Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
scatterplot
Human being with feelings

Default Record Volume control?

I'm just now learning Reaper and have come across an obstacle. When I try to record audio to a track the bar is buried in the red and the sound distorted. I've looked through all the settings etc. and can't fing an input/recording level control. I've played with the soundcard preferences and all seems well there. Please help.
scatterplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
hopi

well clearly you are getting a way too hot input signal...

normally you'd control that on your audio device... what do you have?

on the other hand, there are some JS FX volume things that you could try on the Input FX of the track [not the normal FX, but the Input FX...

look it up in the user guide
Old 06-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
on the other hand, there are some JS FX volume things that you could try on the Input FX of the track [not the normal FX, but the Input FX...
I mean, if you're digging whatever distortion you're getting...

This ultimately is not Reaper's problem, and there's nothing that you can do within Reaper to make that signal not already fucked by the time Reaper gets it.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
scatterplot

I'll try running my mixer's output straight into my PC line in. I guess the receiver tape monitor output is too hot. But I could swear that in one of Kenny Gioia's videos there was a tutorial....I can't find it now, about input levels. Anybody remember which video? There are too many to go thru.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterplot View Post
I'll try running my mixer's output straight into my PC line in.
A very bad idea.
-Michael
Old 06-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
scatterplot

Why is this a bad idea?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:51 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Why is this a bad idea?
For a decent workflow you need a volume control and a level meter reliably defining zero dB = danger of clipping before the signal reaches the A/D converter.

-Michael
Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
scatterplot

I did take my mixer, just a behringer xynyx 1002, and ran it into my pc line in. It works and I can lower the volume at will. I notice a lag between hitting the keys on the keyboard and my synths sounding. Oh well, I can live with it. I think I need a nicer PC with a better soundcard, more RAM, and processor speed. Running at 3GHZ, 1 gig of ram on a cheap refurbished dell. Most likely it's the ram thats the problem.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
I did take my mixer, just a behringer xynyx 1002, and ran it into my pc line in. It works and I can lower the volume at will. I notice a lag between hitting the keys on the keyboard and my synths sounding. Oh well, I can live with it. I think I need a nicer PC with a better soundcard, more RAM, and processor speed. Running at 3GHZ, 1 gig of ram on a cheap refurbished dell. Most likely it's the ram thats the problem.
For "live" (listening to the software-generated sound while playing, rather than pure recording) usage, using the PC line input and/or output is an even worse idea. With any (even a fast) PC this will result in huge latency. For this, you need an USB A/D-D/A Box especially specified for low latency / live usage. Here an NI Audio 6 is a rather affordable suggestion.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-14-2017 at 10:50 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Nope. You need to learn to use everything in front of you.

First, the input level is ultimately set in the analog domain on your audio interface. There will be a record level (mic level, trim, head amp, level - it will be labeled as one of those). Distort that and it's digitized as distorted all to hell right from the start. (Just like if you were to take a picture of the back of someone's head, you wouldn't be able to digitally turn their head around in the picture. Bad analogy but hopefully you see the point.)

Turn your input volume down!

Aside:
You may have heard about software controlled input volume. IF your interface had that (which it doesn't), then you'd be able to control that from it's control panel (not Reaper). Moot point though.

Now, if your input is still too hot at minimum input control level...
The analog board as an attenuator is better than nothing!
But I'd look into a more proper solution for the best quality signal handling.

Second, latency.
There are simply controls for this.
Car analogy: "I guess I'll just drive in first gear..."
No, find the shifter!

Same here.
You set the system latency in the Preferences/Audio/Device page.

Take a look at the manual for at least a moment. There are some not so hard setup procedures to go through with audio apps like this. Not being aware of them and cobbling along is kind of like driving in first gear on the highway. And upgrading to a Lamborghini but still driving it in only first gear isn't the solution. Same for upgrading your computer. Not saying don't upgrade! But you want to learn the system first.
Mac Pro 8x3.33GHz i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD(OS, apps), 3x2TB 7200 HD(data); MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 6GB, 128GB SSD HD(OS, apps), 750GB 7200 HD(data); 2xTrue Precision 8; Apogee AD-16; 2xMOTU 828mk3, Evolution UC-33e; Faderport; WiRanger, iPad & the analog mixer has retired
serr is online now   Reply With Quote