Old 12-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Big A
Human being with feelings

Default Waves Vocal Rider sidechain

Greetings all,
Against my best efforts, I admit that I have become somewhat of a Waves junkie. I know there is great freeware out there, but who has the time to preview dozens of freebies to get that good one? Anyway, I'm sure this has been discussed, but a quick search has yielded no answers. I use the VST3 version of the plug and cannot find how to sidechain to the music bus. I did read in another forum, that it now works in Reaper since they now support VST3. The demo's show a magic tab that opens up a sidechain insert option. I have found no such tab. Even without sidechain I believe the plug will be useful, but I would like to use all the features. Thank in advance for any help or suggestions.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
The_Nimaj

You need to route your Music Bus to the vocal track (with the plugin on it) as a send. Then when the send dialog pops up you need to select 1/2 ==> 3/4.

It should look similar to this:
Old 12-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
ry_cooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nimaj View Post
You need to route your Music Bus to the vocal track (with the plugin on it) as a send. Then when the send dialog pops up you need to select 1/2 ==> 3/4.

It should look similar to this:
in the music bus should I put also the send/return fx? like reverb, delay, etc..
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
ry_cooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_cooder View Post
in the music bus should I put also the send/return fx? like reverb, delay, etc..
bump!
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
upside24

I'm right there with you. I simply cannot figure this out and unfortunately have not had any luck from the Reaper forum. I submitted a ticket with Waves and hopefully they'll respond. I'll put their response on this thread. And his is what I wrote to them (just a few minutes ago):

I've searched high and low to find the answer on how to use Vocal Rider in Reaper, as it is intended to be used via side-chaining. However, I simply cannot figure out the exact steps to take and sadly the Reaper community hasn't been able to help with this so far either. This plugin you have developed will be a god send to me once I know how to use it with my DAW and I hope that you have someone on staff that is familiar enough with Reaper to explain it to me. I'll then post it to the Reaper forum and hopefully help you sell a few more units too! Thanks in advance!
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #6
upside24

Here is an example on how to set sidechain in Reaper.

We’ll set the Vocal Track to receive the sidechain from a playback stereo track.

i. Click on the Lead Vocal’s “Route” button. Set “Track Channels” to “4”. (Or less if it’s Mono)
This will enable the Vocal track to receive audio signals from other channels.

ii. Drag the Playback Track’s “Route” button on the Vocal Track’s “Route” button.

iii. This will create a new Send track going from the Music Track to Vocal Track.
Set Audio 1/2 to 3/4. Our plug-in’s sidechain will receive from 3/4 in the next steps.

You can choose between “Post Fader” or “Pre Fader”, and determine the gain.

iv. In the Vocal Rider window, click on “4 in 2 out” (Or 1 in 2 out if it’s Mono) in order to open the “Plug-In Pin Connector”.
v.
We’ll need to connect 3 and 4 to “Stereo Aux” in the patch. (Not to Stereo In because that’s the input, not the sidechain’s / auxiliary’s input)

You’ll notice that the Vocal Rider’s Music knob is now enabled because the sidechain is receiving the signal.
Attached Images
File Type: png unnamed1.png (22.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed2.jpg (16.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed3.jpg (16.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png unnamed4.png (44.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png unnamed5.png (28.7 KB, 48 views)
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote