; // (off = 0; on = 1)
As before, copy and paste your working @input / @output lines from your current version, and please test it a bit.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ

Last edited by Banned; 03-30-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.