Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #161
Mich
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
Squashed mixes are a new trend, and are produced mostly by miseducated people, not necessary stupid one. There are even some very talented guys among them. Basic methodic level management is what they miss, and the "red is not clip" feature doesn't help anyway.
But making red clip again will help?
I don't think so. Thus while we seem to agree on the problem, let's agree to disagree on the solution.
Anyway I fear nothing will make the loudness problem go away. I mean a couple of weeks ago I shockingly had to find out todays average playback equipment (most people use) relies already so heavily on music being cut loud to disk that they are unable to playback old dynamic recordings at an adequate level to make them enjoyable. So we are stuck in loud zero dynamic land forever :/.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #162
vinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post
So we are stuck in loud zero dynamic land forever :/.
Argh!
I've read somewhere that childs'hearing is evolving in this way: less dynamic perceived around= speaking at a constant level with restrained bandwidth and so on...
We seem to agree that the true solution is education. And that sometimes, today's environment make it so hard, that we can turn really pessimistic!

Last edited by vinx; 08-17-2011 at 02:09 PM.
vinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #163
bennetng

The Loudness War is Over
Feb 8, 2011 2:22 PM, By Greg Reierson
http://mixonline.com/mixline/reierso...802/index.html

Please spread the words... I've been using replaygain for more than 5 years. So it is useless to make your songs louder than others.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #164
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
And now a question...if you were to indicate a nominal (real world) mix level on the track meters, in addition to 0dBFS, at what value would you put it?
Hmm...hard to say because you may want it lower for projects with larger track counts so it would need to be configurable but yeah, -16db with a 4db red threshold(like on the master) up to -12db would be a good starting point i think.

As i mentioned before, simply giving us all the options the master has on the tracks would be very handy.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM   #165
Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
The Loudness War is Over
Feb 8, 2011 2:22 PM, By Greg Reierson
http://mixonline.com/mixline/reierso...802/index.html

Please spread the words... I've been using replaygain for more than 5 years. So it is useless to make your songs louder than others.
I fear the day when CD's have been replaced by crappy lossy media files. But I doubt that will happen. There are at least some people left who enjoy music for quality and experience, not for "fast food". It's different when you have a physical product in your hands. You can explore the cover art, read lyrics while listening to... they all deepen the mood and experience you get from the music. And that's the way I (as a musician) would prefer to share my music to others.

cheers
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #166
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
I fear the day when CD's have been replaced by crappy lossy media files. But I doubt that will happen. There are at least some people left who enjoy music for quality and experience, not for "fast food". It's different when you have a physical product in your hands. You can explore the cover art, read lyrics while listening to... they all deepen the mood and experience you get from the music. And that's the way I (as a musician) would prefer to share my music to others.

cheers
I guess lossy or not depends on the platforms we share media files. For example, youtube always recompress the audio stream in the video I uploaded, I can do nothing about it. veoh.com doesn't recompress but it is not a popular site.

Another thing to concern is DRM but I guess it is not a real threat as people can always choose a DRM free format.

Some self-proclaimed audiophiles don't like replaygain because they think that data will be truncated and fidelity will be reduced. I simply don't care. A song in -8dB RMS has no fidelity anyway, it is just noise.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #167
h.fairchild

Default I also prefer 39bit

I have attached a screenshot of a frequency comparison of renders produced from 64fp and 39 bit interger. You be the judge!!
The orange line is 39bit, blue is 64fp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39bit vs 64bit.jpg (49.6 KB, 148 views)
h.fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 AM   #168
Billoon

If you control for other variables, they null way below any audible level.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #169
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.fairchild View Post
I have attached a screenshot of a frequency comparison of renders produced from 64fp and 39 bit interger. You be the judge!!
The orange line is 39bit, blue is 64fp
There's nothing to "judge" here, you haven't provided any proper test procedure to replicate.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #170
Kennneth

I love to see if Reaper can provide 64bit integer in the future, anyway 39bit integer is pleasing my ears at present.

Last edited by Kennneth; 03-29-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Kennneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #171
bruce8306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennneth View Post
I love to see if Reaper can provide 64bit integer in the future, anyway 39bit integer is pleasing my ears at present.
Yes! Looking forward of the 64bit integer.
bruce8306 is offline   Reply With Quote