Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Post-Fader FX?
Sounds great! 73 96.05%
No way. 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #121
wjmwpg
Human being with feelings

So here's an idea out of left field . . .

One of the most frequent comments people make when you request Post-Fader FX Slots is "why not just use some kind of gain plugin in your FX chain and use it to do your attenuation, and then place the plugs you want 'post-fader' after that."

I don't really have an issue using some kind of gain plugin somewhere in my FX chain to do my attenuating except that every time I want to change that track's level I have to open that gain plug-in to do so, and I have to do that for all the tracks - constantly opening and closing these gain plug-ins instead of just quickly grabbing the fader that's right in front of me and making the change.

So what if, instead of having post fader FX slots, I could just route the gain parameter of my gain plug-in to the fader - i.e. use the nice track fader that's right in front of me to control the gain level of the gain plugin I'm using somewhere in my FX chain?

Ultimately this would achieve exactly the same thing for me as post-fader FX slots would - allow me to have plugins after the place in the signal chain where I am attenuating my level using that nice convenient fader slider that's always right there in front of me.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #122
wjmwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
So what if, instead of having post fader FX slots, I could just route the gain parameter of my gain plug-in to the fader - i.e. use the nice track fader that's right in front of me to control the gain level of the gain plugin I'm using somewhere in my FX chain?

Ultimately this would achieve exactly the same thing for me as post-fader FX slots would - allow me to have plugins after the place in the signal chain where I am attenuating my level using that nice convenient fader slider that's always right there in front of me.
. . . Wow. Crickets. Either I've misunderstood what people want when they ask for post-fader FX slots, or I've done a poor job of explaining my idea. On the off chance that it's the latter:

I've always just viewed a track fader control as basically a knob that control the gain/volume parameter of a gain/volume plugin, and that gain/volume plugin is placed in a fixed position in your signal chain (after your track's FX chain and before hitting the Master Track or Parent Folder). So if we could "un-fix" the location of this gain/volume plugin, and instead place it anywhere in our FX chain, you could have any number of plugin FX pre or post it - it would be totally up to you. You could even name this gain/volume plugin "fader" so you can easily see in your FX chain which plugins are pre and which are post "fader". With the ability to route the track's fader control to the gain/volume parameter of our "fader" plugin you never have to open the plugin to change your track's volume - just grab and slide the fader that's right in front of you in the MCP. Basically this implementation would mimic what we're seeing in the Mixbus shots.

Furthermore, if you have reason to, you could also choose to route the fader control to a different parameter of a different plugin. Maybe your track is already feeding into a parent folder, and it's the fader on this parent folder track that you use to control the overall volume going to the Master Track, so you choose instead to route the use of your child track fader control to a plugin parameter you access and change frequently on that track. Maybe it's the output trim or threshold on a compressor . . . the wet/dry mix on a verb . . . whatever. The options are endless.

And of course, if you don't need or want post fader FX you just leave your fader in its default state, behaving exactly the way it does now by controlling gain after all the FX and before the Master Track. No harm done to the current workflow.

Okay. I love the idea. I'll shut up now.

Last edited by wjmwpg; 03-06-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarification
wjmwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #123
Luster

Console from Airwindows isn't usable as intended - just tried it again in a mix. Please devs. Please.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #124
ertugrulgul

Why none of the developers can't see this. This feature is requested a lot, they need to add this!!
ertugrulgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:41 AM   #125
Luster

Just found this nice little workaround:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...38&postcount=7

It's not the whole party but better some drugs then no drugs.

Ps. Maybe a script-able nice guy can chime in and enhance it a little bit.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #126
Bouroki

Reaper and Airwindows seems to be a match in heaven, if only this feature would finally be implemented. Come on!

I agree that the way Ardour/Mixbus have it implemented is just perfect.
Bouroki is offline   Reply With Quote