Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
G-Sun
Human being with feelings
 
G-Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,058
Default Q: Transient shaper

Hi!

Just a question regarding transient shapers:

Is
-3db attack 0db sustain; 0db master volume
equal to
0db attack; +3db sustain; -3db master volume
?
__________________
Reaper x64, win 8.1
G-Sun.no - Music Blog - My music

Last edited by G-Sun; 06-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
G-Sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,469
Default

dB is a logarithmic measure. It takes less energy to move you from -3db to 0db than it does to move you from 0db to +3db.

I have no idea what that implies for your transient, though.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
dB is a logarithmic measure. It takes less energy to move you from -3db to 0db than it does to move you from 0db to +3db.
Well, sort of, yeah, but not really. The difference between -3 and 0 is the same 3 as the difference between 0 and 3, and it still means "times 1.4" .

Theoretically x/1.4 = x/1.4 for the attack either way, and 1.4x/1.4 = x for the sustain, but...

Quote:
I have no idea what that implies for your transient, though.
IDK for sure that there isn't something different happening in that plugin.

A null test would probably answer the question faster than a post on a forum?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
G-Sun
Human being with feelings
 
G-Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

A null test would probably answer the question faster than a post on a forum?
Yes, tried it with JS Transient Controller.
Didn't null
__________________
Reaper x64, win 8.1
G-Sun.no - Music Blog - My music
G-Sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Well, sort of, yeah, but not really. The difference between -3 and 0 is the same 3 as the difference between 0 and 3, and it still means "times 1.4" .
Well, yes, actually, and really. You're describing the additive nature of logarithms used to describe the energy, not the energy. That's a feature of the math, not the physics. The difference in energy between +3db and 0db is greater than the acoustic energy between 0db and -3db. That's what a logarithmic scale is.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Well, yes, actually, and really. You're describing the additive nature of logarithms used to describe the energy, not the energy. That's a feature of the math, not the physics. The difference in energy between +3db and 0db is greater than the acoustic energy between 0db and -3db. That's what a logarithmic scale is.
Heh heh, good question Geir, and well, it would be interesting to do a little test. But I don't think it would be necessary because I think ashcat is right, and any testing would produce the same results.

However, what's going on in a FX can be totally different, which might be the reason that your test didn't null.

And yes, I think jerome is right in regards to the acoustic energy, but I'm not sure how relevant that is to this situation.

Anyway, that was a great question Geir, and I don't really have a clue what the answer would be.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
G-Sun
Human being with feelings
 
G-Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,058
Default

Thanks!
My question was of course about transient shapers, not db ☺️
__________________
Reaper x64, win 8.1
G-Sun.no - Music Blog - My music
G-Sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.