Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
DeeperDeeper
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 16
Default Making sampling-based beats in Reaper?

When it comes to making any sampling-based beats, you always find videos to Ableton, FL Studio or Maschine. What about Reaper? Is Reaper simply not suitable or what is going on?

Videos like:

https://youtu.be/szKqhH4kE2k
https://youtu.be/aj0gikOeQXY
https://youtu.be/mOeu9tSotNY
DeeperDeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
bladerunner
Human being with feelings
 
bladerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 3,723
Default

Those akai style controllers are just triggering midi like a midi keyboard would. You can absolutely use Reaper in exactly the same way. Just hit record with a loop point set and away you go.
__________________
Professional Mastering and Mixing - Web / Facebook
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Anybody who says you can use Reaper in the same way as Ableton/Maschine/MPC has no idea what they are talking about, it is an entirely different workflow, and Reaper has no custom controller either.

That doesn't mean you cant do sample based beats in Reaper though, direct timeline editing samples is probably the best in Reaper vs every other DAW around.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
mccrabney
Human being with feelings
 
mccrabney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Slackjaw, North Carolina
Posts: 938
Default

^ well. aside from an extremely rudimentary non-linear sequencing capability, "MPC workflow" has practically nothing to offer that REAPER does not (and "smooth seek" could be used to imitate that in REAPER). rs5k is lacking a pitch and filter envelope, in-vst slicing, and i can think of a couple of other things.

that said there are about 10 different iterations of the MPC, from your basic beat calculator to JJOS, to a hybrid software-hardware DAW style monstrosity. the latter might have some better nonlinear implementation -- i don't pay attention anymore.

regarding the original question, and speaking from considerable experience, creators of sampling based beatmaking music are often highly susceptible to marketing and peer influence -- worse yet, newcomers to the genres are ill equipped to tell the difference.

which is why you see embarrassing marketing campaigns using yesterday's slang to hock the newest line of overpriced and poorly supported controllers with 16 grey drumpads.

despite that, REAPER is the underutilized multitool for sample based music due to, as gpunk said, direct sample manipulation in the timeline.
__________________
MidiEditor: select last-recorded notes FR || QuantizSwing CC: Positive val only option
input quantize: OSC values for on/off state (for hardware LED) || control strength CC
automation items that behave as such.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post

despite that, REAPER is the underutilized multitool for sample based music due to, as gpunk said, direct sample manipulation in the timeline.
Can you please give some examples of what you would be doing here with samples in the timeline?
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
mccrabney
Human being with feelings
 
mccrabney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Slackjaw, North Carolina
Posts: 938
Default

slicing, repositioning, reversing, stretching, warping, pitching, autotuning, etc. basically, non-performance based audio manipulation, much in the same conceptual way that Photoshop (pronounced "gimp" by the frugal) lets you use source image material to make colage art
__________________
MidiEditor: select last-recorded notes FR || QuantizSwing CC: Positive val only option
input quantize: OSC values for on/off state (for hardware LED) || control strength CC
automation items that behave as such.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Are those adjustments in the timeline automatically linked to reasamplomatic? Ie you adjust in the timeline and that is immediately reflected in the beat as played by reasamplomatic? I guess I am wondering what Reaper is offering here that programs like FL Studio and Live don't.

Last edited by woggle; 05-15-2017 at 08:34 PM.
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 12,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Are those adjustments in the timeline automatically linked to reasamplomatic? Ie you adjust in the timeline and that is immediately reflected in the beat as played by reasamplomatic? I guess I am wondering what Reaper is offering here that programs like FL Studio and Live don't.

I'd suggest a diff way of thinking...

for example, make a statement of what you want to accomplish and get answers about how to do that in reaper... [just a thought]
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I'd suggest a diff way of thinking...

for example, make a statement of what you want to accomplish and get answers about how to do that in reaper... [just a thought]
Huh? I am responding to mccrabneys point about reaper being under-utilised for beatmaking and was wondering what he does to make beats in the timeline that he finds better than the software th op mentioned. Mccrabney mentiioned some stuff but gave no practical example so I am still unsure, and interested, in some sort of comparison. that seems consistent with op' s question
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
bladerunner
Human being with feelings
 
bladerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 3,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Anybody who says you can use Reaper in the same way as Ableton/Maschine/MPC has no idea what they are talking about, it is an entirely different workflow, and Reaper has no custom controller either.

That doesn't mean you cant do sample based beats in Reaper though, direct timeline editing samples is probably the best in Reaper vs every other DAW around.
I was responding purely to what I saw in those videos which appears to be nothing more than simple midi recording.
__________________
Professional Mastering and Mixing - Web / Facebook
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #11
Ulf3000
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 281
Default

you need a sampler which can set slice points like "tx16wx" or

my favourite "image line slicex" (that sampler is really great)...

then you can use your midi keyboard or whatever to trigger the beats .... record the midi -> finetuning ..done
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 AM   #12
rcl
Human being with feelings
 
rcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bahia,Brazil
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
you need a sampler which can set slice points like "tx16wx" or

my favourite "image line slicex" (that sampler is really great)...

then you can use your midi keyboard or whatever to trigger the beats .... record the midi -> finetuning ..done


Here is where reaper actually shines. You don't need a sampler. Use the items and move the end points. Use split and dynamic split. Use stretch makers. The timeline is your sampler. Once done you can use the clips in a million different creative ways. If one takes a little time to set up some track templates it really is quick. Don't forget that you can save presets in RS5K if you go that route,that will recall with the sample. Automation items can cover the modulations.
__________________
We didnt jump the fence because the grass was greener. We jumped it because it was a fence.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
rcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #13
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
Here is where reaper actually shines. You don't need a sampler. Use the items and move the end points. Use split and dynamic split. Use stretch makers. The timeline is your sampler. Once done you can use the clips in a million different creative ways. If one takes a little time to set up some track templates it really is quick. Don't forget that you can save presets in RS5K if you go that route,that will recall with the sample. Automation items can cover the modulations.
I'm not really getting how you play those clips live in the way the OP is referring to
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
mccrabney
Human being with feelings
 
mccrabney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Slackjaw, North Carolina
Posts: 938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
I'm not really getting how you play those clips live in the way the OP is referring to
you could try the Playtime vst for REAPER. imperfect but comparable to what you're looking for. otherwise, we are not talking about playing the clips live in the way the OP is referring to, hence why i said "non-performance based audio manipulation" that outshines that of any other DAW or "workstation" i've used
__________________
MidiEditor: select last-recorded notes FR || QuantizSwing CC: Positive val only option
input quantize: OSC values for on/off state (for hardware LED) || control strength CC
automation items that behave as such.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #15
rcl
Human being with feelings
 
rcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bahia,Brazil
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
I'm not really getting how you play those clips live in the way the OP is referring to
You would do your slicing dicing in the timeline and load the result into RS5K. I guess my point was that you didn't need a sampler to slice and dice.
__________________
We didnt jump the fence because the grass was greener. We jumped it because it was a fence.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
rcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ well. aside from an extremely rudimentary non-linear sequencing capability, "MPC workflow" has practically nothing to offer that REAPER does not
So somebody else who obviously has no idea what he is talking about, Reaper is a linear sequencer, the other three are pattern based and also have custom controllers for their built in and backbone sample playback abilities.

Just because you can make the same styles of music, or even achieve the same goals, does not mean that the workflow is even close, and is also a reason why these systems are chosen for certain genres.

The utter stupidity in claiming they are the same is beyond belief
"An inkjet printer and a pen are the same things, there is nothing an inkjet printer can do that pens cant"
They both have their own place and their own strengths, but are similar in the same way that a Guitar is similar to Reaper.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Can you please give some examples of what you would be doing here with samples in the timeline?
1 You have the ability to preview samples in the Media browser in every conceivable way, be it synced loops at normal/double/halve, or one shots.

2 Once on the timeline you have super rapid editing in all forms, slice/copy/paste/duplicate/reverse and so on.

3 You have a world of actions at your disposal on items you create on the timeline, too many to get in to here, but as a super simple example, you could drag a snare from your snare folder in to the timeline, sequence up a drum pattern, select all the snares and then with one keyboard/MIDI press you could be going through the snares in your snare folder one by one, in context of the beat pattern you created.

4 You have mouse modifiers for some very cool tricks, one quick example, have a track at the top of the sequencer that you have loaded a bunch of beat loops on to, time stretch off, no syncing, master parent off for the track they are all resting on, now you can use a mouse modifier to preview the loops under the mouse pointer, but also you can drop the edit cursor over one of the selected items, say a snare on one particular loop, then you can now draw that snare anywhere you like in the arrangement.


These are simple examples of the sorts of things that direct timeline editing of samples offers.

1 Is achievable in some form in most hosts, but non are as good as Reaper.

2 Is achievable in most hosts, but Reaper is a lot faster than any other hosts around for this stuff.

3 This is fairly unique to Reaper.

4 Mouse modifiers are fairly unique to Reaper, but the example is a crappy copy of the mighty pencil from Acid, sorely missed since Acids demise.

The major factor in direct timeline editing/sequencing of samples is the lack of the 1ms built in latency of any MIDI triggering, ever MIDI trigger has a 1ms latency, this builds up, but direct timeline sample editing is a 1:1 in terms of timing, it is super tight.


All that said, Maschine/Ableton/MPC blow Reaper away for writing beats quickly and intuitively, the best way is not actually always the best way
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
mccrabney
Human being with feelings
 
mccrabney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Slackjaw, North Carolina
Posts: 938
Default

that is a shifted goal post. original statement was to "use in the same way" as mpc and i stand by that correction.

regarding mpc being pattern based, i addressed that in my earlier reference to the mpcs rudimentary "song mode."

before you start hurling accusations of not knowing what I'm talking about, know that i spent 2004 thru 2014 ten actively engaging and beta testing with the developers of several different models of the mpc hardware and software. so if i don't know what I'm talking about there, then nobody does.
__________________
MidiEditor: select last-recorded notes FR || QuantizSwing CC: Positive val only option
input quantize: OSC values for on/off state (for hardware LED) || control strength CC
automation items that behave as such.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 12,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Huh? I am responding to mccrabneys point about reaper being under-utilised for beatmaking and was wondering what he does to make beats in the timeline that he finds better than the software th op mentioned. Mccrabney mentiioned some stuff but gave no practical example so I am still unsure, and interested, in some sort of comparison. that seems consistent with op' s question

my apologies... I got lost in the thread ;P
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
snooks
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
The major factor in direct timeline editing/sequencing of samples is the lack of the 1ms built in latency of any MIDI triggering, ever MIDI trigger has a 1ms latency, this builds up, but direct timeline sample editing is a 1:1 in terms of timing, it is super tight.
There isn't any 1ms latency with triggering ITB MIDI instruments from the timeline. There's a bit of quantization with PPQ vs sample grid, but you can up the PPQ resolution. It's nowhere near 1ms even at the standard 960PPQN unless your bpm is 5 is something.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #21
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
1 You have the ability to preview samples in the Media browser in every conceivable way, be it synced loops at normal/double/halve, or one shots.

2 Once on the timeline you have super rapid editing in all forms, slice/copy/paste/duplicate/reverse and so on.

3 You have a world of actions at your disposal on items you create on the timeline, too many to get in to here, but as a super simple example, you could drag a snare from your snare folder in to the timeline, sequence up a drum pattern, select all the snares and then with one keyboard/MIDI press you could be going through the snares in your snare folder one by one, in context of the beat pattern you created.

4 You have mouse modifiers for some very cool tricks, one quick example, have a track at the top of the sequencer that you have loaded a bunch of beat loops on to, time stretch off, no syncing, master parent off for the track they are all resting on, now you can use a mouse modifier to preview the loops under the mouse pointer, but also you can drop the edit cursor over one of the selected items, say a snare on one particular loop, then you can now draw that snare anywhere you like in the arrangement.


These are simple examples of the sorts of things that direct timeline editing of samples offers.

1 Is achievable in some form in most hosts, but non are as good as Reaper.

2 Is achievable in most hosts, but Reaper is a lot faster than any other hosts around for this stuff.

3 This is fairly unique to Reaper.

4 Mouse modifiers are fairly unique to Reaper, but the example is a crappy copy of the mighty pencil from Acid, sorely missed since Acids demise.

The major factor in direct timeline editing/sequencing of samples is the lack of the 1ms built in latency of any MIDI triggering, ever MIDI trigger has a 1ms latency, this builds up, but direct timeline sample editing is a 1:1 in terms of timing, it is super tight.


All that said, Maschine/Ableton/MPC blow Reaper away for writing beats quickly and intuitively, the best way is not actually always the best way

thanks, that clears up my confusion and shows me a different approach
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #22
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
There isn't any 1ms latency with triggering ITB MIDI instruments from the timeline. There's a bit of quantization with PPQ vs sample grid, but you can up the PPQ resolution. It's nowhere near 1ms even at the standard 960PPQN unless your bpm is 5 is something.
If it uses MIDI it has a 1ms latency for every message (Part of the MIDI spec)
So much so that Steinberg had to reword their own full page adverts for the original release of VST instruments which originally read "Sample accurate playback of instruments" to "Sample accurate rendering of instruments" because when the instruments were triggered via MIDI they had a 1ms latency on every MIDI message.
And even our very own Cockos changed their webpage when i pointed out that there was no such thing as "Sample accurate MIDI" (Or something along those lines, i forget the exact quote, but they swiftly changed it anyway when realising the poor wording.

So, while you may think that it is playing back in realtime it probably isn't, depends if they have created a separate internal events system just for ITB instruments versus external MIDI instruments (I would suspect most developers only create the single events system) it may render sample accurate, but playback is unlikely.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #23
Ulf3000
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 281
Default

so instead of helping the op , you guys rather argue and derail the topic ..
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 AM   #24
snooks
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
If it uses MIDI it has a 1ms latency for every message (Part of the MIDI spec)
So much so that Steinberg had to reword their own full page adverts for the original release of VST instruments which originally read "Sample accurate playback of instruments" to "Sample accurate rendering of instruments" because when the instruments were triggered via MIDI they had a 1ms latency on every MIDI message.
And even our very own Cockos changed their webpage when i pointed out that there was no such thing as "Sample accurate MIDI" (Or something along those lines, i forget the exact quote, but they swiftly changed it anyway when realising the poor wording.

So, while you may think that it is playing back in realtime it probably isn't, depends if they have created a separate internal events system just for ITB instruments versus external MIDI instruments (I would suspect most developers only create the single events system) it may render sample accurate, but playback is unlikely.
You can play around with this JS FX to see the difference in sample positions between MIDI and audio....
Code:
desc:Offset Diff


@init
ev_result = ev_midi_pos = ev_sample_pos = -1000000;
block_sample_counter = sample_counter = 0;


@block
// when first note on is received, store the sample position
// in ev_midi_pos
while (midirecv(os,m1,m2,m3)) (
   m1 & $xF0 == $x90 && ev_midi_pos < 0  ? (
      ev_midi_pos = block_sample_counter + os;
  );
  midisend(os,m1,m2,m3);
);

block_sample_counter += samplesblock;


@sample
// when first non-zero sample is received, store the sample
// position, and make ev_result equal the difference between
// first note on and first sample
spl0 != 0 && ev_sample_pos < 0 ? (
  have_sample = 1;
  ev_result = sample_counter - ev_midi_pos;
  ev_sample_pos = sample_counter;
);
spl0=spl0;
spl1=spl1;

sample_counter += 1;
You'll see that the only time we see anything like 1ms difference is at very, very low bpms. The lower the PPQN, the bigger the difference. With very high PPQN, there's no difference.

Probably the best way to use it is to put a MIDI item and an audio sample (remember to remove the fade-in, and move the contents so it's defo starting on a non-zero sample) on the same track using Free Item Positioning so that there's no additional variables involved. You can also just test it without any plugin by Rec Outputting of tracks, but that involved a potential "render" get out of jail card.

The issue re accuracy isn't in playback vs position on the timeline, but the resolution of the MIDI grid vs sample grid. I think this is where the claim that MIDI is sample accurate is debatable, since you can't ordinarily choose a sample position and put a MIDI event on it. Although you can increase the resolution of in Preferences -> MIDI -> Ticks per quarter note for new MIDI items from 960 to 1000000 if you like so it's more accurate than the sample grid, but still quantized to it.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #25
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Cool, so Reaper has internal events and MIDI events, so there is no ITB MIDI
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #26
snooks
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,444
Default

I've been wondering where the 1ms per event thing is from. The only thing I can think of is the total time it takes to send a 3 byte MIDI message over a 31250 baud serial connection. If so, then that's just a limitation of traditional MIDI interfaces and nothing to do with the data/spec that's sent through them per se.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #27
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

It was designed in to the original MIDI spec because of the crappy interface like you say, the problem is that a lot of MIDI hardware relies on that 1ms, if the host doesnt do it, the hardware can get hung notes and dropped notes/messages, thats why it surprises me that Reaper either doesnt support it or only implements it via its MIDI outputs (hardware)
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #28
Outboarder
Human being with feelings
 
Outboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperDeeper View Post
When it comes to making any sampling-based beats, you always find videos to Ableton, FL Studio or Maschine. What about Reaper? Is Reaper simply not suitable or what is going on?
Reaper is not suitable(capable!) for making live pattern base music.

Get Ableton ,Bitwig or Renoize.
__________________
Hope Sacred Passion Life Night Ache Soft Light
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #29
Sunaj
Human being with feelings
 
Sunaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 475
Default

I'd love to use reaper and only reaper for sample based tunes. And while time line editing might be powerful in its own right it simply doesn't suffice for mapping slices to keys and triggering via midi, time stretching these slices in an intuitive and fluid way which may be its biggest drawback. therefore a sampler of some sort needs to be used.. at least for hip hop based sampling.. Id rather not develop full blown tendinitis mousing around in reaper doing everything via timeline.. sounds like a nightmare for those who are already showing signs of of it.such as myself.


If there are more intuitive ways of utilizing reapers time stretching capabilities while triggering slices via keyboard or controller, im ears, but until then, reaper imo aint built like live which is perfect for this kinda stuff.
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #30
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
Reaper is not suitable(capable!) for making live pattern base music.

Get Ableton ,Bitwig or Renoize.
What is Live pattern based music ?
If you want to use pattern based editing in Reaper you can use PIP, while i agree that pretty much every other pattern based host is better than Reaper for this, saying it isn't capable is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
I'd love to use reaper and only reaper for sample based tunes. And while time line editing might be powerful in its own right it simply doesn't suffice for mapping slices to keys and triggering via midi, time stretching these slices in an intuitive and fluid way which may be its biggest drawback. therefore a sampler of some sort needs to be used.. at least for hip hop based sampling.. Id rather not develop full blown tendinitis mousing around in reaper doing everything via timeline.. sounds like a nightmare for those who are already showing signs of of it.such as myself.


If there are more intuitive ways of utilizing reapers time stretching capabilities while triggering slices via keyboard or controller, im ears, but until then, reaper imo aint built like live which is perfect for this kinda stuff.
While i myself prefer sampler workflow in other hosts, saying that Reaper simply doesn't suffice for mapping slices to keys and triggering via MIDI is untrue, it has an import item to Reasamplomatic option, and create chromatic MIDI from item transients.
Time stretching in Reaper could not really be more intuitive or fluid ?
Why are you comparing direct timeline editing of samples and MIDI based slice editing, they are two completely different things (Unless you use Playtime to trigger the audio slices via MIDI direct to the timeline)
And what does tendinitis have to do with using a mouse for a sampler vs using a mouse for editing on the timeline, you are making no sense whatsoever ?

You can trigger slices via MIDI by using resamplomatic and it has all of Reapers timestretch modes built in, but again, this is MIDI triggering of slices and nothing at all to do with direct timeline editing (Playtime ignored) which you seem to be confusing ?
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Outboarder
Human being with feelings
 
Outboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 586
Default

I just watched the videos that OP posted.
you can do all of those in reaper. he just want to play samples with keyboard.

the thing you can't do is to trigger rhythmic patterns that just play X number of bars then automatically trigger another pattern at the end.
or halt triggering sample loop until the start of the measure.
changing tempo also changes the tempo of the loops without changing their pitch.
__________________
Hope Sacred Passion Life Night Ache Soft Light
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #32
fladd
Human being with feelings
 
fladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
[...]by using resamplomatic and it has all of Reapers timestretch modes built in[...]
It does? Is this new? How do I use them?
__________________
www.fladd.de/sound
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #33
Outboarder
Human being with feelings
 
Outboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
It does? Is this new? How do I use them?
Wrong!

resample & elastic are two different things.
__________________
Hope Sacred Passion Life Night Ache Soft Light
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #34
Ulf3000
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
I'd love to use reaper and only reaper for sample based tunes. And while time line editing might be powerful in its own right it simply doesn't suffice for mapping slices to keys and triggering via midi, time stretching these slices in an intuitive and fluid way which may be its biggest drawback. therefore a sampler of some sort needs to be used.. at least for hip hop based sampling.. Id rather not develop full blown tendinitis mousing around in reaper doing everything via timeline.. sounds like a nightmare for those who are already showing signs of of it.such as myself.


If there are more intuitive ways of utilizing reapers time stretching capabilities while triggering slices via keyboard or controller, im ears, but until then, reaper imo aint built like live which is perfect for this kinda stuff.
for hiphop style sampling you use a sampler in live too .. the pattern based music of live is another beast alltogether
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 AM   #35
Sunaj
Human being with feelings
 
Sunaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
What is Live pattern based music ?
If you want to use pattern based editing in Reaper you can use PIP, while i agree that pretty much every other pattern based host is better than Reaper for this, saying it isn't capable is not true.



While i myself prefer sampler workflow in other hosts, saying that Reaper simply doesn't suffice for mapping slices to keys and triggering via MIDI is untrue, it has an import item to Reasamplomatic option, and create chromatic MIDI from item transients.
Time stretching in Reaper could not really be more intuitive or fluid ?
Why are you comparing direct timeline editing of samples and MIDI based slice editing, they are two completely different things (Unless you use Playtime to trigger the audio slices via MIDI direct to the timeline)
And what does tendinitis have to do with using a mouse for a sampler vs using a mouse for editing on the timeline, you are making no sense whatsoever ?

You can trigger slices via MIDI by using resamplomatic and it has all of Reapers timestretch modes built in, but again, this is MIDI triggering of slices and nothing at all to do with direct timeline editing (Playtime ignored) which you seem to be confusing ?
I 'ont know man.....

im trying to highlight sampling efficiency and quickness using exclusively reaper vs reaper+sampler ( which i use) or a program like live.

I already know about samplomatic and abandoned it due to its lack of built in time stretching +other features
Let me ask you this.

Is there a hidden time stretch feature built in to samplomatic? I've always had to time stretch first on timeline, export the sample( piece of song to be used) then import in samplomatic if i needed to fit it to the timeline. Plus, make corrections this way if things didn't fit..all of this can be tedious over time if going this route.. show me the wey if ive been doing it wrong. The 'import from arrange' button, seems to provide a quick way of doing what you already can do in the sampler itself. Biggest drawback in this context is that none of the time line stretching/processing is included, kind of useless.

If i tried to do everything in reaper how i do/did in live, id develop full blown tendinitis for mousing around too much. Seems like i have to rely on the mouse much more in reaper than a program like live due to its immediate built in sampler and warping/live triggering capabilities which enhances work flow(when i used it)reducing mouse dependency. I haven't found a more efficient way of doing this in reaper without some sort of help from a sampler. I bring up tendinitis to highlight ease of use and workflow efficiency. The less time it takes to do something the less my hand hurts

Reaper has warp markers now.. great.. anyway to utilize these markers in such a way each one can be mapped to midi and triggered?

If its entirely possible to time stretch in samplomatic or via time line and immediately load that part/section of the of the song to be sampled( perhaps by some means of ctrl+ drag section or something) id like to know how?

Ill abandon kontakt now if i can do all this in the box and stick to reaper exclusively

Last edited by Sunaj; 05-22-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #36
winbe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
I've always had to time stretch first on timeline, export the sample( piece of song to be used) then import in samplomatic if i needed to fit it to the timeline.
agreed... but the "export the sample then import it in samplomatic" can be done in one move (Ctrl+Alt+ drag&drop onto samplomatic, on PC)

I am currently beta testing Serato Sample... I am ok with the "offline" way of doing things, but to keep the inspiration flowing, a more "live" way of doing things is prefered.
__________________
Cedric Simon aka FrozenjaZz
Fresh beats - www.frozenjazz.com
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #37
Sunaj
Human being with feelings
 
Sunaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
agreed... but the "export the sample then import it in samplomatic" can be done in one move (Ctrl+Alt+ drag&drop onto samplomatic, on PC)

I am currently beta testing Serato Sample... I am ok with the "offline" way of doing things, but to keep the inspiration flowing, a more "live" way of doing things is prefered.
Yes. I'm aware of that. However if I have to do that for every time a phrase or section needed to be edited or stretched my hard drive would get cluttered quickly with tons of rendered files. In my sampler vst, you load sample, copy/ duplicate as much as you wish.. each copy gets its own Zone,midi key with the complete freedom of stretching/editing independent of other zones if you choose.

Reasamplomatic has potential but its not there yet.. at all


However i may reinvestigate the alt click drag and drop because reapers timeline editing IS pretty powerful, yet relying on it exclusively is a time killer for me but i want this to work because I'm a fan of working exclusively Inside the Box.. just at the expense of tired and painful fingers

Last edited by Sunaj; 05-23-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #38
Sunaj
Human being with feelings
 
Sunaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
for hiphop style sampling you use a sampler in live too .. the pattern based music of live is another beast alltogether


Youre right. Difference is its already a built in function. Not needing a vsti
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #39
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
Wrong!

resample & elastic are two different things.
Yep my mistake, for some reason i thought they had added timestretch modes to that list, doh
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #40
Ozman
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 301
Default

I'd be ok with having some kind of action that can send a sample from the arrangement into a third-party sampler, like TAL Sampler or Kontakt.

There's a host of features that are desired for the native sampler.
For sample-based midi production, it's currently best to use a third-party sampler.

What I do now is use an action to view a selected media item in the Media Explorer. That way, I can drag from the Media Explorer to the sampler and not have to duplicate the sample a second time (being that I have Reaper copy samples to project directory upon importing to arrangement.

I'd prefer to simply use an action to have my sample quickly sitting in TAL Sampler or Kontakt (quicker), but I'm appreciative still.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.